Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So on Intelligence, how come in once scene Sawyer is in constant contact, yet when he is kidnapped, he isn't? You'd think he could upload everything he sees, or at least a voice comm?

Also, at the end, they just let everyone else in that complex go and just kept wounded Chinese leader guy? Why would they do that?

So basically, they now have to assume everyone knows about their super agent (since that rogue enemy knew all about it), how the hell can they use him undercover anymore?

I'm guessing the writing is bad.

I'll probably watch it until it's cancelled. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cactus posted:

I have to admit, despite the fact that I want to be a good, progressive person, despite the fact that I'm aware of the concept of privilege and that I have it because by chance I was born a straight white male, despite the fact that I know I'll never truly fathom what life is like without that privilege and despite the fact that I'd love society to be a better place without these issues, even though I knew Skyler was being completely reasonable and acting in a way I would probably act if in her shoes, a part of me still loving cheered and fist-pumped when Walt asked Skyler to climb down out of his rear end.

1) You're trying way too hard to have the "correct" opinion when no such thing exists. Get over yourself.

2) Skylar is a realistic and, some might argue, sympathetic character. That doesn't mean she has to be likable, even when she's in the right.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Because it's on HBO and has ardent critics championing it. that's why the higher standard.

anyway, lot of people misinterpreted me, which is okay, because the conversation that followed has been interesting. Since I haven't seen Girls, my comparison on Lena Dunham's character in the show and Skyler in Breaking Bad was based on audience reactions. And despite actually saying in my post I don't think criticizing Girls is inherently misogynistic, people thought I was saying that anyway because that's what they wanted me to be saying so they had a convenient strawman. No, I mean to say that many of the critiques of Girls (couldn't say what percent because I don't make it a habit of reading writing about the show all the time) appear to have misogynistic undertones, disguised as concern trolling, moral judgment, and using the subjective (and useless) observation that the character is "annoying". Now, people can use these critiques, too, and not be misogynist, it's just a matter of tone and delivery. The problem is that these male viewers don't have the self-awareness to monitor their tone. I'd wager some of them scarcely ever realize how much they've internalized patriarchal thought, and would be horrified to know it (although that could just be me trying to give people the benefit of the doubt). People assume when we talk misogyny that the accusation is being leveled at conscious misogyny, but most misogyny is NOT conscious, and I think Breaking Bad and Girls criticisms serve as a valuable litmus test because they reveal these unconscious misogynist leanings.

Anyway, to answer Cactus's hypothetical, a female version of The Big Lebowski would be a critically acclaimed but obscure Sundance film that would play in a max of 20 theaters in the US, and receive some venomous reviews from the few internet monsters that caught it in theaters. The same critiques leveled at Lena Dunham's Hannah would be applied to "the Dudette" or whatever. Some feminist writers might dislike the film, too, complaining that the character makes women look bad (when in fact allowing women to be complicated and fallible onscreen ought to be in the interest of all feminists, but you know how self-defeating intellectual movements can be at times).

I like that you brought up Schmidt, Cactus, because I think he's actually an admirably complex, brilliantly written character who exposes the vulnerability behind many men's desperate objectification of women. Schmidt's douchebaggery is not who he is, essentially, but who he badly wants to be. Underneath that facade there's an essential sweetness, and that's the real attraction of the character. I think he really came into his own when it was shown that in college he was a fat kid desperate to please. He built this Schmitty (on rock and roll).

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, Conan O'Brien has an illegitimate son who didn't get any of the funny DNA. Poor kid.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

Anyway, to answer Cactus's hypothetical, a female version of The Big Lebowski would be a critically acclaimed but obscure Sundance film that would play in a max of 20 theaters in the US, and receive some venomous reviews from the few internet monsters that caught it in theaters.

Ignorance is a great way to reinforce your world view.

The Big Lebowski grossed 17 million
Young Adult grossed 16 million

The film was a critical darling, but the man of the street had a much different opinion.

