Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Valkyr would be cool if her ult added a teleport to mob component on melee. DBZ fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ruddha posted:

Valkyr would be cool if her ult added a teleport to mob component on melee. DBZ fighting

Isn't that basically the Ash's ult?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Valkyr is cool and neat but Paralysis sucks and Warcry is only useful for the attack speed buff. She should also get a runspeed bonus while using Hysteria.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Echophonic posted:

Isn't that basically the Ash's ult?

Yeah, it'd bring it in line a bit with other (bad) ults that look cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd settle for just removing that awful red-orange visual filter when you ult as Valkyr.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Sandweed posted:

What you kill a enemy with gets all the XP for that kill, sidearm kills fuels your sidearm, frame/sentinel fuels your frame ect. If you pop MPrime on a gazilion enemies and get tons of XP all of it go to your frame, regardless of it's level, with zero XP going to your weapons.

If another player kills something you get a nice 25% spread of that XP on all your items.

Actually, the exp get divided like this:

Someone else kills something: 25% frame, 25% primary, 25% secondary, 25% melee
You kill with primary: 50% frame, 50% primary
You kill with secondary: 50% frame, 50% secondary
You kill with melee: 50% frame, 50% melee
You kill with frame power: 100% frame

The best way to level multiple things is to have someone else bring a nova and just watch them vaporize poo poo.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Mechanics

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Please don't forget that Hysteria is also super unsatisfying to use for these reasons as well

1) Doesn't feel strong. You're hulking out and enemies aren't ragdolling or gibbing just falling down awkwardly. Lame

2) The animations for the punches feel stiff as hell, but without impact of any kind. Lame again.

3) She literally moves at the same walk speed as Grineer so you can endlessly have them dodge your punches just by walking backwards. Stupid.

4) No charge attack. What?

5) Everything else everyone said.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If they remove some of the horrible janky vault animations, reduce the frame count by like half, it could open up mobility builds for frames and she could excel. There's no reason vaulting over something should take 2-3 times longer than just plain jumping.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ruddha posted:

Yeah, it'd bring it in line a bit with other (bad) ults that look cool.

Ash's ult is awesome, you shut your dirty mouth.

Everyone should make an Ash. drat fun frame.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Don't mistake me, I play almost solely ash, and his ult looks cool as hell and has its uses, it's just comparatively really bad when you look at room clearers and such.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just started the parts builds for my Ash. After messing with the Loki, I'm looking forward to trying another really mobile frame. I usually play more support, like Nyx, Vauban or Nova. The latter is pretty quick, but nothing like the Loki.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Valkyr's ult is better than Ash's because you can actually do things, like attack the enemies on the defend target instead of the other side of the room, or break a path through some tough enemies and draw fire so your dumb pubbie teammates don't die.

You can also use Paralysis during Valkyr's ult to blow up Ospreys and such.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Fuzz posted:

Making an Ash is what made me stop playing. That and when they dropped the skill tree for the mod system. Came back a week ago or so though, having a lot of fun with Mag pulling everything.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
What is the warframe ability that creates a dozen decoy-like dudes, each one clinging to a different enemy? They generally all show up at once as far as I can tell, so it doesn't sound like the way Molt is described...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

sleeptalker posted:

Valkyr's ult is better than Ash's because you can actually do things, like attack the enemies on the defend target instead of the other side of the room, or break a path through some tough enemies and draw fire so your dumb pubbie teammates don't die.

You can also use Paralysis during Valkyr's ult to blow up Ospreys and such.

If goon chat has taught me anything, it's that Valkyr's ultimate is the best worst terribly good thing in the game.

Seriously, every goon has an opinion on it. Every opinion is vehement. And every goon will die on the ground they chose before conceding defeat when it comes to that frame.

It's bizarre.

Edit: For what it's worth, i've seen one or two seriously OP Valkyrs. One of them was the last one standing in a high level survival mission and literally walked to the exit point. And by walked, I mean they literally strolled through a (constantly stacked up) horde of enemies, slaughtering them with their fists to keep adding time to the life support timer.

It was pretty impressive. Especially since they took time out to open up lockers while being shot at. For as crazy as my Nova's ultimate is, I couldn't do something like that without a huge energy reserve. And even then, I couldn't literally ignore the enemies.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 14, 2014

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Echophonic posted:

I usually play more support, like Nova.

I get that Nova has teleport but I'd hardly call M-Prime "support"

Echophonic posted:

The latter is pretty quick, but nothing like the Loki.

Pretty sure Nova is second fastest to Loki so temper your expectations, I suppose.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Thranguy posted:

What is the warframe ability that creates a dozen decoy-like dudes, each one clinging to a different enemy? They generally all show up at once as far as I can tell, so it doesn't sound like the way Molt is described...

That's Chaos. After a few seconds of staring at the wall dumbfounded the enemies will start shooting eachother.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't really understand the point of Nyx and crowd control abilities like Chaos. Why spend that energy making them kill each other slowly (also for no exp if they do eventually do it) when you could be spending similar or lesser amounts of energy killing them all instantly with a different frame?

