Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Literally Elvis posted:

oh god what have I done

You've done the exact same thing I've been considering for quite some time, although I think I'm going to gut my old sewing machine to make a winder. I didn't even think to look on eBay for cheap magnet wire, so thanks for posting that. :)

I just picked a cheap electronic drum set, the Alesis DM Lite:

Although I've been dabbling (poorly) in guitar for a few years now, I played drums from grade school all the way through high school. <geek>I actually got my high school letter in band.</geek> It's been a little over 20 years now since I've actually owned a kit of any kind, and aside from occasionally helping friends' bands with sound checks and whatnot, I haven't really played for all that time.

The Alesis set is exactly as disappointingly cheezy as I thought it would be, so I'm in fact not disappointed at all. It plays pretty well though - the pads are quite responsive, the hit-hat pedal actually triggers a close (and occasionally open if you time it just right) sound when in motion, and the ridiculous binkenlights in the pads amuse the 13-year-old in me. The built in sounds are decent. As soon as I figure out how the gently caress to work some MIDI stuff on the computer, I'm going to try to find some good drum samples and use the kit as triggers.

All in all, for less than $250 it's definitely good enough to get me started playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Koth posted:

Would these parts also be an upgrade over the stock Epiphone SG G-400? I want to get black hardware for mine instead of the chrome hardware that is currently on it.

It would be. The problem with Epiphone is that the hardware is usually pot metal garbage, even if the pickups are typically okay and the tuners are good. They also used to be really bad about nuts (they might be better now, I haven't tried their newer stuff)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

kahm posted:

Woah - that's a neat design. Wonder how well it works. Does that drop in place of normal gibson bridges?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html

It should - GFS has an interesting assortment of bridges and tailpieces, including some designed for top wrapping.

But, you know, sometimes guitars are nonstandard or 'import spec' or something. But hell, you're out less than fifty bucks on any part, so it's no huge loss.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Manky posted:

I tried making some picks out of homemade casein once, sloppy attempt but it worked. They lasted as long as you'd expect something you've made out of milk would. Interesting science experiment. Now I'm looking into making some picks out of a more durable material.

Haha, you made some casein? How was that? I reckon the mass-produced stuff is probably a little more durable; the old casein + formaldehyde material is incredibly durable compared to just basic hardened supercheese casein plastic (REALLY DO NOT EAT IT though), but I am not sure what specific formulation Red Bear or this Pearse dude is using. I've tried Pearse picks before and I didn't like the one I had (buffalo horn - it was very pretty, unfortunately the horn was low quality and flaky), but free shipping for an overage of $3 and I get a thick pick out of it that I can sand to the shape I want, what's not to like?

:shepface:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How much :420: did it take for cheese picks to become a thing? Come on, don't lie. I'm curious about those though. Mostly from the novelty but I love trying interesting picks.

Is anyone planning on making a picks/strings/accessories thread still? I'd love to see a shift on these forums towards really appreciating the smaller aspects of guitar that can massively alter your sound. Also in the mood to shout praises of the V-Picks Colossal and bug everyone until they buy one.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

How much :420: did it take for cheese picks to become a thing? Come on, don't lie. I'm curious about those though. Mostly from the novelty but I love trying interesting picks.

Is anyone planning on making a picks/strings/accessories thread still? I'd love to see a shift on these forums towards really appreciating the smaller aspects of guitar that can massively alter your sound. Also in the mood to shout praises of the V-Picks Colossal and bug everyone until they buy one.

Yes. I am planning to do that. I'm the crazy person who has owned pretty much all of them so it seems appropriate. But I have new things incoming and I wanted to talk about it and and dude he made casein! HE MADE CHEESE PICKS hahaha.

Casein was used, along with relatively water-absorbent (and thus problematic to work with, and to use) real plastics like cellulose acetate and celluloid, as early replacements for stuff that used to be made from decorative wood or, especially, Hawkbill turtle shell. We nearly wiped them out we liked their stupid shells so much. So the "fast turtle" thing is a bit of a joke, erm, sorry for the attempted genocide turtles.

