Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Right now it's the misfire we're trying to figure out; tires are likely trash though. They're still fully inflated, but it hasn't moved at all since it was parked.

The Optispark is questionable even when brand new, and it only gets worse.

spog posted:

Due to a blocked drain, the plenum on my 2005 Vauxhall Signum (aka Vectra C) filled up with water and ran through the heater blower.

This lead to a) squeaky fan, b) blown resistor pack, c) sopping wet passengers carpets

I've cleared the drain - but how do I get the carpet dry, given that I don't have power to my parking space? I've been driving with the heater on full blast at my feet and occasionally opening the windows, but is there another method?

Also, the fan still squeaks a little - if I keep it on full blast, will the squeak wear itself out or should I resign myself to pulling the fan and lubing it.

For that matter, if I were to squirt WD40 into the fan intake when the engine is off, will it drip through and lubricate the bits that were damaged with the water?

Run the A/C with your heater on, it will help dry the air out (which would help the carpet dry a bit faster too). Spraying WD40 in like that will just make everything reek like WD40, and won't lubricate poo poo; WD40 is piss-poor at nearly everything it does. The only way to properly relubricate the bearings (if the issue is actually just a lack of lube) would be to remove the motor and lubricate them directly. However, since it's far more likely the bearings are actually damaged, you should just plan on replacing the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Run the A/C with your heater on, it will help dry the air out (which would help the carpet dry a bit faster too). Spraying WD40 in like that will just make everything reek like WD40, and won't lubricate poo poo; WD40 is piss-poor at nearly everything it does. The only way to properly relubricate the bearings (if the issue is actually just a lack of lube) would be to remove the motor and lubricate them directly. However, since it's far more likely the bearings are actually damaged, you should just plan on replacing the motor.

It didn't even cross my mind to run the A/C - what a pillock.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try to get at the motor while in place as I think the spindle may be accessible from below - possibly with holes drilled in the casing. I'll mentally expect it to be no good, but I don't mind risking a resistor pack trying/hoping.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Buddy of mine stopped by for lunch and I noticed that his car was sticking at about 1500-2000 rpm when idling.

Its a '99 Saturn SL2, manual with only 88k miles on it. I'm thinking the throttle body is filthy - anything else I should do/look for?

GIJoe
Jul 28, 2004

Cigarette?

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like a syncro issue.

e: Like, it's worn and probably not worth the cost to replace. How many kms or miles on the car?

It's nearing 200,000 miles. It's basically my work car, don't see a need to replace it, or get it fixed. I'll just be nicer to it.

GIJoe fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 14, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I am a moron and didn't wear rubber gloves when switching out a couple rubber bushings about 30 mins ago and now my hands are super nasty. I got most of the grime off with some fast orange, but the rest is not budging. Is there anything else available at auto parts stores that'll take this poo poo off skin better?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Parts Kit posted:

I am a moron and didn't wear rubber gloves when switching out a couple rubber bushings about 30 mins ago and now my hands are super nasty. I got most of the grime off with some fast orange, but the rest is not budging. Is there anything else available at auto parts stores that'll take this poo poo off skin better?

Some of that poo poo gets in deep, you just gotta keep washing. I find you get good results alternating pumice (which fast orange has) and regular handsoap, but make sure and rest your hands in between if you don't want them all chapped.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I've alternated a couple times with Dawn and it doesn't seem to be doing much more. Has anyone used Goop or Permatex hand cleaner?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

West SAAB Story posted:

Buddy of mine stopped by for lunch and I noticed that his car was sticking at about 1500-2000 rpm when idling.

Its a '99 Saturn SL2, manual with only 88k miles on it. I'm thinking the throttle body is filthy - anything else I should do/look for?

Do you have a OBDII reader? On my 98 I had this problem when the temperature sensor cracked and read the engine was about 77 degrees below zero, so it would constantly try to heat up the motor by running fast. You could use that to check the temp it's reading, the gauge is crap. There was a service bulletin about this being a bad part. About $10.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

More likely a IACV or idle control screw problem - the latter might have carbon buildup on it like you're saying which would cause a high idle but just having a dirty throttle body won't really give you that problem.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Parts Kit posted:

Is there anything else available at auto parts stores that'll take this poo poo off skin better?

