Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MrSaturn posted:

I recently bought a himalayan salt block, mostly out of curiosity, and I'm looking for some tips on cooking indoors with it. I don't have access to a grill, and I've got an electric range, so I'm limited to heating the thing in my oven.

The first time I used it, I heated it up very slowly, starting at ~200 degrees and increasing gradually to 400 over a couple hours. Cooked up some thinly sliced ribeye really nicely, but it got cold quickly. The second time, I kept it in the oven for nearly 2 hours at 400 degrees, and then 30 minutes at 450 degrees, and it still didn't seem to stay very hot!

I had figured it cooled quickly the first time due to the fact that I put it in a cookie sheet, and that on my granite countertop, which I figured was acting as a heat sink. The second time, I put it on the cookie sheet, and then put that on a small wooden cutting board. It still wasn't very hot, in my opinion. I was barely able to cook on it for 10 minutes before it wasn't appreciably hot (no sizzling of any sort when I dropped some squash on it).

Salt block heroes: how do you heat your blocks indoors, and keep them hot? What should I try cooking? So far I seem to really love squash, and the ribeye wasn't bad.

I've never cooked on salt before but remember that heating something is asymptotic. If you want it to heat up to 400 F it will never actually get there in a realistic amount of time in a 400 F oven and it won't get there very fast in a 450 F oven. 400 F isnt very sizzly anyway. I would put it under the broiler or directly on a burner. Again, I've never cooked on salt so I don't know if that would crack it or whatever, but based on thermodynamics I would try that.

Edit: some youtubing suggests you preheat it in the oven then transfer to the burner and heat it further. Do the eventual cooking on the burner as well.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just throw it on the stovetop like a frying pan. Watch the heat

http://www.saltnews.com/heating-using-cleaning-storing-your-himalayan-salt-block/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'd like to blow some money that I don't really have on some homeless people around me. How can I give them the most in a easy way thats easy to give to them? Its cold out here! Just sandwiches?

my plan is just buy a few loafs of bread, some cheese and some meat. better ideas? I'm just really tired of giving out a few bucks here and there and thought I could spend a night going around with some sandwiches

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 14, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'd like to blow some money that I don't really have on some homeless people around me. How can I give them the most in a easy way thats easy to give to them? Its cold out here! Just sandwiches?

my plan is just buy a few loafs of bread, some cheese and some meat. better ideas? I'm just really tired of giving out a few bucks here and there and thought I could spend a night going around with some sandwiches
Give to a local charity. Or do volunteer work for one. They'll know all the details that random people in a food forum on the internet will not.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Not to mention there's no telling if they have food allergies or aversions and stuff. Help out an organization that does this every day.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Agreed with the above. Plus, they can buy their food in bulk at wholesale prices and feed more people per dollar. If you really want to get into handing people food personally, they probably would love to have another set of hands to serve.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Plus_Infinity posted:

What do you guys like to do with daikon other than pickle it?

It's a really delicious addition to soup. I like potatoes, daikon, savoy cabbage, carrots, grated ginger, and mushrooms, all diced up into even little pieces. Cook the potatoes in water until half cooked, then add the daikon and carrots. Let them cook until mostly tender, and add the ginger and cabbage. Sauté mushrooms in a little oil, and dump into your pot of soup. Once that's all sorted, dump in a bit of miso paste to taste, a few drops of sesame oil, and salt. Cracked black pepper is good too.

If you want a more Indian~ish thing, do the same, but add a few fenugreek seeds at the beginning of the process along with the potatoes. Let the whole thing cook as normal. At the end, add either freshly grated coconut, or coconut milk. Skip the miso. Instead, heat up a small pot with some oil, and pop some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds. Add a bit of turmeric, and some diced onions. Cook until the onions are browned, and dump that into the soup pot. Let the whole works boil for about a minute, and adjust seasoning with salt.

