Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In my opinion, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best anime, and it actually is on Netflix. The original Fullmetal Alchemist is skippable though.

I found the original FMA a much better series and Brotherhood IMO is a bunch of DBZ animeface garbage, with added furries. Brotherhood is also the more anime-like series if that makes any sense, it's less accessible to a new viewer. I've rewatched the original a lot, I could only stand to watch Brotherhood once.

Looking at the anime category right now, the only things I would suggest are:
-Samurai Champloo

If you watch and enjoy that, try:
-Full Metal Alchemist (not Brotherhood because it has aforementioned "animeface" jokes that I find very distracting, among other problems)
-Attack on Titan

Trigun is on there but it's just so old and wacky now. :sigh: My enjoyment of it may stem from having first watched it when I was a kid so I can't really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

turtlecrunch posted:

Trigun is on there but it's just so old and wacky now. :sigh: My enjoyment of it may stem from having first watched it when I was a kid so I can't really recommend it.

Yeah, I saw it on Adult Swim back in oh, 2003 and really enjoyed it. I think I tried watching it again about 5 or so years ago, and I think I really just liked the episodes with Wolfwood being Wolfwood.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As a kid who grew up during the Robotech days I liked the Macross Plus show I saw on Netflix. Does that count as anime? It didn't seem too totally goofy and the music is actually pretty decent.

Is it still on Netflix? It was on Netflix Canada a while back at least.

Edit: drat, don't see it anymore.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched it yet, but for anime, a lot of people in this thread recommended Mushi-Shi on Netflix. I just checked and it's not on US Netflix anymore.

Not a fan of anime in general, but I thought I'd go back and watch the original Dragon Ball series for nostalgia and to see if it held up. I've been watching it at this website which has every episode in great quality. It's also uncensored. I had no idea how sexual this show really was, and every episode has Goku completely nude and showing off his child dick. I mean, the show's good and fun, the animation's held up, but they make a big deal to hide female nudity while child nudity is prevalent. :wtc:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but for anime, a lot of people in this thread recommended Mushi-Shi on Netflix. I just checked and it's not on US Netflix anymore.

Not a fan of anime in general, but I thought I'd go back and watch the original Dragon Ball series for nostalgia and to see if it held up. I've been watching it at this website which has every episode in great quality. It's also uncensored. I had no idea how sexual this show really was, and every episode has Goku completely nude and showing off his child dick. I mean, the show's good and fun, the animation's held up, but they make a big deal to hide female nudity while child nudity is prevalent. :wtc:

origami posted:

it's anime and anime sucks

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Cross Posting from the Movie Poster thread:

A documentary about Drew Struzan is out on Netflix. Drew: The Man Behind the Poster is about Drew Struzan and how he got into the business etc. Drew Struzan is the guy who made the Indiana Jones, Star Wars Back to the Future and a lot more posters than I didn't even know about before this movie. I really really enjoyed the documentary.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Nudity of children is a lot less inherently sexual than nudity of adults, at least for most people.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Nudity of children is a lot less inherently sexual than nudity of adults, at least for most people.

Goku's nudity is never sexual, just blatant. There are a lot of sex jokes about Bulma, like Goku seeing her vagina and noticing she doesn't have balls, Bulma flashing Roshi for a Dragon Ball because she thinks she's wearing underwear but she isn't, Goku walking around patting a girls pubis after meeting them to see if there's a vagina or penis, weird things like that. I knew they censored the show for American audiences, but I'm amazed how much was in there, especially since I thought Dragon Ball is a "kids" show.

I don't watch anime, but as a person that grew up with Toonami, I have a soft spot for Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam, and those shows.

Sorry to continue the Anime derail, but someone mentioned Dragon Ball Z.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

I knew they censored the show for American audiences, but I'm amazed how much was in there, especially since I thought Dragon Ball is a "kids" show.

Dragon Ball is very much a kids' show. Japan is just a lot less uptight about this kind of thing.

I'll second the above recommendation of Mushi-shi, and add that even though it's been taken off of Netflix the entire series is available for free through the distributor's Youtube channel. It's very much the kind of "I don't like anime, but I like this" show some people may be searching for--It's not wacky, has no shots of schoolgirls' panties, and has no awkward pretense towards philosophy. It's just about out hero, a spiritualist posing as a traveling doctor, wandering from town to town in feudal Japan and exorcising forest spirits that have encroached on human communities. Or forest spirits that have been encroached on by human communities, whatever, dude's not picky.

