Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starting with Kepler there's possibly a bigger chance the GPUs are not specifically binned and are instead just given different bioses. There's a huge range of clock, voltage and power level options available to the same GPU. Someone who doesn't care about overclocking and just wants a small PC would probably not buy the same board as someone who doesn't care about the extra heat given off by a card with a factory 300 watt power target and just wants as much performance as possible. It's an easy way to distinguish yourself for a board manufacturer and if they can get an extra 20$ from people on top of that, even better.

I only follow Nvidia boards, I have no idea how AMD does things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

craig588 posted:

You can install second card and flash the original bios you backed up if you messed up any of your edits. The 780ti still uses basically the same bios as the Titan which is still incredibly similar to as far back as the 680. You really should edit your bios yourself instead of flashing someone elses. Here's the Google Translate version of the tool take makes Kepler bios editing really easy. I don't remember any of the offsets to do it manually anymore since that tool makes it so easy. I wouldn't recommend using the recently released software patches to force higher voltages though afterburner because you're fighting against the power management implementation and are probably going to waste a whole lot of heat. A potentiometer hard mod would be a better idea if you really wanted more than 1.21. That way you're just giving the GPU a set offset voltage and the driver/software doesn't know anything about it.

I've actually been messing around the other direction. I have my 680 down to using only .9v under low load situations.

This tool doesn't seem to allow you to modify the voltage table. Everything else seems open, but that is pretty important if you want to overclock higher. There are BIOS files that have been modified with an increased voltage table.

Without going into further fuckery with voltages, I can hit 1320 core, 3456 memory this on my board. I haven't tried it, but 1.4v is possible with BIOS and softmods. It absolutely crushes things at 1920x1200 and that has really kept me from doing further tinkering.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phuzun posted:

This tool doesn't seem to allow you to modify the voltage table. Everything else seems open, but that is pretty important if you want to overclock higher. There are BIOS files that have been modified with an increased voltage table.

Without going into further fuckery with voltages, I can hit 1320 core, 3456 memory this on my board. I haven't tried it, but 1.4v is possible with BIOS and softmods. It absolutely crushes things at 1920x1200 and that has really kept me from doing further tinkering.

You really don't want to do that with softmods. If you want more voltage you really want to do a mod with a potentiometer that the software and driver doesn't see. The important thing to edit in the bios is the power limits. Those premodded bioses have boost disabled which was one of the best power saving things that the Kepler generation started.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

craig588 posted:

You really don't want to do that with softmods. If you want more voltage you really want to do a mod with a potentiometer that the software and driver doesn't see. The important thing to edit in the bios is the power limits. Those premodded bioses have boost disabled which was one of the best power saving things that the Kepler generation started.

I guess that isn't my concern. I always keep it folding or gaming when running, which just happens to be always.

e: always

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

The newest OBS streaming software, .6 beta, has a checkbox for using Nvidia Nvenc. I guess that's a big deal because Shadowplay won't do Twitch streams in windowed or borderless windowed mode. So if you use dual monitors for example, you can multitask and still stream with the Kepler hardware. I haven't tried it myself mind you but my best friend streams DayZ and he seemed psyched.

Holy poo poo, thanks for posting about this. I love(d) ShadowPlay, but really disliked not being able to use it without being in fullscreen mode.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

BurritoJustice posted:

You know I hate to break it to you after all you talk about it, but the SC versions of EVGA cards are literally identical to the base versions except for the slight stock speed boost.

This has been a known thing since at least GF110, though. Hence all the talk earlier in the thread when the 780Ti had just launched of deciding to buy early to play the chip lotto with more lows and more highs before the binning starts. As far as all the talk about it, there's a reason for that - from the factory specifically the SC ACX does have a more aggressive BIOS, which allows for more overclocking potential even assuming that two chips are bone stock identical (hahahaha) because of the extra voltage overhead especially (and a little because of its more aggressive coarse-grained turbo bin behavior, but that's really only good if you've somehow got slightly less than an actual bin's worth of MHz and it's operating from a base frequency that allows it to hit a number at the top that is not clearly a multiple of 13 even though it's very likely to be a multiple of 26, but starting at the factory turbo point).

