Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

Here's something to consider: Humanity is a social creature; is a personal journey truly one made alone? The goal is to become human, and the most foundational part of humanity is society.

Coincidentally I am looking at running a promethean game by skype and will probably be recruiting here. :v:

Sounds cool. I picked up some nWoD stuff recently (Corebook, Changeling, and Promethean specifically, as well as that free Demon PDF from their Kickstarter) and I'm eager to try it out. What hours would you be running it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Count me in I would love to join a real Promethean game.
Edit: How do skype games work? Do I need like a webcam?

A webcam would give us all a good show there tiger. :allears:

Seriously though, no. Unless you pay money skype doesn't support group video calls. So we all get together for a group voice chat at the ordained time and shoot the poo poo /crack jokes. I guess along the way you play something but most PnP games are really flimsy pretenses of nerd poker nights.

Anyways, we would get together and roll dice over irc or something.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Quantumfate posted:

A webcam would give us all a good show there tiger. :allears:

Seriously though, no. Unless you pay money skype doesn't support group video calls. So we all get together for a group voice chat at the ordained time and shoot the poo poo /crack jokes. I guess along the way you play something but most PnP games are really flimsy pretenses of nerd poker nights.

Anyways, we would get together and roll dice over irc or something.

Let me go get the 5 gallon vat of baby oil before the game then but count me in either way :allears:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

So, I have just come to the amazing realization that promethean is all about playing the incredible hulk.

That said, is demon out yet? The quickstart is up and people talk about like they have copies.

Also: What the hell is the point of mummy? In promethean you become human, in demon you fight against the god machine, in werewolf you keep the world safe from the spirits. Etc etc. What do you do in mummy? Yell at people who go into pyramids?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Quantumfate posted:

What do you do in mummy? Yell at people who go into pyramids?

Basically you serve as the vengeful god-avatar of an ancient cult while simultaneously rediscovering your own identity and coming to grips with being the deathless servsnt of a long-dead empire. And also you yell at people who stole stuff from your pyramid. It's pretty cool, and unabashedly pulpy Universal Horror.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

So, I have just come to the amazing realization that promethean is all about playing the incredible hulk.

That said, is demon out yet? The quickstart is up and people talk about like they have copies.

Also: What the hell is the point of mummy? In promethean you become human, in demon you fight against the god machine, in werewolf you keep the world safe from the spirits. Etc etc. What do you do in mummy? Yell at people who go into pyramids?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNueVdxTmVNTjE0MTQ/edit?pli=1

Here's the link to Demon. They released the mostly done version for free on their Kickstarter page.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I want to play a mummy who just comes out of his pyramid to shake his bandaged fist at kids and tell them to get off his drat sand.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

When will they put out a creature of the black lagoon line, though?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

When will they put out a creature of the black lagoon line, though?

How did you know about their next product, Swamp Thing: the Moistening?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

No lie: Hunchback: the Lurching, that fan-hack system? Would legit be a good concept for a new line.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

SunAndSpring posted:

How did you know about their next product, Swamp Thing: the Moistening?

I thought it was Chupacabra: the Sucking.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I want to play a mummy who just comes out of his pyramid to shake his bandaged fist at kids and tell them to get off his drat sand.

This is actually the default assumption for how a chronicle starts.

Fron my read, the archetypal Mummy chronicle is "rise from your grave, travel the globe Indiana Jones dotted line style breaking into trap-filled labyrinthine tombs and modern secured compounds to recover stolen artifacts for your mysterious patron, slowly realize as you find clues and your memory returns that this is really messed up, desperately try to break the cycle you've been trapped in for millennia as your power wanes and your still-loyal allies turn on you." Which I am totally onboard for.

E: with lots of flashbacks to any period in human history along the way. I love the idea that you don't write a backstory for your character initially because they don't know it yet.

E2: Planescape Torment would be a great Mummy game.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 13, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I thought it was Chupacabra: the Sucking.

