Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I've been doing pug NY raids, and finally got to leech heal it with augments.

:dance:

Also, I won the Astral Fuse with a 75. I take back anything and everything I've said, the game can only get worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

I've been doing pug NY raids, and finally got to leech heal it with augments.

:dance:

Also, I won the Astral Fuse with a 75. I take back anything and everything I've said, the game can only get worse now.

I'm pretty sure you're the Loot Fairy's stepkid or something, Cheston.

I need to do raids for Subway tokens but doing it with random pubbies means waiting for hours in Argatha and nothing happening, mostly.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zhaan posted:

I'm pretty sure you're the Loot Fairy's stepkid or something, Cheston.

I need to do raids for Subway tokens but doing it with random pubbies means waiting for hours in Argatha and nothing happening, mostly.

This one was full when I joined, but I'll message you on Steam if I see one. I recommend finding raids by autorunning up against a wall to avoid the AFK timer, and then tabbing in once in awhile.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

This one was full when I joined, but I'll message you on Steam if I see one. I recommend finding raids by autorunning up against a wall to avoid the AFK timer, and then tabbing in once in awhile.

My solution to the afk timer was to make a looping script that would /smile a couple times a second in agartha proper. Yes, /smile is still hilarious.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Purple Signets of Violence/Laceration have dropped to 80m for now, if any of you got rich and were biding time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Speaking of rich...Cheston am I still owed pax from one of those gold augment drops or were those two purple signets supposed to make up for that one?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Speaking of rich...Cheston am I still owed pax from one of those gold augment drops

Nope, it all evened out.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
If I wanted to play this game solely for the story etc, how necessary is it that I group up at all? Are the group-based quests compulsory or can I solo all the way through?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The latter. You may need to group for one or two quests in the final zone but you should be fine solo almost 100% of the time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

If I wanted to play this game solely for the story etc, how necessary is it that I group up at all? Are the group-based quests compulsory or can I solo all the way through?

You can pretty much solo your way through the entire personal story, although the dungeons elaborate on those stories so they're probably worth trying to find groups for.

I mostly soloed though, besides that and a few times when the stars aligned and I was on at the same time as my friends. I love this game, but I'd say that my experience of it is a lot more like other one-player RPGs I've played over the years than MMOs.

(Which is also why I'm also barely around when there's no new content, I guess)

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
I missed the Steam sale for this game, because I just started looking into it now. However, it looks like a lot of fun, and the DLC preview videos on Youtube look great. In fact, some of the voice acting seems to be quite good for an MMO. However, there are two versions I can buy on steam: The regular version and the "massive" version which includes some of the DLC. How much is each individual DLC? Is it worth it to buy the massive version?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Each DLC is $7-$10 depending on when it came out. There are four, and the game gives you enough Funcom Funbux for free to buy one of them. Depending on the price difference I would probably just buy the cheaper version and only get the DLCs that are really entertaining or have proper gameplay benefits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Each DLC is $7-$10 depending on when it came out. There are four, and the game gives you enough Funcom Funbux for free to buy one of them. Depending on the price difference I would probably just buy the cheaper version and only get the DLCs that are really entertaining or have proper gameplay benefits.

It should be noted the only one that doesn't have 'proper gameplay benefits' is issue 5, the Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn. Issues 6 and 7 both supply the same level of rewards as 5 (blue signet bags), with the added bonus of also giving an extra auxiliary weapon. Issue 8 gives more scenarios, which will triple your ability to gain Oreos of Initiation and augments in a day, but you might not like scenarios enough to be interested in that.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Basically what I was trying to get at is you'll probably want to buy 6&7, 5 is cool if you like more plot, and 8 is a thinly-veiled murder device designed to drive the playerbase to suicide through monotonous soul-crushing endgame grinding.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Brain In A Jar posted:

and 8 is a thinly-veiled murder device designed to drive the playerbase to suicide through monotonous soul-crushing endgame grinding.

I still say they're a drat sight better than NM dungeons.

Speaking of, just today I tanked Machine Tyrant for the first time. A quick question, how many of you that like him generally heal or tank? Because it seems like Machine Tyrant's extremely bad for the DPS (who have to worry about the CU bullshit, standing in the wrong place, doing enough DPS to win in the first place, and not killing yourself on the shield), but the healer and tank don't have nearly as much on their shoulders.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I still say they're a drat sight better than NM dungeons.
[quote]

You're still the most wrong about this. NM dungeons are far more enjoyable just get over yourself and stop using special snowflake builds.