It's a very slow-paced show, so be aware going in that it's a more meditative and laid-back show than the average hyperkinetic anime about robots and ninja. It's also steeped in old Japanese folklore, which was the main draw for me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Looks like Netflix added the original 1951 The Day The Earth Stood Still at the beginning of the new year. Great 50's sci fi flick that is well worth a watch.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

Could you post some more of these on here you'd recommend?

5th Generation:
Farewell My Concubine
Blush
Happy Together (Wong Kar Wai)
Days of Being Wild

6th Generation
Fallen Angels (Wong Kar Wai)
Fujian Blue
Drifters
Blood of Yingzhou District

Wong Kar Wai is technically second wave HK cinema, but I lumped him how I think he fits best. Sadly his best movie, Chongqing Express isn't on anymore. Honestly, Farewell My Concubine doesn't fit this overall style either, but that movie is so loving good, I couldn't go without listing it on free Chinese cinema you should see. Honorable mention to the Last Emperor, a very good film *about* China, but not made by Chinese that could still fit in the 5th generation history-shame movies nicely. There are also a number of other post-6th generation movies that are ok on queue now, but they don't have the same neorealist value at all as Frozen. Post 2005 movies are mostly commercially based movies, as opposed to the often smuggled out of the country social statements of the previous generation.

Out of netflix, required watching is undoubtedly Blind Shaft, but also Yellow Earth, Black Canon Incident, Beijing Bastards (the closest analogue you'll get to Frozen), and the Story of Qiu Ju. Its hard to watch the Story of Qiu Ju and then watch Zhang Yimou's later sellout artless movies.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Man I am loving the poo poo out of Lilyhammer.

Edit: bracket and twins haha

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 14, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

They've updated the first season of House of Cards with an audio commentary track for each episode. I didn't care for the series, but I like the idea of bringing commentary tracks to streaming.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Man I am loving the poo poo out of Lilyhammer.

Edit: bracket and twins haha

I really liked the first season of it when it first came out too, and they recently came out with season two in December. I think season two does an even better job and has a lot more humor and drama.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Just say no to watching GI Joe Retaliation. It's bad bad.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I watched The Yellow Sea because of this thread and I loved it. It's one of the most viscerally violent movies I've ever seen, but in a way that makes the violence difficult and not bad-rear end-cool-bro. It has a great twisty plot with great surprises. But, can one of you please help me with the ending?

So, I get that after all is said and done, we find out Kim Tae-Won had his bestie The Professor killed because the Professor was banging Tae-Won's woman. But it feels like the thread with the Bank Manager at the end never goes anywhere, yet it seemed so significant with the Professor's wife at the bank with the Bank Manager. My inference was that the Bank Manager was just part of Tae-Won trying to cover his tracks and hire that guy to hire the guy who hired Mr. Myung to hire the Taxi Driver to kill the professor. Was there more to it? Also, Tae-Won's head was in that box, right? Or did I way misinterpret that element?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anal Surgery posted:

So I watched The Yellow Sea because of this thread and I loved it. It's one of the most viscerally violent movies I've ever seen, but in a way that makes the violence difficult and not bad-rear end-cool-bro. It has a great twisty plot with great surprises. But, can one of you please help me with the ending?

So, I get that after all is said and done, we find out Kim Tae-Won had his bestie The Professor killed because the Professor was banging Tae-Won's woman. But it feels like the thread with the Bank Manager at the end never goes anywhere, yet it seemed so significant with the Professor's wife at the bank with the Bank Manager. My inference was that the Bank Manager was just part of Tae-Won trying to cover his tracks and hire that guy to hire the guy who hired Mr. Myung to hire the Taxi Driver to kill the professor. Was there more to it? Also, Tae-Won's head was in that box, right? Or did I way misinterpret that element?