Isn't that just playing a nosferatu?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Replace"shake my fist" with "rain down apocalyptic doom on their entire town," and yes.

No, seriously. A starting Mummy character can, with the right build, destroy a decent-sized city. And that's not an "oops, the devs hosed up and missed this weird exploit" thing.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

GimpInBlack posted:

Replace"shake my fist" with "rain down apocalyptic doom on their entire town," and yes.

No, seriously. A starting Mummy character can, with the right build, destroy a decent-sized city. And that's not an "oops, the devs hosed up and missed this weird exploit" thing.

I sort of feel like there's this pretty ridiculous backlash going on against the lowered capabilities that the nWoD had at first, which in turn was a backlash against all of the "superheroes with fangs" craziness that went on the oWoD. I thought it reached a pretty good equilibrium around Promethean and Changeling, but it feels like it's getting completely out of hand again.

Although my personal opinion is that nWoD mechanics have been kind of crappy in general since Geist onwards, so I might just be grumpy, who knows.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 13, 2014

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

SunAndSpring posted:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNueVdxTmVNTjE0MTQ/edit?pli=1

Here's the link to Demon. They released the mostly done version for free on their Kickstarter page.

And the people who backed the kickstarter have proper pdf copies. We're just collecting errata before sorting out the final, publically-available pdf and print versions.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I really liked Mummy mechanically, target number shenanigans and all.

What kinda broke it for me was that I had no idea how to actually roleplay a character.

The retroactive amnesiac backstory conceit is neat but trying to figure out what kind of person I was supposed to be playing never managed to click with me.

Which makes me kinda worried about how I'm going to deal with Demon in that regard, as well, since in this case you were never human.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Quantumfate posted:

No lie: Hunchback: the Lurching, that fan-hack system? Would legit be a good concept for a new line.

Does this involve playing Igors from Discworld? Because a game where you're a group of Igors doing jobs for a mad scientist would rule.

Though I guess that's just My Life With Master.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Which makes me kinda worried about how I'm going to deal with Demon in that regard, as well, since in this case you were never human.

Demon's actually much better about this, since a starting character has their Cover and has probably made contact with other demons. You have an Agenda you're pushing and you're trying to keep the humans in your life happy and safe - or trying to take advantage of them for contracts.

I think the problem with Mummy when compared to Demon is that the latter skips past the 'beep boop i am a slave with no personality' stage, whereas in Mummy you could easily spend the entire game like that.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Down With People posted:

Demon's actually much better about this, since a starting character has their Cover and has probably made contact with other demons. You have an Agenda you're pushing and you're trying to keep the humans in your life happy and safe - or trying to take advantage of them for contracts.

I think the problem with Mummy when compared to Demon is that the latter skips past the 'beep boop i am a slave with no personality' stage, whereas in Mummy you could easily spend the entire game like that.

I'm putting together a character for a Mummy game at the moment and I'm not sure they're as robotic as all that. At Memory 3 you have hazy knowledge of life in Irem and past Descents, as well as knowing the ethos of your guild and your judge. That's more than enough to build a personality on.

Remember that Mummy is in part a game about old age; just because your grandfather can't remember now who was in his platoon and his war stories change every time he tells them doesn't mean the war, and the rest of his life he still remembers, isn't a foundational part of his personality. Past the first few scenes starting mummies aren't emotionless automatons, but people many millenia past their time looking about for remnants and analogies of their youth in a world that's very much moved on.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I know there was some mention of Blood and Smoke having an update on New Orleans post-Katrina. Did that ever materialize anywhere?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Does this involve playing Igors from Discworld? Because a game where you're a group of Igors doing jobs for a mad scientist would rule.

Though I guess that's just My Life With Master.
Enjoy

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Gilok posted:

I know there was some mention of Blood and Smoke having an update on New Orleans post-Katrina. Did that ever materialize anywhere?

