Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Alright this post might end up a little E/N, but whatever. I made several attempts to get into/stay into BJJ throughout last year and most failed after 3-4 weeks at best due to a combination of laziness and anxiety. Once my membership was up last August I just decided to quit because I was pretty tired with fighting with myself over it every single week. I enjoyed the heck out of when I went, but the hours leading up to classes were filled with really, really bad anxiety for me. I'm not normally a particularly anxious person, but there was something about BJJ that set off anxiety for me big time, mostly in the lead up to class.

Anyway, probably against my better judgement I'm thinking about making another go of it, but I feel like a bit of a tool going back after dropping out so many times before. It was bad enough before going back and having guys be like "Oh is this your first class?" or "You look kinda familiar" only to have to explain "Well you see, I'm a total flake and...". I'm just being totally neurotic right? Are most gyms used to seeing guys drop out a buncha times? Should I feel like a bit of an rear end in a top hat?

Nah its fine, lots of people drop out (which is why the obnoxious contracts etc are the order of the day).

What is it that's making you so anxious though? It could be that your school is in some way horrible which is causing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

Nah its fine, lots of people drop out (which is why the obnoxious contracts etc are the order of the day).

What is it that's making you so anxious though? It could be that your school is in some way horrible which is causing that.

Ennhhh, the anxiety thing is pretty much 100% irrational. The gym is a pretty cool place filled with decent people. I've only had a couple relatively "bad" experiences there and they were fairly mundane -- as in "Maybe I'll just avoid rolling with that guy in the future." My anxiety is pretty much just anticipatory anxiety over doing things out of the ordinary.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BJJ gyms have a low retention rate among new people. 1 in 5 will stick around for a few months, 1 in 10 will stick around for 6 months, 1 in 50 will stick around for multiple years. I pulled all those statistics out my rear end, obviously, but you get the gist. That you're coming back at all after a few false starts already puts you ahead of the curve. Teachers can never guess who will stick around and who won't. So what you're asking is no problem at all, nobody's going to hassle you about it, you might get an innocent question at worst, and as the others said, just tell them you've been busy with work or school or whatever.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Lamont posted:

Does anyone have any good tips for relaxation/getting rid of tension?

Have someone beat the poo poo out of you a few times, that'll cure being too tense. "But Ligur" you might think, "that makes no sense whatsoever" but it actually does. You see, you are subconsciously excited, tense and possibly even a little scared or worried about the the whole punching-stuff situation which makes your upper body rigid. After a heavyweight beats the poo poo out of you a few times, you know nothing worse could ever happen to you, quit worrying about it and instead get interested in an analytical way.

That'll take your boxing to the next level at once! And cure being too rigid, you'll be so relaxed and comfortable you'll turn into rubber instead.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

BJJ gyms have a low retention rate among new people. 1 in 5 will stick around for a few months, 1 in 10 will stick around for 6 months, 1 in 50 will stick around for multiple years. I pulled all those statistics out my rear end, obviously, but you get the gist. That you're coming back at all after a few false starts already puts you ahead of the curve. Teachers can never guess who will stick around and who won't. So what you're asking is no problem at all, nobody's going to hassle you about it, you might get an innocent question at worst, and as the others said, just tell them you've been busy with work or school or whatever.

This. and he's being generous saying 1 in 5 stays around for 6 months. maybe 1 in 10 for us. Turnover is higher than that at a callcenter.
Real, Ego annihilating Martial arts aren't for everyone.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

This. and he's being generous saying 1 in 5 stays around for 6 months. maybe 1 in 10 for us. Turnover is higher than that at a callcenter.
Real, Ego annihilating Martial arts aren't for everyone.

Yeah. I've had one basic course where all the 16 guys and girls continued and which I instructed wholly by myself alone for the 9-10 weeks it takes and I am very proud of this feat, but usually from 16 people maybe 2 stay past the 2,5 month mark. And from those who stay maybe 10-20% continue after the 6 month mark. That said, if anyone stays for more than a year, they won't go even by wearing out, and if they stop coming they'll usually be back at some point unless they moved away or something.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Anybody have tips for lower back pain that refuses to go away? It seems to improve some but then come back worse after I try lifting or rolling. My idea is just to do a couple of weeks of low impact cardio like swimming or the elliptical with no lifting or rolling and see if that helps. Its been bothering me for almost 2 months now and I cant really afford an MRI to see exactly whats going on.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Senor P. posted:

I don't think Judo ever really had this problem. However, I'm not as familiar with the history of Judo as I am with Aikido's.

