Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If you think you have a bad batch of Agrellan Earth you should try using a lot of the stuff. I don't think it's supposed to take as much as I'm using but I slathered a large base with it (an oval WH40k base) and while it took like half the pot I think the effect is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lethemonster posted:

Anyone got any ideas on painting up the worlds softest rocks? I just can't get it tot look right :(

I'd try textured paints, and maybe put some flock and lichen on it for a more organic look. Or maybe rough up the surfaces with wood filler putty and/or liquitex resin sand?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

Painting Kaladrax's base is painful. The rocks are all sculpted to be super soft and half arsed. Some of the rocks are just big lumps of putty that they pushed the end of a paintbrush into so it looks like a golfball.

Anyone got any ideas on painting up the worlds softest rocks? I just can't get it tot look right :(

Honestly, I'm sure pretty much whatever you do is going to look better than all my stuff so just keep being cool

And post pics =)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zhent posted:

Alright, matte varnish - I tried the Minitaire stuff and it has dried glossy. I shook the poo poo out of it and used my paint stirrer, so it was definitely mixed up enough. I'm going to try and airbrush on some Vallejo matte varnish tonight, but I think my experiment in varnishing has come to an end. It's not worth the potential disaster, and these glossy models aren't really usable the way they are now either - I've got to get them back to at least some sort of satin finish.

Like everybody is saying get testers dullcote and spray it out of your airbrush- profit. Just wear a respirator because that poo poo will probably mutate your unborn children and or kill you.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I didn't know varnishing was this hard.

I just spray the poo poo out of my doods and it always comes out nice (using army painters no-shine).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is there an alternative to using slate to get rocks like on this base?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ijyt posted:

Is there an alternative to using slate to get rocks like on this base?

Tree bark. Base coat black, dry brush up to the color you want.

http://fantasygames.com.pl/blog/snowy-base-with-tree-bark/

http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_base_rock01.php

Though you may want to buy some coarse mulch or something like that rather than deal with potentially damp tree bark.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Minitaire Matte skirts the line between slightly satin and full blown gloss depending on how heavy you put it on apparently. Testors "rattlecan" Dullcote is the only option (from all my experience) if you want a pure matte, zero gloss what so ever matte varnish. Everything else I've tried has been closer to satin finish, which isn't half bad most of the time; I still need to try Army Painter Matte though. Rattlecan Dullcote starts to get really expensive so I've been settling for slightly satin finishes. Testors also makes Dullcote Lacquer which comes in a rectangular glass jar and is airbrush ready. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but everything I've read has said it's pretty good although a little on the satin side but apparently you can fix that by siphoning out some of the "clear" fluid that accumulates at the top of the jar.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 13, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Tree bark. Base coat black, dry brush up to the color you want.

http://fantasygames.com.pl/blog/snowy-base-with-tree-bark/

http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_base_rock01.php

Though you may want to buy some coarse mulch or something like that rather than deal with potentially damp tree bark.

Also, just remembered that Basius pads are a thing, so I'll probably pick up this as well. Thanks for the bark idea, wouldn't have thought it'd look that good. Looks like I need to buy some 2-part epoxy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Liquitex matte varnish shot through an airbrush is as matte as Testors rattlecan, but it can sometimes be TOO matte, and can cloud or wash out colors. The solution I have found is to cut it with Liquitex Satin varnish, about 50/50 or leaning heavier to the satin. Works well to cut 100% of the shine without looking hazy or washed out.

It's not as good as Testors but if rattlecan varnish isn't an option (as it sort of isn't for me anymore) that is the next best thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can't speak for airbrush having never tried it, but brushing on Liquitex matte works well for me on simple or shallow surfaces; the problem is that if there's any sort of deep crevice detail you really have to be on top of your game making sure it doesn't collect in the cracks before it dries, or it will dry a nearly opaque cloudy gray. I might try cutting it with the satin like you say, see if that helps.

Spray dullcote is still the best but honestly if you're rattlecanning it it gets to be pretty expensive for those tiny hobby boutique cans, so I've been steadily searching for a second solution for stuff like non-character models, or for when I can't spray period (which has been the case recently).

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Liquitex matte varnish shot through an airbrush is as matte as Testors rattlecan, but it can sometimes be TOO matte, and can cloud or wash out colors. The solution I have found is to cut it with Liquitex Satin varnish, about 50/50 or leaning heavier to the satin. Works well to cut 100% of the shine without looking hazy or washed out.

It's not as good as Testors but if rattlecan varnish isn't an option (as it sort of isn't for me anymore) that is the next best thing.

