Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Prices are already back to normal. That didn't take long! Shame they put them back, I might actually have jumped on some of those for those prices while I would never buy them otherwise. Guess Nintendo hates money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Guess Nintendo hates money?
Why would a company love selling their product in what was CLEARLY not any sort of a promotion at 1/4 of the price they know it sells at anyways?

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Managed to snag Animal Crossing, but haven't got the download code yet. Fingers crossed!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I grabbed the Lego game ! A good deal I think, unless its crap. I have no idea.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Still no download code... Is this normal?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Probably. I suspect the boss yelled "STOP EVERYTHING" and are now backpedaling hard.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

a_big_dog posted:

Still no download code... Is this normal?

I bought Pokemon Y from GAME (a UK retailer) a few days ago. The download code took just over a day to arrive. I investigated the FAQ and they said they have to "authorise" a code. I wonder if it is the same for the e-shop ? I haven't received a key yet for the Lego game either.

Edit : This is the response from GAME regarding download codes

How long will my download take to arrive?

Placing an order for a download game or product is largely the same as ordering anything else from us - add the game(s) to your basket and check out as normal. You should then receive an email featuring your download code. please refer to our 'How To Download' guides for PC, Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Network for details on what to do once you have received your email.
Please be aware that download orders, like any other orders, are subject to authorisation checks, so there may be a delay in sending your activation email.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
New Club Nintendo rewards are up:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Just got my Animal Crossing code! Yissss.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

1080 snowboarding!!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So I assume despite being listed as WiiU it's just a Wii Shop code, right?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How is the game Edge?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't know the details for this promotion but F Zero is out for the Wii U.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

yep. nintendo back to their old mean tricks.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

romanowski posted:

yep. nintendo back to their old mean tricks.

Lol, Nintendo pretending 1080 Snowboarding is a Wii U VC game and the actual Wii U game given out is another .30 cent game from the sale. (of course.)

I bet every game that was in the .30 cent promotion ends up being given away this year. Someone should show them how Sony gives away games.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

I bet every game that was in the .30 cent promotion ends up being given away this year.

Wouldn't doubt it. Still a good game though and should be picked up if you haven't got it for some reason. Although it pales in comparison to F-Zero X.

How are Game & Watch and Spin six?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

1080 looks so good on the gamepad. I wish I could touch it :(

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I never played 1080 when it was new. Is there any non-nostalgic value to grabbing it?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

AdmiralViscen posted:

How is the game Edge?

I have it on my 3DS. It's not exactly mentally taxing, the game is more or less speed running with cubes. It does suffer from slow downs once in a while if there's a lot of action going on, but this only happens in a few levels.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I never played 1080 when it was new. Is there any non-nostalgic value to grabbing it?

I played a lot of it on the n64. It's got good stunts and a catchy soundtrack. It's kind of a less in-your-face, more always going downhill Tony Hawk.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just downloaded Spin Six, and it's pretty cool! Kinda reminds me of Yoshi's Cookie.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It holds up well enough, but I can't play it for long without wanting to play 1080 Avalanche instead.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How much space does 1080 Snowboarding take up? I have a ton of coins that are expiring this year, might as well spend them.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

OptimusShr posted:

New Club Nintendo rewards are up:

Wow. Glad I pulled the trigger on Picross last month.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Crawfish posted:

Why would a company love selling their product in what was CLEARLY not any sort of a promotion at 1/4 of the price they know it sells at anyways?

Well these are games I would never buy for full price and will therefore never buy except in such a sale (accidental or otherwise) or preowned. Look at how many people jumped on those games and tell me Nintendo made a loss.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't say they made a profit.

Prices of that level are something that could only work as a price error, because if they were a legitimate regular thing, literally no one would buy anything from Nintendo at full price, and even a cost cutting company as such as Nintendo couldn't realistically survive off only ever getting $8 off almost all of its sales.

I can agree with the idea that Nintendo needs to actually put poo poo on sale more often, but i'd be leaning more on the 20% off side than the 80% off side personally.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Crawfish posted:

Prices of that level are something that could only work as a price error, because if they were a legitimate regular thing, literally no one would buy anything from Nintendo at full price, and even a cost cutting company as such as Nintendo couldn't realistically survive off only ever getting $8 off almost all of its sales.

I can agree with the idea that Nintendo needs to actually put poo poo on sale more often, but i'd be leaning more on the 20% off side than the 80% off side personally.

There will always exist people who have enough income to spend $60 on a game to get it on release day, even if it goes down in price a week later.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The T posted:

There will always exist people who have enough income to spend $60 on a game to get it on release day, even if it goes down in price a week later.

