Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thanks to whoever recommended Flashpoint, I've seen two episodes now and it's fantastic. The tone's completely different to other cop shows I've watched. Incredibly tense but not filled with hateful assholes. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ragequit posted:

You just made my night. Thread delivers!

No one mentioned Hola Unblocker, but Season 3 of Sherlock can be steamed from the BBC website if you live in the UK or install that extension.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Flashpoint, I've seen two episodes now and it's fantastic. The tone's completely different to other cop shows I've watched. Incredibly tense but not filled with hateful assholes. I love it.

I'm about halfway through the 4th season and Flashpoint is consistently WAY better than it has any right to be. Also, season 4 episode 7 is the best episode of the entire series thus far.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used to watch Flashpoint and really liked it but for whatever reason gave up on it halfway through the next to last season (4). So it's worth going back to finish? Or does it fizzle out toward the end? I must have got bored with it for some reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wormil posted:

I used to watch Flashpoint and really liked it but for whatever reason gave up on it halfway through the next to last season (4). So it's worth going back to finish? Or does it fizzle out toward the end? I must have got bored with it for some reason.

Some of the best episodes are in the back half of season 4, so absolutely.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ragequit posted:

Is The Last Stand as terrible as I imagine? I could do with a dumb action movie with a bottle of whiskey nearby.
It's pretty dumb and pretty enjoyable. I'd put it up there next to that Stallone old-guy-cop movie, except with more antique machine guns and Johnny Knoxville and sweet custom racing cars. Forgettable but not regrettable, and Arnold did a solid job.

Continuity problem and inconsequential spoiler (since they never mention it again basically) But why did they never follow up on that gut shot?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

coyo7e posted:

Continuity problem and inconsequential spoiler (since they never mention it again basically) But why did they never follow up on that gut shot?

Because it was a terrible and forgettable movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I just figured those napkins he threw on the desk had magically healed it up. Happily ever after, The End.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The Last Stand is exactly as dumb as you imagine. But it's not dour and lifeless the way that truly terrible action movies are. It's a watchable kind of dumb. Good to put on while you're making dinner or folding laundry or something.

color
Feb 5, 2007

I will spell the name,
"W-I-L-F-O-R-K"

Remember it.
Just watched both American Psycho and Drinking Buddies. Both on instant queue and both amazing.

American Psycho is a classic rewatch for me; I just think there are some parts that are so unbelievably funny that only a horror film could come up with.
I was recommended Drinking Buddies by a podcast I listen to but the title kind of threw me off. I watched it anyway and I loved it. It's just a perfect encapsulation of life in your late 20's and early 30's and how these pefectly well-meaning and kind individuals deal with restlessness and dealing with the reality of their lives.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wafflesnsegways posted:

The Last Stand is exactly as dumb as you imagine. But it's not dour and lifeless the way that truly terrible action movies are. It's a watchable kind of dumb. Good to put on while you're making dinner or folding laundry or something.

This is about how it turned out for me minus the whole being productive thing. Speaking of not being productive Jack Reacher is a nice standard super skilled military + intuitively knows things guy kicks rear end type movie. I'd probably rate it a notch above The Last Stand in watchability.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jack Reacher was okay. I really liked Werner Herzog, and I thought Cruise did a pretty good job with the material. I thought he also made up for not being physically imposing with having an imposing personality and presence.

However, and I know this is kind of a silly thing to criticize a movie like Jack loving Reacher about, I had a real problem with the way the film treated women. Every woman except for the meth smoking mom who has no dialogue and exactly one scene were either emotionally fragile little dainty things or uncontrollably horny around Reacher, sometimes both. Even the big female lawyer acts very helpless for a good portion of the movie and even has that one scene where she's totally itching to jump his bones.

