Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

You should probably always salvage for luck. A green is only going to net you about 2 silver. But after you hit about 150% it skyrockets into craztown.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:TotalLuckReq.png

You should really aim for at least 100% though. Its not very hard and I've seen a very nice boost to the amount of rares I get.

That's what I hear as well. Salvage until you get 150 MF from luck, and then sell. Unless you really like salvaging or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

graynull posted:

It would have been kinda awesome if in the year+ I've been away they could have figured out some of these sticking points for DE's and fixed them. Can't finish this Svanir's Dome meta and it is killing my motivation to keep going.\

Edit: V not in a goon guild at the moment. Wanted to wait till I felt like I was gonna stick with the game for a bit before I bothered someone about joining. Even was bugged, but I guess they fixed the guesting feature so I got it done on another server.

I have no problems running around with returning or new goons and covering basics, handy skills or mechanics to become acquainted with. Whether you stick around or not is immaterial but I feel having at least an extra person with you can make the difference. You can contact or send mail to me ingame at Delacroix.2650.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Anoia posted:

All the goddamn time. I can't say we're even friends anymore, because that game is his life now.

That makes sense. DOTA is super fun but in order to be even a small step above the worst you have to basically dedicate your entire life to it or the nerds will scream at you.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ApeHawk posted:

It's maxed at 300% (from the luck stat, not overall MF) so you don't have to worry about the game forcing you to keep consuming luck. Just do whatever you want in that regard.

Did they ever change that in terms of actually getting to 300? When it launched, I'm pretty sure I remember people smashing thousands and thousands of greens and blues and only getting halfway, with the cost just climbing further for every point.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Very top of the OP is a link to stuff the last few months of updates. Please read the OP!

To be fair, the updates page is pretty crap. 27th of November is the most recent entry on the main page, and the older updates sidebar all link to the 2012 pages. You have to go through the Category: Updates or just fiddle with the URL you can get with the 2012 pages, unless I'm mistaken. The november 2013 page is totally empty too, and I'm pretty sure I remember there being stuff between October and the 27th of November update happening.

EDIT: Ah, the luck graph. Nice to see I'm still at the point you can barely see it climbing at all!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

Did they ever change that in terms of actually getting to 300? When it launched, I'm pretty sure I remember people smashing thousands and thousands of greens and blues and only getting halfway, with the cost just climbing further for every point.

Probably not, its a good goldsink and they've added a bunch of those lately. I think they didn't count on how rich some people would really get. Just look at the changes to infused ascended gear. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony_Infusion A single +20 will cost you 7843 in reagents alone.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

MooCowlian posted:

No. It takes around 400,000 blues, or 150,000 greens, or 40,000 globs of ectoplasm. They picked ridiculously high numbers on purpose, because that's a huge amount of magic find.

~150% is generally accepted as a good inflection point; it only requires about 11% of the total luck needed for 300%.

That said, it's profitable to salvage all blues and many greens to sell the materials anyway (salvaging ectos has a significant loss).

Edit:

King Lazer posted:

I saw a very noticeable increase in rares when I hit around 88% luck. Still seems to be going strong.

My experience is similar.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 14, 2014

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Zhentar posted:

No. It takes around 400,000 blues, or 150,000 greens, or 40,000 globs of ectoplasm. They picked ridiculously high numbers on purpose, because that's a huge amount of magic find.

~150% is generally accepted as a good inflection point; it only requires about 11% of the total luck needed for 300%.

That said, it's profitable to salvage all blues and many greens to sell the materials anyway (salvaging ectos has a significant loss).

Alright, thanks for the advice. Will likely aim for 100~150% at this rate.

What do you mean by salvaging ectos has a significant loss? That it is better to buy them rather than count on salvaging them off yellows?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Weissritter posted:

Alright, thanks for the advice. Will likely aim for 100~150% at this rate.

What do you mean by salvaging ectos has a significant loss? That it is better to buy them rather than count on salvaging them off yellows?

He means salvaging them directly, which gives you crystalline dust and luck essence.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

He means salvaging them directly, which gives you crystalline dust and luck essence.

Ahhh. Did not even try doing that before since so many of the higher level stuff needs them to be crafted.

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh
MF is a troll stat. No one knows the loot tables or odds for mob drops, so it is impossible to know how valuable it is. It is just a gold sink and a trick to give the game more progression.

That being said, I totally fall for it. I get moist whenever that blue clover pops up in the corner of my screen...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So I've been experimenting -- I made a Guardian (Hammer DPS, Mace Symbol, Bunker), Warrior (S/S LB Condi, Hambow), Ranger (Spirit), Engi (Power/Static Discharge), Ele (Staff Glass), Thief (S/P Pistol Whip Faceroller).

