Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That's not a tagline, you dummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ShufflerZero posted:

35: Zatoichi? No, zat Oichi

Just found out Japan had a rival blind swordsperson movie series featuring a female character named Oichi. 4 movies and a 25 episode TV series were produced in the 'Crimson Bat' series between 1969 and 1971.

(I believe this last one is Turkish)

Sorry for the image quality, these were the best I could find.

That's an extremely handicapable blind woman.

e: Or would riding a horse while being blind be an improvement because the horse can see?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's an extremely handicapable blind woman.

e: Or would riding a horse while being blind be an improvement because the horse can see?

Horseback riding wouldn't be a problem, but the fact that she's clearly looking at something in half those posters is a bit of a give away.

Also, according to Wikipedia the second film in the series is subtitled "Hellish Skin". I wonder if that film focuses more on the challenges she faces as a masseuse.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So for absolutely no reason I decided to look up the poster for the Sonny Chiba classic The Street Fighter.

Not bad! A little goofy but other than him flicking his little buddy's nose and ripping a dude's balls off it represents the movie fairly well. The pulpy style is dead on.

Then I remembered there was a sequel and...

Sonny Chiba starring in some sort of Double Dragon/Incredible Hulk crossover or something :wtc:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

So for absolutely no reason I decided to look up the poster for the Sonny Chiba classic The Street Fighter.

Not bad! A little goofy but other than him flicking his little buddy's nose and ripping a dude's balls off it represents the movie fairly well. The pulpy style is dead on.

Then I remembered there was a sequel and...

Sonny Chiba starring in some sort of Double Dragon/Incredible Hulk crossover or something :wtc:

There were actually three sequels:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Guys, I can't wait for Life of Aking

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Guys, I can't wait for Life of Aking

Man, does the Academy wish they could take that oscar back.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hasters posted:

Man, does the Academy wish they could take that oscar back.

He was one of the few good parts of Pearl Harbor, which deserves an Academy Award in itself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cuba Gooding Jr can be a legitimately great and enjoyable actor.

I have no idea what happened.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr can be a legitimately great and enjoyable actor.

I have no idea what happened.

Let's look at the kind of roles tailored to African-American leading men in the last two decades and go from there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sheldrake posted:

Let's look at the kind of roles tailored to African-American leading men in the last two decades and go from there.

This is sure to be a huge contributing factor, but it feels more like he fell out of favor in general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lack of roles is no excuse for Boat Trip.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Drew: The Man Behind the Poster is out on Netflix if anyone's interested. It's a documentary about Drew Struzan... The documentary ends up discussing the state of the movie poster industry near the end of the movie as well.

I thought it was a really interesting movie and it's definitely worth a watch if you like his work. He's so goddamn humble it's painful.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

TheJoker138 posted:

There were actually three sequels:

I wish people still hired Neal Adams to just draw posters for their movies. I love his movie posters so much.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I feel like I first saw the trailer for this years ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Red_Museum posted:

It was filmed years ago. Looks like it hit major post-production and legal roadblocks for ages.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It looks like it's trying way too hard to be :krad:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red_Museum posted:

Summer Glau must have a really small part, because she's easily as famous as the two dudes on the poster that aren't Peter Dinklage.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Summer Glau must have a really small part, because she's easily as famous as the two dudes on the poster that aren't Peter Dinklage.

Do you not know who Steve Zahn is? I mean he's not super famous but he has had his name billed quite a few times in some biggish movies. Summer Glau is basically unknown outside of the type of person who goes to Comicon (which would be a good reason for her to be billed over knight dude, actually),

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Red_Museum posted:

Was it this trailer?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Do you not know who Steve Zahn is?

More importantly, does anyone still care?

I honestly can't remember anything he's been in since Out of Sight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Do you not know who Steve Zahn is? I mean he's not super famous but he has had his name billed quite a few times in some biggish movies. Summer Glau is basically unknown outside of the type of person who goes to Comicon (which would be a good reason for her to be billed over knight dude, actually),

I do know who he is, but looking over his IMDB I can't remember why. (Actually I think his IMDB is missing a ton of poo poo, because the most recent thing in there I've seen is Reality Bites, which can't be right at all.)