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't really understand the point of Nyx and crowd control abilities like Chaos. Why spend that energy making them kill each other slowly (also for no exp if they do eventually do it) when you could be spending similar or lesser amounts of energy killing them all instantly with a different frame?

a lot of nyx's utility comes from really high level end-game stuff where you can't just mash 4 to murder everything on the map. considering this means like, 40+ minute survival and like wave 30+ endgame defense, it doesn't come up all that often but like ~hardcore warframers~ will continue to talk about how awesome chaos is (to be fair it is really awesome for that)

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

Room clearing ults don't instakill things at a very high level, so those wave 40+ enemies will keep shooting at you/the cryopod and you will die. Chaos never loses effectiveness and stops everyone from trying to kill you.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I get that Nova has teleport but I'd hardly call M-Prime "support"

Pretty sure Nova is second fastest to Loki so temper your expectations, I suppose.

Fair enough, the Nova's a pretty offensive and fast frame. I mean, my favorite frame is probably my Chaos-focused Nyx, so anything more active than that is fine by me. I've just been running the Nova to make my Void runs less painful.

My Vauban or Frost Prime would do the same thing, just with fewer explosions and a lot slower. I was mostly just referring to frames that are better on the outskirts of combat making everyone else's life easy, as compared to the Rhino/Excal/Ember who do best in the thick of things.

I can't like the Ash less than the Excalibur, Mag, or Ember, really.

I really hope they do a Nyx Prime, I could probably be persuaded to do Prime Access for that.

Washin Tong posted:

Room clearing ults don't instakill things at a very high level, so those wave 40+ enemies will keep shooting at you/the cryopod and you will die. Chaos never loses effectiveness and stops everyone from trying to kill you.

THis really can't be stressed enough. I don't even bother with Absorb, since making that better takes away from my range or duration for Chaos. I may trade duration for efficiency, though, since you'll get situations where you'll have one guy left with Chaos on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The support frames would be Frost and Trinity (probably Banshee too but I have yet to play that frame). Frost sets up defensive snow globes and Trinity is essentially a white mage. Your teammates will like you as a Trinity especially if you have a max duration build but it's not the most fun frame since it doesn't have a room clearing ultimate like Rhino, Mag or Nova.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One thing to be careful with with Chaos is that it doesn't exactly keep enemies from attacking you (or a defense objective). They just attack the closest thing. Which could be you, another mob, another player, or the defense objective. True, it greatly reduces the amount of incoming fire, but it doesn't completely eliminate it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

seiferguy posted:

The support frames would be Frost and Trinity (probably Banshee too but I have yet to play that frame). Frost sets up defensive snow globes and Trinity is essentially a white mage. Your teammates will like you as a Trinity especially if you have a max duration build but it's not the most fun frame since it doesn't have a room clearing ultimate like Rhino, Mag or Nova.

Trinity's room clearing ability is running around like a clown shooting rockets at your feet while you're invincible. You'll kill yourself sooner or later but it's worth it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

seiferguy posted:

An alternate would be Oberon, since he can heal and put down area semi-denial, with a decent ultimate. Nothing beats a fully maxxed duration trinity's blessing, but Oberon ends up being a bit more fun for the player, I think.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm still early in the game (just got to the Corpus missions), but I'm having issues with running out of ammo on my Braton pretty quickly and the ammo pickups aren't enough to keep up. I'm still using the Lato and Skana for my other weapons, should I upgrade them so that I can actually kill things once I run out of rifle ammo?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

ihatepants posted:

I'm still early in the game (just got to the Corpus missions), but I'm having issues with running out of ammo on my Braton pretty quickly and the ammo pickups aren't enough to keep up. I'm still using the Lato and Skana for my other weapons, should I upgrade them so that I can actually kill things once I run out of rifle ammo?

You "upgrade" weapons by using them and then slotting mods in them, so yes, continue to use those weapons. Don't forget to upgrade them with mods, too.
Try to accrue 30K credits to buy the Strun or regular Braton (I assume you only have the MK1 Braton, which is awful). If you're looking for further weapons, there are several lower-end weapons you can buy on the market for credits, so grab those.
If you want to start trying your hand at resource-gathering to craft something, buy an Orthos blueprint and start working towards that.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Weremacht posted:

a lot of nyx's utility comes from really high level end-game stuff where you can't just mash 4 to murder everything on the map. considering this means like, 40+ minute survival and like wave 30+ endgame defense, it doesn't come up all that often but like ~hardcore warframers~ will continue to talk about how awesome chaos is (to be fair it is really awesome for that)

Yea, she really isn't a worthwhile/fun frame on easier stuff, but good lord does she make the higher level stuff a ton easier. You can pretty easily keep chaos up at all times in a high level defense mission, on stuff in a huge radius. My friend and I often duo and have cleared defense levels high enough level that it takes like a minute to kill tougher mobs because they all just dick around fighting each other. Absorb is probably really good for damage later on too since it scales off damage taken, I just tend to go the easy route and make everything stand around for 20 seconds.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

SilentW posted:

You "upgrade" weapons by using them and then slotting mods in them, so yes, continue to use those weapons. Don't forget to upgrade them with mods, too.
Try to accrue 30K credits to buy the Strun or regular Braton (I assume you only have the MK1 Braton, which is awful). If you're looking for further weapons, there are several lower-end weapons you can buy on the market for credits, so grab those.
If you want to start trying your hand at resource-gathering to craft something, buy an Orthos blueprint and start working towards that.