Amazon One Star Reviews posted:

I kept watching, thinking...something is going to happen, a change of heart, a revelation an epiphany, maybe a totally unexpected twist...anything to make this uncomfortable, miserable, dark and hopeless movie redeem itself. Sadly, it was just a horrible movie.

quote:

Every single actor in this movie is so talented you want to keep watching them - but Young Adult is so terrible you wind up cursing these excellent actors for making you actually sit through this self indulgent nonsense. The writing to this is just really really bad. I wish I could give only a fraction of a star.

Except the hate wasn't directed towards Thuermaon ("Dudette") or Diablo Cody (who wrote it), but to the film as a piece of work.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 13, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Cross-posting this news from the schedule thread:

Scheduled dates for Cosmos and the 24 Miniseries.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5304284/24-live-another-day-premiere-date-cosmos-fox

quote:

After four years off the air, 24 will return to Fox on May 5th at 8PM, when a two-hour premiere will lead us into Jack Bauer's next battle against terrorism, reports Deadline. The show's return has been in the works for a while now, first in the form of a movie and ultimately as this 12-episode miniseries, titled 24: Live Another Day.

JACK AND CHLOE ARE BACK

While a miniseries may seem to oppose the show's premise, Live Another Day will still air in real time over the course of individual hours, only now time will elapse between each episode. Aside from Kiefer Sutherland, who plays Bauer, Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe O'Brian is the only other major returning character — though that may have to do more with the show's casualty count than the new production's ability to sign actors.

This spring will also see the premiere of Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. According to Deadline, the series will debut on Fox on March 9th at 9PM, with bonus footage coming to the National Geographic Channel a day later at 10PM. Tyson's show is a reboot of Carl Sagan's revered Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, a short series with a broad scientific focus that first aired in 1980. Tyson's Cosmos will explore the discovery of physics, with a promise to present complicated concepts in clear ways and with a proper dose of grandeur. It too will be a limited series, with only 13 episodes, though that'll still leave plenty to watch on Fox over the next several months.

:twentyfour:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Irish Joe posted:

Except the hate wasn't directed towards Thurman ("Dudette")
Uma looks weird in that poster.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh gently caress me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jesus! True Detective is good. I mean amazingly good.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It is excellent, in large part thanks to the two leads. It's not as good as Hannibal, but it comes close.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The new 24 season will have Yvonne Strahovski in it, so there's that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

1) You're trying way too hard to have the "correct" opinion when no such thing exists. Get over yourself.

2) Skylar is a realistic and, some might argue, sympathetic character. That doesn't mean she has to be likable, even when she's in the right.

Why yes, I do try to go through life adjusting my opinions on things so that they are better.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

ufarn posted:

The new 24 season will have Yvonne Strahovski in it, so there's that.

So did the last season of Dexter. Yurgh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last two seasons of Dexter. And also I, Frankenstein.

I wonder if she has the same agent as Cuba Gooding Jr.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Potentially huge: Fox is skipping pilot season altogether.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Its good looking too. Although the thing that struck me was how realistic the shithole neighborhoods were.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

quote:

Damon Lindelof noted at another TCA panel that “when you slow down the conveyer belt the quality goes up.”

Yes, when I think of Lost the first thing I think is "plot felt too rushed".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Joramun posted:

It is excellent, in large part thanks to the two leads. It's not as good as Hannibal, but it comes close.

I'm liking the first episode better than I liked the first episode of Hannibal and I really liked the first episode of Hannibal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

So what about say, House? Or the characters on Raising Hope? Or Barney from HIMYM?

House may be an rear end in a top hat who sometimes does terrible things, but he is also presented - even early in the show - as someone who does actually care, and his bad deeds are generally limited to "pranks" or "saving someone's life". You decry the comparison to Walter White, but you go to House for comparison - someone who is supposed to be essentially the greatest diagnostic doctor in the world?