Those two plastics I mentioned were invented in the friggin 1800s, and not the late 1800s, either but it took a while for production processes to become viable for mass production. The first mass-produced picks (and this is a relative term, mind) made of plastic were the D'Andrea picks, which were made from celluloid and came in all the shapes that most companies are still using. The D'Andrea 351 is what Fender picked for their pick shape, and it rather caught on. But they had a ton of shapes back in the day and still do.

Casein isn't inherently THAT fast wearing - in fact it can be made very pure and quite hard, and it can be water resistant to the point of hydrophobia. That was one of its earliest uses, stranded impregnated garments that were marketed as waterproof. Red Bear's picks are only fast wearing compared to harder plastics that we have these days, not "drat that pick, it ran out of mojo after like an hour" - I'm guessing some homemade cheese product picks are going to have an imperfection or two that lends additional, uh, wear susceptibility to them.

Edit: The one thing I don't get though is if Red Bear picks are casein, how come they go all floppy when they get wet? They'll swell up like a sponge. Not ALL casein is hydrophobic, but it can certainly be made so, and given their hardness... I don't know, what other animal derived protein plastics are there that do ... eh, whatever.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2014

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anyone have any experience with GFS Mini Humbuckers? My SG's P90s just aren't cutting it for attack so as I was looking into other options I stumbled across these. The SG is downtuned to C standard for stoner rock stuff and the stock Gibson P90s just sound flubby and characterless (not to mention the hum) so a ceramic humbucker that could fit into the P90 slot without body modification would be rad.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Play it a bit before even thinking bout changing the bridge or the tuners.

When you do, my traditional suggestion for tuners are these:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-EZ-LOK-locking-Tuners-3x3-fits-Gibson-Headstocks_p_880.html
No moving parts to the lock, nice and easy wrap.

The bridge? Well, one suggestion is this for a nice and heavy improvement. More mass, more sustain, more power.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BRASS-Chrome-locking-Tuneomatic-bridge-locking-Saddles-_p_4218.html

Goes with this tailpiece.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BRASS-CURVED-Chrome-Locking-Stop-Tailpeice-Hand-Polished-_p_4222.html

Opinions, anyone?

Question for everyone but I'm quotin Warcabbit cos he's my GFS bro and his post here is kind of related to what I think my problem might be.

Backstory: A few years ago I got myself a black LP standard with the asymmetrical neck (which I loving love) and then a year or so ago grabbed an Xaviere 560 - semi hollowbody with alnico P90s, for something stupid like $160. It kicks rear end for a $160 guitar, but everything just feels kind of flimsy and weak to be honest.

Actual loving question: SO, my LP has this gorgeous chunky, badass feel to playing it that I just loving love and would like to replicate (if possible.) I know a lot of this has to do with the LP's asymetrical neck, however on my Xaviere 560 it feels really flimsy beyond just the neck. The strings just feel kind of flabby and weak and I don't think it's anything to do with the strings themselves. Is it possible changing the bridge/tailpiece (to something like Warcabbit posted here) could bring a bit more of a meaty feel to it? Maybe changing up the angles little?

Idk, these are my first guitars with bridges/tailpieces, and I'm not too sure how the subtleties work. I've been travelling for 9 years and just got back into electrics after playing mostly acoustics, Before that I had a terrible Floyd rose setup that my mom bought me when I was 16. Thanks mom, but never listen to a loving 16 year old.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Handen posted:

Anyone have any experience with GFS Mini Humbuckers? My SG's P90s just aren't cutting it for attack so as I was looking into other options I stumbled across these. The SG is downtuned to C standard for stoner rock stuff and the stock Gibson P90s just sound flubby and characterless (not to mention the hum) so a ceramic humbucker that could fit into the P90 slot without body modification would be rad.

They come in ceramic and alnico. My #1 has a Ceramic in the neck, while my other Telemaster has an Alnico. They certainly have different tonal characteristics. The ceramic is sharper, the alnico is warmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Buis3HmFc
Crazy russian playing JT90 with the alnico in the neck. Says everything - note that he's using a horrible Crate.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Haha, you made some casein? How was that?

