Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Regarding film grain, I can say definitively that a very high proportion of grainy Blu-Rays have artificial grain. That is, the 2K image has been scrubbed of all grain, enhanced for clarity/sharpness/definition, and then period/stock appropriate digital grain patterns are added back in. I've worked for one of the top companies in that field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Regarding film grain, I can say definitively that a very high proportion of grainy Blu-Rays have artificial grain. That is, the 2K image has been scrubbed of all grain, enhanced for clarity/sharpness/definition, and then period/stock appropriate digital grain patterns are added back in. I've worked for one of the top companies in that field.

Example?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Aliens. All that grain is fake.

Edit: whoops, saw your post earlier about the same.

The Terminator (remastered).

I dunno really, I mean it's a lot of 'em. It's a widespread, commonly accepted way of doing things.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 12, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Oh god, this knowledge must never get to the hands of those nerds on those av forums who judge quality entirely by graininess. These were the same people who obsessed over the Band of Brothers blu-ray because it was slightly less grainy than the Japanese HD-DVD, and some were like "Oh my, it's so waxy and detail free!" Please, don't let them know.

I'm afraid that then now every release with a little bit of grain will now be criticized as being "digital grain." Don't give more ammo to the people who can't just enjoy how something looks without watching a film just for the grain.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Yes and my Uncle works at Nintendo.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yes and my Uncle works at Nintendo.

Well, one of my jobs was working for a company doing DRS passes on classic movies being released on Blu. You'd be shocked at the sort of people that get hired (and at what rate) to go through these things. That having been said, I also worked for another company with some AMAZING frame fuckers who would do the movies proud. So it depends.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aliens. All that grain is fake.

Edit: whoops, saw your post earlier about the same.

The Terminator (remastered).

I dunno really, I mean it's a lot of 'em. It's a widespread, commonly accepted way of doing things.

That would be Reliance Mediaworks. Isn't the film grain more averaged rather than replaced? Most of the work from them looks amazingly detailed without looking like DVNR freak shows like Predator and The Sword in the Stone. They seem to be the only place that can handle noise reduction without ruining the image.

live4ten
Feb 26, 2006

Why spend your life making someone else's dreams?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh god, this knowledge must never get to the hands of those nerds on those av forums who judge quality entirely by graininess.

AVSForum comments regarding newest T2 blu-ray:

[quote="42041" post="avsforum"]
Honestly I have a bigger problem with the rather visible Lowry-ing going on in many scenes, occasionally manifesting as a static grain pattern that follows moving objects underneath the layer of fake grain, more often making textures look subtly plasticky.[/quote]

[quote="Fanboyz" post="avsforum"]
Lowry removes grain and replaces it with fake grain, it's what they do.[/quote]

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416733/the-terminator-new-release/510

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What's the purpose of erasing natural film grain and replacing it with artificial grain?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CPL593H posted:

What's the purpose of erasing natural film grain and replacing it with artificial grain?

Yeah it doesn't make sense, and plus I think video spergs would be able to catch on to it fast as hell.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

CPL593H posted:

You cut a master with minimal grain for streaming so the lower bitrates on netflix/amazon/itunes don't macroblock it to hell, and put in grain optimized for the entropy calculator in whatever codec you're using for the bluray. Actual film grain compresses badly, but you don't want a grain free image, so you invent synthetic grain that's a known quantity.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Prometheus 4-disc is currently $12.99 on amazon which is its lowest price ever.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Vintersorg posted:

the new Terminator release (can throw away my old copy now).

Rather than throw it away I sold mine (along with my old Robocop) to the local used store, got like 3 bucks for each. You gotta figure 99% of the movie watching public won't care that there's a better version of it, and anyone who does will know to look for it.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I know way back in the day we had a lot of posts about the BTTF blu-rays regarding DNR/Sharpening, apparently a while ago someone made a blu-ray somehow using a Digital Cinema Package copy.
Found some screenshots of them and made 100% crops to show the difference. DCP on the left, retail Blu-Ray on the right.

Didn't remember it being this bad but :eyepop:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I must not be familiar with how BTTF should look because the blu ray shots look nicer to me:ohdear:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neither looks that great. The "untouched" version looks like an older transfer with too much noise while the Blu looks too scrubbed and contrast boosted.

Apparently, Universal's spotty remastering is due to corporate being tightfisted on remastering costs. If it has a halfway viewable transfer, even from 6-10 years ago, that's what they're using. They're pretty much doing 4K only for films that don't have usable HD masters or the filmmakers have enough say.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

I must not be familiar with how BTTF should look because the blu ray shots look nicer to me:ohdear:

It's been noise reduced and then resharpened. There is very significant ringing around a lot of the sharp edges. The old version looks like a lower resolution master and has a lot of grain showing.