It just all stinks of "Hahaha, I can gently caress any of these females, but I'm too busy being awesome" :smug:
Very wish-fulfillment on the part of the author.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life with Damien Lewis is exceptionally good. Most of the cast is pretty meh but he alone carries the entire show easily. Watching him as the pseudo-zen detective solving crimes is better then anything else going on in the show. There's this long convoluted meta-plot about who framed him for the crime that put him away but it's nowhere near as good as watching a quirky upbeat Damien Lewis solve crimes.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but Disney's Brave is now on Instant. I love it, but I love Disney movies. It's probably not for everyone. It has bears, good songs, and Scottish accents.

e: spelling mistakes.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Baron von Eevl posted:

However, and I know this is kind of a silly thing to criticize a movie like Jack loving Reacher about, I had a real problem with the way the film treated women. Every woman except for the meth smoking mom who has no dialogue and exactly one scene were either emotionally fragile little dainty things or uncontrollably horny around Reacher, sometimes both. Even the big female lawyer acts very helpless for a good portion of the movie and even has that one scene where she's totally itching to jump his bones.

It just all stinks of "Hahaha, I can gently caress any of these females, but I'm too busy being awesome" :smug:
Very wish-fulfillment on the part of the author.

Nah it wasn't just you. My gf and I were laughing at how blatant and kind of sad it was. Author wish-fulfillment self insert indeed. But I did enjoy watching the film too so whatever.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Nah it wasn't just you. My gf and I were laughing at how blatant and kind of sad it was. Author wish-fulfillment self insert indeed. But I did enjoy watching the film too so whatever.

I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan (aside from his role in Tropical Thunder) , but I really thought Ghost Protocol and Jack Reacher were good popcorn flicks. In fact, I think Ghost Protocol might be my favorite MI movie. Other than the Fast and Furious franchise, I can't think of many that have gotten that much better that far into the sequels.

Ghost Protocol is still available for streaming and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. It won't change your life, but it will keep you entertained for a couple hours.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was pleasantly surprised by Jack Reacher. Tom Cruise pulls it off by just being so suave and calm at all times, you believe he could gently caress people up. Its also pretty brutal, much more violent than I was expecting. My friend told me that the character from the books is written to be much more physically imposing, very tall and muscular, so maybe they wrote Cruise's version as the ultimate lady's man as a way to give him a more masculine quality. I didn't have that much of a problem with it because its played as ridiculous even to the characters in the film experiencing it. The lawyer ends up in a motel room with Reacher and almost sleeps with him, then when she leaves she's got this look on her face like "what the hell just happened? Is this guy Dracula or something?". I think the point was to make it seem like Reacher walked out of a movie and into the real world to solve this case.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan (aside from his role in Tropical Thunder) , but I really thought Ghost Protocol and Jack Reacher were good popcorn flicks. In fact, I think Ghost Protocol might be my favorite MI movie. Other than the Fast and Furious franchise, I can't think of many that have gotten that much better that far into the sequels.

Ghost Protocol is still available for streaming and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. It won't change your life, but it will keep you entertained for a couple hours.

Ghost Protocol is the best spy thriller of all time. It's from Brad Bird, director of The Incredibles, so it has an amazing springy and kinetic feel to the action, it's nonstop creative and exciting action from start to finish, it's really funny and the color in the Dubai scenes is breathtaking.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Motley posted:

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but Disney's Brave is now on Instant. I love it, but I love Disney movies. It's probably not for everyone. It has bears, good songs, and Scottish accents.

e: spelling mistakes.

Where are you seeing that? Because I can't find it. There is a knock off called Kiara the Brave, are you looking at that one?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

scary ghost dog posted:

Ghost Protocol is the best spy thriller of all time. It's from Brad Bird, director of The Incredibles, so it has an amazing springy and kinetic feel to the action, it's nonstop creative and exciting action from start to finish, it's really funny and the color in the Dubai scenes is breathtaking.

I also loving love Ghost Protocol. It's ridiculous in the best possible way. Renner :allears:

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

scary ghost dog posted:

Agreed, I liked both of these. I'm looking for movies more like this or even more like Snatch. I just watched "Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels" for probably the first time since it came out, and while it was okay, it didn't have the same appeal I remember it having when I was 18-19.

Anyone know of any of these types of thriller/comedy/action movies on Netflix now? I'm tempted to watch Italian Job again, and I see about a dozen Jason Statham movies that all seem to be the same exact loving plot as the other 100 movies he's been in. Are ANY of them good?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I don't think it's on Netflix, but Shoot 'em Up is great fun.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I really liked Redemption. It's not as action-filled as most of Statham's movies but I really enjoyed it. I wish Layer Cake was on Netflix.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

tiananman posted:

Agreed, I liked both of these. I'm looking for movies more like this or even more like Snatch. I just watched "Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels" for probably the first time since it came out, and while it was okay, it didn't have the same appeal I remember it having when I was 18-19.