I love daikon stir-fried with some peanut oil, with a bit of miso paste at the end. It's really simple, and really tasty. It's also quite good when it's steamed, tossed in some sesame oil, sesame seeds (lightly crushed), and red pepper flakes.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

dino. posted:

It's a really delicious addition to soup. I like potatoes, daikon, savoy cabbage, carrots, grated ginger, and mushrooms, all diced up into even little pieces. Cook the potatoes in water until half cooked, then add the daikon and carrots. Let them cook until mostly tender, and add the ginger and cabbage. Sauté mushrooms in a little oil, and dump into your pot of soup. Once that's all sorted, dump in a bit of miso paste to taste, a few drops of sesame oil, and salt. Cracked black pepper is good too.

If you want a more Indian~ish thing, do the same, but add a few fenugreek seeds at the beginning of the process along with the potatoes. Let the whole thing cook as normal. At the end, add either freshly grated coconut, or coconut milk. Skip the miso. Instead, heat up a small pot with some oil, and pop some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds. Add a bit of turmeric, and some diced onions. Cook until the onions are browned, and dump that into the soup pot. Let the whole works boil for about a minute, and adjust seasoning with salt.

I love daikon stir-fried with some peanut oil, with a bit of miso paste at the end. It's really simple, and really tasty. It's also quite good when it's steamed, tossed in some sesame oil, sesame seeds (lightly crushed), and red pepper flakes.

Thank you! Those are all really good suggestions!

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Is corn pudding casserole an abomination? :ohdear:

I'd like to make one for the goodness of warm sweet corn cake and savory extras, but I think the recipes I've followed before are not too creative. One recipe called for adding mashed squash to the pudding mixture, then pouring it on top of onions and ground sausage, which was nice but probably could've had more effort than gaining spice flavors from the spicy sausage I picked out.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I am a first year hunter and recently caught my first deer and some geese and ducks. All the animals are now resting happily in my freezer awaiting their cooking days. I am looking for a good recipe for 2 goose breast that have already been put in salty water for 24 hours and washed down. Most of the goose recipes I've found online are for store bought goose or whole goose.

One of my friends from work said to soak it in Worcestershire sauce for 24 hours then butterfly it and stuff it with cream cheese and jalapeno then wrap it in bacon and cook it low and slow for about an hour until it was done medium.

While this sounds fantastic I'm looking for a recipe to still taste the meat this sounds mostly like salt with some heat mixed in it. Any ideas for this fresh caught game? Also who knew freshly killed geese resembled old steak?!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What are some good mexican vegetable sides? I'm trying to make a better effort at having more veggies with every meal and mexican cuisine is usually lacking when it comes to this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

What are some good mexican vegetable sides? I'm trying to make a better effort at having more veggies with every meal and mexican cuisine is usually lacking when it comes to this.

You didn't say it had to be healthy!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My wife described something to me that she grew up eating that she just called "Texas Style Hominy". Does anyone know what this could be and how I could make it? I have some dried peruvian hominy I was thinking of using. I've never cooked dried hominy before. Do I just boil it? Does it need a soak? Can I pressure cook it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Haha, I already have it bookmarked. I'd be all over that if it were summer :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

My wife described something to me that she grew up eating that she just called "Texas Style Hominy". Does anyone know what this could be and how I could make it? I have some dried peruvian hominy I was thinking of using. I've never cooked dried hominy before. Do I just boil it? Does it need a soak? Can I pressure cook it?

Isn't it just boiled hominy served with butter? Sometimes with chiles and tomatoes?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Isn't it just boiled hominy served with butter? Sometimes with chiles and tomatoes?

Depends. Kraft seems to have what looks like a pretty horrible recipe up in their community:

quote:

what you need
2 cans (13 ounces each) white hominy (yellow is fine too)
3 Tablespoons grated onions
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Salt, to taste
2 1/2 cups Colby/jack shredded cheese
2 cans (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
make it 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Mix all the ingredients together and pour into an ovenproof casserole dish.

3. Bake for 30 minutes. Notes Add a crunchy topping by adding crushed Frito Lay Fritos to the top, about 10 minutes before baking time is complete.
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/community/recipe-exchange/texas-style-hominy-130328.aspx

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Minclark posted:

I am a first year hunter and recently caught my first deer and some geese and ducks. All the animals are now resting happily in my freezer awaiting their cooking days. I am looking for a good recipe for 2 goose breast that have already been put in salty water for 24 hours and washed down. Most of the goose recipes I've found online are for store bought goose or whole goose.