I can't seem to even muster the motivation to try Necromancer or Mesmer, even though they look pretty okay. As a relatively new player, I have to say in order of effectiveness I've been most successful with Guardian and Warrior, but Spirit Ranger was surprisingly fun and killy -- their forum is full of bitching and whining but I didn't have too many problems.

Ele is fun, but I can't kill anything, really. My main damage combo is ... 7 buttons?
My Engi build was okay but died quickly, and was pretty one-trick.
Thief I didn't like TOO much, but S/P reminded me of my Witch Hunter from WAR.

Is there a Warrior build besides S/S Condi or Hambow? I sometimes see a Rifle/GS build, but it seems like such a waste.
Is there a decent Ranger spec that uses Marksman? I feel dumb running around with ghosts.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Admittedly I am but a mere 19, but I am having trouble figuring out what really to do with my Ele as far as damage rotations or even really weapon choice. Can anyone offer guidance? Sitting in S/D Fire sorta works, as does sitting in S/D Earth, or D/D Air if I feel like playing dangerous, but I haven't really hit on any decent multi-element combos.

Although I guess for any group content I'm supposed to use a staff?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, how the hell does anyone have fun in WvW? Do you have to be 80 to duel anyone?

It seems if I set my bar to zerg, I'll get picked off because my skills would be completely 100% different in a duel or smaller fight, and when I'm zerging, I'm just chasing other people mashing 1. I don't understand WvW at all.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Also, how the hell does anyone have fun in WvW? Do you have to be 80 to duel anyone?

It seems if I set my bar to zerg, I'll get picked off because my skills would be completely 100% different in a duel or smaller fight, and when I'm zerging, I'm just chasing other people mashing 1. I don't understand WvW at all.

Sounds like you understand it fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Why are you duelling in WvW? Find a group or a zerg, and don't stray enough to get picked off?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm just chasing other people mashing 1

Grats, you're up to par with all the top WvW guilds in the game!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Firstborn posted:

So I've been experimenting -- I made a Guardian (Hammer DPS, Mace Symbol, Bunker), Warrior (S/S LB Condi, Hambow), Ranger (Spirit), Engi (Power/Static Discharge), Ele (Staff Glass), Thief (S/P Pistol Whip Faceroller).

I can't seem to even muster the motivation to try Necromancer or Mesmer, even though they look pretty okay. As a relatively new player, I have to say in order of effectiveness I've been most successful with Guardian and Warrior, but Spirit Ranger was surprisingly fun and killy -- their forum is full of bitching and whining but I didn't have too many problems.

Ele is fun, but I can't kill anything, really. My main damage combo is ... 7 buttons?
My Engi build was okay but died quickly, and was pretty one-trick.
Thief I didn't like TOO much, but S/P reminded me of my Witch Hunter from WAR.

Is there a Warrior build besides S/S Condi or Hambow? I sometimes see a Rifle/GS build, but it seems like such a waste.
Is there a decent Ranger spec that uses Marksman? I feel dumb running around with ghosts.

It sounds like you're using mostly spvp builds. Mesmers have a lot of staying power and most of the time can choose to disengage from any fight, they can have trouble keeping up with people but people seem to use Mantra of Distraction lately. Consider trying a Staff + 1H S/T Prismatic Understanding build for a experience that approximates a thief CQC playstyle. As for necro, minion master necro is pretty low effort for reasonable damage and incredibly survivability using soldier's gear. If that's not to your liking, I've had very good success running a 30/30/0/0/10 berserker necro build which has enough life force output to make you slightly less squishy despite being short ranged.

As for rangers, you might feel silly using a spirit build but it's rather effective given how you simultaneously gain power and damage investing in defensive trait lines. You can crit people for 3k with an max range autoattack from a 30/25/15/0/0 berserker LB build if you really want to. While amusing, I don't think it's worth giving up the the survivability you get otherwise from a spirit or beastmaster build.

Firstborn posted:

It boils down to either meandering around and stabbing poor yaks or using a modicum of tactical skill to beat up opposing zergs and/or taking their stuff quickly. I'm not so sure about the former but the latter is fun if you relish murdering other people and collecting loot en masse.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
New Gem store stuff:

Metallurgic Dye Kit - 125 gems each or 5 for 500 gems. Contain 6 new dyes among the pool of 25 dyes.
Pics: http://imgur.com/a/YxeIr

Amenity Dye [&AgF1wQAA] Fling Dye [&AgF2wQAA] Onset Dye [&AgF3wQAA] Perseverance Dye [&AgF4wQAA] Prosperity Dye [&AgF5wQAA] Recall Dye [&AgF6wQAA]

Basic Ore Node Pack - places copper, silver, and gold nodes in your home instance. - 800 gems.