I doubt the release of BTTF would make me go wow the way the first time I saw the Bluray release of the Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain or Ben-Hur did.

Edit: I reworked my statements to hopefully make them more clear. Sorry, I cut my calories a bit low today and got interrupted five times in the course of writing that response. In my last statement about Alien, I was trying to find something filmed closer to Back to the Future which impressed me in the quality.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 14, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

HFX posted:

If you want something of similar time to Back to the Future, the way Alien did.

I've read this sentence five times, and I still don't understand what it's saying.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think HFX had a stroke mid sentence. :ohdear:

Are you okay, HFX?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I think HFX had a stroke mid sentence. :ohdear:

Are you okay, HFX?

Fortunately, yes. I went back and cleaned up the post.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More DVNR crap from Universal (I know this is Shout! but it was licensed from them)

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

More DVNR crap from Universal (I know this is Shout! but it was licensed from them)

I was almost shocked they didn't include the DVDbeaver boob shot as I scrolled through the screengrabs but then I reached the last one.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

I was going to post this exact same thing but I figured someone else would do it. But it's a shame that it's now 2014 and Universal still hasn't learned that HD masters from ten years ago won't cut it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Well...at least I still have my HD-DVD :smithicide:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a site that might tell what was produced in SD and probably won't be remastered? For example, the Avatar:The Last Airbender DVDs are all there is because the show was made for SD so no use waiting for blu ray.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a site that might tell what was produced in SD and probably won't be remastered? For example, the Avatar:The Last Airbender DVDs are all there is because the show was made for SD so no use waiting for blu ray.

IMDB sometimes has this under the technical specs for an entry.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So apparently my Best Buy broke street date? They had the new remaster of Robocop on the shelf today and I picked it up. My buddy says it's not out till the 21st and that's what amazon says too. What's the story?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

ApexAftermath posted:

So apparently my Best Buy broke street date? They had the new remaster of Robocop on the shelf today and I picked it up. My buddy says it's not out till the 21st and that's what amazon says too. What's the story?

It was released on the 7th at Best Buy as an exclusive until the 21sst.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Personperson14 posted:

It was released on the 7th at Best Buy as an exclusive until the 21sst.

Nice. I canceled my amazon preorder because I had to stop at bestbuy anyways.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much at Best Buy?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

How much at Best Buy?

Same price as amazon. It includes a $7.50 value ticket for seeing the remake. Not sure if amazon orders will get that or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, gonna cancel my preorder then

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, gonna cancel my preorder then

Might want to make sure BB has them still. When I checked online it says my store is out now. It was stocked on an end cap shelf that an employee had to point me to. He actually jumped on it also once I explained that it was a new release and he saw the ticket for the new one was included. Pretty much a free movie, and it apparently has all the criterion edition extras.

Just finished it and hot drat the transfer rocks. If you like this film at all pick this up.

EDIT: Watching the extras now. I love how the trailer uses music from Terminator.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've been to multiple best buys in my area and they are completely sold out. It's really frustrating. How many people seriously rush out to buy Robocop at Best Buy? Besides me that is.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Cyra posted:

I've been to multiple best buys in my area and they are completely sold out. It's really frustrating. How many people seriously rush out to buy Robocop at Best Buy? Besides me that is.

I decided last minute to cancel my amazon order and try my luck at BB this morning. I guess everyone else went hog wild as well.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
My Best Buy didn't have one either, and nobody even knew what I was talking about when I asked.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Same here

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

All I want is The Abyss on Blu-Ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ApexAftermath posted:

I decided last minute to cancel my amazon order and try my luck at BB this morning. I guess everyone else went hog wild as well.

Was it on sale for a dollar? Because I know someone who would buy that for a dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Okay, something's going on. I've been to four different best buys and the endcap is always full, except for the space for Robocop, which is empty. When I ask if they have it, they check and it always says they have a bunch in stock, but when they go to check in the back they find none. I'm thinking someone goofed on this whole promotion thing relative to the actual release date, like Robocop was supposed to be part of this endcap promo but not until it actually releases. So the system assumes they have it along with the other movies in the promo, but in actuality they haven't even recieved shipments of the movie yet.

That's confusing though, because clearly some people out there have bought the movie from Best Buy. So really, I don't know what the gently caress.

• Locked thread