[quote]
Speaking of, just today I tanked Machine Tyrant for the first time. A quick question, how many of you that like him generally heal or tank? Because it seems like Machine Tyrant's extremely bad for the DPS (who have to worry about the CU bullshit, standing in the wrong place, doing enough DPS to win in the first place, and not killing yourself on the shield), but the healer and tank don't have nearly as much on their shoulders.

Hate to burst your bubble here but as far as the regular mumble goons go me and Rhan do/did the majority of tanking so most of the people who like the fight DPS.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Hate to burst your bubble here but as far as the regular mumble goons go me and Rhan do/did the majority of tanking so most of the people who like the fight DPS.

Or leech heal with cleanup! (I did a PUG and they refused to go with only two Cleanups. I don't think they trusted me.)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

I've only done Machine Tyrant twice on nightmare but I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of some of the better designed encounters from other MMOs like World of Warcraft that are all down to player skill at avoiding and timing things correctly. You, Rhan and Zepho explaining things beforehand probably helped, too.

Cleretic, from what I remember you've posted previously you mainly run dungeons with pubbies so I imagine you're probably just running into people who've never done it before (or don't realise they need to cleanse regularly during the fight) which is why you don't like it much. I've only ever done it as DPS but since I normally run with AR/Shotgun in dungeons the cleanup requirement isn't really an issue and it seemed manageable enough once you understand the mechanics of the fight.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So, I decided to pick this up again and I was wondering if anyone has (or can link me to) a blood/elemental build? The ones I've been able to find are outdated, a lot of them citing the aidelon/blaze auto-crit combo. I don't care if it'd a high AP build, that's fine. I just want something I can comfortably solo and do normal dungeons with, thanks!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

So, I decided to pick this up again and I was wondering if anyone has (or can link me to) a blood/elemental build? The ones I've been able to find are outdated, a lot of them citing the aidelon/blaze auto-crit combo. I don't care if it'd a high AP build, that's fine. I just want something I can comfortably solo and do normal dungeons with, thanks!

I don't have a copy of the build, but from what I understand, the gist of Blood/Ele right now is Bloodline (builder), Finish the Movement (passive), Bloodshot (consumer), and Seal the Deal (elite passive). FtM makes Bloodline build two Blood resources instead of one, so you can do Bloodline/Bloodshot over and over again, and toss out Fire or Lightning Manifestation whenever you have resources. Seal the Deal makes Bloodshot do more damage half the time. And maybe use Blaze when you get Ele resources but already have a Manifestation up? I'm vague on the rest.

To fill this out, get Cannibalize (active), Bloodsport (or any other passive that'll keep an Affliction up on your target- afflictions improve Bloodshot), Lethality (passive), Twist the Knife (passive), aaaaaand whatever else you want. That should put out enough damage that you kill everything before it can bother you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a message saying I got free funbux after doing 100 missions, but I had to spend them quickly in the ingame store, but I loaded that up and there was nothing in my wallet.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

twistedmentat posted:

I got a message saying I got free funbux after doing 100 missions, but I had to spend them quickly in the ingame store, but I loaded that up and there was nothing in my wallet.
If it's the message I'm thinking of, I got confused by the wording too. I think they intend for the phrasing to mean "in a short amount of time, your free funbux will be available to you," but it comes off as "for a short time ONLY, your free funbux will be available to you."

Give it a few hours and they should be there, maybe?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, I remember it taking a bit.

Also, the free bonus funbux have a different name/icon than the normal funbux, even though they're worth the same amount, so look out for that.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, I remember it taking a bit.

Also, the free bonus funbux have a different name/icon than the normal funbux, even though they're worth the same amount, so look out for that.
Yeah, the "points" are actually the little F-coins, wasn't it? That threw me for awhile too while I tried to find something in the store listing prices in points.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah thats good. I cannot beleive I finally got a decent pistol drop, and then when i was experimenting with the crafting I accidentally destroyed it. Though after playing with the n00b pistols for another day, finally some new ones dropped.

I could put a little bit into all the weapon skills, but I think focusing on one early on will have more benefits. It seems like your combat damage has more to do with skills and abilities than the actual weapons.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I could put a little bit into all the weapon skills, but I think focusing on one early on will have more benefits. It seems like your combat damage has more to do with skills and abilities than the actual weapons.