Raising Hope and HIMYM, I'd argue, are "fantasy" shows. They don't deal in, or pretend to deal in, the "real world". Dunham has gone to great lengths to explain that Girls is supposed to be "real". People can like The Naughty Villain because it's make believe. And while I admit I don't quite remember too well, what terrible things did Jimmy do on Raising Hope? :confused:

As to your last paragraph, in my last post I compared Hannah to Jerry, George and Elaine from Seinfeld, not Meth King Walter White or Sociopath Don Draper. I think that is a most realistic comparison.

Also, I have the flu really bad so if this doesn't make much sense, blame viruses. Virii?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah the Chance family on Raising hope are fundamentally good people, they are just poor and have to deal with that. Burt and Virginia were lovely parents but they are making up for it as grandparents.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Ignorance is a great way to reinforce your world view.

The Big Lebowski grossed 17 million
Young Adult grossed 16 million

The film was a critical darling, but the man of the street had a much different opinion.

Except the hate wasn't directed towards Thuermaon ("Dudette") or Diablo Cody (who wrote it), but to the film as a piece of work.

Actually, Diablo Cody is a great name to bring up in this whole discussion, because she illicits a very similar reaction from the people most of us are complaining about (that is, stupid people on the internet who don't like Girls for incredibly shallow reasons like "why does the lead get naked all the time?") Even speaking her name brings up the (incredibly undeserved) hatred that sprouted when Juno and Jennifer's Body came out, simply because she is a particularly stylistic writer who doesn't pander to the type of audience most likely to hang out in the comment section of The AV Club. Lena Dunham is almost certainly in that same sort of bubble, a writer who has a very outgoing personality, essentially writes what she knows, which is "White Women", and gets all this hate from a part of the internet that normally they shouldn't bother listening to, were they not the primary writers on a bunch of TV blogs, and constantly all over Twitter.

Of course, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to not like Diablo Cody or Lena Dunham, because to each their own, etc etc etc, but there's a level of viritol aimed at them that is very rarely seen among art types (musicians/actors/writers/what have you), and I almost entirely notice this sort of anger toward women. Even Michael Bay, who is probably the man who has gotten to this particular level the most, has people saying "but he makes a drat good explosion" or noting that The Rock/Bad Boys/Con Air are still good. If you listened to certain corners of the 'net, you'd think that Dunham or Cody were only making TV/Movies that make Jack and Jill look like Forrest Gump.

edit: Show of hands, who here watched the Season 3 Girls premiere last night? (Not trying to shame any/everyone, I haven't either, but I hopefully will tonight/tomorrow)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Show of hands, who here watched the Season 3 Girls premiere last night? (Not trying to shame any/everyone, I haven't either, but I hopefully will tonight/tomorrow)

I have and enjoyed it like always (particularly all of Shoshanna's dialogue in the second episode). Though there was definitely too much naked Adam. I don't understand why he has to be naked all the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good news! HBO put up the first two episodes of Girls season 3 on Youtube for free viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJtd6hBeRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRhMrMVyaPw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Come on, I liked Juno (despite a few cringe inducing lines like "I BOUGHT A SONIC YOUTH ALBUM AND IT WAS NOTHING BUT NOISE") but Jennifer's Body really was just awful. Is there seriously anyone who enjoyed that piece of hot garbage?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Come on, I liked Juno (despite a few cringe inducing lines like "I BOUGHT A SONIC YOUTH ALBUM AND IT WAS NOTHING BUT NOISE") but Jennifer's Body really was just awful. Is there seriously anyone who enjoyed that piece of hot garbage?

This guy right here! Might have helped that I caught it at the Toronto Film Festival with the director in the audience, that tends to skew your reaction.

And really, Girls convo really does act like a lead balloon in this thread. The same people spouting the same opinions ad nauseum. Its really not fun to read.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Fine, I'll be the voice of reason. It's an utterly mediocre show that I stopped watching after a few episodes because I just didn't like it for some reason I don't remember. The show seems to straddle the mediocrity line of "some people find it offensively bad" side while also on the "this show is brilliant you plebs just don't get it" side.

