Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I just hope their future plans aren't XBLA for a year before they land on PC.
Windows Phone exclusive MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'd bet that since State of Decay did so well on the PC and 360, Microsoft would try to leverage that Class 4 MMO into an Xbone exclusive.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'd bet that since State of Decay did so well on the PC and 360, Microsoft would try to leverage that Class 4 MMO into an Xbone exclusive.

Yeah, I would assume at this point that if they're doing business with MS, MS would want it for the Xbone and the heck with the PC.

This makes me think about what happened with Kingdoms of Amalur, which was another single-player game that was going to be the springboard into an MMO and, well, that didn't go so well (more due to the mismanagement of the company than any actual game production though).

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Game is finally starting to get harder at breakdown 13.

Actually have to be careful now.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Zyla posted:

I'm starting to lose survivors legitimately at level 10 now. In the past, if a survivor died it was because I was foolhardy or lazy and didn't go out prepared. Now I'm losing survivors from the sheer amount of runners and specials, even with all best practices in place. I'm actually excited that I'm dying and the game's becoming more fun for me now. That sounds weird but it's true - I'm treating it like a roguelike. I imagine I'll eventually get to a breakdown level where all my maxed out survivors will be picked off one at a time, and all that'll be left will be the scrubs. And then they'll get overwhelmed by hordes at the home base and everyone will become zombie food. And it will be glorious.

Another fun part for me in playing on a high breakdown level is the fact that you're on foot a lot more. There's tons of little nooks and areas of the map I've never seen before because I've always had a million cars to use. I'm really enjoying the house-to-house warfare on foot, you really feel like you're clawing for every house and building.

Yar The Pirate posted:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if the project Undead Labs is working on for MS isn't an XBox One exclusive.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 14, 2014

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Snacks no longer get demolished by your enclave after logging out now thanks to that last patch, or what? Is Ammo/stockpile updating in general fixed, or still pretty broken?

I want to start a Breakdown game, but I just keep... not starting it.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

S.T.C.A. posted:

Snacks no longer get demolished by your enclave after logging out now thanks to that last patch, or what? Is Ammo/stockpile updating in general fixed, or still pretty broken?

I want to start a Breakdown game, but I just keep... not starting it.

I'm not sure the patch did much in the way of snacks. Before, I would usually log in to 2 snacks left no matter how many I had when logged out. Tried it again after the patch - 6 snacks left. So yeah, the survivors are still shoving their faces with all my Little Debbies' when I'm not online.

The stockpile caps have been increased, which is nice. There's still a bug though that if you exceed the maximum amount for a certain resource, you'll constantly get a pop up message warning you that you've exceeded this maximum, for the rest of your Breakdown playthrough, even if you drop back below the maximum.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
The snacks still get reduced by <population> every day. So if you have 8 survivors, that's 8 snacks/day, which is a significant drain.

Not sure on the ammo part... I'm still using survivors as ammo-mules.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Zyla posted:

Whats making the game harder, is it more special spawns or are the zombies actually more aggressive.

Tempted to rebuy this on steam I got the original on 360

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The zombies also do a lot more damage, especially when they grab & bite you. At higher breakdown levels, this can lead to 1/2 of your health bar. Combined with more runners, and the higher frequency of ferals, even a single mistake can easily kill even a fully leveled survivor. Car and resource frequency is also drastically lower.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VoLaTiLe posted:

Whats making the game harder, is it more special spawns or are the zombies actually more aggressive.

Both. If you break a window on wave 4-6, you will attract two dozen or more zombies from neighboring buildings pretty often, for instance.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

VoLaTiLe posted:

The multipliers are starting to stack up pretty fierce. Mostly the spawn rate is jacked way the gently caress up and they get denser and denser every wave. I'm at breakdown 14 (29th all time breakdown score now :stare:) and I've started having to always bring an ally with me because I simply cannot kill that many zombies before I get overwhelmed, even with really good dodge timing. Bloaters become a real problem as there are many times where there are multiples, and I've started an aversion towards hitting hordes because bloaters are starting to be hiding a midst the carnage.