Weapon skills indirectly increase your damage in the sub QL-10 game. As you increase your weapon skills, you reduce the chance that you will glance against equal and stronger baddies. It is suggested that you don't run down too many weapon paths early in the game. The exp gained in Maine is kinda meh, but in other zones you start bleeding AP and SP, so wait till then to go play with other weapons. Unless you have a build that can't do the content, then by all means get the skills and weapons you need to succeed.

The only two stats that directly increase your damage are Attack Rating (gear) and Weapon Power (weapon).

More abilities that indirectly increase your damage are hit rating (reduce glancing and evade), penetration (reduce block and increase the chance to land a penetrating hit [+50% damage]) and critical rating (reduce evade and increase the chance to land a critical hit).

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Quest and enemy scaling is weighted more on your talisman level than your weapon level, so you can pump weapon stats but you'll still have your targets appearing as being too hard for you.

Honestly the best way is to focus on keeping your talisman levels even with the content you're doing, find two weapons you like and roll with those for a bit.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The PvP aspect of this game is pretty brutal. I don't think I've lived long enough to get past the CC cleanser in anyplace besides Fusang, because I get oneshotted there.

But those purples :orks:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brain In A Jar posted:

Quest and enemy scaling is weighted more on your talisman level than your weapon level, so you can pump weapon stats but you'll still have your targets appearing as being too hard for you.

Honestly the best way is to focus on keeping your talisman levels even with the content you're doing, find two weapons you like and roll with those for a bit.

I currently have like 1 point in major and minor talismans, 2 points into both pistol, and I think 2 points into chaos damage, 1 in theory, and 1 in blades (felt I needed a melee weapon at first).

I am finding monsters in kingsmouth fairly hard. I died a lot trying to kill the Incubators because everything was so clustered so close, I couldn't pull without pulling at least one other monsters, and ones would wander into aggro range. The mobs in Veterans day and the Men in Black quests also kick my rear end. I admit, I wasn't following the missions, more like just grabbing what I came across, so I'm going back and doing them in more of an order.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

It's not going to hurt you much now, but don't put points into both lines on weapons. You only need one line to qualify for using a weapon of that level, and honestly in most cases the support lines are nice to haves, compared to the DPS lines. Pistol has an especially useless support line and I only filled it out after having literally nothing else to spend SP on.

Edit: Everything on the South side of Kingsmouth is more built for lower QL, the top half is designed to be edging into QL3. Also, you want to be moving a lot. Unlike other MMOs, you don't want to be just standing there eating hits, make sure you circle strafe and dodge around.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 14, 2014

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
This might be a bit of a tough request to fill, but are there weapons / abilities which fulfill a "need more bodies" playstyle? To put some context on that, I played city of heroes, and the warshade archetype. The particular build I had there made me strong if I was surrounded by lots if enemies, but I was weaker if there were only a single or a couple of enemies to attack. I realise that the games and such are totally different but if there was at least some way to mimic this, even partly then that would be super.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Innerguard posted:

This might be a bit of a tough request to fill, but are there weapons / abilities which fulfill a "need more bodies" playstyle? To put some context on that, I played city of heroes, and the warshade archetype. The particular build I had there made me strong if I was surrounded by lots if enemies, but I was weaker if there were only a single or a couple of enemies to attack. I realise that the games and such are totally different but if there was at least some way to mimic this, even partly then that would be super.

Blades/Chaos does exactly that. (Either one has a lot of stuff for crowds, but the combination's become especially popular since the release of Scenarios, which surround you with lots of enemies.) The key to it is a passive called Leeching Frenzy, which makes your Frenzy attacks (AOEs) give you a leech effect. Other important things are Karma (a Chaos AOE that causes attacking enemies to heal you for a percentage of your total health), and Clearing the Path (a Blades AOE that has a high chance of penetrating Afflicted targets, which can sync with a lot of stuff). You can also include Helter Skelter and Black Hole, both of which are Chaos actives that can impair large swathes of enemies.

I can send you a build if you message me in-game (same name), otherwise check out this post, which was for Nightmare Scenarios but scales pretty well with gear.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brain In A Jar posted:

It's not going to hurt you much now, but don't put points into both lines on weapons. You only need one line to qualify for using a weapon of that level, and honestly in most cases the support lines are nice to haves, compared to the DPS lines. Pistol has an especially useless support line and I only filled it out after having literally nothing else to spend SP on.