One of my friends from work said to soak it in Worcestershire sauce for 24 hours then butterfly it and stuff it with cream cheese and jalapeno then wrap it in bacon and cook it low and slow for about an hour until it was done medium.

While this sounds fantastic I'm looking for a recipe to still taste the meat this sounds mostly like salt with some heat mixed in it. Any ideas for this fresh caught game? Also who knew freshly killed geese resembled old steak?!

Whenever I have fresh game and no inspiration, I always check out http://honest-food.net/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yes, yes, and yes. Approach rehydrating dried hominy the way you'd approach rehydrating dried beans. I'd be willing to be proven wrong here---I haven't done any extensive a-b experimental investigation here---but there isn't, so far as I know, any magic to a particular process.

That said, I'd save dried hominy to make grits, tortillas, or whatever, and just get canned hominy to make a `wet' hominy dish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can soak your hominy overnight in the fridge and drain it the next day. Texas style is with sauteed onions, sour cream, green chiles and monterey jack added.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Breaky posted:

You can soak your hominy overnight in the fridge and drain it the next day. Texas style is with sauteed onions, sour cream, green chiles and monterey jack added.

drat, that sounds pretty good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stringent posted:

drat, that sounds pretty good.

To be fair (insert any here) is probably pretty good with onions, sour cream, chiles and jack :laffo:

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Whenever I have fresh game and no inspiration, I always check out http://honest-food.net/

This is exactly what I was looking for! Have you by chance used their books and know if they are nay good?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Minclark posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Have you by chance used their books and know if they are nay good?

I haven't used any of his books. I have met him twice now though, and he is a real cool dude.

I've thumbed through Hunt, Gather, Cook at the store before, and if you want to get into that sort of thing it is pretty nice.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I finally got a pressure cooker that I have always wanted and now I need to figure out yummy things to make in it, I tried a risotto tonight and that came out pretty tasty. Has anybody cooked beef heart in one before or has any good recipes or web sites that you love for pressure cooker goodness?

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Rythe posted:

So I finally got a pressure cooker that I have always wanted and now I need to figure out yummy things to make in it, I tried a risotto tonight and that came out pretty tasty. Has anybody cooked beef heart in one before or has any good recipes or web sites that you love for pressure cooker goodness?

I had a buddy who made a beef tongue with a pork shoulder in a slow cooker with some onions in there. It tasted and had the texture of a hotdog when it was finished. I was contemplating doing the same thing to a beef heart. I think the pressure cooker just reduces the amount of time it takes to cook right? If you find anything good or decide on something let me know how it turns out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Craving borscht. Preferably vegan. Any recipe ideas before I go all Slavic grandmother and toss beets in a pot with whatever the gently caress is in the larder and potatoes like I usually do?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I just made borscht this past week. It is beef but you can make it vegetarian by skipping the beef stock part and using veggie stock and vegan by using oil instead of butter. I've made it vegetarian before and it is great. This borscht had the veg chopped up in larger chunks rather than grated but you could grate it too.

1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped medium
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 quarts beef stock
4-6 tablespoons lemon juice or red wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
bay leaf
2-4 tablespoons sugar to taste
2 lbs beets, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
Optionally, more onions, chopped into larger pieces
3/4 cup chopped dill + more for garnish
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Beef from the beef stock, shredded
5 cups shredded cabbage

Sour cream

(The day before simmer some beef shanks with onion, celery, carrot to make 2 quarts of beef stock. Reserve the meat and shred or chop up)

1. Heat butter over medium heat and soften onions, 5-7 minutes

2. Add garlic and stir until aromatic

3. Add tomato paste and let brown

4. Stir in beef stock slowly to dissolve the tomato paste and bring to a simmer

5. Stir in lemon juice/vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf

6. Add beets, carrots, and potatoes, more onions if using, chopping each item and adding sequentially. Then add in 1/2 cup dill and 1/4 cup parsley. Simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until beets are tender to your liking. At some point in process add the beef