Is this the Liquitex Matte Varnish that has the Orange/Red label? Having a source of inexpensive matte varnish for airbrushing would be really nice (I live pretty close to an Art Supply Warehouse).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zhent posted:

Do they sell a non-spraycan version of the same thing? I don't have a space outside that I can spray anything, but I do have an airbrush. Otherwise I am limited to brushing it on.

It's called Testors CreateFX Flat. I tend to brush it on with cheap watercolor brushes or a Qtip.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's called Testors CreateFX Flat. I tend to brush it on with cheap watercolor brushes or a Qtip.

How well does the Qtip work? By that I mean, do you have problems with the cotton fibers coming off and becoming part of the varnish layer? Because that's what I'd be terrified of if I did that.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly, I'm sure pretty much whatever you do is going to look better than all my stuff so just keep being cool

And post pics =)

I spent the afternoon casting tiny rocks in resin and sculpting them on with milliput to fill gaps, and using different artists gels to texture everything. It nows looks lovely.

My friend has asked me to paint his up when I've finished on yours.

Paying me £400 to start with. Woo!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pacheeco posted:

Is this the Liquitex Matte Varnish that has the Orange/Red label? Having a source of inexpensive matte varnish for airbrushing would be really nice (I live pretty close to an Art Supply Warehouse).

Yep, orange label.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pacheeco posted:

Also available via amazon prime, I see.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Forgot to crosspost my oaths to this thread:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JerryLee posted:

How well does the Qtip work? By that I mean, do you have problems with the cotton fibers coming off and becoming part of the varnish layer? Because that's what I'd be terrified of if I did that.

I tend to use those really cheap ones that are store brand or whatever. They are really compact and I've never noticed a fiber getting stuck in it but I am pretty careful when I'm doing it so your mileage may vary. I tend to use the Q Tip when I'm doing speed painting on commission for covering Army Painter in areas where some things cant be varnished (for instance on a Knight or something where his armor needs to remain shiny).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

What's the recommended distance so I can remember to bring with me a tape measurer next time I try? :v:

Says on the can. I wouldn't count on different brands to be consistent, so do what the manufacturer recommends.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not only is the paint phenomenal, look at the poses the sculptor used. Not a power squatting constipation poo poo to be seen! Love the guy on horseback ducking under his shield.

Yeah. My wife is an artist (like, she has an MFA, so like for reals an artist) and she was pretty blown away by what we saw. My photos don't really do them justice: for one thing, I've blown them up to much bigger than life-size, so the flaws are more visible. But the lifelike poses are part of what we liked about them.

Lethemonster posted:

I spent the afternoon casting tiny rocks in resin and sculpting them on with milliput to fill gaps, and using different artists gels to texture everything. It nows looks lovely.

You know about the whole "kaladrax is 50% larger than he's supposed to be" thing, right? I bet that's part of why the rocks on the base don't look as good: they were supposed to be smaller.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Those figures are pretty impressive for stuff found in the US but not really for things you can see in Europe, especially Spain.
Look up painters like Jesus Gamarra, Rodrigo Hernandez Chacon, Mike Blank and Raul Latorre.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I was just reading a discussion of American vs. European styles of high-level mini painting. Apparently Americans are known more for stylized painting with bright colors, technically very sound blending techniques, darklining, and NMM, while Euro pros are known for dark and gritty realistic color schemes, crazy-rear end light/shadow mastery, realistic true metallics, and over the top elaborate bases/plinths. I hadn't really thought about how there are different schools like that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JoshTheStampede posted:

I was just reading a discussion of American vs. European styles of high-level mini painting. Apparently Americans are known more for stylized painting with bright colors, technically very sound blending techniques, darklining, and NMM, while Euro pros are known for dark and gritty realistic color schemes, crazy-rear end light/shadow mastery, realistic true metallics, and over the top elaborate bases/plinths. I hadn't really thought about how there are different schools like that.

Oh god yes, just go compare, say, the Italian Golden Demon to the American one. Especially in the Fantasy category.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I was just reading a discussion of American vs. European styles of high-level mini painting.

Link us to it?

VVV: Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 14, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

Link us to it?

It was a post on Meg Maples' blog. She's Privateer Press' studio painter.

http://arcanepaintworks.blogspot.com/2013/10/styles-discussion.html?m=1

The guy she mentions as the Euro style is the dude that runs massive voodoo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Spray dullcote is still the best but honestly if you're rattlecanning it it gets to be pretty expensive for those tiny hobby boutique cans, so I've been steadily searching for a second solution for stuff like non-character models, or for when I can't spray period (which has been the case recently).