I've been skimming through posts trying to catch information on Aikido because there is a class that takes place between work and home and I'm interested in joining in. A few of the other posts have commented how Aikido has helped them in their daily lives with remaining calm and facing situations different then they may have otherwise. Do you find this to be true aswell? I'm a rather excitable dude for my small size and I'm trying to figure out if I would be welcome to try and find a way to wind down that doesn't involve me dismantling something.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Minclark posted:

I've been skimming through posts trying to catch information on Aikido because there is a class that takes place between work and home and I'm interested in joining in. A few of the other posts have commented how Aikido has helped them in their daily lives with remaining calm and facing situations different then they may have otherwise. Do you find this to be true aswell? I'm a rather excitable dude for my small size and I'm trying to figure out if I would be welcome to try and find a way to wind down that doesn't involve me dismantling something.

Aikido dudes I know are usually pretty chill guys with little to no testosteroney overdoses. I dunno if that's correlation or causation though.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Yeah. I've had one basic course where all the 16 guys and girls continued and which I instructed wholly by myself alone for the 9-10 weeks it takes and I am very proud of this feat, but usually from 16 people maybe 2 stay past the 2,5 month mark. And from those who stay maybe 10-20% continue after the 6 month mark. That said, if anyone stays for more than a year, they won't go even by wearing out, and if they stop coming they'll usually be back at some point unless they moved away or something.

That is _very_ impressive. Two questions, as I'm basically running my own programs at this point. A) how did you get a group of 16 (or any sizable amount) to start at the same time ? B) How in the nine hells did you get them all to stay for 10 weeks?

You're right; usually once they've come for a year or so, they're stuck. They've got the bug and it's hard for them to ever shake it.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

the JJ posted:

Aikido dudes I know are usually pretty chill guys with little to no testosteroney overdoses. I dunno if that's correlation or causation though.

I've sent them an email about going to watch for a session to see what its all about, the classes I am looking into would have a majority of newcomers though I would imagine as its coupled with some college programs. as seen here http://www.oberlin.edu/stuorg/Aikido/

Seems like a good introduction to something other than lifting weights for fitness. Hopefully it helps relax me a bit too.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Anybody have tips for lower back pain that refuses to go away? It seems to improve some but then come back worse after I try lifting or rolling. My idea is just to do a couple of weeks of low impact cardio like swimming or the elliptical with no lifting or rolling and see if that helps. Its been bothering me for almost 2 months now and I cant really afford an MRI to see exactly whats going on.

Maybe try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

I do a similar routine and it really helped loosen my back up and alleviate some sciatic pain I was dealing with.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Where on you back does it hurt? Is it spine or muscle? Is it a dull ache or a sharp pain? Does it radiate to anywhere else on your body?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

That is _very_ impressive. Two questions, as I'm basically running my own programs at this point. A) how did you get a group of 16 (or any sizable amount) to start at the same time ? B) How in the nine hells did you get them all to stay for 10 weeks?

You're right; usually once they've come for a year or so, they're stuck. They've got the bug and it's hard for them to ever shake it.

Well A) is because we have 4 or 5 "basic course" cycles every year. We have like 100+ instructed classes a week, but a portion of them are always new basic courses for beginners, for boxing, BJJ, Savate, or the fitness vesions, so complete newbies to our gym all enroll and start at the same time. With other people like them. Yet most basic courses who stay the whole 9 or 10 weeks are still afraid to continue even if they had fun, as it would require them to change their practice days and times from basic to advanced which means a very open schedule at least at our place (basic and advanced having different hours) and requires getting to know a whole new and often a large ever changing group of people. And often changing the instructor too, as we often have different guys/girls teaching basic and advanced. I know that's a lot of difficult hurdles to overcome, but then again, when you don't have a staff full of people who just train other people for a living there's no way to "fix" that. The only trick to help them stay which comes to my mind is convincing they can hang on in the advanced classes with people who have from 6 months to 20 years of training as opposed to their 10 weeks - or at least that it'll be fun and will elevate their progress tremendously.