Edit: Everything on the South side of Kingsmouth is more built for lower QL, the top half is designed to be edging into QL3. Also, you want to be moving a lot. Unlike other MMOs, you don't want to be just standing there eating hits, make sure you circle strafe and dodge around.

Okay, I'll just keep putting SP into the dps track on the pistols. I saw on the wiki there is a pistols/elemental class thingy for Illuminati, and think maybe switching to elemental magic over the chaos. Though something tells me those don't come until much, much later.

What is QL? is that the rank you are with your secret society?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

What is QL? is that the rank you are with your secret society?

QL is short for Quality. Gear in the game goes from QL 0 (starting stuff, requires no skill point investment) to QL 10 (requires skill 9) to QL 10.5 (custom purple gear bought and upgraded with endgame dungeon currency). Purple QL 10+ gear requires skill 10.

It's a general shorthand for how much you've progressed in the game. Solomon Island will get you from QL 0 to QL 6, Egypt will get you to around QL8, and Transylvania will get you to QL10. The content after Transylvania has been balanced for QL10 blues, and Tokyo might be balanced for QL10 purples, judging by how many new/relatively easy ways to get them have been introduced.

You do also have a faction rank that's directly XP-derived, but people don't use it much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cheston posted:

QL is short for Quality. Gear in the game goes from QL 0 (starting stuff, requires no skill point investment) to QL 10 (requires skill 9) to QL 10.5 (custom purple gear bought and upgraded with endgame dungeon currency). Purple QL 10+ gear requires skill 10.

It's a general shorthand for how much you've progressed in the game. Solomon Island will get you from QL 0 to QL 6, Egypt will get you to around QL8, and Transylvania will get you to QL10. The content after Transylvania has been balanced for QL10 blues, and Tokyo might be balanced for QL10 purples, judging by how many new/relatively easy ways to get them have been introduced.

You do also have a faction rank that's directly XP-derived, but people don't use it much.

Ah Okay. I don't think I've come across any gear that needed more than 1 point in the tree, line...what ever, that it uses. I'll keep to the south side until I clear everything out.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
I'm not treating this game like an MMO at all, and I'm having an amazing time. How are the MMO elements as you progress through the game? I haven't interacted with other players too much in Kingsmouth, but I don't really care at all, as the atmosphere and story is incredibly immersive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If I want to buy new clothes to play Illuminati dress up, I can just return to New York and go shopping? Shooting zombies as the agent of a secret society but looking like an english grad student isn't cutting it anymore.

Also, it says to use the in game web browser to do resaerch, but am i missing something in it, its just giving me a web browser that just searches the forums and ARG for the game. Nothing really that helpful.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
AFAIK the only cloth retailer, Pangaea, is in London. Also if you play through Steam, just shift-tab and use Steam's browser. It's not good compared to a real browser but it's still many times better than the in-game browser.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

G Prestige posted:

I'm not treating this game like an MMO at all, and I'm having an amazing time. How are the MMO elements as you progress through the game? I haven't interacted with other players too much in Kingsmouth, but I don't really care at all, as the atmosphere and story is incredibly immersive.
You can absolutely play it as a single player game until you reach endgame content, though it's worth trying to find a group to do the dungeons on Normal difficulty at least once because the lore and stuff adds to the story.

twistedmentat posted:

If I want to buy new clothes to play Illuminati dress up, I can just return to New York and go shopping? Shooting zombies as the agent of a secret society but looking like an english grad student isn't cutting it anymore.
There are multiple clothing clothing stores in London.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, it says to use the in game web browser to do resaerch, but am i missing something in it, its just giving me a web browser that just searches the forums and ARG for the game. Nothing really that helpful.
If you press "b" you should get a browser window which you can then type whatever you like into the address bar. Then you can just google for answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zephonith posted:

You can absolutely play it as a single player game until you reach endgame content, though it's worth trying to find a group to do the dungeons on Normal difficulty at least once because the lore and stuff adds to the story.

There are multiple clothing clothing stores in London.

If you press "b" you should get a browser window which you can then type whatever you like into the address bar. Then you can just google for answers.

Ah so not new york, just London. I was wondering why I wasn't finding anything. I figured you'd have to click on "search the secret world" to get game related content. but I could just look at game wiki instead.

• Locked thread