Agreed posted:

I'm guessing some homemade cheese product picks are going to have an imperfection or two that lends additional, uh, wear susceptibility to them.

Yeah, that's putting it mildly. I forget what instructions I followed online, something like this instructable. I just formed it into rough pick shapes and tried to file some semblance of reason into their edges. Without making them thicker and putting a better point on them they just couldn't stand up to the force of strumming. (Or homemade casein just can't cut it.) I wouldn't mind trying it again, it's a cool proof of concept.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Manky posted:

Yeah, that's putting it mildly. I forget what instructions I followed online, something like this instructable. I just formed it into rough pick shapes and tried to file some semblance of reason into their edges. Without making them thicker and putting a better point on them they just couldn't stand up to the force of strumming. (Or homemade casein just can't cut it.) I wouldn't mind trying it again, it's a cool proof of concept.

Don't kill yourself doing it but the way that really tough casein plastics were made were by combining the casein (which at the point that the instructible thing there leaves off is still basically cheese precursor!) with formaldehyde. Obviously something to be undertaken with remarkable care. But that makes a really hard, hydrophobic plastic that you made out of milk, so that's pretty cool.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
So...

I had a Marshall 1987x (the 50 watt small box plexi). I loved it. But recently I was feeling the itch for some more power and I always dreamed of having a Super Lead. I put my amp up for sale on Kijiji under the guise of wanting to trade up to a Super Lead. I figured I would get zero response, but after 2 days a guy a half hour away wanted to do a straight trade.

I drove down last Friday with my amp and pedal board and junk to go try the drat thing out. Lo and behold we had a lot in common in terms of influences and why we bought the amps we did. I noticed that he only had the amp set at 2 on the dial. I hooked up my attenuator and proceeded to put it were I played my head which is usually about 8-9. After playing for about a minute or so I was beyond sold. He told me I had given him a religious experience because he had never had it that loud and was blown away with how it sounded. We did the trade and I walked out of there with my dream amp.

Here is the kicker: I only paid $250 CDN for the amp I gave him. I got a (when new) $2500 amp for 250.

Unfuckingbelieveable.

Here it is: The 1993 Marshall 1959SLP

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

DiscoDickTease posted:

Unfuckingbelieveable.

loving hell.
That's nice man, congratulations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DiscoDickTease posted:

Here is the kicker: I only paid $250 CDN for the amp I gave him. I got a (when new) $2500 amp for 250.

Unfuckingbelieveable.

:stare:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DiscoDickTease posted:

So...

I had a Marshall 1987x (the 50 watt small box plexi). I loved it. But recently I was feeling the itch for some more power and I always dreamed of having a Super Lead. I put my amp up for sale on Kijiji under the guise of wanting to trade up to a Super Lead. I figured I would get zero response, but after 2 days a guy a half hour away wanted to do a straight trade.

I drove down last Friday with my amp and pedal board and junk to go try the drat thing out. Lo and behold we had a lot in common in terms of influences and why we bought the amps we did. I noticed that he only had the amp set at 2 on the dial. I hooked up my attenuator and proceeded to put it were I played my head which is usually about 8-9. After playing for about a minute or so I was beyond sold. He told me I had given him a religious experience because he had never had it that loud and was blown away with how it sounded. We did the trade and I walked out of there with my dream amp.

Unfuckingbelieveable.

Well played, sir.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

DiscoDickTease posted:

So...

<snip>

Unfuckingbelieveable.

Holy poo poo dude, way to go! That amp sounds lovely, especially cranked, which it appears you will be able to do with ease thanks to the attenuator (I love attenuators, everyone should own one, even low wattage amp users - remember, common speakers have sensitivities ranging from the mid 90dB range to as high as 104dB at 1KHz at 1W, that is SUPER DUPER LOUD, protect ya neck ears).