Invest in a nail brush and use it on especially dirty parts of your hands with whatever cleaner you're using.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You're going to scrub your fingerprints off in the process first. Just show off your nice new man-hands while the grime lasts :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

StormDrain posted:

Do you have a OBDII reader? On my 98 I had this problem when the temperature sensor cracked and read the engine was about 77 degrees below zero, so it would constantly try to heat up the motor by running fast. You could use that to check the temp it's reading, the gauge is crap. There was a service bulletin about this being a bad part. About $10.

Yep, I loaned it to him, but never got it back. Its a pretty simple one, though - I'll have to try setting up torque. Thanks - I hadn't thought of this possibility.

VelociBacon posted:

More likely a IACV or idle control screw problem - the latter might have carbon buildup on it like you're saying which would cause a high idle but just having a dirty throttle body won't really give you that problem.

Yeah, I was just kind of speculating from what I've seen it do, and the limited history I have on it. I planned on checking the IACV when I cleaned the TB.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I picked up a small tub of something similar to Goop but made by Gojo and it worked great! Even got the majority of the stuff stuck under my fingernails with a little coaxing.

Extra plus is it doesn't seem to have lanolin in it like Goop does so I don't have to worry about my roomate's allergies going off if I use the tv remote or something.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Optispark is questionable even when brand new, and it only gets worse.

Doesn't the LT1 have the optispark right below the water pump which tends to leak onto it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

some texas redneck posted:

Friend's father parked his 96 Impala SS about a year ago. It kept tossing random misfire codes, and misses badly when accelerating. Ran smooth at idle and while cruising (it hasn't been started in over a year though).

Aside from the obvious bad gas and battery at this point, what should we start looking at? Has about 90k on it, wires have been replaced, he's not sure if the plugs have ever been done. I was going to do plugs and a fuel filter as a start, though he seems to think there's an issue with the OptiSpark. I don't want to throw parts at it without doing the basics, but I've never touched OptiSpark.

The car was stolen at one point and beat on pretty hard (high speed chase, wrecked, etc), but the misfire didn't develop until quite awhile after it was recovered.

I haven't had my '95 in a long time, but if I learned anything about that car: it's always the optispark.

And yea, it's under and behind the water pump. And it hates heat, water, antifreeze, oil, and life in general.

Replace the water pump, the front main seal, and the vacuum lines that lead to the thing (ventilation if I remember right) as long as you're in there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Parts Kit posted:

I picked up a small tub of something similar to Goop but made by Gojo and it worked great! Even got the majority of the stuff stuck under my fingernails with a little coaxing.

Extra plus is it doesn't seem to have lanolin in it like Goop does so I don't have to worry about my roomate's allergies going off if I use the tv remote or something.

It's kinda nasty on the skin (which is probably the least of your concerns after working on a car) but a teaspoon or so of brake fluid on your hands will cut grease like nothing else. It's thin enough to get everywhere but thick enough to stay around instead of running off like brakleen, so if I have a really nasty layer of dirt/chassis grease/car smegma/assorted sludge on my hands, I'll scrub em off with brake fluid, rinse with water (brake fluid is technically a heavy alcohol, so it's soluble in both polar and nonpolar liquids which is why it works so nicely for this) and then go for a second round with a pumice/citrus cleaner to get rid of what's left and remove the brake fluid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Doesn't the LT1 have the optispark right below the water pump which tends to leak onto it?

Absolutely correct. It also really, really hates water.

If I ever go slightly crazy and buy something with an LT1 in it, I'm either ripping it out for an LS1-or-newer or investigating some form of coil-per-plug setup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok I'll bite: what in the gently caress is optispark, for someone who has never seen an LT-1 in their life?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The distributor from the GenII small-block Chevy. Mounted to the front of the engine and driven off of the timing chain or cam or somewhere along there. But did they just use a standard electronic pickup, or a hall sensor / magnetic pickup? No, they used a light source and a photo sensor watching a trigger wheel with tiny slots. No possible way for that to get gunked up! :pseudo:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/optispark.html#.UtYVYmRDswE for a teardown.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nissan RB30E has the same fundamental design, but they were smart enough to have it sticking out of the head. I can picture this going desperately wrong at the first sign of a leak. Putting it on the front of the motor is just...bizarre.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok this one is annoyingly intermittent, meaning very hard to reproduce for testing.