What biggish movie is he in?

The other dude who isn't Peter Dinklage I only know as being the dumb pretty boy on True Blood, so yeah I'm going to say the chick from the Firefly movie and the Terminator TV show is as famous.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I do know who he is, but looking over his IMDB I can't remember why. (Actually I think his IMDB is missing a ton of poo poo, because the most recent thing in there I've seen is Reality Bites, which can't be right at all.)

What biggish movie is he in?

After looking at his Wikipedia page, it turns out he was in Rescue Dawn (which I haven't seen in years) which is worth a look and Shattered Glass, which is apparently really good. Out of Sight, which I mentioned a couple of posts up, is probably the most famous film he's been in though.

Prior to that there's also That Thing You Do! from 1994 and apparently he was in Crimson Tide.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 14, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

He also had a small but important role in Dallas Buyers Club last year.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

A lack of roles is no excuse for Boat Trip.

Or Snow Dogs

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I've only ever seen Zahn in Treme, but he was decent throughout that. The True Blood guy I am shamefully more familiar with as the guy from Home & Away (if you don't know, don't ask).

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Skwirl posted:

Oh wow, that was her? I spent the entire trailer convinced she must've been the director's girlfriend.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

I don't normally post mid-week, but I just came across this "professionally produced" monstrosity and had to share:

I've never wanted to physically hurt an inanimate object before but this poster deserves to be punched in the face.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ShufflerZero posted:

but this poster deserves to be punched in the face.

Or turned into a popsicle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

After looking at his Wikipedia page, it turns out he was in Rescue Dawn (which I haven't seen in years) which is worth a look and Shattered Glass, which is apparently really good. Out of Sight, which I mentioned a couple of posts up, is probably the most famous film he's been in though.

Prior to that there's also That Thing You Do! from 1994 and apparently he was in Crimson Tide.

I missed Shattered Glass and Out of Sight on the list, but I also can't remember him being in those at all.

Fake Edit: I remember him in Out of Sight, he plays a complete gently caress-up whose only contribution is being manipulated by every other character. And while I love that movie, I mostly know it as "The awesome movie no one else knows exists, despite having George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez, Ving Rhames and Don Cheadle." So I'm sticking with Summer Glau being more famous. Also it came out 15 years ago. Shattered Glass came out 10 years ago (and only had a limited release). I still don't see how Summer Glau is less famous.

Sheldrake posted:

Oh wow, that was her? I spent the entire trailer convinced she must've been the director's girlfriend.

I was going off the poster, didn't watch the trailer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does no one remember Steve Zahn from Joyride, or Sahara? I would have thought they were much more famous movies with him in lead roles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saving Silverman.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Zahn is like a lesser Jeff Daniels. He is a supporting actor that can do drama or comedy at the same level.

I know Daniels is now treated like a lead due to Newsroom but who knows, Zahn could get a similar shot.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

pyrrho posted:

Does no one remember Steve Zahn from Joyride, or Sahara? I would have thought they were much more famous movies with him in lead roles.

I think people remember him, but who says "Steve Zahn is in that movie? I have to go see it!" Peter Dinklage is the bigger draw at this point.

Rescue Dawn is very good by the way - Werner Herzog directing Christian Bale? Take my money please. (Zahn actually does a very good job as well.)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Steve Zahn is totally underrated appreciation station. He should start playing a "weird dad" in movies, since he's of-age.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not while Ron Livingston and Kyle Chandler are around.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not while Ron Livingston and Kyle Chandler are around.

Isn't this the same person?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parachute posted:

Steve Zahn is totally underrated appreciation station. He should start playing a "weird dad" in movies, since he's of-age.

I'm pretty sure he was exactly that in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pyrrho posted:

He totally carries Joyride, that was the first movie I saw where he was memorable to me. If you're making a movie that heavily features two guys, and they need to have chemistry, casting Zahn is a good first step. What he does for Joyride he also does for Sahara and Saving Silverman, his presence guarantees at least one likeable character for the audience get attached to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Parachute posted:

Jesus, Steve Zahn is loving 46.