Rose made the decision to only do cities we had a native writer for, or could get a native or long-term resident to look over. Athens was written by a Greek-American freelancer, frex.

You may recall, if you were following the open dev blog, that Strix Chronicle was delayed by a few freelancers having "major surgery" life events and having to drop out.

Unfortunately, one of them was the New Orleans writer.

It'll turn up in a book one day, probably. Ask Rose in a forum she frequents - she has pretty well-formed ideas for updating the setting.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Rose made the decision to only do cities we had a native writer for, or could get a native or long-term resident to look over. Athens was written by a Greek-American freelancer, frex.

You may recall, if you were following the open dev blog, that Strix Chronicle was delayed by a few freelancers having "major surgery" life events and having to drop out.

Unfortunately, one of them was the New Orleans writer.

It'll turn up in a book one day, probably. Ask Rose in a forum she frequents - she has pretty well-formed ideas for updating the setting.

Appropo of nothing...does White Wolf have a Seattle native writer? Because its only called the First Ave South bridge, not 'Highway 99' (ref: West Seattle section of the recent Daemon)

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Gerund posted:

Appropo of nothing...does White Wolf have a Seattle native writer? Because its only called the First Ave South bridge, not 'Highway 99' (ref: West Seattle section of the recent Daemon)

Yeah, the author of The Seattle apendix lived there a few years ago. People will still get things wrong - I'm pretty sure that despite living there for a decade if i wrote a Newcastle setting a Geordie would laugh at it. But we're trying!

(DC for mummy is being written by two beltway veterans as well, btw)

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 14, 2014

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Makes me wonder. Do you lot work with any Aussie freelancers, or is that a stumbling block to getting content for the this scorched and desolate piece of earth where the sun, no matter how much we beg, will not let us die?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
So, the wife used to play Vampire: The Dark Ages. We're clearing out the house and found a box full of the books. She has the core rulebook (two in fact, one is "Vampire: The Dark Ages" and one is "Dark Ages: Vampire"), a DM screen and around 20 splat books, ranging from The British Isles, Dark Ages Europe and Veil of Night to Transylvania Chronicles 1: some title or another and Liebllius Sangwhatthefuckus. She has a ghoul splat book for the rules on them too. All in all it's a pretty nice collection, and took her years to build. We tried playing here in London about 5 years ago though and... Yeah. We got a mixed bunch of people but over all don't fancy it again.

So why am I posting here?

Plan B is to give them to the local charity shop. There's a worrying risk they will bin them, maybe calling in a priest too.

So, Plan A is to give them to a London (UK) goon who fancies schlepping into Central London (http://www.theyorkshiregrey.com is 5 minutes from our flat, so we'll meet you there!) to collect them. If there's a bottle of white wine or pizza money in it for us, awesome. If there's not then we really don't care. If two people PM/Email me then it'll go to whoever I see first, with the offer of wine or pizza winning out only if I see two messages at the same time. As a tie breaker. Beyond that, all we ask is that you take them, play them and enjoy them. And maybe pass it on when you get sick of your RPG collection and can't be arsed trying to figure out how to sell them.

So PM me here or email me at my username @gmail.com or Steam message me (again, Masonity) or whatever.

edit: I'm only going to hold on to them for a couple of days before taking them down to the Charity shop probably, so get in touch sooner rather than later.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Dark Ages Vampire (you have the 2nd-edition and Revised-edition editions) is real fun and some lucky jerk should run over and get all those books immediately.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I really liked Mummy mechanically, target number shenanigans and all.

What kinda broke it for me was that I had no idea how to actually roleplay a character.

The retroactive amnesiac backstory conceit is neat but trying to figure out what kind of person I was supposed to be playing never managed to click with me.

Demon is easy. Mummy is sincerely hard up until you have a character that you want to be.