Metabolic Primer - 150 gems each, 5/550 gems or 25 for 2625 gems. Once consumed, any food eaten while the primer is active will have at least the same duration as the remaining metabolic primer time. The primer lasts for 12 hrs and does not stack.

Don't know if I hate the idea of the ore node pack or not.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mosthated posted:

New Gem store stuff:

Metallurgic Dye Kit - 125 gems each or 5 for 500 gems. Contain 6 new dyes among the pool of 25 dyes.

Amenity Dye [&AgF1wQAA] Fling Dye [&AgF2wQAA] Onset Dye [&AgF3wQAA] Perseverance Dye [&AgF4wQAA] Prosperity Dye [&AgF5wQAA] Recall Dye [&AgF6wQAA]

Basic Ore Node Pack - places copper, silver, and gold nodes in your home instance. - 800 gems.

Metabolic Primer - 150 gems each, 5/550 gems or 25 for 2625 gems. Once consumed, any food eaten while the primer is active will have at least the same duration as the remaining metabolic primer time. The primer lasts for 12 hrs and does not stack.

Ooh, pretty dyes.

I don't think the ore is really a problem, it's not like there's that much of it and they're not particularly valuable ones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mosthated posted:

New Gem store stuff:

gently caress, gem time.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
drat it ArenaNet I've given you enough of my money for one month!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I want to know how long it would take for the ore node pack to pay for itself.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mosthated posted:

New Gem store stuff:

The primer is a nice idea, but the cost keeps it from being worth it. I can't think of any food that would cost more to buy 12 hours worth of than the primer.

Node Pack might have potential for anybody who makes use of their home instance (surely there has to be someone out there).

Decided to give the dye packs a try. Sitting on a trio of Perseverance Dyes. :toot: Here's hoping those'll pay off.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Pesterchum posted:

I want to know how long it would take for the ore node pack to pay for itself.

If they're normal 3-4 strikes/nodes, you're probably better off just roaming a mid-level zone for T2-3 resources, I'd wager.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mosthated posted:

Unless you were already making the trip to your home instance to mine candy/quartz, it's still a billion times more efficient to, say, walk three feet to the nearest node and mine that instead.

Let people spend money on things like this if they want. It keeps the game updates free for everyone else.

vvvvv node reset is based on the node level, so the copper one is probably going to come back pretty drat fast like all the other copper nodes.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 14, 2014

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

What's the home resource node reset? If it's the same time as the daily, and acts as a regular resource node, then that's like, at most, 2s per day of income.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Wait... Home Instance?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Node pack is a waste of gems. Gathering tool 3-pack gives you the convenience of bag space not being taken up by tools and never having to swap yours out, 1% pass makes you objectively better than poor people :smug: but node pack in the home instance? When is the home instance ever convenient?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Mosthated posted:

New Gem store stuff:

Amenity dye. :byodame:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I find it troubling that you people are questioning the divine racial qualities decreed by Dear Leader Himself.

Dear Leader is really an Asura in disguise :cawg:

Virgil
Jun 15, 2003

TT: Will I be blinded by the fearsome lashes of light ribboning from the incandescent coastline of his beauteous aura?

Brain In A Jar posted:

What's the home resource node reset? If it's the same time as the daily, and acts as a regular resource node, then that's like, at most, 2s per day of income.

Knowing ANet it is probably once per day per account, which means it's 3 copper, 3 silver, and 3 gold ores per day.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Dulfy says that it is indeed once a day per account.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Kassad posted:

Dulfy says that it is indeed once a day per account.

That's perfect, it'll pay for itself in a short 990 days

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are thieves still terrible. Y/N.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Trick question, they never were.

Also new guy, don't worry about account MF. You'll never make back the money you spend on it.

daspope fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Gourd of Taste posted:

That's perfect, it'll pay for itself in a short 990 days

If it's in one home instance, it's in all of them.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
So Scarlet has a nice big robot?!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

You guys like Scarlet right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCitl7GkBBI

MercyfulFate
Aug 19, 2003

A trailer that mostly just looks like an average Great Jungle Wurm fight, except the wurm is yellow? SO HYPED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't even give a poo poo how lame it is, I'm pretty excited for new stuff after a whole month of snowballs.

• Locked thread