Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or, you know, teleporting.

Teleport them on to the far side of the earth, or send them round on shuttles to the far side of the earth, assimilate China, mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

thespaceinvader posted:

Or, you know, teleporting.

Teleport them on to the far side of the earth, or send them round on shuttles to the far side of the earth, assimilate China, mission accomplished.

I'm just talking about things that were already admittedly happening in the movie. The borg took over the majority of the enterprise. Enough to have people walking around the outside. You can't send a ship?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

Current Earth is probably just more sweet of a prize than past Earth.

Or maybe they wanted to gloat and time travel would eliminate people they could gloat to.

I figure the borg's plan is as follows:

-Send a single cube to hit Earth.

If the federation can't deal any damage, fly around and scare them so they decide to research technology worth assimilating. Send another cube later to steal it.

If they can deal damage, hit their homeworld and assimilate anything they have there. Steal all their technology, crib their DNA, and leave with their mineral resources aboard newly built cubes. Adapt to their weapons, then hit them again now that they're pissed.

If they - somehow - defeat the cube, obviously their technology has been advanced enough for a while. Send a probe back a couple centuries to grab what they had back then, and report to the rest of the borg about what you did.

Not exactly a foolproof plan, but at least one with some logic behind it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

I figure the borg's plan is as follows:

-Send a single cube to hit Earth.

If the federation can't deal any damage, fly around and scare them so they decide to research technology worth assimilating. Send another cube later to steal it.

If they can deal damage, hit their homeworld and assimilate anything they have there. Steal all their technology, crib their DNA, and leave with their mineral resources aboard newly built cubes. Adapt to their weapons, then hit them again now that they're pissed.

If they - somehow - defeat the cube, obviously their technology has been advanced enough for a while. Send a probe back a couple centuries to grab what they had back then, and report to the rest of the borg about what you did.

Not exactly a foolproof plan, but at least one with some logic behind it.

How could they not know what Picard knows? They know all about him!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

The entire end fight to Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is incredibly stupid. Basically, the bad guy has a briefcase that Tom Cruise needs to obtain to disarm some missiles that speeding towards a civilian population. Bad Guy and Tom Cruise end up in one of those automated vertical car parks. They have a back-and-forth fight which ultimately ends with the Bad Guy leaping to his death with the suitcase to prevent Cruise from getting his hands on it, and buy enough time for the missiles to hit their targets. Cruise ends up driving a car off of the upper lot, landing next to the Bad Guy, and defusing the missile with moments to spare.

Which begs the question... why didn't Mr. Bad Guy just, you know, drop the case to the ground from above and continue to delay Cruise mano-a-mano?

Because he hadn't bought enough time yet, and one of Cruise's teammates might have been downstairs. When your job is to make sure a missile goes off and you're willing to die to do it, why the gently caress would you risk throwing away the controller?

As for why Cruise goes for the case instead of finishing the guy off: he wants to have as much time as possible to defuse the missile, and also doesn't know exactly how much time he has left.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

natetimm posted:

How could they not know what Picard knows? They know all about him!

This is personal wish and not part of the canon at all, but I always sort of wished the Borg's collective was explained that only people connected to it contributed to it at that moment.

I think in one episode someone postulated the Borg don't learn through creative thinking or the like, they simply use force to expand their knowledge by assimilation.

The Borg's entire culture would be based entirely on finding advanced cultures because only in an advanced culture would they find the mass of minds needed to actually keep the collective functioning. Once drones would die off from one thing or another, they'd start losing those drone's collective know-how, experiences, etc.

Like I said, only a wish on my part, though.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is personal wish and not part of the canon at all, but I always sort of wished the Borg's collective was explained that only people connected to it contributed to it at that moment.

I think in one episode someone postulated the Borg don't learn through creative thinking or the like, they simply use force to expand their knowledge by assimilation.

The Borg's entire culture would be based entirely on finding advanced cultures because only in an advanced culture would they find the mass of minds needed to actually keep the collective functioning. Once drones would die off from one thing or another, they'd start losing those drone's collective know-how, experiences, etc.

Like I said, only a wish on my part, though.

