Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is Vinny a loving vaccine nut? This bombcast is hurting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When even Jenny McCarthy bails on something as bullshit you gotta give that a rest.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

cheesetriangles posted:

No

Jesus christ no

Jeff, Brad, please do something. For max

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

KoB posted:

iOS seems to be dropping rapidly as well. Non-F2P Mobile gaming doesnt seem sustainable at the rate its going.

It kinda never was. F2P is king and the big games (Candy Crush + Clash of Clans) are bringing in millions of dollars a day.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

and the psychological techniques leashed to the business model strapped onto it is.

Honestly, this stuff is about as real as chemtrails. If it were true every game would be earning millions and we'd be driving attack helicopters to work.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

cheesetriangles posted:

Tell me it isn't true.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Uh, what?

He went and got a flu shot to protect Max. When Jeff started talking about all the shots he hadn't had, Vinny mentioned he had all of them already.

The only thing he said that was even remotely "vaccine nut" was "yeah, I never figured people between the ages of 20-40 need to get a flu shot, it's more for the young/elderly." which is a pretty common sentiment amongst college students/younger people until they get hit with the flu. But even then he said he started getting them again specifically to protect Max.

Did I zone out on a part of the conversation?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
God that puts my mind at ease.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Vinny is autistic now thanks vaccines.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rookersh posted:

Uh, what?

He went and got a flu shot to protect Max. When Jeff started talking about all the shots he hadn't had, Vinny mentioned he had all of them already.

The only thing he said that was even remotely "vaccine nut" was "yeah, I never figured people between the ages of 20-40 need to get a flu shot, it's more for the young/elderly." which is a pretty common sentiment amongst college students/younger people until they get hit with the flu. But even then he said he started getting them again specifically to protect Max.

Did I zone out on a part of the conversation?

Nope, I just passed that part. Where they were discussing MMR and DTAP, etc. He mentioned Max got his shots. Relax guys. Flu shot not really for toddlers who don't hang around other kids often. Max is like, what, 2 or 3? If he was in preschool, yeah, load him up.

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)

Saint Freak posted:

Vinny is autistic now thanks vaccines.

Please don't joke about that poo poo. Sadly a large number of people still put stock in that idea.
On the upside, the podcast ads have gotten to a state of perfection.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

This whole topic makes me uncomfortable! I am informing you of my uncomfort!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 6, 2015

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Vinny and Jeff don't understand herd immunity.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I think you guys are ignoring the fact that Brad had a bag full of flu injections in his fridge for some reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Optimus Subprime posted:

Vinny and Jeff don't understand herd immunity.

VinCo has a controlling share of Prescott Pharmaceuticals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

randombattle posted:

I think you guys are ignoring the fact that Brad had a bag full of flu injections in his fridge for some reason.

His girlfriend is a nurse so there's some explanation at least.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Goddamn I love the ads they do every week now. I'd listen to a three hour podcast of Vinny and Jeff just shilling for random dumb poo poo.

"It's cold and flu season and you know what that means"
"Brads sick"
"Yea... that is what it means"

"Did you not get my package that had my arm in it?"
"Oh I did and you paid way too much for postage"
"I probably did and I got the flu, what a mess!"

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

His girlfriend is a nurse so there's some explanation at least.

Does it. Does it really though.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

randombattle posted:

Does it. Does it really though.

I don't think it does!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

It kinda never was. F2P is king and the big games (Candy Crush + Clash of Clans) are bringing in millions of dollars a day.

Arguing over sustainability doesn't seem to make sense in this case. Traditional games do make profits, and while F2P games can be vastly more profitable that doesn't make traditional games unsustainable. Plenty of developers out there plain don't want to make F2P games, and plenty of developers are making F2P games and having them bomb miserably.

There's probably some kind of balance that we're working towards, and it's interesting how different the handheld, mobile phone, console and PC markets all are.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah I dunno maybe it's just me but that seems like a dumb development philosophy. There are a jillion F2P games that don't make any money on the IOS store. It's like going back to 2009 days of MMO announcements as everyone chases after WoW numbers. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I'm pretty confident that any IOS F2P game anyone makes now is not going to hit that Clash of Clans/Call of Duty/World of Warcraft level of domination so calling it the big thing and making one just in case you hit that seems like a really stupid business model.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Veib posted:

That was a sale price though, they normally go for $16.99 and $15.99 respectively at the moment. Dimensions launched at $28.99 (it's also a new game made specifically iOS and not a port, and was later ported to Android).