1962 Studebaker Lark, inline 6 (the car is black). About 5 times now over the last month, I'm driving along and everything turns off. Engine goes off, all lights turn off, radio turns off. Turning the key off and back on does not restore electrics, at least not immediately. However, after sitting for 30 seconds or so, it will all come back.

First time, (about a month ago) I was making a right turn at a light through one of those special yield lanes. Coasted to the side, looked under the hood for anything disconnected, saw nothing, got back in and toggled the key a few times, power came back.

About 1/2 mile down the road that same night, the same thing happened... I think at a stop sign? Pretty much the same situation, except I think the power came back much quicker, after I switched the key a couple times.

This happened one other time at some point between these occurrences and today. I don't remember the exact circumstances.

Tonight, it happened twice more. Slowed down to stop for some people crossing the road, just as I was stopping it shut off. Some pedestrians helped me push it to the side of the road and as soon as we got it into a driveway, the power came back on.

Happened again as I was turning left toward the post office. I got out and started trying to push it out of the road, but it almost immediately powered back up and I drove home.

The first night it happened, I had already driven 40 miles that day on city streets, highways, and freeways. Today, I drove it to work and back; the power losses happened tonight as I was coming back from the store.

Any ideas? I thought it might be the ignition switch, but that's just a guess.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hotwire the car and see if it goes away. I'm being serious. It certainly sounds like an ignition switch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok this one is annoyingly intermittent, meaning very hard to reproduce for testing.

1962 Studebaker Lark, inline 6 (the car is black). About 5 times now over the last month, I'm driving along and everything turns off. Engine goes off, all lights turn off, radio turns off. Turning the key off and back on does not restore electrics, at least not immediately. However, after sitting for 30 seconds or so, it will all come back.

First time, (about a month ago) I was making a right turn at a light through one of those special yield lanes. Coasted to the side, looked under the hood for anything disconnected, saw nothing, got back in and toggled the key a few times, power came back.

About 1/2 mile down the road that same night, the same thing happened... I think at a stop sign? Pretty much the same situation, except I think the power came back much quicker, after I switched the key a couple times.

This happened one other time at some point between these occurrences and today. I don't remember the exact circumstances.

Tonight, it happened twice more. Slowed down to stop for some people crossing the road, just as I was stopping it shut off. Some pedestrians helped me push it to the side of the road and as soon as we got it into a driveway, the power came back on.

Happened again as I was turning left toward the post office. I got out and started trying to push it out of the road, but it almost immediately powered back up and I drove home.

The first night it happened, I had already driven 40 miles that day on city streets, highways, and freeways. Today, I drove it to work and back; the power losses happened tonight as I was coming back from the store.

Any ideas? I thought it might be the ignition switch, but that's just a guess.

I'd check your major fuses and relays - this specifically sounds like a weird relay issue to me.

What's up with the higher than average representation of studebakers on this forum?

e: Maybe it was another post of yours, sorry.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'd check your major fuses and relays - this specifically sounds like a weird relay issue to me.

What's up with the higher than average representation of studebakers on this forum?

Wait, is there another Studebaker owner here? You're sure it wasn't me? I can't help myself from talking about that car all the drat time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need a new spare for my 2002 Audi TT Quattro ALMS, but I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly what I need. Is this something I can just order from Tire Rack?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VelociBacon posted:

e: Maybe it was another post of yours, sorry.

2nding this opinion, I don't know if that car has a main relay of sorts, but if so it sounds like it's having intermittent heat-related failures; once it cools for a bit (from having the power shut off) it rights itself and functions normally.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

The distributor from the GenII small-block Chevy. Mounted to the front of the engine and driven off of the timing chain or cam or somewhere along there. But did they just use a standard electronic pickup, or a hall sensor / magnetic pickup? No, they used a light source and a photo sensor watching a trigger wheel with tiny slots. No possible way for that to get gunked up! :pseudo:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/optispark.html#.UtYVYmRDswE for a teardown.