At this point I think both sides are just trolling each other back and forth. The only winner will be me, I am the Switzerland of Girls debate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If it helps, I really like how Season 3 of Girls started. Though perhaps it's telling that the first episode was amazing because of Jessa, Adam, and Kim Gordon and Hannah was the B-plot... still, things are looking up.

e: And I will say this, people who complain about Lena Dunham getting naked are just asinine. First of all, she's actually pretty attractive - I mean I don't watch the show and get all horny, but she's perfectly pleasant to look at. And even if you do think she's "ugly", I cannot count the number of times I've seen ugly hairy naked men in movies and shows. Did we really need naked Harvey Keitel in The Piano? :gonk:

precision fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 13, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Seeing naked people, attractive or not, has never bothered me and it's one of those things I'll never comprehend why it bothers some others. Lots of time spent on European beaches as a child must have desensitised me to that kind of thing.

Agreed, Girls has kicked off to a great start this year (only seen the first ep) within the first 5 minutes I was already laughing at the terrible people saying the terrible things. Jess killed it in the group therapy sessions as well, it was cathartic to watch.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Not sure if this was known, but the next season of the Newsroom will be the last - http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=113461

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cactus posted:

Seeing naked people, attractive or not, has never bothered me and it's one of those things I'll never comprehend why it bothers some others.

Honestly, same here. I'm not trying to sound all progressive and smug, I have just reached a point in life (a long time ago, really) where essentially nothing makes me uncomfortable. It makes other people really uncomfortable as they try harder and harder to provoke a visceral response from me. At this point I'm always kind of amazed that anyone is made uncomfortable by seeing people naked or hearing people talk about sex.

:smug: / :shrug:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

devoir posted:

Not sure if this was known, but the next season of the Newsroom will be the last - http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=113461

Season 2 was so drat bad. I thought I hated season 1 overall but I rewatched them and actually liked S1 a lot more than I did livewatching it. S2 remained terrible.

I hope we get Sam Waterston playing the same character on something else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, the third episode of Sherlock. :psypop:

I know it's divisive and some people hated it, but for my money season 3 is better than the first two combined.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I will say that for all its faults, Sherlock has the most realistic portrayal of someone 'thinking through a problem' I've ever seen on television. There are no epiphanies, characters don't shout "Eureka!" like clockwork at the 40 minute mark, and solutions aren't triggered by utter coincidences. When Sherlock goes to his Mind Palace, he's actually recalling facts and ideas by making mental connections like a real person would. Its a refreshing take on a genre that has become stale and formulaic over the last decade.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

precision posted:

I know it's divisive and some people hated it, but for my money season 3 is better than the first two combined.

Just when I think you and I are destined to be polar opposites in everything, an opinion comes out with which I wholeheartedly agree.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

I agree completely, and I can't wait to see the reaction of the folks who are waiting for it to air in the states.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

I will say that for all its faults, Sherlock has the most realistic portrayal of someone 'thinking through a problem' I've ever seen on television. There are no epiphanies, characters don't shout "Eureka!" like clockwork at the 40 minute mark, and solutions aren't triggered by utter coincidences. When Sherlock goes to his Mind Palace, he's actually recalling facts and ideas by making mental connections like a real person would. Its a refreshing take on a genre that has become stale and formulaic over the last decade.

Sophia posted:

Just when I think you and I are destined to be polar opposites in everything, an opinion comes out with which I wholeheartedly agree.

cool kids inc. posted:

I agree completely, and I can't wait to see the reaction of the folks who are waiting for it to air in the states.

OK now if DivisionPost agrees I think we have Bingo.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The funny part is everyone in here is in agreement that Sherlock owns while reading the actual Sherlock thread makes it sound like the last scene of this season was Steven Moffat filming himself taking a poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Another good thing about Sherlock is they're clear that he doesn't just magically know things. From the little bits we see between cases he spends a lot of time reading and researching stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I am still waiting for it to air on PBS. :smith:

• Locked thread