Theoretically they had Picard's brain for download. Then they added in the stupid borg whispers in his brain or whatever. Such a terrible movie.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
At that point the Borg were pissed of about the federation and wanted to get rid of them. No more assimilating no more playing around. Just eliminate humanity and go back to conquering the galaxy. Hence the direct assault. When that fails they try to stop humanity in the past which actually works because the enterprise sees the assimilated earth while they travel back in time. Why they could only travel back in time close to earth? Believe me if someone would have asked that in the movie they would have found an explanation. A strange chroniton storm that only exists in the solar system and only for one day or stuff like that.
What always irritated me was the single Borg cube. They barely manage to take one cube down. Why not send two? Or you know...100? 1000?
The Borg control a massive empire and really want to get rid of the federation. They could have wiped earth out within a day. But nope. Just one cube. Can't spare a second one.

The borgs power really depends on the writer. They go from "one drone can take down whole ships" to "meh it's just a cube" and back pretty quickly.

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Shai-Hulud posted:

What always irritated me was the single Borg cube. They barely manage to take one cube down. Why not send two? Or you know...100? 1000?
The Borg control a massive empire and really want to get rid of the federation. They could have wiped earth out within a day. But nope. Just one cube. Can't spare a second one.

They act like machines, so efficiency matters. Those other 999 cubes are off doing other stuff, like conquering other races. That's what should make them really scary as an enemy. Of course, as you say, their power depends on writer's need, and we are left wondering why the Borg aren't wiping out the Klingons and the Cardasians or whoever else all day. If they did, all the non-Borg tension would be gone, so they can't do that, of course.

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

natetimm posted:

This English professor guy I have on facebook as a friend of a friend saw my rant about this and I told him the only good example of hard sci-fi time travel I have ever come across is Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. He thought that was hilarious and we spent the next 20 minutes talking about why Prometheus was so stupid.

Primer Is the only time travel film I've seen that makes sense. It requires multiple viewings and a complicated chart to really understand, but it actually works.
Which is saying something when a character tries to beat another version of them-self in order to drug a different version of themselves.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Purple Gromit posted:

Primer Is the only time travel film I've seen that makes sense. It requires multiple viewings and a complicated chart to really understand, but it actually works.
Which is saying something when a character tries to beat another version of them-self in order to drug a different version of themselves.

12 Monkeys (or La Jetée if you prefer) doesn't really bother me as a time travel movie. It's pretty straightforward really.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Purple Gromit posted:

The biggest problem with Primer is that the two main characters are indistinguishable from one another in the dark even before any time travel happens. And three quarters of the movie takes place in the dark.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The Duke of Ben posted:

They act like machines, so efficiency matters. Those other 999 cubes are off doing other stuff, like conquering other races. That's what should make them really scary as an enemy. Of course, as you say, their power depends on writer's need, and we are left wondering why the Borg aren't wiping out the Klingons and the Cardasians or whoever else all day. If they did, all the non-Borg tension would be gone, so they can't do that, of course.

It gets even worse in later TV episodes because they invent an even bigger Mary Sue race to gently caress with the borg. Basically, Star Trek writing is terrible even though people like me love it so much. Maybe it's childhood nostalgia or whatever, but if some kind of Star Trek is on, I feel compelled to watch it. Same with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Even though i own the commercial-free DVDs, I will watch them on TV if they are on.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

natetimm posted:

Maybe it's childhood nostalgia or whatever
I've actually stopped rewatching stuff I feel childhood nostalgia towards because it's usually poo poo and I'd rather just remember Battletruck as being loving awesome thank you very much.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Purple Gromit posted:

I think that Source Code's time travel rules work pretty well, though they have some unsettling implications if you take the time to think about them. It at least has a good answer for they don't just go back in time over and over until everything works out perfectly: You can't change the past, you can only change the past of some other universe. And who cares about those guys?

Though that movie has other problems. The beginning where they just toss Jake Gyllenhaal into the past without any briefing whatsoever always bothered me. You'd think that they'd want to wake him up in the "capsule" and make sure that he's ready first.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Purple Gromit posted:

My biggest problem with Primer is that it doesn't seem like it has a story so at some point everything seems to be happening just because.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Purple Gromit posted:

Timecrimes makes the most sense of any time travel film in recent memory, and it requires maybe two viewings tops. It's also character-driven and not bogged down by jargon or explaining time travel mechanisms beyond the basics, but it's probably the most internally-consistent and self-contained time travel film I have ever seen.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
"Thor: The dark world" is called "Thor: The dark kingdom" in Germany. What the gently caress is up with that?