It's actually the same sensor/trigger wheel used in a lot of Nissans and Mitsubishis. My Altima had the same trigger wheel setup, and it was the only part of the car that didn't give me any grief.

The rest of OptiSpark sounds like a nightmare though. At least Nissan had everything self-contained inside the distributor..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Pham Nuwen posted:

Battery may be shorting internally, per my experience. If you have a spare, swap it in.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'm cleaning out my garage and discovered 2 borked radiators that I never threw away. Is it worth it to take these to a scrap yard/will they even bother for this little? Do scrap yards even take these? Do I need to knock off the plastic end caps if I wind up taking them?

Someone give me the lowdown on scrap yards! Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm cleaning out my garage and discovered 2 borked radiators that I never threw away. Is it worth it to take these to a scrap yard/will they even bother for this little? Do scrap yards even take these? Do I need to knock off the plastic end caps if I wind up taking them?

Someone give me the lowdown on scrap yards! Thanks!

From what car? E: nvm if they're borked just throw them out somewhere. You won't get money for them.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

From what car? E: nvm if they're borked just throw them out somewhere. You won't get money for them.

Er, they certainly WILL pay him for them. Depending on the size and material though it might not be worth the effort though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Er, they certainly WILL pay him for them. Depending on the size and material though it might not be worth the effort though.

For broken radiators? I've thrown out a couple, in my experience they'll only give money for ones with very minimal core damage which is hardly ever the case at least for me.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Ozmiander posted:

One is out of an e46, the other out of a 94 ford Ranger I think. The BMW one is pretty big, the Ranger not so much. I think they're both the standard plastic tank/aluminum core deal.

I'm thinking anything under $10 isn't going to be worth it for me as most of the scrapyards from googling look to be completely across town.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

For broken radiators? I've thrown out a couple, in my experience they'll only give money for ones with very minimal core damage which is hardly ever the case at least for me.

They shouldn't care what kind of shape it's in. They're just going to crush and bale it with all the other s rap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If they're copper/brass, they are worth some pretty good money.

If they're aluminum, not quite as much, but still worth something.

As for the Studebaker issue, that sounds like a lovely battery terminal to me, or ignition switch. There should be like 5 wires on that car, so start at the battery (I assume the headlights will run with the car off... that rules out ignition switch) and poke/wiggle things till you find the one that causes the problem. Check the battery grounding, too, electrons need a way to get back where they came from or they won't leave in the first place.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll nth the ignition switch on the Studebaker - old cars tend to run their full load through the switch itself, not a main relay, so they do tend to wear out and die in crazy ways.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This is a very stupid question. The issue with my car from before after having some issues starting up was simply that my battery was old as hell. A new battery in and my car is running fine. In fact, it feels like its running better than ever. Is this pure placebo? It feels like the car is accelerating slightly better? I mean, granted maybe a new battery in conjunction with the fact that I had just replaced the spark plugs has improved firing or something? I don't know. Just...it feels slightly better to me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Battery won't affect much once the car's running since the alternator outputs all the current to run everything (unless the battery's really fried.) I'd bet most of the performance improvement comes from the fresh spark plugs. Old, worn plugs will have weak or unreliable sparks, which can lead to misfiring and power loss.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll nth the ignition switch on the Studebaker - old cars tend to run their full load through the switch itself, not a main relay, so they do tend to wear out and die in crazy ways.

Ok, I'll see about getting a replacement switch. This happens infrequently enough that I don't want to drive around "hotwiring" it for months to see if it repeats, I'd rather swap in a new switch. Parts availability is pretty good for Studebakers considering everything's been out of production for 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My 1995 diesel passat got stuck in my yard, and getting it out involved some anger-revs, and much vigorous turning of the steering wheel back and forth. The next day, a small 7-inch threaded rod was found right where the car was stuck. It has a nut at one end. I don't know what it is, and can't see anywhere under the car where it may have come from. What is it? The car was driven once since it was stuck but before the rod was found, and didn't seem to behave any differently. I don't know anything about cars. Thanks AI!

• Locked thread