Again, if you have an airbrush just get this. It will change your life.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've been using the Liquitex matte for about a year now through an airbrush and it's good stuff. The big-rear end 32oz bottle will last you a lifetime, and is probably best from an economical standpoint if you're like me and paint a lot of tiny plastic men.

Depending on the model, I typically go gloss> gloss (if metal; plastic, only one coat)> matte> satin. The reason I do matte over the gloss is that I've found that the satin doesn't kill the shine very well at all (surprise surprise), but I like the faint sheen that the satin gives off. It doesn't take very long, and usually I can drop the satin coat on after 15-30 minutes.

I did try the 50/50 mix that JoshtheStampede suggested, but I didn't like the look of it at the time. Might need to revisit it though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For the record, I don't have an airbrush. Life would be a lot simpler in some ways if I did :smith: (though more complicated in others)

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

For where that isn't available, I believe Model Master Flat Clear Acryl is the same thing. I've used it and it's great.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

My Haruspex so far. Hopefully I finish it today but so far it's been a lot more fun to paint than something like a Rhino.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You know about the whole "kaladrax is 50% larger than he's supposed to be" thing, right? I bet that's part of why the rocks on the base don't look as good: they were supposed to be smaller.

Yes I do, but even scaled down the base would look the same. They would still be huge and still look like random lumps with a couple of dents in.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Double posting from the warmachine thread as you guys might be the more knowledgeable group:

Gatormen just showed up in the mail. I have an airbrush ready to go, but want to know what my options are for painting some rad-rear end Gatorboys. 

Tomorrow's payday so I plan on buying a couple things of paint, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into. I haven't done a crazy amount of airbrushing so if there's a particular technique that would work for them then I'm open for suggestions. I've been looking at secret weapon washes with some envy, but I'm not entirely sure if I can go anywhere with it.

Also, want to fancy-base these guys. I see that secret weapon has some bog-type bases that I can try out water effect with. Are there any other brands, and it's there anywhere in the Calgary area that might carry them?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

w00tmonger posted:

Gatormen just showed up in the mail. I have an airbrush ready to go, but want to know what my options are for painting some rad-rear end Gatorboys. 

I love bookmarks:
http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/06/08/the-impossible-road-to-etc-25-pt-milestone/#more-2515

preview of results:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any Tau people here successfully magnetise their Broadsides? I've tried magnetising within the roof of the arm shoulder sockets but I just can't get a good enough bond, so the magnets keep slipping it out.

I recall seeing a conversion where the missile arm got stuck on to the rail rifle body, but I can't find the tutorial for the life of me.

Nevermind, I'll just build them as rifles. Don't trust myself to cut up something that cost £30.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 14, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

My friend has asked me to paint his up when I've finished on yours.

Paying me £400 to start with. Woo!

Welp I'm glad I got in first :P

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Those are looking drat good

Yolocaust Denier
Oct 23, 2013

by Pipski

ijyt posted:

Any Tau people here successfully magnetise their Broadsides? I've tried magnetising within the roof of the arm shoulder sockets but I just can't get a good enough bond, so the magnets keep slipping it out.

I recall seeing a conversion where the missile arm got stuck on to the rail rifle body, but I can't find the tutorial for the life of me.

Yup I did one:

Okay red dots are where the magnets are. You have to add pins into the shoulders (with corresponding holes in the arms) or you will get droopage. I would not drop that off a table but I could waggle it up and down fairly hard with minimal movement.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Welp I'm glad I got in first :P

;-*

Jokes on you, I'm painting Kaladrax up to look like a clown.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm interested in painting some Hordes trollbloods but am having trouble finding a decent tutorial online. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yolocaust Denier posted:

Yup I did one:

Okay red dots are where the magnets are. You have to add pins into the shoulders (with corresponding holes in the arms) or you will get droopage. I would not drop that off a table but I could waggle it up and down fairly hard with minimal movement.

TIL that Tau look hot in urban camo colours. drat, that's really really rather nice. Good clean job :)

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm interested in painting some Hordes trollbloods but am having trouble finding a decent tutorial online. Any suggestions?

Here's a little something to get you started:

http://archive.brushthralls.com/model-walkthroughs/faction-box-in-10-days-trollblood.html

Have a browse through each day (they do the faction starter over the course of 10 days)

I used their skin recipe and it looks really nice. I'm not too keen on the way they did the leather sections though, couldn't quite get it to work for me so I just ended up going for darker grey'ish browns.

• Locked thread