Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I got 2 Dunlop variety packs, and a Jazz III was in there. Of the stiffer picks I gravitate toward that one the most because the point is so sharp. Maybe I need to try a much much thicker pick but really I think the issue I'm having with picks is just that I can't really feel what the pick is doing yet. They have very little sensory feedback unlike fingertips, which is also why the finger picks I got don't do me much good. I imagine that like fingering on the neck, eventually I'll just get a feel for where my pick hand is relative to the strings, I'm just not there yet. Drills drills drills

I don't know if you want a thicker one, especially if you want more tactile feedback, probably just a stiffer one. The Jazz III is pretty thick, but because it's so small you're only really using the tip, and the bulk of it's held in your fingertips so you can feel the pressure when it pivots. How hard you squeeze matters too, a lighter touch will let the pick feel more responsive as it moves.

Knowing where the strings are is definitely a practice thing, it's muscle memory in the end. I play with my hand on the strings mostly (muting the low ones) but obviously that doesn't work for playing anything involving the low E, so you just need to develop some spatial awareness.

I posted an exercise somewhere (maybe the Rocksmith thread) that involves choosing a starting string like the A, picking it, picking the next string (D), picking the first one (A) again, picking the next string out (G), then the first one again, skipping between your start string and every other like this

code:
---------------0-----------------------
-----------0-------0-------------------
-------0---------------0---------------
---0-----------------------0-----------
-0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-----
-------------------------------0-------
You can see the pattern, moving out then back, doing the higher strings and the lower ones, until you've hit every combo. Do that starting on each string, to a metronome click for like 10 minutes solid. Start slow and don't raise your speed until you've done it perfectly, then next practice you can bump it up 1 or 2 bpm. Try with 8th notes (two notes for every beat click, you can play each string twice) and try starting with an upstroke instead of a down. Make sure you're doing alternate picking too - constantly up then down then up... not just down down down down!

Do that and even after one session you'll probably feel more controlled when you start playing some tunes. Think of it as a warmup. It's rad

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone have a Vibramate V7 they don't need and would like to sell?

Is that one of those 'stress relief' devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone have a Vibramate V7 they don't need and would like to sell?

You pansy! Drill, baby, drill!

Are you going to get a roller bridge, or try and make the tune-o-matic work?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've got a V5 if that fits your guitar too. And a knockoff Bisby that's supposed to fit...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
XL Jazz IIIs solve some of the tiny-pick issue.

Someone offered to trade an upgraded PRS SE for my $200 Agile 7 string. Going to check it out tonight.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hey, awesome. Avid released a standalone editor for the 11R today, Windows, OS X systems.
Haven't been able to snag it yet the site's hammered, but go go go.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've convinced myself that I'm going to totally sit down and learn guitar for real this time guys no seriously. I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Special II which is super cheap but functional and I've got a Malden Utopia that I bought off their website a few years back when they were having a closeout sale. The Malden is basically a Jazzmaster knockoff, but I don't really know enough about the brand to say anything about the build quality itself other than it functions fine for my low talent level. I'm kind of curious if any of the more skilled goons have one and their opinion of it.

Anyway, I've restrung the Les Paul recently after pulling that out and finding the strings were so worn and serrated that the high string cut me when I was doing a slide. I'm mulling over restringing the Malden because the strings still seem fine to the touch (though it's been sitting unused for like a year+ so take that for what you will). If I do restring it though, the strings I've got are a fair spot heavier gauge than what's currently on it. My two questions on that then become: Since the Malden uses a floating bridge (at least I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong), how much extra work does that put into restringing it? Also if I'm going heavier on the strings, do I need to worry about adjusting the truss rod or will it be fine so long as I'm not restringing it into something wacky like steel/cobalt strings?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Also if I'm going heavier on the strings, do I need to worry about adjusting the truss rod or will it be fine so long as I'm not restringing it into something wacky like steel/cobalt strings?

It really depends. What's on there now, and what are you intending to go to? If you can find tension data from the string manufacturer, you'd be able to get a sense of how much additional tension you'd be putting on the neck, but then again, you won't know how that tension will affect the neck.

Worst case, just try the new strings out, and if you need a rod adjustment either a). learn how to do that, or b). tune the guitar down a step for the time being.

That Malden Utopia looks pretty neat.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

XL Jazz IIIs solve some of the tiny-pick issue.

Someone offered to trade an upgraded PRS SE for my $200 Agile 7 string. Going to check it out tonight.

Said PRS SE with PRS locking tuners and JB Seymour Duncan in the bridge.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd play the poo poo out of that, good trade

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

FANTASTIC trade, you're coming out way ahead, play the hell out of that thing.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
holy hell I want to play that thing, sexy purple

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

DeathSandwich posted:

I've convinced myself that I'm going to totally sit down and learn guitar for real this time guys no seriously. I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Special II which is super cheap but functional and I've got a Malden Utopia that I bought off their website a few years back when they were having a closeout sale. The Malden is basically a Jazzmaster knockoff, but I don't really know enough about the brand to say anything about the build quality itself other than it functions fine for my low talent level. I'm kind of curious if any of the more skilled goons have one and their opinion of it.

I have a Malden Liquid, same style with different pickups, and I love it. Same build quality as any American Fender.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

HollisBrown posted:

I have a Malden Liquid, same style with different pickups, and I love it. Same build quality as any American Fender.

My Malden Bulldozer is my favorite and most comfortable guitar to play and is built solid, definitely recommended if they're ever stupidly cheap again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sockington posted:

Said PRS SE with PRS locking tuners and JB Seymour Duncan in the bridge.