Craig, Phuzun, thanks for the information! :rock: Gunshy to actually DO it but we'll see how it goes. I don't like the idea of turning off Boost/Boost 2.0, personally I quite like the power savings even if it makes the card more finicky to overclock and always, always misrepresents the actual in-situ clock headroom in GPU-Z, it also goes back to using waaaaay low energy and idles at 20ºC in cooler weather and I am not either folding or gaming 24/7.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 13, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Jumping on the "new card bandwagon" early almost always seems to pay off. If for no other reason you pay the same price but get to use it so much longer than someone who buys in later. I the case of the 290s, a shitload of them ended up unlockable. Where as if you buy now, odds are against you, and as a bonus you get to pay 100 dollars more due to Newegg's pricing algorithm that apparently everyone else uses to price theirs.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

veedubfreak posted:

Jumping on the "new card bandwagon" early almost always seems to pay off. If for no other reason you pay the same price but get to use it so much longer than someone who buys in later. I the case of the 290s, a shitload of them ended up unlockable. Where as if you buy now, odds are against you, and as a bonus you get to pay 100 dollars more due to Newegg's pricing algorithm that apparently everyone else uses to price theirs.

One of the few times being an early adopter has paid off and geez, did it pay off huge. Though I really feel for anybody looking to pick up a video card right now.

Speaking of, did you end up paying the markup for your 3rd 290?

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
I've just installed my shiny new XFX 290 Double Dissipation card and I'm a bit concerned about VRM temps.

Running Unigine Heaven results in VRM 1 reaching temperatures of 115C after about 20 minutes under full load. This is with a memory overclock from 1250mhz to 1350mhz. Returning memory to stock seems to keep it just below 100C. Core temps are pretty good, about 75C under load. Ambient temps in my apartment are about 23C-24C. Case airflow is good.

These VRM temps are pretty horrendous right? Should I be thinking about returning the card? Is it worth taking the cooler off and checking heat sinks are making contact?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
But it runs correctly stock. Are you returning it cause you cant overclock it as high as youd like?

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

But it runs correctly stock. Are you returning it cause you cant overclock it as high as youd like?

Isn't 100C stock still extremely high though? How does one define 'runs correctly' in regards to temperatures? The card runs perfectly stable with the 1350mhz overclock but its only when I looked at temps that I thought something was up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You'd have to ask XFX what the max temp rating for the VRM is supposed to be on their card but generally yea 100C is pushing the limit for most electronics.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I was under the impression that 100ºC is still in the safe zone for AMD's VI card VRMs, with their max temperature topping out a bit over 125ºC. But I don't own one and I'm not taking the risk so you might want to find out that information a little more solidly than just what I might have picked up reading about them from launch, dig?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok.... so on boxing day I used NCIX.ca to purchase the parts for a "budget" m-ITX gaming pc (using bitphenix prodigy as the case)

I got almost every part on a discount, which I was pretty happy about, except for the GPU. I did a bit of research and settled on getting an r9 270x graphics card as it seemed like a good bang for the buck. The one that appeared to have the best benchmarks was the MSI Hawk Edition, and it also came with Battlefield 4 which is the one game I'm interested in playing so I figured it didn't matter too much that I didn't get a discount on the card as it would even out.

Now here's the problem: when I ordered the card, it said it was in stock. Then I was told they were out of stock and didn't know when they were coming in, but the girl I spoke to said that last time they were out of stock they got a shipment in about 8 business days later. I decided to wait since I wasn't in a hurry to get the computer.

Pretty soon it's going to be a month since I ordered my stuff and they haven't shipped anything because of the drat GPU. I spoke to them again yesterday and they told me that they have no idea when they are getting that Hawk Edition in, and that it might be discontinued....

So I must ask:

1) Can it really be that such a recent card would be discontinued so soon? Is MSI having some sort of problem getting their cards out, or is it just NCIX that isn't getting them?
2) Is there a decent alternative that I can choose instead? They told me I can switch to another card if I want. I'd prefer one that came with BF4 since it's really the one game I want to play right now and I have a hefty backlog of steam games anyways...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The R9 270X is a rebranded 7870, if I remember correctly. I think these are still desired for coin mining. This could explain the lack of supply.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Phuzun posted:

The R9 270X is a rebranded 7870, if I remember correctly. I think these are still desired for coin mining. This could explain the lack of supply.