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

INH5 posted:

I think that Source Code's time travel rules work pretty well, though they have some unsettling implications if you take the time to think about them. It at least has a good answer for they don't just go back in time over and over until everything works out perfectly: You can't change the past, you can only change the past of some other universe. And who cares about those guys?

Though that movie has other problems. The beginning where they just toss Jake Gyllenhaal into the past without any briefing whatsoever always bothered me. You'd think that they'd want to wake him up in the "capsule" and make sure that he's ready first.

I don't believe the at the beginning of the movie he is thrown in like that. He does have briefing. That's why at the beginning when Goodwin asks what her name is to Jake he was never told in the movie. He remembers because he has been doing this over and over all ready and just got "lost" in the pattern and got off track with their science. I'm sure they did have to throw him in at first but that is not something you see on screen. He had already been doing it a few times.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Shai-Hulud posted:

"Thor: The dark world" is called "Thor: The dark kingdom" in Germany. What the gently caress is up with that?
Maybe it just sounds better that way, in German.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Maybe it just sounds better that way, in German.
No it's actually called "the dark kingdom", in English. What the gently caress indeed. Even in the irritating world of German film titles, that stands out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The thing is, it is not translated. It's literally "Thor: The dark kingdom"
"World" sounds more like a weird scifi dimension, while "kingdom" has a connotation which sounds vaquely like fantasy. So some executive localizer probably thought, that the title would spark a larger interest of the target demographic.

Germans generally speak English quite well, so it is not to uncommon to have some english phrases in a title.

To be honest, I've seem way weirder titles. As far as I am aware Bridget Jones "Schokolade zum Frühstück" (chocolate for breakfast) is based on a scene which isn't even in the actual movie.
Full disclosure, that might be totally wrong. Never saw that film.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jan 12, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm irrationally irritated by movie title subtitles.

Maybe I'm just boring, but I enjoyed the old days where they just slapped a number on the end. There's a weird combination of feeling impressed/sad at seeing "Critters 1, 2, 3, and 4" on my DVD shelf.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

The thing is, it is not translated. It's literally "Thor: The dark kingdom"
"World" sounds more like a weird scifi dimension, while "kingdom" has a connotation which sounds vaquely like fantasy. So some executive localizer probably thought, that the title would spark a larger interest of the target demographic.

Germans generally speak English quite well, so it is not to uncommon to have some english phrases in a title.

To be honest, I've seem way weirder titles. As far as I am aware Bridget Jones "Schokolade zum Frühstück" (chocolate for breakfast) is based on a scene which isn't even in the actual movie.
Full disclosure, that might be totally wrong. Never saw that film.

Best/Worst of this for me is probably Banlieue 13. Instead of just letting it stand like this, or maybe translating it literally to "Distrikt 13", they instead went with "Ghettogangz". Yes, including that z.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Jedit posted:

Because he hadn't bought enough time yet, and one of Cruise's teammates might have been downstairs. When your job is to make sure a missile goes off and you're willing to die to do it, why the gently caress would you risk throwing away the controller?

Even if one of the teammates is downstairs, how much extra time does forcing them to shift your corpse off the controller buy you?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best movie title translation is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

In French it translates to "It's Raining Hamburgers".

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The continental Portuguese title translation for the first 1968 Planet of the apes film had a very accurate accurate translation, unfortunately also a massive spoiler alert.

"O Homem que Veio do Futuro ", which translates to "The man that came from the future".

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Falukorv posted:

The continental Portuguese title translation for the first 1968 Planet of the apes film had a very accurate accurate translation, unfortunately also a massive spoiler alert.

"O Homem que Veio do Futuro ", which translates to "The man that came from the future".

Wouldn't the spoiler be "the man that came TO the future"?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Shaun of the Dead's title was translated into Spanish as :toot:ZOMBIES PARTY:toot:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Shaun of the Dead's title was translated into Spanish as :toot:ZOMBIES PARTY:toot:

I remember some WTF Swedish translations we've had.

"Swingers" was translated to something along the lines of "Dude, where are the chicks?" (in Swedish).

"My Blue Heaven" was translated to Swedish for "How i teached an FBI agent to dance merengue".

