Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I've been messing with a Joyo analog delay pedal for the last hour or so and now, upon engaging the effect, nothing happens. It still works as a bypass and the LED comes on, but the delay itself isn't present.

Did I just get a dud unit, or is there something really obvious that I'm missing? I've heard Joyos are great if you get one that works so I guess I shouldn't/wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
What's Michael Romeo's 90's tone attributable to? I mean like in the Goon Guitar Chapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOXqsQo0ko

I can get pretty close to his modern (post-Paradise Lost) tone but his new tone (their new albums) sucks balls imho. Is it like his fingering? Active pickups? Mesa Boogie?

Is there any combination of effects that might get me in the ballpark?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Goodpart posted:

I've been messing with a Joyo analog delay pedal for the last hour or so and now, upon engaging the effect, nothing happens. It still works as a bypass and the LED comes on, but the delay itself isn't present.

Did I just get a dud unit, or is there something really obvious that I'm missing? I've heard Joyos are great if you get one that works so I guess I shouldn't/wouldn't be surprised.

Is it running on battery or a wall wart?
Try changing the battery if you're using one. Delay pedals eat batteries like crazy and a dead one could just make it revert to a bypass mode.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Has anybody ever tried a Tiger Trumpet? I just play simple stuff on an old Getzen trumpet in a community band, but I have seen these on youtube... and I just really want one for some reason. I don't want to blow $300 bux on something retarded.. But in this case I really want to. Hah. Any goon reviews?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I own a couple of cheap MIDI capable keyboards, have an older but reliable Roland/Edirol USB interface, and really like to screw around with stuff I barely understand. Any recommendations for cheap or free software to make it all work together? I'm not even remotely looking to compose any kind of masterpiece, just want to get my feet wet with some MIDI stuff and learn something new. Bonus points if I can sample myself cursing like a sailor and assign those samples to keyboard keys so I can automate my inevitable frustration. :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a place where composer people hang out? I am looking to hire someone to do parody/soundalikes of famous themes or pop songs and CC is for dirty drawing hippies

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a place where composer people hang out? I am looking to hire someone to do parody/soundalikes of famous themes or pop songs and CC is for dirty drawing hippies

Here is as good a place as any. I've been doing a lot of scoring lately :huh:, mostly for nature documentaries. Even won a few awards. I've also done theme music for various podcasts, radio shows, and whatnot. Email me at dan dot l dot warren at gmail if you're interested and let me know what you're thinking about.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a good hardware synth to learn synth programming/meddling on? I've got plenty of softsynths, but I'd like something I can plug a pair of headphones into and play with filters without turning on the computer. Portability would be awesome, but affordability is really more important.

I don't know if this is the best place for this question, but I figured since I wanted a synth for a somewhat specific purpose, it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good hardware synth to learn synth programming/meddling on? I've got plenty of softsynths, but I'd like something I can plug a pair of headphones into and play with filters without turning on the computer. Portability would be awesome, but affordability is really more important.

I don't know if this is the best place for this question, but I figured since I wanted a synth for a somewhat specific purpose, it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Synth thread would love to help you part with your moneys

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256452

I'm enjoying my Korg Volca a fair amount. 150$ new, very portable, also very limited. The Arturia Minibrute seems to be the default answer to your question.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I bought a brass nut for my guitar, and IIRC the preferred method of installation for a regular nut is carpenter's glue + clamp + time. Does that apply for brass nuts as well? Or should I use a different kind of adhesive/method?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Whats the easiest software I can use to create/modify midi files to play through Synthesia? Everything I look at looks absurdly complicated, I just want to be able to modify midi files and split them into two different tracks for a left/right hand split that Synthesia can read.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm looking for a digital audio recorder for a number of reasons. I need to record lessons, but I sing a lot as well and would like something that can do pretty well with music.

I haven't really any idea what to look for, but I know I want something similar to this:

http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-voice-recorders/samson-zoom-h4n

I was wondering if the sound quality is really that much better with recent models of the same device, or if the newer ones cost more for features I probably wouldn't use.

------------------------------------------------

Thanks Flipperwaldt. Much appreciated.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 14, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm looking for a digital audio recorder for a number of reasons. I need to record lessons, but I sing a lot as well and would like something that can do pretty well with music.

I haven't really any idea what to look for, but I know I want something similar to this:

http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-voice-recorders/samson-zoom-h4n

I was wondering if the sound quality is really that much better with recent models of the same device, or if the newer ones cost more for features I probably wouldn't use.
I've been drooling over the H4N for a while now, and from all I've read it's pretty awesome.