Awesome acquisition, what song are you gonna play on it first :3:

Edit: Also, you need a boost for it? I have a MOSFET boost that I don't have much use for that I could let go cheap, really similar to a SHO but with some protection mods that stabilize the impedance and prevent the transistor from getting damaged, I don't mind shipping to Canada if you don't mind paying a very fair, low price for it - assuming you need it.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed posted:

Holy poo poo dude, way to go! That amp sounds lovely, especially cranked, which it appears you will be able to do with ease thanks to the attenuator (I love attenuators, everyone should own one, even low wattage amp users - remember, common speakers have sensitivities ranging from the mid 90dB range to as high as 104dB at 1KHz at 1W, that is SUPER DUPER LOUD, protect ya neck ears).

Awesome acquisition, what song are you gonna play on it first :3:

Edit: Also, you need a boost for it? I have a MOSFET boost that I don't have much use for that I could let go cheap, really similar to a SHO but with some protection mods that stabilize the impedance and prevent the transistor from getting damaged, I don't mind shipping to Canada if you don't mind paying a very fair, low price for it - assuming you need it.

I have played the poo poo out of it lately. I always run it around 7-8 just like the old one and the clean on this amp is beyond amazing... like the best I have heard on an amp ever. The power tubes are ARS (which I have never heard of) and there are Gold Lions in V2 and V3 and an ENGLISH Mullard in V1 so that helps.

I already have a boost that I got back in the summer which is the Xotic Effects EP-Boost. I don't like to use overdrives because I bought the amp to do that for me, but for the little extra on some solos I use the EP. I am mostly a Fuzz guy as I have 2 on my board alone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fuzz into a Plexi (or derivative) is a great sound, and if you've already got a boost you like, no need for another, in all likelihood.

What fuzzes are you running into it, out of curiosity? And - clips? :getin:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

DiscoDickTease posted:

I already have a boost that I got back in the summer which is the Xotic Effects EP-Boost. I don't like to use overdrives because I bought the amp to do that for me, but for the little extra on some solos I use the EP. I am mostly a Fuzz guy as I have 2 on my board alone.
That's the correct boost, it's what I use with my Jubilee too.

Are you using a Fuzz Factory? They're brilliant into a clean, cranked Marshall.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It's been awhile since I got to post in here.

I've been wanting a new bass for awhile, but I wanted to avoid another Fender clone. Affordable lefty basses are a sea of Black or Sunburst, and boy was I happy to see this on Ebay.

It's a Fernandes Gravity 4X. Their reviews look pretty good, the price was right, and it's a discontinued color, so I jumped on it.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Agreed posted:

Fuzz into a Plexi (or derivative) is a great sound, and if you've already got a boost you like, no need for another, in all likelihood.

What fuzzes are you running into it, out of curiosity? And - clips? :getin:

I go from my CryBaby which I modded to be more like a Thomas Organ wah into a Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional. Then we go to a Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face with the silicon trannies in it. Onto the EP Boost into my Strymon El Capistan which lastly goes into my Boss tuner that had a shitload of water spilled on it on New Years Eve.

The tuner now says I have a U string and a upside down and backwards F string hahaha. Still works though.

All powered by the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+.

Here's a pic:

I have a Fulltone Dejavibe, but it got run over years ago and is still supposed to be getting fixed...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Clitch posted:

I've been wanting a new bass for awhile, but I wanted to avoid another Fender clone. Affordable lefty basses are a sea of Black or Sunburst, and boy was I happy to see this on Ebay.

It's a Fernandes Gravity 4X. Their reviews look pretty good, the price was right, and it's a discontinued color, so I jumped on it.

A lot of entry level priced basses come with cruddy strings. I used my stock strings on my $180 Ibanez Gio bass for YEARS. Then I put a fresh set of Ernie Ball slinkys on it and it made it sound so much better.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ChocNitty posted:

A lot of entry level priced basses come with cruddy strings. I used my stock strings on my $180 Ibanez Gio bass for YEARS. Then I put a fresh set of Ernie Ball slinkys on it and it made it sound so much better.