There's still no problem a bunch of petrol bombs can't solve, and Whistling Box Mines are loving amazing. You drop one and that area is basically clear for a while. Another thing I find myself needing to do more and more is to make sure that houses are clear to get the safe zone extended. Zombies can and will spawn at higher breakdowns literally out of nowhere and right in front of you if the ground is not declared safe by clearing or outposts.

Crowd control becomes really huge and clocks and babies and firecrackers are supremely useful get out of jail free cards.

what needs some work, imo, is the usefulness of some of the guns. They simply don't offer enough killing power to be all that useful. The only thing I use them for is popping bloaters, and sometimes the screamers.

Revolvers are spectacularly useless.

When every fourth or fifth zombie has armor, guns stop being useful at all.

Powerhouse Edged Weapon Spec is pretty much the only way to roll. Being able to one or two shot most zombies is way more important than anything else. Reflex Sweep Kick is cool, but the time you spend being locked in an execution animation is time you get hit anyway. To me, it makes Marcus the best hero. Getting leadership along with powerhouse is an amazing thing. I guess it doesn't matter that much, but maxed out, often the first mission with an enclave will max out friendship and make them recruitable. There's still very little upside to recruiting more people once you have an ideal set of 6.

My current 6 is

Marcus -Edged/Rage
Ed -Ninja/Edged
Amelia (parkour chick) - Fitness Marathon Specced
A random that has both Medicine and Construction
Diane - For aritillery, backup Fitness, backup Leadership
Ray Santos - For the cars, backup Construction.

I'm only missing cooking and that is such a minor bonus I'm not worrying about it too hard. I made huge stacks of incendaries on a lower difficulty coming up that I don't need a chemist at the moment, and besides, a machine shop is not optional with the lack of cars at these difficulties. I think maybe a dozen spawn across the entire map at this point.

bean mom fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 16, 2014

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anyone know what triggers the Home Away from Home mission, in which you can select a new home base? I've completed the one before that and played several in-game days but I don't know what I need to do in order to progress to it.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I just picked this and Breakdown up yesterday and want to be a ninja, because if I was in an actual zompocalypse I'd want to be the guy who doesn't get spotted and eaten by zombies. Is there anything to do to accomplish that goal aside from maxing the Wits skill and sticking suppressors on guns?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Valatar posted:

I just picked this and Breakdown up yesterday and want to be a ninja, because if I was in an actual zompocalypse I'd want to be the guy who doesn't get spotted and eaten by zombies. Is there anything to do to accomplish that goal aside from maxing the Wits skill and sticking suppressors on guns?

Get really good at using stealth kills, but iirc stealth kills still make sound and attract nearby zombies. Which at least kind of makes sense that they'd hear you smashing another zombie's head into the ground like a ripe mango.

You could also use lots of firecrackers and bomb-type items to be a ninja that lays sound-traps, lies in wait, and then unleashes fiery (ninja) hell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Valatar posted:

Use distractions a lot. Stealth isn't super useful most of the time (although in houses while looting/exploring it's good until one of the zombies sitting in a corner Matrix-leaps at you from behind) but firecrackers, talking dolls, alarm clocks, egg timers, etc, are all excellent distractions. So is firing a gun or breaking a window and then hopping a fence and running around t the other side of a building.

You still want to be carrying a stack or two of twinkies and munch them constantly while sprinting around.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Valatar posted:

In addition to what other people have said, edged weapons are quieter than blunt or heavy weapons, so they'll attract less attention. Downside is that they have lower durability and are less effective in the hands of lower-skilled characters (conversely, highly-skilled characters with edged weapons will effortlessly destroy all that stand in their way).

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to deal with the wall leaning zombies? They seem impossible to sneak up on.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Valatar posted:

Is there any way to deal with the wall leaning zombies? They seem impossible to sneak up on.

Shoot them in the head. Same goes for those annoying sitting-on-the-floor fuckers who will always launch into a magical homing impossible-to-dodge jump attack as soon as you get too close. Silenced weapon, one bullet, taken care of.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Shoot them in the head. Same goes for those annoying sitting-on-the-floor fuckers who will always launch into a magical homing impossible-to-dodge jump attack as soon as you get too close. Silenced weapon, one bullet, taken care of.