The (2009) Soundonsound review summarizes nicely in its conclusion:

quote:

I’m a big fan of the H4N, and found very little to dislike about it. While there are more ‘professional’ portable recorders out there, you’d be hard pushed to find something that’s better on sound quality alone. This product is also aimed at a very different market, where it compares very favourably with the competition. The H4N is justifiably a little pricier than its H-series predecessors, given the improvements that have been made, but although there’s a lot of ‘bonus’ functionality I can’t imagine using, you’re not paying a premium for it. If you want a good handheld recorder, this should definitely be on your shortlist; and if you want simultaneous four-track recording thrown in, it will be a very short list indeed!
The review also mentions several worthwhile upgrades compared to the previous version of the thing, including less handling noise, better external mic preamps and better internal mics.

Looking at what Thomann offers, I'm not seeing anything cheaper that's better or anything more expensive that doesn't add a lot of stuff that you're even less likely to use (like more external mic inputs). The H4N seems to strike a very nice balance.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Does anyone use that 'rock-tips' medical adhesive stuff for fake calluses? I just ordered 2 because I have pretty severe issues with my skin on my hands (I've literally never developed a callus in 6 years of play because the skin always falls off, it's some weird contact dermatitis) and I'm hoping this is the magic bullet I've been looking for. I've been severely restricted in my playing and practicing because of this issue and I've never been able to improve as a player for a long rear end time because I can't put in the practice time without ruining my fingers.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had never even considered faking calluses with glue, I'll be interested to see how it works for you. Mine were always so-so until a few months back when I started spending a couple of hours per night accompanying my voice with an acoustic guitar to improve my singing and now my calluses make clinking noise on glass, it's awesome.

Have you tried dipping your fingertips into isopropyl alcohol? Back when I thought shredding was a worthwhile pursuit I saw it mentioned a bunch of times to keep a jar of iso and put the tips of your fingers in several times a day to dry out the skin and accelerate the forming of the callus. I never tried it but from dealing with the stuff when cleaning things it definitely dries out finger skin very well.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It's safer than superglue, which I used to OK effect, give it a shot!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Anybody know of any sites which catalog what songs/bands used particular drum machines? I'm mostly interested in 80s pop/alternative, stuff that uses less common drum machines.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Silly question incoming.

What's the likeliest cause of my valve half-stack not producing any sound through the speaker cabinet, if it still works fine through the headphone out? I've changed the patch lead, do I need new tubes?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

glasnost toyboy posted:

Silly question incoming.

What's the likeliest cause of my valve half-stack not producing any sound through the speaker cabinet, if it still works fine through the headphone out? I've changed the patch lead, do I need new tubes?

Assuming the headphone out is a signal output from after the power amp, your tubes should be fine. Might be a blown speaker? Try testing the head on a different cab, or a different head on your cab, to see if either configuration still produces sound.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
:science: Weird question! :tinfoil:

I'm looking for a way to hide one piece of audio within another!

I figure I could time shift/edit the piece I want to hide and maybe place that noise within another track of noise somewhere, but I'm worried that it may not hide too well that it may not come out audible when reverse engineered. I know it would be somewhat impossible to have it come out perfectly clear, which is fine.

I have a few ideas to test out, but has anyone here done anything like this? any ideas or resources on the matter would be great.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

glasnost toyboy posted:

Silly question incoming.

What head?
Even blown speakers generally make sound, are you getting nothing at all?
If it's nothing, either an OT or tubes, but I'd guess OT.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Is it an all tube amplifier? Not many have headphone jacks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Spikeness posted:

:science: Weird question! :tinfoil:

I'm looking for a way to hide one piece of audio within another!

I figure I could time shift/edit the piece I want to hide and maybe place that noise within another track of noise somewhere, but I'm worried that it may not hide too well that it may not come out audible when reverse engineered. I know it would be somewhat impossible to have it come out perfectly clear, which is fine.

I have a few ideas to test out, but has anyone here done anything like this? any ideas or resources on the matter would be great.
Knowing why you're doing this could really help define what acceptable outside parameters for 'hide', 'noise' and 'reverse engineering' constitute. What would you have at your disposal during reverse engineering, for example? An original copy of the sound you used to mask your message? Are you trying to demonstrate a proof of concept, or will it have to pass severe scrutiny from someone looking for something? Is messing with bytes an option? You could write something that embeds a byte of something in white noise every nth byte or something mathematical and also a script that extracts it again.