But just have a new "basic course" for your sport that start from 1 to 5 times a year, and get the new people to start in that class. 15th January 2014, new basic course for BJJ, come all. 2 classes a week which involves a planned training course which covers the basics, and then some open practices to beef it up. Course lasts between 2-3 months. Usually slightly over two, don't know why. Then you're welcome to the regular advanced or open practices. That schedule works.

B) has a lot more to do with them than it had to do with me, granted, I was really fired up to teach people who can't walk and extend a hand at the same time so I was quite emotionally invested and supportive (but not in a way that would freak them out, or I think so, since they kept coming back) but basically the whole bunch of them by random luck happened to be people who wanted to get fit and thought boxing or kickboxing was the way to go. They also had a great group mentality for training and got to know each other quickly. I never learned all their names, but they did quickly did just by themselves. I had another smaller Savate group in 2012, like 12 people, who did the same and always hung out after classes, and I think 8 of them continued. Most are still here. In both cases they would bother each other for missing classes and basically made everyone else attend. So it was 95% them doing it for themselves and psyching each other up to give it a serious go.

One good example is a guy from another basic course from 3 or 4 years back, who was a track & field sportsman in his youth. Then as a 30+ old dude he suddenly started watching boxing, a lot of it, decided this is a sport he really wants to learn and came over to our gym. It didn't really matter how the basic course went, he just kept at it because he wanted it so much. 3 years later he startched some of our national team guys in boxing exhibition fights. He just wanted it, and recognized "ok the guys in this place can probably teach me to do it, and it's close to home".

The thing is, 99% of the people who join a basic course of some martial art sport are just coming to check out whatever it is you have there and have no plans of continuing, so most of them don't. The experience has to be pretty awesome and the sport something that they feel really "fits" them (and/or is in a convenient place, with the right price) for them to stay.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 14, 2014

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ligur posted:

We have like 100+ instructed classes a week...

Jesus, how big is your gym. I thought my gym with about 20 classes per week was decent. I don't think there is a single gym here in Stockholm that offers much more than 50 classes a week, even if they offer multiple different martial arts.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

DekeThornton posted:

Jesus, how big is your gym. I thought my gym with about 20 classes per week was decent. I don't think there is a single gym here in Stockholm that offers much more than 50 classes a week, even if they offer multiple different martial arts.

Two spaces in two buildings, the other has three floors with one room each (it used to be a bank office, the vault is our equipment storage now) and next door a former gym with 3 rooms, one with a boxing ring, a mirror room for grappling/technique and a weights room. I think right now well over 1000 people coming in regularly each week.

But it has to be like so, the spaces are in the smack middle of one of the most expensive parts of the metro area and a few feet from the door to a metro, which means excellent connections, which means a lot of potentional customers, but also high rents, meanwhile the awesome public transport connections are the only way to pay the crazy rents here.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
That sounds really sweet. We just have a mat, some pull up bars and a few punching bags in a smallish room with lovely ventilation.

Still, it's a pretty nice club either way.:)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

DekeThornton posted:

That sounds really sweet. We just have a mat, some pull up bars and a few punching bags in a smallish room with lovely ventilation.

Still, it's a pretty nice club either way.:)

I'm sure it is.

Like I've said before, the club I go to is a 90% cardio- and fitness club these days. There's a schedule for fighters who fight or grapple competitively or who train serious self defence, and they do fight all the time, but those are in the vast minority. Most of the people who come in are just people with good connections to our place or who live close by (girls, mostly, for some reason) who want to get a good workout for a relatively reasonable prize without any membership card bullshit or 12 month plans.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ligur posted:

I'm sure it is.

Like I've said before, the club I go to is a 90% cardio- and fitness club these days. There's a schedule for fighters who fight or grapple competitively or who train serious self defence, and they do fight all the time, but those are in the vast minority. Most of the people who come in are just people with good connections to our place or who live close by (girls, mostly, for some reason) who want to get a good workout for a relatively reasonable prize without any membership card bullshit or 12 month plans.