I'll see how it goes, when I get the thing. I'm prone to replacing strings, as soon as I buy anything, but according to the seller it's got a fresh setup. If it sucks, it's not like I didn't have new strings in mind already.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Hammer Floyd posted:

What is it? That looks shiny and pretty...

Baer Valkyrie. It's a little different take on a bass amp - a very flat, studio style preamp & EQ mated to a gigantic Class AB power amp with a tiny little 12AX7 tube power amp (output transformer and everything) in between the two. With the tube section out it's like listening to your bass plugged into a top dollar studio board, but with it in you can go from "great tube DI box" to "V4B with volume dimed." Best bass amp I've ever played by a pretty large margin.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Clitch posted:

Very nice find, love the color too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

DiscoDickTease posted:

Congrats, can't wait to see you at Wembley!

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Quotin mismatched socks for posterity.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Quotin mismatched socks for posterity.
Just when you think you've got everything going your way...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just when you think you've got everything going your way...

Dem ain't mismatched. Dey're Rawk Sox, maaan.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Corpse-juice-cheese picks aside, thanks to the goons at Robinson Laser I got these in the mail yesterday.

V-pick included for reference. I have no way of grinding/smoothing them right now but if I clean up, replace some things, etc, I will be able to use the boss' workshop.

e: They're really satisfying in the hand. More weight than anything I've been using (though the thickest pick I've used is the v-pick screamer/acoustic, nothing so Rubenesque as what I've seen here). Right now it sounds/feels like playing with a sharp coin.

...I really needed to change strings anyway.

e2: I also want to say that I'm not planning on selling picks any time soon, but if I did, I'd get in touch with Vinni first and ask if he wants me to change the design.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 14, 2014

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

DiscoDickTease posted:

I have played the poo poo out of it lately. I always run it around 7-8 just like the old one and the clean on this amp is beyond amazing... like the best I have heard on an amp ever. The power tubes are ARS (which I have never heard of) and there are Gold Lions in V2 and V3 and an ENGLISH Mullard in V1 so that helps.

ARS Electronics are based in Van Nuys, CA in Los Angeles County. I get a lot of tubes for myself and my clients from there because they're so local to me. It's possible what you have are NOS American-made tubes sold in the 80's or 90's stamped with the ARS logo, or they may simply be modern re-badged JJ's or another Russian or Chinese brand.

edit: also, congrats on the NAD and having easily the best pedal setup I've seen on this board.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 14, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Needed a multi-band compressor/limiter. Found one cheap, but with a good pedigree (developed for a KVR dev competition, built upon significantly after that and wow is it good). Clip Shifter 2. Bought it. Enlightenment. This is yet another under-the-radar extremely low priced plugin that absolutely goes head to head with top tier commercial software.

Combined with the recent purchase of VUMT to round out my Klanghelm collection, I've got gain staging completely covered like never before. I'll save my more expanded thoughts for the plugins thread, but these two are EXCELLENT recent purchases and integrating them into my workflow is proving to be terrifically easy. Everyone who records needs good metering that they know, and when it comes to powerful and effective compression/limiting, finding a good multi-band with a crossover that doesn't gently caress up the phase, has a great GUI, and works as well as anything costing an order of magnitude higher is striking gold.

Plugin pics are weird but what the hell, people don't want just talk :) I made sure to grab screens of all the windows.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Just picked up a Pulse Plus that has the wrong drat firmware, it thinks it's a regular Pulse. Can't use the CV until I get a different PROM. I've got the .bins but haven't had access to a blower for over a decade. :emo:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Wasn't intending on picking up an amp today, but who am I to argue with fate?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just got off the phone with Roger Baer. A ML112 should be arriving next week.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

iostream.h posted:

Holy poo poo, great find.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Juaguocio posted:

Just got off the phone with Roger Baer. A ML112 should be arriving next week.

They're the best. They're the goddamn best.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat and I don't like you.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Why don't I know what amp that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

Why don't I know what amp that is?

Take it slo, you'll figure it out.