That confused me too and I forgot to look it up until now the professor's wife and the banker are the ones who hired the driver to do the hit(who hired the other two dudes to do it for him) because they were having an affair, the protagonist was coincidentally hired by proxy by Tae-Won because the professor was having an affair with his wife and they just happened to show up at the same time to do the hit. edit: actually I might have that backwards or completely wrong? I might have to watch the movie again because now I've confused myself. I assumed it was Tae-Won's head too but I'm not sure.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 14, 2014

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

ghetto wormhole posted:

That confused me too and I forgot to look it up until now the professor's wife and the banker are the ones who hired the driver to do the hit(who hired the other two dudes to do it for him) because they were having an affair, the protagonist was coincidentally hired by proxy by Tae-Won because the professor was having an affair with his wife and they just happened to show up at the same time to do the hit. I assumed it was Tae-Won's head too but I'm not sure.

Oh poo poo that's a great twist. I love that! It's positively Hitchcockian. Makes total sense too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anal Surgery posted:

Oh poo poo that's a great twist. I love that! It's positively Hitchcockian. Makes total sense too.

It actually might be more complicated than that and I might've had it backwards or something? I'm gonna have to watch the movie again to figure it out I think. Either way it's pretty great.

edit:Yeah I had it backwards, Tae-Won hired the driver, the professor's wife and banker hired the protagonist by proxy. I'm not entirely sure why he didn't go after them at the end and I'm not sure about what the relationship between the Chinese leader and Tae-Won is or between Tae-Won and the banker, gently caress it's complicated

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 14, 2014

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer

Anal Surgery posted:

Reference the box. I assumed it was his wife's ashes since he paid someone to have it done and was headed home finally.

To be totally fair I was pretty distracted at the end.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Khorne Flakes posted:

I really liked the first season of it when it first came out too, and they recently came out with season two in December. I think season two does an even better job and has a lot more humor and drama.

That's good to hear. I'm only near the beginning of s1 and I take forever to watch any shows

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

iv46vi posted:

Just say no to watching GI Joe Retaliation. It's bad bad.

This is not on Netflix, just so everyone knows. Unless it's on a non-American Netflix.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

turtlecrunch posted:

If you watch and enjoy that, try:
-Attack on Titan

I ended up burning through this on free Hulu a few nights ago in the course of a weekend. I liked it, for some reason, and maybe because it didn't fall back on all the typical modern anime tactics of being quirky and wacky for the sake of being quirky/wacky, harems, characters getting the overdone anime expressions, etc. It sort of felt like an 80s anime to me with a modern design behind it.

If I do have some specific complaint on the show is that so many of them featured replayed footage of the previous episode at the start of each new episode that make the episodes feel a bit longer than they really are. It sort of feels like maybe several episodes could have edited together in a single movie-length story and still come in at about 2.5 hours or so. (Edit episodes 1-8, 9-16, and 17-25 into very long films)

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

thrawn527 posted:

This is not on Netflix, just so everyone knows. Unless it's on a non-American Netflix.

It's on Netflix Canada. I've been using VPN because Netflix Canada have so much more selection than Netflix USA.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Erasing Hate is a pretty interesting doc about an ex-skinhead who wants to get rid of his past. One of the goals is to remove his tattoos so he can get a job because he's all tatted up in messed up poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

mod sassinator posted:

Looks like Netflix added the original 1951 The Day The Earth Stood Still at the beginning of the new year. Great 50's sci fi flick that is well worth a watch.

Oh hell yeah, I love this movie. Gort is one of my favorite Sci-fi robots.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I ended up burning through this on free Hulu a few nights ago in the course of a weekend. I liked it, for some reason, and maybe because it didn't fall back on all the typical modern anime tactics of being quirky and wacky for the sake of being quirky/wacky, harems, characters getting the overdone anime expressions, etc. It sort of felt like an 80s anime to me with a modern design behind it.

If I do have some specific complaint on the show is that so many of them featured replayed footage of the previous episode at the start of each new episode that make the episodes feel a bit longer than they really are. It sort of feels like maybe several episodes could have edited together in a single movie-length story and still come in at about 2.5 hours or so. (Edit episodes 1-8, 9-16, and 17-25 into very long films)

It is my understanding that the production on Attack was very troubled and they were finishing episodes very close to airing, so it started off pretty strong and then choked on itself for the middle act before finally having actual animation in the last few episodes again.