I guess that broadens the userbase a fair bit. My club is mainly an MMA club, with some muay thai and SW offered as supporting classes. it is pretty welcoming to hobbyists like me, but it doesn't really offer any pure fitness or cardio classes without sparring.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

DekeThornton posted:

I guess that broadens the userbase a fair bit. My club is mainly an MMA club, with some muay thai and SW offered as supporting classes. it is pretty welcoming to hobbyists like me, but it doesn't really offer any pure fitness or cardio classes without sparring.

That's cutting out 80%+ off of the potentional customers, but it all depends on what you want. Back here the traditional gyms with huge weights rooms with weird fitness contraptions spread all over the place also often run cardio- and fitness-classes but they are always very expensive these days, and have mostly aerobics teachers.

Our club isn't expensive to the same extent, and is easy to sign up for only weeks or months, so I imagine a bunch of people who would otherwise go for the Body Combat Fitness Studio with 2 Consultations from a Personal Trainer when Signing just come to our club for cheaper. Then again a ton of people also have gym cards and still go to our place for the group classes because they think actually kicking and punching is fun times. A ton of the of the trainers are still guys and girls who have fought and stuff or instructed for that and it shows to some extent. Maybe. I don't even know what makes it tick actually, it just does.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Where on you back does it hurt? Is it spine or muscle? Is it a dull ache or a sharp pain? Does it radiate to anywhere else on your body?

My lower back, probably on the same plane as my belly button on my spine. Its a dull ache and tends to radiate outwards to my muscles. It tends to be worse in the morning.

Oh and sometimes I get a spasm of sharp pain when I try to lift something heavy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Oh and sometimes I get a spasm of sharp pain when I try to lift something heavy.

Go see a chiropractor.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

The Fool posted:

Go see a chiropractor.

Don't do that. If you want I can sell you some magic beans for half the price!!!

Johnson, what you are describing could be a bunch of things, all of which will need someone to look at and you will need an x-ray/MRI. Sorry. I know what most physios would prescribe at this point but without a good diagnosis you have a bit of a time bomb situation going on. Save up and go see someone.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Fool posted:

Go see a chiropractor.

Go see a chiropractor and then ask for a quote to do a session with your toddler and post a trip report.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Don't do that. If you want I can sell you some magic beans for half the price!!!

Johnson, what you are describing could be a bunch of things, all of which will need someone to look at and you will need an x-ray/MRI. Sorry. I know what most physios would prescribe at this point but without a good diagnosis you have a bit of a time bomb situation going on. Save up and go see someone.

A reputable chiropractor would be able to do a initial diagnosis and refer him to a traditional doctor if necessary, but may be able to make a difference in a couple adjustments, and be way cheaper than a bunch of xrays and an mri.

Regardless, this isn't the place for that argument. We both agree he needs to see a professional before it gets worse.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

Regardless, this isn't the place for that argument. We both agree he needs to see a professional before it gets worse.
Chiropractors aren't actually professionals :ssh:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

The Fool posted:

A reputable chiropractor would be able to do a initial diagnosis and refer him to a traditional doctor if necessary, but may be able to make a difference in a couple adjustments, and be way cheaper than a bunch of xrays and an mri.

"Reputable chiropractor" is an oxymoron.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Fool posted:

Not to pile on, but yeah Chiropractors are snake oil salesmen and Shiny sides is probably more qualified to speak on sports and body stuff than anyone posting in this thread regularly.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I am a chiropractor on the mat

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
One day prior to his debut in the World Series of Fighting, Jacob Volkmann took a fall -- not on the mat, but in his Las Vegas hotel room.

According to the lightweight, he was taking a nap prior to the WSOF 3 weigh-in when a knock at the door caused him to stir. Dehydrated from cutting weight, Volkmann arose and walked across the room to answer the door, only to soon find himself in a much different state.

“The maid knocks on my door and keeps on knocking, and I [thought], ‘I’d better not get up too fast.’ So I got up and walked toward the door, and by the time I got my hand on the door, I blacked out,” Volkman told TJ De Santis during a Wednesday interview on “Beatdown” on the Sherdog Radio Network. “Next thing I remember, I was shaking on the floor, having seizures.”

Volkmann, who defeated Lyle Beerbohm in a unanimous decision at the June 14 event, surmised that the large scratch on his back clearly visible during his bout came as the result of his fall the day prior.