Anyone know of any of these types of thriller/comedy/action movies on Netflix now? I'm tempted to watch Italian Job again, and I see about a dozen Jason Statham movies that all seem to be the same exact loving plot as the other 100 movies he's been in. Are ANY of them good?

It's a lot more subdued than the ones you mentioned, but In Bruges is a great loving movie with funny/dark comedic bits, and some decent action too. No Statham, however.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Eat This Glob posted:

It's a lot more subdued than the ones you mentioned, but In Bruges is a great loving movie with funny/dark comedic bits, and some decent action too. No Statham, however.

Seconding this. If you haven't seen In Bruges SEE IT

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The only issue with Ghost Protocol is how forgettable the villain is. "Because he's crazy!" is such a lame motivation, and he isn't really given any proper characterization.

All the action scenes are phenomenal though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hah, thinking about it now I honestly can't remember the villain from ghost protocol. I remember Hoffman as the baddy in 3 because he was incredibly menacing. But GP, poo poo I'll have to look it up.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Where are you seeing that? Because I can't find it. There is a knock off called Kiara the Brave, are you looking at that one?

Oops, I should've mentioned. This is on Swedish Netflix. I used a browser extension to get around the region block.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Other than the Fast and Furious franchise, I can't think of many that have gotten that much better that far into the sequels.

If they ever put all of the Fast and Furious movies on Netflix, I would need a day off work. So much over the top action and beefcake, who could resist.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Life with Damien Lewis is exceptionally good. Most of the cast is pretty meh but he alone carries the entire show easily. Watching him as the pseudo-zen detective solving crimes is better then anything else going on in the show. There's this long convoluted meta-plot about who framed him for the crime that put him away but it's nowhere near as good as watching a quirky upbeat Damien Lewis solve crimes.

Started watching this last night and so far I would agree with your post; even if I may be biased from loving him in Band of Brothers.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Started watching this last night and so far I would agree with your post; even if I may be biased from loving him in Band of Brothers.

I loved him in Band of Brothers, but then I watched Dreamcatcher and so now I'm neutral.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Deadite posted:

I loved him in Band of Brothers, but then I watched Dreamcatcher and so now I'm neutral.

How can you hate on that smile?

:haw:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This is another post supporting Life. It's very good and definitely deserved more episodes. Just be advised (last episode spoilers)

the series ends on a cliffhanger so if you hate that poo poo, maybe avoid

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Spoeank posted:

This is another post supporting Life. It's very good and definitely deserved more episodes. Just be advised (last episode spoilers)

I watched the first season as it aired and thought it was fabulous, but I knew it wasn't going to make it past the second so I stopped there. Still, the whole "Dig a hole, fill it up" was some really awesome television.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ghost Protocol bad guy is the Swedish dude who wants to nuke the world and start civilization over.

tiananman posted:

Check out Crank and if you don't think it's awesome don't watch Crank 2.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Spoeank posted:

I attempted this show some time ago. It was ok, but than the dreaded Prince of Persia game hack episodes was born, and I wanted to murder my television. I have never been so angry at a TV show in my life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah, no, I totally enjoyed it. It was dumb though. Real dumb.

Tom Cruise honestly kind of carried the majority of the movie, and again Herzog was great. The scene where Reacher gets into the street fight with 5 3 guys was great too. "Really?"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Eat This Glob posted:

If you like In Bruges , give Perrier's Bounty a try. I just watched it a few nights ago. It also stars Brendan Gleeson and I really liked it.

Another film that might fit currently isn't streaming on US Netflix, but Seven Psychopaths has a good mix of crime, humor and violence... and Christopher Walken.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

If they ever put all of the Fast and Furious movies on Netflix, I would need a day off work. So much over the top action and beefcake, who could resist.

Most (all?) appear to be on Netflix Canada, so if you have means to access that, there you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
All of An Idiot Abroad was just added. It's really funny and interesting.

• Locked thread