Mine is Abasi Ali*, a big Bull-Headed Mesen Nebu who straddles the line between philanthropist and terrorist as he solves the problems of deprivation with his head-sized fists. He sleeps under a crazy Futurist bull statue, beginning and ending his Descents with a view of it's humongous balls. There's also a Tef-Aabhi who isn't done yet. I think she might have had to row a boat out of Italy after her Cult betrayed their art and had to be put down.

Demon just gave me a Friendly Messenger who's always watching and is really sorry about how her stalking target attempted suicide and a Destroyer who didn't want to die in a loving strip-mall and is now relishing it's existence as a balding graphic designer.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm really curious if all new bloodlines are gifts rather than new disclipines.

Would make updating old ones harder. So I kinda hope not.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Might be interested in GMing a play-by-post or something like that of Demon here. Wondering where to set it though. I could just play it safe and go for Seattle or New York or any other really important city, or I could go foreign and set it in Australia or China, or just pick a random city that isn't too memorable like Indianapolis and try to make it interesting. Decisions, decisions.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Midwestern US cities like Indianopolis, Dayton, Cincinatti would be perfectly good settings for Demon I think. They tend to have an urban core with the tall glass buildings and modernist statues you need, and then a lot of worn down infrastructure and not-tourist-friendly culture as you sprawl out from the center that lends itself really well to hidden GM activity.

I'd definitely make someone for a play-by-post. Personally i'm most interested in the sort of cosmic/religious horror angle or translating traditional demon tropes through the techgnostic lens- there's a sidebar about a modified setting where fallen angels have up until recently been imprisoned in containment infrastructure that evokes DtF's sensory deprivation Hell in a way I like.

Is Phillip K. Dick mentioned in the inspirational media? Just off the top of my head, VALIS and Scanner Darkly are like prepackaged campaign seeds.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

SunAndSpring posted:

Might be interested in GMing a play-by-post or something like that of Demon here. Wondering where to set it though. I could just play it safe and go for Seattle or New York or any other really important city, or I could go foreign and set it in Australia or China, or just pick a random city that isn't too memorable like Indianapolis and try to make it interesting. Decisions, decisions.

I would also like to state my interest in a pop of demon.

Please run that game, don't care what it is. Just run it.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Kellsterik posted:

Midwestern US cities like Indianopolis, Dayton, Cincinatti would be perfectly good settings for Demon I think. They tend to have an urban core with the tall glass buildings and modernist statues you need, and then a lot of worn down infrastructure and not-tourist-friendly culture as you sprawl out from the center that lends itself really well to hidden GM activity.

I'd definitely make someone for a play-by-post. Personally i'm most interested in the sort of cosmic/religious horror angle or translating traditional demon tropes through the techgnostic lens- there's a sidebar about a modified setting where fallen angels have up until recently been imprisoned in containment infrastructure that evokes DtF's sensory deprivation Hell in a way I like.

Is Phillip K. Dick mentioned in the inspirational media? Just off the top of my head, VALIS and Scanner Darkly are like prepackaged campaign seeds.

VALIS is really more of a Unknown Armies or Mage seed, but playing Sophia in Demon would be super rad.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So, we noticed in the course of playing Mage that the default rules/assumptions for resonance qualities (i.e. "the longer you stare at something, the more adjectives you learn about it, each less obvious than the last") was kind of thin on utility compared to the concrete information you could gain through Knowing magic, and also that there wasn't a lot you could do with that information because there weren't really rules for using resonance as a personal fingerprint. Then, we realized that we could use the sympathy chart as a guide for how hard resonance is to pick up.

So, here's what's up: If you stare at something for a minute, you can roll Int + Occult (or Int + some other Skill, depending on your Path and Order) to scan it. Then, after an hour, you can roll again with +1 die, then after two hours with +2 dice, then half a day at +3, then a day at +4, and then each day after that at +5. Your successes don't stack; each time, you're trying to get more successes on a single roll, because your successes do this:

quote:

• 1 success: The mage learns the unique resonance signature of the subject, and also of whatever creature, structure, or place the subject was recently severed or harvested from

• 2 successes – Intimate: The mage detects the resonance of things that interacted with the subject closely, repeatedly, and for appreciable time (a story, by default). They recognize any resonance signatures they already know and learn a new one they haven’t encountered before.

