Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In Kingdom Rush how on earth are you supposed to be able to beat Rotten Forest without dumping tons of gems into power ups? It's pretty hairy as it is but once Greenmuck spawns with roughly one billion heavy armor treants I just have no clue what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

Has anyone else had Pixel Dungeon runs where the monster with the rose/skull simply doesn't exist? I've had this happen multiple times.

The rose is only set to drop with a 1/8 chance after you've talked to the ghost, so it's pretty easy to wipe the entire floor of monsters before finding the ghost, then not have enough new ones spawn to make it worth waiting around. I'm guessing the fetid rat is a similar spawn.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I was playing Clash of Clans after seeing a commercial for it, but realized halfway through the not-attackable period that it wasn't what I really wanted in a game.

It made me realize I'd want a non-combat sort of city-building game with minimal pay-to-play mechanics (I don't mind them existing, I just don't want a game that relies on them). Would goons recommend any of these?

You could try Townsmen. It has that city building type game, it's only vaguely a button clicker like Farmville, overall not too bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scipiotik posted:

I've had the rose not show up for a long time on a level. Definitely after I'd killed the initial wave of monsters.

Yeah, it can be a bit hard to find. I've also been seeing weird things, like one time I found a Golden Key on a level and there wasn't a chest to open with it... also now you can get "empty" pedestal rooms.

I actually don't find the Huntress that hard, her Boomerang can actually do pretty great damage if you upgrade it (it's just silly that you can't "disenchant" it like you can with the Warrior's sword or the Wizard's wand though). If you get lucky and find a Well of Change, that nullifies her starting HP problem, and the increased chance of finding seeds/dewdrops can be amazing. She's the hardest class still but at least it's not like when she first came out and was inferior to the others in every way.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

precision posted:

Yeah, it can be a bit hard to find. I've also been seeing weird things, like one time I found a Golden Key on a level and there wasn't a chest to open with it.
The chest was there, you never found it. I had a level where all the rooms lined up on one side and made it look like it was the edge of the map, but one of the rooms had a hidden door on that side. The only reason I found it is I was searching every surface because I still had a key.

a
Sep 25, 2000
Pixel Dungeon talk: The armor kit you get from the King of Dwarves erases any glyph you had in your armor (RIP awesome plate armor with the metabolism glyph)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

a posted:

Pixel Dungeon talk: The armor kit you get from the King of Dwarves erases any glyph you had in your armor (RIP awesome plate armor with the metabolism glyph)

Yeah, I should have mentioned that when I found out! The description is wrong. Sigh. Also:

- Upgrading armor has a chance of removing the enchantment, just like weapons
- Using the new armorsmith NPC to upgrade an item can (will?) cause it to lose its enchantment

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Personally I am now terrified to use any Arcane Styluses I find if I'm actually wearing good armor. It seems like 1 of the 6 glyphs is beneficial, 1 is kind of neutral, and 4 are just horrible to play with. Not even chugging unidentified potions have odds that poor. Compared to weapon enchantments, which are almost all desirable, why would watabou think it a good idea to make the majority of armor glyphs a punishment? Oh well, at least styluses always sell for 100 gold.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Xenin posted:

Personally I am now terrified to use any Arcane Styluses I find if I'm actually wearing good armor. It seems like 1 of the 6 glyphs is beneficial, 1 is kind of neutral, and 4 are just horrible to play with. Not even chugging unidentified potions have odds that poor. Compared to weapon enchantments, which are almost all desirable, why would watabou think it a good idea to make the majority of armor glyphs a punishment? Oh well, at least styluses always sell for 100 gold.

I'd been using glyphs because I figured they must be beneficial in some way, but I wouldn't apply one until I had 3+ so I could apply another if I got affection or something.

I'll stick to just selling them from now on, because gently caress that.

Also, the rogue is my favorite character, now that I can make him an assassin.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Pixel Dungeon really needs a thread.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Xenin posted:

Wow. I actually went and looked this up, having only played a few floors of Pixel Dungeon but having played a lot of Nethack and ADOM. From everything you've said, glyphs seem like a curse/corruption effect, not an enchantment. Even the ones that aren't wholly awful can have serious negative effects, including instadeath, so it's kinda odd when weapon enchants are all positive stuff. I also wonder if upgrading your armor removes glyphs by design, since they don't seem to be beneficial by nature.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

Pixel Dungeon really needs a thread.