“I banged my head, and I must have hit my back on the door handle,” Volkmann said. “I didn’t tell anybody, because I didn’t want them to say I couldn’t fight because I just had a seizure. I had bills to pay, so I really didn’t have a choice.”

Sherdog.com verified with Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer that Volkmann made no mention of the incident to the regulatory body ahead of his bout at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. Volkmann, a licensed chiropractor in his home state of Minnesota, performed a self-assessment and felt he was no worse for wear.

“Mentally and physically, I felt fine. I didn’t feel cloudy. I kind of did a self-analysis based on my medical background. I just wanted to make sure that my cognitive was there and my mental state was up to par,” said Volkmann. “I was mentally able to fight, still. The thing about chiropractic education is that the first two years are the same as an M.D.’s education. You just branch off after two years.

“It was a byproduct of being dehydrated. I don’t think I need a CAT scan or [anything],” Volkmann continued. “There’s nothing cloudy. My memory is fine. I don’t feel sluggish at all. I’m good to go.”

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Volkmann is a ridiculous oval office in so many ways..

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
You know who else hates chiropractors? Obama.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If there's one guy I am okay with fighting while concussed, it's Volkmann.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'd sooner get a medical evaluation from Cecil Peoples.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress turf toes forever.

My big toe on my right foot has been hosed up for the past 4-5 years and there's nothing to do with this piece of poo poo of a toe. I'm going to try seeing another physical therapist but I'm poor and this will suck. loving had to stop after a single randori today because my foot is an assholish oval office. Worst toe of the year award.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

KingColliwog posted:

My big toe on my right foot has been hosed up for the past 4-5 years and there's nothing to do with this piece of poo poo of a toe. I'm going to try seeing another physical therapist but I'm poor and this will suck. loving had to stop after a single randori today because my foot is an assholish oval office. Worst toe of the year award.

Yeah I kept doing that.

Update on my lazy rear end: I've done gently caress-all since I left thailand. A combination of lost motivation to fight now, and terrible work/living circumstances meaning I've been nowhere near a muay thai gym at all most of last year. Been running, a bit of crossfit etc maintaining some fitness but next to no muay thai.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A chiropractor is to a physical therapist what a toothiologist is to a dentist.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Sorry if you've answered this before, but how long have you given your toe to recover? I had to take 4 months off last year to let my hand get back into shape after a partial ligament tear. Maybe you just have to give yourself an extended rest and recovery period.

If you have done all these things then sorry, poo poo sucks man.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hi liter posted:

Sorry if you've answered this before, but how long have you given your toe to recover? I had to take 4 months off last year to let my hand get back into shape after a partial ligament tear. Maybe you just have to give yourself an extended rest and recovery period.

If you have done all these things then sorry, poo poo sucks man.

Took like a month or two when it first happened and I was fine for a while. Then I banged it against a shin and it went bad again, took some time off until it felt better then 4-5 months later banged it again. Then I took a whole summer off and then I banged it 2-3 months after I was back in and repeat that story ad nauseam.

Basically there's not much I can do with it, I teared the articular capsule and now it'S all weak and lovely. Sometime I'll be fine for a few months but it always comes back. Still scheduled a RV with my physical therapist to see if he's better at treating that than my last physical therapist which I wasn't super found of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've run this by my coaches, my doctor, personal trainers -- I figure I might as well ask here.
Half a year ago, I got mono, one of whose symptoms is a swollen spleen. I don't know if it was related, but when I got back to the gym, I was working on sidekicks, which require a really sharp change in direction of contraction with your core. About where the bottom of the spleen might be, I started feeling a... clicking or ripping sensation. It doesn't really hurt, but it is noticeable and unnerves me. The harder I kick, the more I fold my ribcage into my abdomen. In those cases, the sensation is stronger. Again, it doesn't have much acute pain, but it's distracting because I don't know what it is. This happens the most often when I throw sidekicks, but can even be triggered if I twist my torso certain ways.

I found this: http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_13_2_7.htm
I can't remember how much I was sparring before I decided it was mono, but I definitely didn't do it until I was fully recovered. So I don't know if it ruptured at any point. I brought this up with my doc and he didn't really think much of it. The blood tests were pretty strongly indicative of mono, so that part I'm pretty sure about.

Any ideas?

• Locked thread