To expand on this a little more, mods aren't consumed by putting them in stuff. They can even be in multiple weapons at the same time (which causes some of its own dumb issues, but still is mostly great).

Also, the strun costs 75k now, so it's not exactly a good choice for a beginner anymore. If you're saving up 75k, you'd be better off working towards a sentinel (carrier is really good) at 100k.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

SilentW posted:

pyromance posted:

To expand on this a little more, mods aren't consumed by putting them in stuff. They can even be in multiple weapons at the same time (which causes some of its own dumb issues, but still is mostly great).

Also, the strun costs 75k now, so it's not exactly a good choice for a beginner anymore. If you're saving up 75k, you'd be better off working towards a sentinel (carrier is really good) at 100k.

Thank you! I had already bought the regular Braton, but I hadn't been putting mods in my equipment because I thought they were consumed or locked in/permanent. I wasn't able to buy a catalystfor the Braton just yet, though. Do I need to repurchase it so that I can get its capacity up when leveling it?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't advise putting a catalyst on the Braton. It's just not strong enough o a gun to justify it.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

ihatepants posted:

Thank you! I had already bought the regular Braton, but I hadn't been putting mods in my equipment because I thought they were consumed or locked in/permanent. I wasn't able to buy a catalystfor the Braton just yet, though. Do I need to repurchase it so that I can get its capacity up when leveling it?

Do not potato any of the lower-tier weapons unless you are rolling in plat. Buy slots. Buy all the slots.
Keep every gun, level it to 30, get mastery, get more guns unlocked by mastery, repeat. Yes, even that lovely MK1 Braton is gonna have to go to 30. Suck it up, go play Apollodorus to farm Plastids or something.

pyromance posted:

Also, the strun costs 75k now, so it's not exactly a good choice for a beginner anymore.

WHAT THE gently caress. 75K? Thanks a lot DE, now there are literally no low-tier weapons any more.

SilentW fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 15, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They add a new weapon every week with over 100 weapons in the game now, and somehow there's still only like 2 guns that we can actually tell newbies to get without them needing to wait for another 10 hours. DE should really start thinking hard about what their direction is doing for newcomers (or to be more accurate, what it isn't)

quote:

Yes, even that lovely MK1 Braton is gonna have to go to 30.

No, it isn't. There's no reason to make yourself do unfun things like this because mastery means absolutely nothing once you have enough to get all the weapons, and there's more than enough fun weapons and characters to get you there without having to waste time.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They add a new weapon every week with over 100 weapons in the game now, and somehow there's still only like 2 guns that we can actually tell newbies to get without them needing to wait for another 10 hours. DE should really start thinking hard about what their direction is doing for newcomers (or to be more accurate, what it isn't)

No, it isn't. There's no reason to make yourself do unfun things like this because mastery means absolutely nothing once you have enough to get all the weapons, and there's more than enough fun weapons and characters to get you there without having to waste time.

Part of their direction for newcomers should probably involve giving out redirection for killing Vor and Serration for killing the Jackal, because jesus gently caress those are stupidly rare for how vital they are for actually enjoying the game. You know what's not going to keep people playing the game? Unloading entire clips of their weapon into a heavy grineer or having 75 shields on their Loki.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

It'd be really helpful if Serration dropped from Butchers instead of (or in addition to) Scorpions, and it'd be a minuscule change, too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I (and most likely many others) have several extra Serrations floating around, so if you're starting out and are in a guild, ask for Serration (or Hornet Strike or Redirection). You can't trade until mastery 2, but that's really fast to do.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

pyromance posted:

Part of their direction for newcomers should probably involve giving out redirection for killing Vor and Serration for killing the Jackal, because jesus gently caress those are stupidly rare for how vital they are for actually enjoying the game. You know what's not going to keep people playing the game? Unloading entire clips of their weapon into a heavy grineer or having 75 shields on their Loki.

On PS4 you get Redirection during the tutorial, every time as far as I can see.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BitBasher posted:

On PS4 you get Redirection during the tutorial, every time as far as I can see.

I didn't, I got a Vitality and a Fast Recharge, as I recall. Took several missions before a Redirection dropped, which was quite the pain when you're playing a low level Loki that can't spend entire missions invisible, let me tell you.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fuzz posted:

I didn't, I got a Vitality and a Fast Recharge, as I recall. Took several missions before a Redirection dropped, which was quite the pain when you're playing a low level Loki that can't spend entire missions invisible, let me tell you.

Wow, really? I have 4 friends that play and every one of us got a Redirection before we left the first tutorial and jumped through the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's a good gun to try to get after the Breton (non- Mk1)? I'm using primarily Loki and I'm on the Venus/Earth section.