Honestly I never played past the first level because it just seemed like another rogue like with very little depth. After seeing all the talk here I think I need to give it a second glance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the point of the glyphs is that they are for occasional armour, that you put on to fight, e.g. a boss or something. Even something like Affection is handy if the boss has only melee attacks while you have a wand or projectile weapon.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Did kings bounty or elven legacy or something like that make an android game last month? Has anyone tried that? Is it good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

m.hache posted:

Honestly I never played past the first level because it just seemed like another rogue like with very little depth. After seeing all the talk here I think I need to give it a second glance.

It has come a long way and just keeps getting more complex. It's at the point where it really does need a thread.

Phenotype posted:

Wow. I actually went and looked this up, having only played a few floors of Pixel Dungeon but having played a lot of Nethack and ADOM. From everything you've said, glyphs seem like a curse/corruption effect, not an enchantment. Even the ones that aren't wholly awful can have serious negative effects, including instadeath, so it's kinda odd when weapon enchants are all positive stuff. I also wonder if upgrading your armor removes glyphs by design, since they don't seem to be beneficial by nature.

Eh? Bounce and Multiplicity are very useful, Potential is not terrible unless you're down to a few HP (at which point you're probably boned anyhow), Metabolism is quite useful. The probabilities for Affection and Anti-Entropy must be really low, because I've never even seen them once.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Philosopher King posted:

Did kings bounty or elven legacy or something like that make an android game last month? Has anyone tried that? Is it good?
King's Bounty is alright. If you're willing to tolerate the usual social gaming pay-to-play-or-wait-like-a-muppet business model, it's quite good. If you played the original game (or any games in Heroes of Might in Magic series for that matter) primarily for battles, you should definitely give it a go. I'm not sure about the last month, though. It's been around for a while.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

precision posted:

Eh? Bounce and Multiplicity are very useful, Potential is not terrible unless you're down to a few HP (at which point you're probably boned anyhow), Metabolism is quite useful. The probabilities for Affection and Anti-Entropy must be really low, because I've never even seen them once.
The first three glyphs that I got were Anti-Entropy. They all have an equal chance. The only time I got Multiplicity I died the first time I was hit and received the "Death by Glyph" badge. Anti-Entropy isn't that bad since you just take a few points of fire damage and it freezes them so you get a free attack or you can run away. It's definitely way better than Potential, as that one always seems to damage you more than the enemy.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

precision posted:

It has come a long way and just keeps getting more complex. It's at the point where it really does need a thread.

Bounce (white glowing)
Causes enemies to be randomly pushed back after hitting you.

=> huge waste of time

Affection (pink glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that both the player and the enemy receive the status charmed.

=> waste of time because they block the way, also at some point the effect goes away and you get hit

Anti-entropy (pale blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance the player will be illuminated and catch fire, and the enemy will be frozen.

=> lol

Multiplicity (beige glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a mirror image will appear. This effect causes damage to the player, and/or has a chance to kill the player. (resulting in a death by Multiplicity Glyph and award (or endorsement) of the badge - Death by Glyph)

=> getting better all the time - not

Potential (blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a lightning-style blast will hit the enemy which attacked the player. This also damages the player, and is another way to obtain the 'Death by Glyph' badge.

=> what is this poo poo

Metabolism (red glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that the player will be partially healed, but the player also becomes hungry faster.

=> oh great, as if starvation wasn't a big enough problem already

They're all terrible and now that I've actually seen the list there's no loving way I'll ever use that infernal stylus again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

uXs posted:

Bounce (white glowing)

=> huge waste of time

Affection (pink glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that both the player and the enemy receive the status charmed.

=> waste of time because they block the way, also at some point the effect goes away and you get hit

Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance the player will be illuminated and catch fire, and the enemy will be frozen.

=> lol

Multiplicity (beige glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a mirror image will appear. This effect causes damage to the player, and/or has a chance to kill the player. (resulting in a death by Multiplicity Glyph and award (or endorsement) of the badge - Death by Glyph)

=> getting better all the time - not

Potential (blue glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance a lightning-style blast will hit the enemy which attacked the player. This also damages the player, and is another way to obtain the 'Death by Glyph' badge.