• 3 successes – Known: The mage recognizes the resonance signatures they already know of things that have interacted frequently with the subject, and at least once in the past week

• 4 successes – Acquainted: The mage recognizes the resonance signatures they already know of things that have interacted with the subject briefly and occasionally, and at least in the past month

• 5 successes – Encountered: The mage recognizes the resonance signatures they already know of things that have met, held, or encountered the subject once in the past year

• N/A - Unknown: Resonance more than a year old, or that has been rarefied by Occultation or similar means past Encountered level, cannot be gleaned

An active and sustained spell has an Intimate connection to its caster for the purpose of revealing their resonance signature. The aftereffects of a mage’s spells are Intimate when instantiated, but become Known after a week, Acquainted after a month, and Encountered after a year. Otherwise, things affected transiently by a mage’s magic carry that mage’s resonance based on frequency and intensity of contact, as above.

So now we have a more robust system for arcane detective work. Incidentally, Occultation causes any resonance signature you leave behind that's worse than "Intimate" to be one step worse still, so Known becomes Acquainted, Acquainted becomes Encountered, and Encountered is undetectable.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Put me down also for interest in a Demon PbP. The system looks pretty keen, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get my local gaming scene to play anything that doesn't involve dragons and elves.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Alright. Give me a couple of days to learn the rules of nWoD a bit better and think up some campaign ideas, and I'll have a recruitment thread up.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferrinus posted:

So, we noticed in the course of playing Mage that the default rules/assumptions for resonance qualities (i.e. "the longer you stare at something, the more adjectives you learn about it, each less obvious than the last") was kind of thin on utility compared to the concrete information you could gain through Knowing magic, and also that there wasn't a lot you could do with that information because there weren't really rules for using resonance as a personal fingerprint. Then, we realized that we could use the sympathy chart as a guide for how hard resonance is to pick up.

So, here's what's up: If you stare at something for a minute, you can roll Int + Occult (or Int + some other Skill, depending on your Path and Order) to scan it. Then, after an hour, you can roll again with +1 die, then after two hours with +2 dice, then half a day at +3, then a day at +4, and then each day after that at +5. Your successes don't stack; each time, you're trying to get more successes on a single roll, because your successes do this:

So now we have a more robust system for arcane detective work. Incidentally, Occultation causes any resonance signature you leave behind that's worse than "Intimate" to be one step worse still, so Known becomes Acquainted, Acquainted becomes Encountered, and Encountered is undetectable.

That sounds pretty cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Clarifying the God Machine.

Thanks for your responses gents.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Could you clarify this question? I'm not really following what the problem is here. Is it that supernatural forces exist with differing aesthetics? Is it why the rest of the World of Darkness doesn't consistently follow the God-Machine's aesthetics? That's because the God-Machine is not the world. There is more to the world than the God-Machine, and that includes the occult world. Maybe the Machine has integrated into the world by now to the extent that some of its functions are essential to maintenance unless they are successfully replaced with something else, but it's far from clear that the Machine is a prime mover. There is much to the world that is beyond the Machine's power.

That clears up a great deal of my confusion as to what the limits of the God Machine were. Having gone through most of the Demon book now, I think it is interesting that the God Machine is explicitly mostly restricted to cities.

I was also uncertain as to what the ultimate goal of the God Machine building Infrastructure was, but the book eventually clarifies it suggesting that the God Machine uses Infrastructure to build Angels...who build Infrastructure...which are used to build more Angels etc..

This reinforces the idea of the God Machine as an invasive expanding mechanical organism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Kind of curious as to what influence, if any, the God-Machine has in Arcadia. I can't imagine that a vast machine of order and logic would ever enjoy going to what is basically a plane of chaos run by mad demigods.

• Locked thread