Best general tip I have is to take a hint from Dolby Pro Logic, which encodes a surround channel in the difference between left and right channels of a stereo track. If the content of the surround channel is quiet enough compared to what's in the center, it shouldn't be too noticable when played back on stereo equipment and will in fact be completely inaudible when played back mono, no matter how loud it is. But it should be recoverable when flipping the polarity of one of the stereo signal's channels and summing it to mono. Voxengo MSED or a similar plugin might be of help with that.

EDIT VVVV That's mostly going to give you results on how to hide some text into audio. Technically the audio you want to hide is also data, but compared to text, a huge amount of data. You'd need an even huger amount of audiodata to hide it in, probably beyond what is practical. Anyway, it still really depends on what your purpose is.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 30, 2014

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry I can't offer information myself but the google search you want is "audio steganography."

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Knowing why you're doing this could really help define what acceptable outside parameters for 'hide', 'noise' and 'reverse engineering' constitute. What would you have at your disposal during reverse engineering, for example? An original copy of the sound you used to mask your message? Are you trying to demonstrate a proof of concept, or will it have to pass severe scrutiny from someone looking for something? Is messing with bytes an option? You could write something that embeds a byte of something in white noise every nth byte or something mathematical and also a script that extracts it again.

I'm looking to take some spoken word clips and hide (I cant redefine hide any other way)them amongst other audio clips, be it music or various noise elements (white noise, drones etc). Ideally it would be something fairly easy to recover (decode?) via simple audio editing or manipulation techniques, the final product doesn't really doesn't need to pass any tests or anything, just a little fun thing to add into a project I'm working on.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Not an audio engineer, but for my first try I'd drop the bit rate and depth on the spoken word to the minimum you can get away with then encode them on the low bits of the rest of the audio. This would produce something not quite audible during quiet patches and something there but impossible to pick out otherwise.

Dunno if it would work.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You could try using a bunch of notch equalisers to remove several tiny sections of sound from the eq spectrum out of the file you intend to hide within, and then apply the opposite processing to the sample you want to obscure so that all you end up with is a series of small sound points at matching frequencies to the holes you cut out of the main sound . Then hopefully the two files could overlay and it not be obvious that there is a spoken word sample scattered throughout the spectrum (maybe lower the volume of the words as well), and you could hopefully just isolate/exaggerate those frequencies to bring the hidden file to the front. You'd probably need an EQ that had a very surgical notch setting so you could make nice clean cuts without the surrounding frequencies interfering, and I don't know how many notches you would need to make the spoke word legible, making severe cuts will definitely make the resulting sound very thin and hollow.

Another way would be to slow the sample down by a few times, then split it into heaps of equal little sections and spread them across at even points through the main track, like the first count of each bar. Then at the other end you'd remove all sounds that don't fall on the 1 and then join the resulting sections back together and speed it back up to parity and hopefully you'd have a somewhat similar file to what you started with, with a bit of warble included from the bits of the original track that got scooped up when cutting it back out.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

iostream.h posted:

What head?
Even blown speakers generally make sound, are you getting nothing at all?
If it's nothing, either an OT or tubes, but I'd guess OT.

Blackstar HT-5 and 1x12 Cab. Get absolutely nothing from the speakerbox.

DrChu posted:

Is it an all tube amplifier? Not many have headphone jacks.

Yeah I know, but this one does, was one of the reasons I bought it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

glasnost toyboy posted:

Blackstar HT-5 and 1x12 Cab. Get absolutely nothing from the speakerbox.
Totally forgot until I saw you post up, I actually captured output tubes frying themselves earlier today, I'd posted it in the Amp Worship thread.

From 3:24 to 4:08 is roughly where the output tubes die (it's in the notes, too many notes), even though they absolutely FRIED there was still sound being produced (by no means definitive tho').

If you hear NOTHING at all I really doubt it's a preamp tube (note: I'm not a tech) but if you can hear faint noise, then yeah, it's probably a preamp tube.

Have you:
1. Tested/replaced the speaker cable? (You're using an actual speaker cable, right?) - I see you changed the 'patch cable', I guess that's it?
2. Tested the cab with another head?
3. Tested the head with another cab?
4. Opened the speaker cab and verified cables are connected?
5. Opened the back of the head and visually inspected the tubes?
For reference:

Do you still have sound through your headphones? - Gar, I see you said this was so.
Can you snag a light and check the headphone jack to make sure the connections that trigger the headphone mode are actually switching back? Maybe, poke around in the headphone jack, spray some Deoxit on a plug and work it in and out a few times? (Actually, the more I think about it the more likely this seems, especially after some Googling)
Do/did you ever run your head without it being connected to the cab?
Are the tubes all glowing when powered up?