Having sales a week or a month later also amasses a large amount of people who will never pay full price. I'll never ever pay full price for a PC game or anything I can get on steam, but I will pay full price for some Nintendo games and some PS4 games.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Crawfish posted:

You should read this blog post about an indie developer's experience putting his game on sale for 75% off in the Steam Holiday Sale: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGalindo/20140109/208337/How_much_do_indie_PC_devs_make_anyways_Part_V.php

It would absolutely be worth Nintendo putting old games on sale for that much. I wouldn't buy a copy of Star Fox 64 3D for $40, and 20% off that isn't doing much to persuade me, but I'd absolutely pick it up for $10.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Crawfish posted:

These games have already been out and seen more than enough return on their production costs and make plenty of profits at full price. Thus, the only way that sale could have been not profitable is if the cost of digitally downloading a copy of a game costs Nintendo more than $11 (which is what the lowest price translated to). If that's the case, Nintendo should maybe just shut the whole eShop down, considering there's stuff on there for $0.99.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition - €24.99 / £19.99
WII U eSHOP
    Dr. Luigi - €14.99 / £13.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 until January 30
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Party: Island Tour - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until January 23
    MYST (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 31
    Dress To Play: Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until February 6
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubble (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until February 6

NA update (week of January 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    F1 Race Stars Powered Up Edition - $29.99
WII U eSHOP
    UnEpic - $9.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 1

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS) - "More than 30% off" until January 20
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - "More than 30% off" until January 20
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS) - "More than 30% off" until January 20
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (3DS) - $20 off from January 20-27
    EDGE (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until January 23
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - 25% off until January 23
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - "More than 50% off" until January 30
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - $19.99 until January 31
    Hometown Story (3DS) - $29.99 until January 31
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    1080 Snowboarding (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until February 9
    F-Zero (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until February 9
    Game & Watch: Cement Factory (DSiWare) - 100 Coins, available until February 9
    Spin Six (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until February 9

NA dudes, note the Etrian Odyssey Untold sale - $20 off for a week, starting from tomorrow. You might wanna jump on the current Atlus sales, too, if you haven't already.

UnEpic is a D&D-themed metroidvania game that's been out on PC for a year or so; I haven't played it, but I'm told it's in more in the vein of games like Maze of Galious, Legacy of the Wizard, La Mulana etc than your typical SOTN-style thing. Seems fun enough, and I think PAL-land's getting it next week.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you get Castlevania 2, be sure and find a guide online or something. There's some really opaque stuff that you wouldn't guess (but are expected to!) and nearly everything anybody tells you is a lie.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Castlevania 2 is a bit different from the other early Castlevania games, right? More explore-y and puzzle-solve-y?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlus's conquest of my wallet continues.

E: Once again, don't buy Hometown Story.

E2: \/\/ EO:U is fun. They added a story mode to the original EO and for me it's a much better experience than EO IV. I'm rebuying it on digital when it goes on sale.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, note the Etrian Odyssey Untold sale - $20 off for a week, starting from tomorrow. You might wanna jump on the current Atlus sales, too, if you haven't already.

Starting tomorrow or the 20th? Your list says 20th.
Mannn, either way, that's what, $20 for the game? I haven't even beaten EO4 but I guess I'll pick up EO:U.
(is it any good)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Which 3DS Harvest Moon is the one to get again?

Or should I just suck it up and get Rune Factory 4?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Machine posted:

Or should I just suck it up and get Rune Factory 4?

Yes.

Also, no sale on SMT4 is unfortunate. Remember, Code of Princess is not worth buying!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Castlevania 2 is a bit different from the other early Castlevania games, right? More explore-y and puzzle-solve-y?

Think of Order of Ecclesia, except all the map areas are interconnected and there is no map. Also, I wouldn't say there were puzzles, just annoying caveats.

You'll go far if you remember a few things:
1. Always get the crystals. There is a white crystal in the town you start in and you start with enough money to buy it. The rest you trade for. ALWAYS trade for them, you can't trade down and the upgraded crystal will do everything the un-upgraded crystals would do.
2. When you come to a dead end, equip the crystal and kneel down. If nothing happens after ten seconds, you either don't have the right crystal, or it's actually just a dead end.
3. Buy the holy water, you can use it to test for "invisible" pits and fake walls. This game loves them for some reason.
4. Trust no spoken dialog but talk to everybody because sometimes they are shops, and sometimes they just give you stuff.

There are a lot of other secrets but they're mostly unnecessary because the game is easy as poo poo. There are three bosses, the first two you can skip and the last one can be killed before he has a chance to attack. The rest is just grinding and finding poo poo while you finish mansions.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Guilty posted:

If you get Castlevania 2, be sure and find a guide online or something. There's some really opaque stuff that you wouldn't guess (but are expected to!) and nearly everything anybody tells you is a lie.

If you find a dead end, just crouch for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

Which 3DS Harvest Moon is the one to get again?

A New Beginning is the most recent one. There's also another one in the pipeline called Harvest Moon: Connect to a New Land.