Ever since tweaking the rates of ammo drops, shooting has been my go-to solution for everything. No materials? Shoot a house until materials come out. No food? Shoot cows until food comes out. No medicine? Shoot doctors until medicine comes out.
I've also removed all guns not in service during the Vietnam conflict.

My personal edition of Breakdown is Zombienam.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Finally finished up the vanilla version of the game last night just to grab the story-related achievements, and I'm happy I can get back to Breakdown now because that was sort of pointless. The story missions all just seemed to be there just to force you to check out different points of the map and to fight special zombies, and the driving just to see a short cutscene was maddening. I actually held off moving my people out of the church and to Snyder's until the Wilkerson's stuff was done because I didn't want to be driving across the entire map to get to it.

I should be thankful that none of the story missions glitched out and stopped showing up, but there were a few times there I was certain it was going to happen. I basically had to drag out the last part of the game over two nights (the Army missions) because they took forever to come up. Near the end, I came back to the base and one of those cutscenes played (with Doc Hansen); I left the base for two minutes, came back and there was a cutscene with Sgt. Tan. I started following him out of the building and wondered where he was going, and I wonder if the missions not popping for people is because an NPC is getting stuck somewhere after they spawn for a cutscene or mission.

Still, I'm having way more fun with this game than I thought I was.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Valatar posted:

Use the dodge button. The sitting ones are easy to deal with, I don't know which wall-leaning ones you mean (the ones banging their heads against the wall?), but probably not much harder there. Time it right and you can do a neat counter attack, too.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Woebin posted:

Use the dodge button. The sitting ones are easy to deal with, I don't know which wall-leaning ones you mean (the ones banging their heads against the wall?), but probably not much harder there. Time it right and you can do a neat counter attack, too.

Rolling straight into them works pretty good too. Also, if you have Leapfrog, using that from 10ft away will make you slide over in front of them, stand them up, and then leapfrog over them, nullifying their insta-grab move.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

"Wait, we need to turn back, my puppy Sam is still on the porch!"

"He's already dead, ma'am"

*hits gas pedal*

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 19, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just need to get the sniper to regain my 100% completion. I've got the hang of how it works now, it's just a grind. Especially when army zombies get in the way and ruin a streak at the last one.

I wonder when the next DLC will be announced?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

You should really take a police cruiser through there and see how many you can get in one spot. Or use some firecrackers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The latest patch introduced an amusing new bug - the kanabo is now invisible and makes no noise when used, so it looks like you're making silly gestures at zombies until their heads spontaneously explode.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Double postin', but it's been a few days since the last one so whatever. In addition to new bugs, the latest patch has reintroduced an old one from the original release-day version of the game. Remember our old friend 'people eventually stop manning the watchtower'? He's back, baby! Mine's been completely unused for three ingame days, despite there being someone assigned to guard duty.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Double postin', but it's been a few days since the last one so whatever. In addition to new bugs, the latest patch has reintroduced an old one from the original release-day version of the game. Remember our old friend 'people eventually stop manning the watchtower'? He's back, baby! Mine's been completely unused for three ingame days, despite there being someone assigned to guard duty.

I always overlap my outposts with my main base, I guess maybe I shouldn't.

Also dear god my Breakdown Playthrough has me at 15th globally, and I'll be in the top ten once I ascend to the next one.

I fear i am addicted.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Zyla posted:

I always overlap my outposts with my main base, I guess maybe I shouldn't.

Also dear god my Breakdown Playthrough has me at 15th globally, and I'll be in the top ten once I ascend to the next one.

I fear i am addicted.

What level Breakdown are you at?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Can you use the counter defensive specialization against the huge zombies?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

What level Breakdown are you at?

18 I think. Difficulty seems to have slowed down considerably. I'm kinda chilling at it grinding out the last couple of unlocks (The Father and Sniper. Just did Ninja.)