Core boost +50MHz, Memory +200MHz over the 7870.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Duro posted:

1) Can it really be that such a recent card would be discontinued so soon? Is MSI having some sort of problem getting their cards out, or is it just NCIX that isn't getting them?
2) Is there a decent alternative that I can choose instead? They told me I can switch to another card if I want. I'd prefer one that came with BF4 since it's really the one game I want to play right now and I have a hefty backlog of steam games anyways...

I'm pretty sure I've seen other MSI cards listed as being discontinued, so there might be something there. NCIX in general is slow and unresponsive compared to Amazon or Newegg, not unbearably so but they're not really 'on the ball'. The combination of the two is just asking for trouble. I had the same issue with the 280xes before the holiday, and have just decided to stick with my card until something better comes out or the ltc miners get their power bill and throw in the towel.

Edit: I think the 760 is probably the closest in-stock card to what you'd pay for/get out of a 270x.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 14, 2014

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ItBurns posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen other MSI cards listed as being discontinued, so there might be something there. NCIX in general is slow and unresponsive compared to Amazon or Newegg, not unbearably so but they're not really 'on the ball'. The combination of the two is just asking for trouble. I had the same issue with the 280xes before the holiday, and have just decided to stick with my card until something better comes out or the ltc miners get their power bill and throw in the towel.

Edit: I think the 760 is probably the closest in-stock card to what you'd pay for/get out of a 270x.

Well he does want that BF4 pack-in. Newegg.ca has the XFX 270X with the game code and is the cheapest available. I certainly wouldn't wait on NCIX any further at this point.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the Tegra K1? It seems to be taking up a lot of headlines but hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eggyolk posted:

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the Tegra K1? It seems to be taking up a lot of headlines but hasn't been mentioned here yet.

its just the ARM of the month.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I know I've seen it in the past and I can't remember what its called, but is there an Nvidia equivalent to Radeon Pro?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shadowhand00 posted:

I know I've seen it in the past and I can't remember what its called, but is there an Nvidia equivalent to Radeon Pro?

nVidiaInspector. I found it to be pretty convenient because it came with a fairly comprehensive list of settings profiles for games.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ghostpilot posted:

One of the few times being an early adopter has paid off and geez, did it pay off huge. Though I really feel for anybody looking to pick up a video card right now.

Speaking of, did you end up paying the markup for your 3rd 290?

A certain goon is sending me his 2nd card with waterblock that he decided he didn't need.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Goons don't rip off other :pcgaming: goons.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phuzun posted:

Well he does want that BF4 pack-in. Newegg.ca has the XFX 270X with the game code and is the cheapest available. I certainly wouldn't wait on NCIX any further at this point.

Well, since I already paid NCIX I figured I'd stick with them for now and just make them switch the card out

NCIX allegedly has the Asus, XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor in stock

Which is better? I really don't follow hardware manufacturers that much (I've been out of the game for a while) so I don't know which is quality and which to avoid. I think I would have been happy with the Hawk cause it looked well built, but what can we do.

Someone told me about these miners buying this card, it's crazy that it might be a reason why these cards are mostly out of stock

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Duro posted:

Well, since I already paid NCIX I figured I'd stick with them for now and just make them switch the card out

NCIX allegedly has the Asus, XFX, Sapphire and Powercolor in stock

Which is better? I really don't follow hardware manufacturers that much (I've been out of the game for a while) so I don't know which is quality and which to avoid. I think I would have been happy with the Hawk cause it looked well built, but what can we do.

Someone told me about these miners buying this card, it's crazy that it might be a reason why these cards are mostly out of stock

I've used XFX several times when they made nvidia products. They didn't let me down and still work if swapped in the water loop.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I haven't paid any attention to card brands in years, is there really any difference aside from pack-ins and bonus games and whatnot? I was under the impression the particular garish brand sticker on the heatsinks was about it for differences. Is that not so?

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Psion posted:

I haven't paid any attention to card brands in years, is there really any difference aside from pack-ins and bonus games and whatnot? I was under the impression the particular garish brand sticker on the heatsinks was about it for differences. Is that not so?

For post-Greenlight program nVidia, true. All competition there is on value-add.