7. Add cabbage, 1/4 cup dill and parsley, simmer another 15 minutes or so until cabbage is tender.

8. Remove bay leaf. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, more lemon juice/vinegar if needed.

9. Serve topped with sour cream and chopped dill

Edit: after reading your post again that is probably similar to what you usually do :p

mich fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 15, 2014

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I hosed up recently when cutting up chicken breast and freezing for future use. I've got a breast worth of cubed chunks now. Can't think of anything other than to cube em further for a caeser salad or bread crumb them. Any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pot pie?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
That sounds great actually thanks.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

mich posted:

I just made borscht this past week. It is beef but you can make it vegetarian by skipping the beef stock part and using veggie stock and vegan by using oil instead of butter. I've made it vegetarian before and it is great. This borscht had the veg chopped up in larger chunks rather than grated but you could grate it too.

1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped medium
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 quarts beef stock
4-6 tablespoons lemon juice or red wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
bay leaf
2-4 tablespoons sugar to taste
2 lbs beets, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
Optionally, more onions, chopped into larger pieces
3/4 cup chopped dill + more for garnish
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Beef from the beef stock, shredded
5 cups shredded cabbage

Sour cream

(The day before simmer some beef shanks with onion, celery, carrot to make 2 quarts of beef stock. Reserve the meat and shred or chop up)

1. Heat butter over medium heat and soften onions, 5-7 minutes

2. Add garlic and stir until aromatic

3. Add tomato paste and let brown

4. Stir in beef stock slowly to dissolve the tomato paste and bring to a simmer

5. Stir in lemon juice/vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf

6. Add beets, carrots, and potatoes, more onions if using, chopping each item and adding sequentially. Then add in 1/2 cup dill and 1/4 cup parsley. Simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until beets are tender to your liking. At some point in process add the beef

7. Add cabbage, 1/4 cup dill and parsley, simmer another 15 minutes or so until cabbage is tender.

8. Remove bay leaf. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, more lemon juice/vinegar if needed.

9. Serve topped with sour cream and chopped dill

Edit: after reading your post again that is probably similar to what you usually do :p

Sounds like a very solid recipe. Got a good one for white borscht??

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Im looking for a link or just a quick recipe for preparing about 2 dozen oysters for a dinner. Have never really done oysters before but If anyone could link me what they consider a good recipe for Oysters Rockefeller I would be grateful.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

mich posted:

Thanks :) It is similar, but I've never used tomato or lemon juice and will give them a try. I have always used whatever vinegar I have handiest/feel like using and never thought to use tomato paste despite all the people I see use catsup.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Sounds like a very solid recipe. Got a good one for white borscht??

Sorry, I've never even had white borscht!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Minclark posted:

I'm way too late with this but that sounds pretty bad. Well-cooked goose tastes like dog food and there's a whole lot of elements going on there. Soaking in Worcerstershire is good. I'd just pat it dry and grill it medium, slice against the grain, and put it in a tortilla with jalapeno and whatnot.

Last time I had a wild goose breast I just hit it with a dry rub and grilled it medium. It was okay, but now I know I'm not really wild about goose.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Casu Marzu posted:

I haven't used any of his books. I have met him twice now though, and he is a real cool dude.

I've thumbed through Hunt, Gather, Cook at the store before, and if you want to get into that sort of thing it is pretty nice.

His smoked mussels look like sex.

http://honest-food.net/2013/12/16/smoked-mussels-recipe/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah goose isn't very good. I don't know why it seems to have an exotic appeal these days, but in A Christmas Carol, all Tiny Tim wanted for Christmas was a turkey, but all they could afford was goose. Well that, and not dying. And turkey sucks.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also, "eating crow" is an expression for a reason. Crow is fuckin gross.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Goose different from duck? I had duck and it was really yummy, and kind of tasted like red meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pr0k posted:

Also, "eating crow" is an expression for a reason. Crow is fuckin gross.

Crow isn't the worst.

Edit: Wild goose isn't great. Farmed goose is alright.