=> what is this poo poo

Metabolism (red glowing)
Whenever the player is hit, there is a chance that the player will be partially healed, but the player also becomes hungry faster.

They're all terrible and now that I've actually seen the list there's no loving way I'll ever use that infernal stylus again.

Like I said, you don't have to wear the glyphed up armour all the time. From time to time they will come up handy.
Affection (pink glowing) -> Means melee creatures can't hurt you. Use a wand/seed/projectile weapon. Equip when you go into a room with a lone strong melee attacker.
Anti-entropy (pale blue glowing) -> Good boss killer armour. Fire damage is generally much less than a boss's damage output. Generally a dramatic damage reduction.
Metabolism (red glowing) -> Good for fighting generally. Do not wear when you aren't facing a fight vs a lot of low damage enemies.

I don't know enough about the others.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

uXs posted:

Bounce (white glowing)

=> huge waste of time

Erm, not if you have missile weapons, wands, a need to retreat, a seed to plant (and then retreat). I mean seriously, "huge waste of time" is huge hyperbole.

quote:

=> lol

Being on fire is not very dangerous unless you're very low level, though it can cost you scrolls if you don't have a Scroll Case. The advantage of freezing enemies is huge, especially later in the game.

quote:

Metabolism (red glowing)

Starvation should not remotely be a problem if you're playing smart. Don't eat unless you're both starving and down to about half HP. Starvation only causes you to lose 1 HP every so often. The healing by Metabolism offsets this. Dewdrops offset this. Potions of Healing offset this. Seriously you should never be seriously concerned about food unless you're doing a ton of pointless backtracking or hanging out too long on a level.

quote:

It sounds to me like your issue might be that you're using the stylus immediately on whatever you happen to have equipped. Don't do that. Save it for later when the downsides of the "bad" enchantments are negligible (Potential never seems to do more than 1-2 damage to me, which shouldn't matter at all to a level 5+ character).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'll make a separate thread for Pixel Dungeon tonight. I'm working on a draft right now.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Here's a draft. Does anyone care to critique the content and/or make a few simple graphics for it? I could but I'm not amazingly talented when it comes to image stuff. Plus, half the graphics on the PD wiki are blocked at work.

http://pastebin.com/ARG7d2QY

Also, still thinking of a title.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Here's a draft. Does anyone care to critique the content and/or make a few simple graphics for it? I could but I'm not amazingly talented when it comes to image stuff. Plus, half the graphics on the PD wiki are blocked at work.

You can see what's in the crystal chests (you called this "Picking from multiple golden chests") by looking at them with the ? button. There's no need to stand on them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^ :argh:

PD is based more on NetHack than Crawl; or at least, it's more similar to NetHack (it even has the same end goal - retrieve the Amulet of Yendor).

Be more specific about which potions are guaranteed for which rooms (Levitate for Trap Rooms, Invisibility for Piranhas, Liquid Flame for barricaded doors)

Is Upgrade really the most common scroll? I thought it was Identify.

Spears don't actually suck, they're not the best weapons but they're better than any classes starting weapon.

When there are two Golden Chests, you just have to Examine them to see what's inside (unless this has been changed in a recent version?)

I disagree that you "have to" farm Healing Potions, I always find enough naturally once I get past Goo.

Other than that, looks good.

As for a title, how about "Pixel Dungeon: Tap tap tappin' on Yeh-ehn-dooooor..." OK, so it's cheezy.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I've been handling chests all wrong! Doesn't seem like much of a secret any more, so I'll unspoil that.

precision posted:

edit: ^ :argh:

PD is based more on NetHack than Crawl; or at least, it's more similar to NetHack (it even has the same end goal - retrieve the Amulet of Yendor).

Be more specific about which potions are guaranteed for which rooms (Levitate for Trap Rooms, Invisibility for Piranhas, Liquid Flame for barricaded doors)

Is Upgrade really the most common scroll? I thought it was Identify.

Spears don't actually suck, they're not the best weapons but they're better than any classes starting weapon.

When there are two Golden Chests, you just have to Examine them to see what's inside (unless this has been changed in a recent version?)

I disagree that you "have to" farm Healing Potions, I always find enough naturally once I get past Goo.

Other than that, looks good.

As for a title, how about "Pixel Dungeon: Tap tap tappin' on Yeh-ehn-dooooor..." OK, so it's cheezy.