Trade for this thing and set it up in B standard.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Welp, looks like I own a slightly worked in PRS SE. It was also a trans grey as not trans purple. Slightly disappointed, but gently caress hanging 10lbs from my neck again.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

It was also a trans grey as not trans purple.
So close, and yet so far...

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

So close, and yet so far...

from being a poofter.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Welp, looks like I own a slightly worked in PRS SE. It was also a trans grey as not trans purple. Slightly disappointed, but gently caress hanging 10lbs from my neck again.

What's wrong with it?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's wrong with it?

It wasn't purple.

Edit: \/\/ :v: pics shortly. Just another PRS.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 15, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

It wasn't purple.

That's a plus in my book.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

That's a plus in my book.
A what, a plus entry into the minus column?

You're following me around being mean sir.
First you say you don't like Cookie Monster, now Trans-Purple, what's wrong with you?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

A what, a plus entry into the minus column?

You're following me around being mean sir.
First you say you don't like Cookie Monster, now Trans-Purple, what's wrong with you?

Sunburst, Natural, Butterscotch, Blonde, Olympic white, or GTFO

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

Sunburst, Natural, Butterscotch, Blonde, Olympic white, or GTFO

Oh man, you're really going to hate this. I'll apologize in advance and await a post in the ugly guitar thread, stat.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Eh as far as PRS goes it's pretty unoffensive. That being said I've never seen a PRS that I genuinely thought looked tasteful. I could be proven wrong I'm sure. Point being, I find most of their finishes gaudy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HollisBrown posted:

Eh as far as PRS goes it's pretty unoffensive. That being said I've never seen a PRS that I genuinely thought looked tasteful. I could be proven wrong I'm sure. Point being, I find most of their finishes gaudy.

hey hollis u want to see a picture of my Schecter C-1 Classic that I bought in 2007? biggest vine of life EVER, finish thick enough to repel Galactus, let's do this poo poo

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

hey hollis u want to see a picture of my Schecter C-1 Classic that I bought in 2007? biggest vine of life EVER, finish thick enough to repel Galactus, let's do this poo poo

more than anything

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Pure Class........

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haha all I have with me right now are some of my goofy guitars and my trusty American Delta Tone era Tele (oh, and an old Agile 'cause sometimes I do like hot humbuckers and why not, thing cost like $240 with hardware upgrades and owns bones). My Schecter is still at my pop's house, need to get it and my awesome Japanese CS 22 with the system 1 trem next time we visit. Man I miss that strat...

But I'm sure somewhere there exists a picture of a Schecter C-1 Classic with faux gold hardware, gaudy as can be. It was one of the older Korean models, plays like crazy, but it is an eyesore. I didn't think so in 2007, but tastes change in seven years. :laugh:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I literally only own 3 electrics these days and one is this....

Late 60's Kingston Labeled Tiesco. 1 pickup is all it needs, the perfect slide guitar.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I got 2 Dunlop variety packs, and a Jazz III was in there. Of the stiffer picks I gravitate toward that one the most because the point is so sharp. Maybe I need to try a much much thicker pick but really I think the issue I'm having with picks is just that I can't really feel what the pick is doing yet. They have very little sensory feedback unlike fingertips, which is also why the finger picks I got don't do me much good. I imagine that like fingering on the neck, eventually I'll just get a feel for where my pick hand is relative to the strings, I'm just not there yet. Drills drills drills

Some guy posted this video on picking on reddit yesterday and it pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwpdddKBpQ

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Speaking of that guitar, I need to pot the pickup in it. I work at an arts center and have access to all kinds of stuff what kind of wax should I use?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pfft, look at this sap who doesn't know his tonewaxesTM. :jerkbag:

Someone get on this million dollar snake wax idea.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

Pfft, look at this sap who doesn't know his tonewaxesTM. :jerkbag:

Someone get on this million dollar snake wax idea.

People have made money on dumber ideas.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I potted the lovely-rear end pickups from an Epi LP with regular old paraffin from the grocery store. They still sounded like lovely rear end, but definitely got rid of the microphonics.

e: oxygen-free paraffin.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

People have made money on dumber ideas.

NanoWax* has smaller molecules and fills the cavities of the pickups to absolute capacity. Available in "Creamy Cleans" and "True Grit" blends to cater to your playing styles.

*contains 99% paraffin wax and 1% production debris

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

NanoWax* has smaller molecules and fills the cavities of the pickups to absolute capacity. Available in "Creamy Cleans" and "True Grit" blends to cater to your playing styles.

*contains 99% paraffin wax and 1% production debris

You forgot to include claims that it "sweetens the highs" or "tames harshness" or any other generic unprovable bullshit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That PRS I got makes me pretty happy. The SD sounds pretty good and the stock neck pickup isn't too terrible. Overall I'm very happy with the trade. He ended up asking for a couple bucks his way, which was more than understandable given it was a $200 Agile and the tuners and SD are worth about that. Sounded awesome on the Palomino 32w, so I think it'll take over jam-night duties with the guys. It feels almost weightless on that padded stretch Levys strap.

The belly cut is nice too :blush:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

jwh posted:

You pansy! Drill, baby, drill!

Are you going to get a roller bridge, or try and make the tune-o-matic work?

The ToM has worked fine on my SGs and other Bigsby equipped guitars so I'll just stick with it.

I don't want to drill because I'd like to eventually get a real 54 custom replica or a LP deluxe with p90s/mini hums OR an LP 295/real Florentine. When that option comes up I'll probably get rid of the Tokai.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Out of curiosity more so than actually wanting to buy new kit I probably wouldn't use: What sort of gear would you need to get a sound similar to Freakthickness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
Is it necessary to readjust the neck or anything when putting on heavier strings? I'm going from I think 10-48 to 11-52.