I would watch it last out of those recommendations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Has anyone watched/can recommend Shrek: The Musical? I want to watch it for Sutton Foster but I don't want to watch it because everything else. Someone alleviate my fears and tell me its good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Shrek is dreck.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
For any fans of Jesus and Mary Chain/MBV/Primal Scream/Teenage Fanclub/Awesome early to mid 90's British music, Upside Down:The Creation Record Story is a must. Great interviews and some little seen live/promo footage of the bands.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Caught the documentary Cleanflix, about the Mormon-based movie editing business, thanks to some earlier recommendations. I wouldn't recommend it, as it falls somewhere between a cultural examination of Mormon beliefs, the rise and fall of a niche industry and a character piece, but does none of those successfully. Mostly surface observations about an interesting niche industry that is probably on life support now with easy streaming services.

I think it's pretty clear that it should've been a short documentary examination of the main character from the back half of the movie — 30 minutes at most. He's an unashamed capitalist who uses questionable business practices but caters to one of the most morally "upright" groups in the US.

The information in the final act, that this business owner had sex with underage girls, is almost muted by the implication earlier in the documentary that he was running a front for child porn. Now THAT would be crazy! But to take someone who is clearly in it for the money and say that the sexual repression of Mormonism might lead to this behavior doesn't follow considering that he himself admits to being in the business for the money alone and doesn't seem particularly devout.

I would've rather followed some of these families who are willing to watch decapitations in Braveheart rather than hear "Son of a bitch!" in a movie. Especially when some edited films deal with real events (Schindler's List in particular was an interesting choice to be "sanitized.") I would catch This Film is Not Yet Rated before watching this.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Well I watched all of Europe Report because of goon reviews and that I love space movies like a stupid nerd. Wow, what a boring piece of poo poo with a goddamn squid monster at the end. Do me better next time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jack Reacher was terrible anti-government libertarian fantasy power trip bullshit. Don't watch it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

theflyingexecutive posted:

Jack Reacher was terrible anti-government libertarian fantasy power trip bullshit. Don't watch it.

This is true, however, I cannot wait for the porno adaptation "Jack Reacharound" to arrive.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I like Jacob's ladder, but I find it a bit confusing. So if the guy died in Vietnam, was the stuff he did when his son was alive the only real part of his life and was the rest of it just imagination? Were the army experiments real or not? If they weren't, why was that explanation in the story? Were the parts with the fever and living with his new girlfriend fake? And so on and so on. This movie probably started a lot of modern day cliches and so they weren't cliches back in the day, but it feels a a little tired now. Good movie though.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

It's entertaining if you think of it as a comedy instead of an earnest fight-the-power action movie, with Jack as unhinged instead of heroic. There are enough tongue-in-cheek moments that I have trouble understanding how it could be taken at face value anyway.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 15, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Daedra posted:

Well I watched all of Europa Report because of goon reviews and that I love space movies like a stupid nerd. Wow, what a boring piece of poo poo with a goddamn squid monster at the end. Do me better next time.

I also caught this movie, and disagree. A solid "B" for me. Scientists who act like scientists, a mission that focuses on the wonder and danger of exploration, and a really well executed use of the "found-footage" conceit. I think the reframing at the end of the movie is important, because Yes, giant squid. But as much as I'd rather it have been a bright light or something, having the stereotypical British CEO explain in context that this means the mission was a spectacular success reframes the whole movie as one of discovery as opposed to a straight-up horror movie. It's like the opposite of ending your movie with a jump scare, where the protagonist thinks they're safe but it was all for naught. Here finding a monster was in a way a great outcome.

It made the part of me that attended Space Camp as a kid have a really good time. Also reminded me of the obscure video game Absolute Zero, dunno if anyone remembers that one. But give this one a try, and watch at least thirty minutes in before you pass judgment, the opening frame story is a little jarring until it gets going.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

It felt like Tom Cruise automatically assumed every woman he talked to wanted to sleep with him and he had a moral obligation to eye roll super hard at them.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Scientists who act like scientists,

I keep hearing this phrase bandied about in praise of Europa Report, and I can't begin to imagine how this idea got started or why people started buying into it. Scientists do not have nervous breakdowns fifteen minutes into a mission, disobey direct orders from their commanding officers, or have petty squabbles in the common area. There are a few moments where they rise above horror cliches and act like believable men and women of science, but those moments don't happen nearly often enough. Most of the action is still predicated on assholes making real bad decisions so that the lurking horror can get a foothold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Scientists do not have nervous breakdowns fifteen minutes into a mission, disobey direct orders from their commanding officers, or have petty squabbles in the common area.
Scientists aren't human?

• Locked thread