I think in terms of scrolls you find on the ground or in chests, upgrade is the most common. Once you get to the second biome this sort of changes because the gnoll shamans can't drop scrolls of upgrade.

Actually, I was wrong, it's inspired by Brogue, according to the wiki, which was inspired by DCSS, and probably all the way up the chain to NetHack. I haven't played much of any of those, so if anyone else can say with any confidence how they compare beyond what you wrote, I'll use that, else I'll write something similar to what you wrote.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Actually, I was wrong, it's inspired by Brogue, according to the wiki, which was inspired by DCSS, and probably all the way up the chain to NetHack.
The top of the chain is Rogue, which is why they're called roguelikes. Pixel Dungeon isn't like NetHack at all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that's kind of like putting Kingdom of Loathing in the beginning ancestry for WoW.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pixel Dungeon: You don't play until you win. You play until you die. *

*not original but I forget the source.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The top of the chain is Rogue, which is why they're called roguelikes. Pixel Dungeon isn't like NetHack at all.

This is probably a silly argument but "it's not like NetHack at all" is pretty misleading. I'm assuming what you meant is that NetHack and Pixel Dungeon both have things in them that are directly taken from Rogue, which I guess is a better way of saying what I was originally saying. :shobon:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

This is probably a silly argument but "it's not like NetHack at all" is pretty misleading. I'm assuming what you meant is that NetHack and Pixel Dungeon both have things in them that are directly taken from Rogue, which I guess is a better way of saying what I was originally saying. :shobon:
IT's an argument you don't want to start, because NetHack went FAR afield from the rest of the roguelike community well over 20 years ago, and roguelike fans are pretty serious, like Fallout fans but with less canon to whinge about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

IT's an argument you don't want to start, because NetHack went FAR afield from the rest of the roguelike community well over 20 years ago, and roguelike fans are pretty serious, like Fallout fans but with less canon to whinge about.

True.

(The weirdest thing about this phenomenon is that I've actually been playing roguelikes for 20 years, longer than most of the people who get really mad about what "is" and "isn't" a roguelike :ssh: )

I'm trying to find it again but can't remember the name, but basically there's a new Android version of NetHack that for some reason isn't actually called "NetHack X" or whatever, even though the description literally says "This is NetHack with an improved Android interface and different graphical style". It looked like a pretty good effort, too, but the Play store is letting me down.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

precision posted:

(The weirdest thing about this phenomenon is that I've actually been playing roguelikes for 20 years, longer than most of the people who get really mad about what "is" and "isn't" a roguelike :ssh: )

Wanna feel :corsair:? Nethack had already been out for 7 years by then. Rogue is 34 years old.

E: uh, was it this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbd.NetHack

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 14, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

precision posted:

I picked this one. Thread here!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Splizwarf posted:

Wanna feel :corsair:? Nethack had already been out for 7 years by then. Rogue is 34 years old.

E: uh, was it this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbd.NetHack

Yeah, I remember seeing Rogue in Radio Shack when I was like, 6.

And no, I found the one I was thinking of:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bokay.whackemalpha

It's definitely rough at the moment, but shows pretty good potential for keyboardless-NetHacking.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just spent the last 4 hours playing Persona 3 Portable on my 1st gen Nexus 7 on the PPSSPP emulator. So far I've been pretty impressed with it (the emulator and the game). Most older games run really well and the newer ones are absolutely playable after a bit of fiddling with the settings.

Everything runs flawlessly on the PC version as well. If you have the storage space it's definitely worth checking out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell, P3P runs almost flawlessly on my ancient GS2. PPSSPP is a gem.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Just a heads up. Kingsbounty got rid of the stamina system which means you can play all day long without cooldowns or spending money. I've been playing it for about a day and it seems to be a decent game now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Final Fantasy VI is out on the Play Store ($16) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFVI

Doesn't work if you use Xposed or whatever.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 15, 2014

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Yep, these Final Fantasy ports still look like poo poo. Early screens looked pretty bad, but holy god man, that UI is atrocious.

Does someone approve this artwork and actually go "Yeah that's shippable!" or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Machine posted:

Yep, these Final Fantasy ports still look like poo poo. Early screens looked pretty bad, but holy god man, that UI is atrocious.

Does someone approve this artwork and actually go "Yeah that's shippable!" or what?

Someone? There were meetings full of people that all agreed on this.

• Locked thread