Real talk, Dimensions is pretty worth that if you're into older Final Fantasy games. The Job System and combat are basically "Final Fantasy 5 but harder to absolutely trivialize".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This just in: Banner Saga rules. Broken Age rules.

Kickstarter is alright, you guys :unsmith:

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I really hope we get a QL of Banner Saga.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel like there was already a QL of Banner Saga, and it seemed pretty boring.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FuriousGeorge posted:

I really hope we get a QL of Banner Saga.

They did one of the free-to-play multiplayer version like a year ago -- I hope they revisit the full version with story now, but I kind of doubt they will :(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Are we not going to get a quick look of Broken Age because of some embargo when I can probably go to twitch or youtube and find a bunch of videos?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cheesetriangles posted:

Are we not going to get a quick look of Broken Age because of some embargo when I can probably go to twitch or youtube and find a bunch of videos?

Well, it's not out for non-backers until the 28th, I'd be surprised if they are allowed to do anything with it until then.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

It only went out to backers. So they need a press copy or they cant get it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

They retracted the embargo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cheesetriangles posted:

Embargo was removed as per backer email they sent out earlier today.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Hakkesshu posted:

This just in: Banner Saga rules. Broken Age rules.

Kickstarter is alright, you guys :unsmith:

On a scale of 1 to Final Fantasy Tactics, how much does Banner Saga rule?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh cool. Well, hopefully one of them backed it or they got a press copy then.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Oh yea, since I didn't chip in on the kickstarter, now I need to buy Broken Age. Also, my kickstarter page is full of successful kickstarters. I rock!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dreffen posted:

On a scale of 1 to Final Fantasy Tactics, how much does Banner Saga rule?

I was never a big fan of FFT, but it's probably not as good as that? The combat feels sluggish and doesn't explain itself very well, but I've only played through a few fights, so it's hard to tell. The atmosphere and style kicks rear end, though, and the campaign structure seems super interesting. Shades of King of Dragon Pass, definitely.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

cheesetriangles posted:

I just played 3 hours of it and was incredibly surprised how gorgeous and awesome it was. Maybe i had low expectations going in, but now i wish it'd never end. It's got a lot of that double fine writing and charm i've missed since Psychonauts.

And i disliked every point & click "adventure" i've tried (excluding Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please) in the last decade.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 15, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh cool. Well, hopefully one of them backed it or they got a press copy then.

Brad said he played it last night. Since backer copies only went out today in the afternoon, he's probably got a press copy.

Also, the embargo was just that they asked people to not review it or show video after a certain stage of the game, so you probably could have had a QL even with that in place (which it isn't anymore).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I was never a big fan of FFT, but it's probably not as good as that? The combat feels sluggish and doesn't explain itself very well, but I've only played through a few fights, so it's hard to tell. The atmosphere and style kicks rear end, though, and the campaign structure seems super interesting. Shades of King of Dragon Pass, definitely.

All the stuff I've been reading about it implies that it's the Odin Sphere of tactics games: janky-ish gameplay but beautiful art and engrossing story (IMO). Which is fine with me if the art and lore is that good.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Hakkesshu posted:

I had forgotten about King of Dragon Pass and that game was great. Well, you sold me I think. I wanted to avoid buying a game just for the art style but sounds like something I could get into!

I've actually been pretty pleasantly surprised by kickstarted games like Shadowrun which I contributed to and Wasteland 2 (which I wanted to put money into but didn't have the means at the time). Hopefully Massive Chalice is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I played a bit of Banner Saga: Factions back when they released that.

The gameplay design is beautiful. The combat relies on two main stats: Strength and Armor. Strength is both your health and damage stat, and armor prevents damage done to your Strength; both can be attacked individually. Units have a resource called Willpower that can provide a bonus to movement or damage, and willpower units are generated for your whole team whenever you lose someone. Once things get down to Xv1, your whole team goes before the other guy, speeding up their inevitable demise. There's a lot in the background, like classes and 8 statistics and items and all that, but from years of playing XCOM, Fire Emblem, or FFT, I really love the system they've come up with.

• Locked thread