"Meet the Family" = "The family are the worst"

"Trashin" = "Gang war on skates"

"Armed and Dangerous" = "Pea brain - armed and lethal"

In Denmark "Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon" was translated into "Tiger på språng, drage i skjul", which might make more sense for a Dane, but for a Swede it sounds like "Tiger on the run, dragon in the shed", because in Swedish "skjul" means "shed" and "på språng" means either "on the run" or "leaping".

And then there was a time where alot of title translations got the word "deadly" in them.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Jan 13, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a moment per se, but still counts since it's a spergy thing:

Wreck-It Ralph's core plot is that the titular character, being the bad guy, never wins. But here's the problem: games of that era were designed in such a way that the bad guy always wound up winning. Ralph on Level 1 might be a pushover, but Ralph on Level 30 will be too fast to beat. Sure, there might be a neckbeard who can win until the game shits the bed because nobody was supposed to get past Level 255, but that's rare. Ralph always wins in the end.

I completely understand that the answer to this is "If he doesn't act in a certain way, there's no story", but it still annoys me.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

MisterBibs posted:

Not a moment per se, but still counts since it's a spergy thing:

Wreck-It Ralph's core plot is that the titular character, being the bad guy, never wins. But here's the problem: games of that era were designed in such a way that the bad guy always wound up winning. Ralph on Level 1 might be a pushover, but Ralph on Level 30 will be too fast to beat. Sure, there might be a neckbeard who can win until the game shits the bed because nobody was supposed to get past Level 255, but that's rare. Ralph always wins in the end.

I completely understand that the answer to this is "If he doesn't act in a certain way, there's no story", but it still annoys me.

It's not that he doesn't win it's that his wins aren't celebrated. My dude doesn't dream of winning he dreams of getting a hero's medal and a cake but that bitch rear end mayor dude ain't havin it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah he even says in the intro (paraphrasing) "Do you get any medals for wrecking stuff? No."

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yeah, its about recognition. Even if he wins hes the "bad guy."

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

And they don't even invite him to the sick penthouse rager they throw every night, just because he's the "bad guy" who's been forever badzoned.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

sforzacio posted:

And they don't even invite him to the sick penthouse rager they throw every night, just because he's the "bad guy" who's been forever badzoned.

But the movie shows him having huge rage issues, and also at one point treats the hologram guy like poo poo. I never got the impression he was a "good" person at the beginning even if he grew into one.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

But the movie shows him having huge rage issues, and also at one point treats the hologram guy like poo poo. I never got the impression he was a "good" person at the beginning even if he grew into one.

He gives homeless lil' Q*bert a cherry and the hologram guy profiles him every time he enters or leaves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Let's see how pleasant you are to deal with after being dumped off a roof multiple times a day every day for 20+ years.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Splicer posted:

Let's see how pleasant you are to deal with after being dumped off a roof multiple times a day every day for 20+ years.

The man sleeps on bricks.

Edit: I should have clarified; I agree with the posts above and below, I was just illustrating how poo poo on Ralph is.

Pook Good Mook has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

The man sleeps on bricks.

He also doesn't really have a choice. He can't build poo poo, and until the end of the movie we never see Felix lifting his hammer to build Ralph a house.

It's less about Ralph winning in his game, and being treated like a winner; the Nicelanders all treat him like poo poo, and even Felix barely seems to like him (Felix can't be mean to anyone, I presume, but he also doesn't go out of his way to talk to Ralph either.), and he's seen as a bad guy even to people not in his game (remember how everyone freaked when he was heading from Pac-Man back to his game and ran away from him?). poo poo, after 30 years of that, anyone is bound to be in a poo poo mood, especially when you're excluded from everything, even your own anniversary party.

Me, I always thought it was a nice touch that Ralph kinda watched the Sugar Rush kids destroy Vanellope's cart and just mutter to himself that it was harsh, but he didn't go out to stop them or tell them to knock it off. Because he's not invested in it that much...until the head of the kids spouts off a Mayor-like speech and throws the girl in the mud. THEN Ralph actually gets pissed and chases them all away, because he knows too well what that's like.

That said, as for the Good Guys, we never see Felix given Qbert food, or talk to him, or even seem to notice him. It's Ralph who does that. Felix is a good guy but totally loving oblivious to most everything; Ralph being seen as the bad guy means he sees a poo poo ton more.

• Locked thread