If I cashed in now, I'd have the highest cumulative score on the leaderboard now.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The 'people don't man the watchtower' bug interestingly seems to apply only to the watchtower. As soon as I upgraded to a shooting platform someone immediately ran over there and started sniping zeds.

I've been trying Breakdown again after a long hiatus, and the 'Fighter' hero you get for killing 5 Ferals at level 3 or above is awesome. Powerhouse, maxed-out Fighting and Cardio, and she starts with a unique 5-durability heavy weapon and a high-capacity .22 semi-auto pistol. Plus, she looks cool.

I'm currently pretty stable and am building a huge community centered around building Box Mines, Fougasses, Chemical Incendiaries, and Stims to help me out on higher Breakdown levels. I don't need them now, but they'll come in handy later. As my community grows, I've instituted a 'kick out all douchebags' policy. If you're just scared or sad, I'll help you out, but if someone is consistently an rear end in a top hat, out they go. Marshall is now heavily populated by the rear end in a top hat refugees I didn't want. They're actually more useful now that I've kicked them out, because I can sell useless poo poo to them for influence, buy ammo from them, and take advantage of the little safe-zones they create.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 25, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Just suffered my first significant, unintentional loss (as opposed to the droves of alcoholics and bums I casually walk out the door into a horde of zombies). Got a "Ally in Trouble" mission, so I dutifully went to rescue my full 7 star ninja huddled in a house. After rescuing him, he managed to walk straight into a feral waiting behind a fence, and I didn't get any warning until a little "Daniel is dead" message pops up on the screen. I managed to kill the feral and reclaim his stuff, but now my other ninja has a huge survivors guilt complex.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just moved to the Snyder Trucking Warehouse and to build the watchtower it says I need to find metal sheeting. It has created a magnifying glass over a warehouse, which is totally empty (had a single molotov in it) and says fully searched, but nothing changes when I get there - no other locations appear, no message about finding it. Anyone know how I'm meant to get this metal sheeting? Googling only results in 1 GameFAQs thread which doesn't help.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Anjow posted:

I just moved to the Snyder Trucking Warehouse and to build the watchtower it says I need to find metal sheeting. It has created a magnifying glass over a warehouse, which is totally empty (had a single molotov in it) and says fully searched, but nothing changes when I get there - no other locations appear, no message about finding it. Anyone know how I'm meant to get this metal sheeting? Googling only results in 1 GameFAQs thread which doesn't help.

Just click the icon on the map and it will show houses with possible spawns. It's a mission indicator rather than a search indicator.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
Pretty often, just continuing to randomly search houses or wherever, nowhere near the mission waypoint, will turn up the specific stuff needed for finishing a facility too.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Voyeur posted:

Pretty often, just continuing to randomly search houses or wherever, nowhere near the mission waypoint, will turn up the specific stuff needed for finishing a facility too.

Yeah, I think all you have to do is search the right kind of item container. For example, a medicine cabinet for latex gloves or a toolbox for nuts and bolts. The indicators just point you to structures that could potentially have those objects searchable.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Skaw posted:

Yeah, I think all you have to do is search the right kind of item container. For example, a medicine cabinet for latex gloves or a toolbox for nuts and bolts. The indicators just point you to structures that could potentially have those objects searchable.

Which, for most things, are Construction Materials type containers. Also, there is a strong tendency towards multiple 'required items' appearing in the same container, just keep searching the container after the first pops up. So if you can initiate all your construction projects at once, then wait for them all to need something, you can likely find them all in one spot. I've had great luck with the materials storage right out front Snyders, or the warehouse next to the Grange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Cashed in my Breakdown 17, which should have given me the #1 breakdown run through score globally but it didn't add at all! :mad:

Breakdown 18 feels significantly harder now. Zombies are basically two shotting scrubs. Run out of energy to dodge? Your dude is dead, unless you have a liferaft in a car nearby. Resources still incredibly plentiful, imo.

At this high of a zombie density, you HAVE to escort your scavengers personally, or else be on the other side of the map. If you're within a small distance of them, they are killable, and they will melt to pretty much anything before you can get there. Poor Ray. That was a big loss.

• Locked thread