For AMD, it's a goddamned riot. Failure rates all over the place. Powercolor seems to be the worst. But the usual suspects keep it together, and those are Asus, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, going from memory. Look up failure rates for that French distributor that names and shames, one of the cards (I'm pretty damned sure it's Powercolor 7850s) had a failure rate of over 15%. :monocle:

I think Asus had the lowest overall failure rates? Which is weird given their motherboard rates being a bit higher than MSI or Gigabyte, as I recall, but then again different fabrication process, different product line, yadda yadda.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Psion posted:

Most companies offer custom coolers now that are different.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

eggyolk posted:

It's the first ARM based SOC that builds in a full desktop Kepler core. It's a smartphone chip with a whole Kepler based compute unit, so it supports everything a real desktop GPU does, instead of the much more limited featureset most mobile GPUs offer.

e: Notably it's got just about the same raw stats compute power wise as an Xbox360 class GPU, although most implementations will have slightly less memory bandwidth (Although vastly more actual memory). So you have quite good potential for running last gen quality console ports, on something like a Shield v2.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2014

get out of fyad
Mar 27, 2013
ignore

get out of fyad fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 15, 2014

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

get out of fyad posted:

What's a good affordable gpu set up for quad monitors? As someone who struggles with multi-tasking I've really become more productive since buying a second monitor, and displays are so cheap that I figure I may as well get two more. Do I need to get two GPUs, even if I only intend to use one screen for gaming? I have a price ceiling of $200 but I can spend $300 if it will really result in better performance.

:cmon: read the OP "Mod Note: This thread is for general GPU and videocard discussion, head over to the parts picking megathread if you just need help picking a card to buy."

get out of fyad
Mar 27, 2013
Sorry!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

It's the first ARM based SOC that builds in a full desktop Kepler core. It's a smartphone chip with a whole Kepler based compute unit, so it supports everything a real desktop GPU does, instead of the much more limited featureset most mobile GPUs offer.

Last I checked, the thing's >5W TDP which means you won't see them in phones. Maybe v2 on 20nm.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

For post-Greenlight program nVidia, true. All competition there is on value-add.

For AMD, it's a goddamned riot. Failure rates all over the place. Powercolor seems to be the worst. But the usual suspects keep it together, and those are Asus, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, going from memory. Look up failure rates for that French distributor that names and shames, one of the cards (I'm pretty damned sure it's Powercolor 7850s) had a failure rate of over 15%. :monocle:

I think Asus had the lowest overall failure rates? Which is weird given their motherboard rates being a bit higher than MSI or Gigabyte, as I recall, but then again different fabrication process, different product line, yadda yadda.

I thought it was Sapphire 7850s. Not PowerColor. Hm.

Edit: vv Ah, here we go.

Video Cards overall

PNY 0.94%
MSI 1.38%
Gainward 1.61%
Zotac 1.70%
ASUS 1.81%
Gigabyte 1.84%
Sapphire 3.15%

Specific video cards failure rate

- 12.67% Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
- 7.44% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC V2
- 7.41% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC V1
- 7.02% Sapphire HD 7950 With Boost (11196-16)
- 6.09% ASUS HD7750-DCSL-1GD5
- 5.82% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 V1
- 5.65% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 V2
- 5.30% Gainward GeForce GTX 670

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 15, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I thought it was Sapphire 7850s. Not PowerColor. Hm.

I'm going off of memory, I didn't look up the thread - SA's Robots.txt must be pretty wicked 'cause google doesn't index it very well, then again it's got a pay wall nearly all the time now (all the time?). It's probably worth looking up the actual figures from the French distributor if the poster cares further than "oh, hm, there is a difference, but the top brands seem good," I just didn't bother for my own purposes, y'know?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It was Sapphire with the outlier terribad 7850s.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Oh, rats, my memory was off on the bad one's 7850 (I at least remembered it was a 7850!). A mere > 1/10 failed, my bad.

Why don't we ever talk about PNY? They're apparently built like hammers, but it's all MSI and Asus and Gigabyte and XFX...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

Oh, rats, my memory was off on the bad one's 7850 (I at least remembered it was a 7850!). A mere > 1/10 failed, my bad.

Why don't we ever talk about PNY? They're apparently built like hammers, but it's all MSI and Asus and Gigabyte and XFX...

Speaking of Gigabyte, they have a new fancy pants 780ti with a base clock higher than the boost clock on the EVGA Superclocked ACX model - the Gigabyte card has a base clock of 1085 and a boost clock of 1150.

Given the whole greenlight thing, can we trust gigabyte enough to consider purchasing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Maybe that's why I had so many problems with the Sapphire HD7850 I had. I thought it was just crappy drivers causing the graphical glitches and stuttering.