I found a few references to fried resistors on the PCB being a culprit, apparently there was a design change to address this:

I bolded what I would check first, based on Google.
Google takes the blame.
Remember, I've already blown up one amp today.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Thanks dude, bit of a novice with this kind of gear. The headphone jack issue seems likelier than the other culprits, but I'll play around with it over the weekend, before I haul it to someone else's place and test the head/cab on other gear.

EDIT - That was the problem, plugged and twisted the headphone jack a few times, and back to life it came.

glasnost toyboy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I got those 'rock tips', and I've applied 2 coats to my fingers. The glue feels a little brittle, it kinda cracks and flakes off under the pressure of the strings. I spent a little over $35 on 2 orders of this stuff, and I haven't put it through the ringer yet, but my initial impressions are not good. I'll play a couple hours of rocksmith and report back.

edit: Yep, after about 5 songs the adhesive had completely come off my index finger and was pretty much gone on the others. There's skin missing on a couple of my fingers and my main bending finger (ring finger) is sore. This ain't the magic bullet for people with skin problems like me, but for a couple of songs it kinda helps. If you were practicing all day or playing a show you'd need to keep reapplying it.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 3, 2014

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Spikeness posted:

I'm looking to take some spoken word clips and hide (I cant redefine hide any other way)them amongst other audio clips, be it music or various noise elements (white noise, drones etc). Ideally it would be something fairly easy to recover (decode?) via simple audio editing or manipulation techniques, the final product doesn't really doesn't need to pass any tests or anything, just a little fun thing to add into a project I'm working on.

Take a static/rendered clip of white noise (NOISE.WAV) and mix the spoken word (SPOKENWORD.WAV) alongside it, so that the spoken word peaks at least 30dB below the noise, then render this mix down to HIDDENMESSAGE.WAV. The spoken word will be inaudible beneath the noise.

To decode the message, align HIDDENMESSAGE.WAV and NOISE.WAV on separate tracks, reverse the polarity of NOISE.WAV, and you'll be left with only the contents of SPOKENWORD.WAV, albeit missing about 5 bits of precision (edit: and requring a 30dB boost to return it to a playable level).

snappo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 3, 2014

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
Is there a violin megathread anywhere? I didn't see anything in the classical thread for it either.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Unlikely, violins have come up a few times in threads here and there but I don't think there's enough demand for a whole megathread. Feel free to go ahead and make one, it's always good learning about different instruments, but don't be surprised if it only gets a couple of posts before it disappears off the first page never to return from the thread graveyard. Musicians Lounge is a cool place but is probably one of the lowest traffic areas of the forums.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wish forums like this one had a longer 'live' window before they got archived, there's a lot of good stuff that's just disappeared and can't be discussed anymore. You could probably leave everything open indefinitely and still have fewer threads than the other forums

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

h_double posted:

Anybody know of any sites which catalog what songs/bands used particular drum machines? I'm mostly interested in 80s pop/alternative, stuff that uses less common drum machines.

I doubt this will be what you're looking for, but it's the closest thing I can think of: http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I assume this is the place to ask, if not please direct me to the proper thread! I have a couple of m4a files that won't play in iTunes. When I load them in, the song title appears and then it just says "Not Available" for the rest of the info. If anyone knows why, I'd love to hear, but my main question is how can I go about changing the file extension (using Logic Pro??) to something else so it will play in iTunes.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Is there a program out there to help me find out the various instrument frequencies in an audio file?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I had no idea where to ask this, but I have a Gemini TT-02 turntable I just use for listening to records. My daughter decided she wanted to play in that room and used the record player as a merry-go-round for her beany babies and broke the needle.

I found what I think it the correct piece, but the site is giving an error at checkout, and other places say that it is a discounted item. Is there a different type of needle/cartridge I could use?

Here is the cartridge I found, it identical to the one I have:
http://www.digilake.com/as/product_info.php?info=p7882_Gemini-CN-1000-Cartridge.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

I had no idea where to ask this, but I have a Gemini TT-02 turntable I just use for listening to records. My daughter decided she wanted to play in that room and used the record player as a merry-go-round for her beany babies and broke the needle.

I found what I think it the correct piece, but the site is giving an error at checkout, and other places say that it is a discounted item. Is there a different type of needle/cartridge I could use?

Here is the cartridge I found, it identical to the one I have:
http://www.digilake.com/as/product_info.php?info=p7882_Gemini-CN-1000-Cartridge.html
These guys will surely be glad to help you out.

Toadsniff posted:

Is there a program out there to help me find out the various instrument frequencies in an audio file?
Like the note frequencies? Melodyne. If it's more to help you mixing, look for a spectrum analyzer (Voxengo SPAN maybe) or a spectrograph.