Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

WampaLord posted:

I'm not sure if you're so high that you forgot where you're posting, but you just posted this statement in the weed legalization thread. The entire loving argument of this thread is that weed shouldn't be a crime.

Quit while you're behind.

...sigh

So just because you think something should not be legal means you can just ignore that it is? I wish weed and all drugs were legal, but they aren't. Just because you support legalization does not mean you have to be an ignorant stoner who hates the man, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Who's ignoring that weed is illegal, what in the actual gently caress are you going on about?

What is your argument here? Weed is still illegal, we all know this.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Who's ignoring that weed is illegal, what in the actual gently caress are you going on about?

What is your argument here? Weed is still illegal, we all know this.

His entire argument started with "You can't say weed prohibition is immoral! A lot of people disagree!"

So he basically doesn't have one.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

thefncrow posted:

His entire argument started with "You can't say weed prohibition is immoral! A lot of people disagree!"

So he basically doesn't have one.

Well considering that is not what I am talking about right now, that is not my argument.

I was merely responding to all the race discussion. People always talk about the bias in court, that black males are given much harsher sentences and such. That is a problem, we all know it is. The bigger problem is that you are actually getting arrested in the first place. Work on fixing the actual problem, not the middle man.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

goodness posted:

I was merely responding to all the race discussion. People always talk about the bias in court, that black males are given much harsher sentences and such. That is a problem, we all know it is. The bigger problem is that you are actually getting arrested in the first place. Work on fixing the actual problem, not the middle man.

"The actual problem" isn't people being arrested, it's the laws that prohibit possession of marijuana. You know, the topic of this thread.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

goodness posted:

The bigger problem is that you are actually getting arrested in the first place. Work on fixing the actual problem, not the middle man.

:ughh:

So you think it's only the courts that are biased and not the police who actually arrest people? That's naive as gently caress.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KingEup posted:

Except for the fact that the persecution of people for having a different drug preference has resulted in more African American men being jailed than were slaves before the start of the Civil War. Expect for the fact that 1 in 4 black men will spend time in jail. Expect for the fact that 1 in 15 black men are behind bars at any one time. Except for the fact that drug prohibition is one of main methods that black men are deprived of the right to vote.

Except that YOU were the one saying that the drug prohibition is just as bad or worse than racism. I'm saying that comparing the two as if they are equal is disgusting, racism has caused far more suffering through history than the drug prohibition in america has!

KingEup posted:

The scale of immorality is staggering. The fact that you don't consider this highly immoral or comparable to other atrocities is telling - some people have come to believe that persecution during the war on drugs isn't all that bad. Either that or they're just plain ignorant.

Of course I consider the drug war highly immoral, just not nearly as immoral as racism! God drat you are dense.

KingEup posted:

Before you embarrass yourself any further, do some reading:

Before you embarrass yourself any further, read what I loving said and not what you loving imagined I said.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

WampaLord posted:

:ughh:

So you think it's only the courts that are biased and not the police who actually arrest people? That's naive as gently caress.

Nope, I don't think that.

thefncrow posted:

"The actual problem" isn't people being arrested, it's the laws that prohibit possession of marijuana. You know, the topic of this thread.

That is the problem I am talking about..I did not know I had to actually type out everything, some things are implied. Yes, the problem is that there are laws that loving suck. Everybody in the country knows that marijuana should be 100% legal, they are just being ignorant or stubborn.

But! While it is still legal, just be careful and don't do stupid poo poo. Don't drive around with drugs if you are not sober or suck at driving. Don't put yourself into a situation where there is an actual risk of being arrested.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

goodness posted:

Well considering that is not what I am talking about right now, that is not my argument.

Trying to get people to stop committing victimless crimes is a fool's errand, the law is unjust and everyone knows it, nothing you can possibly do can stop people from breaking it.

I would compare the current situation with drug laws in some ways with the situation with gay rights in the 50s and 60s (yes I know it's not a perfect analogy but bear with me). The government declared an all out war on gays and did everything possible to suppress them, did this stop gays from having sex? No, it didn't at all, the result was tons of arrests and tons of lives ruined. Ironically enough the oppression eventually forced the gays out of the closet and they started fighting back.

It didn't work because you're trying to work directly against human nature, the notion that you should respect the law because it's the law is a fantasy, that's not how it works in real life. If people think laws are unjust they will break them, no amount of heavy handedness from a government can change this.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

goodness posted:

But! While it is still legal, just be careful and don't do stupid poo poo. Don't drive around with drugs if you are not sober or suck at driving. Don't put yourself into a situation where there is an actual risk of being arrested.

Let's see, which one of these two goals is easier to accomplish?

1. Change the behavior pattern of drug-using minorities as a whole to be substantially more careful about their drug use, even though they probably already are a lot more careful because they know they're a target.

2. Change the drug laws.

Hmmmm this is a tough one, let me know if you accomplish #1 though because I have a few hundred other social ills that could be cured by your ingenious bootstrap method.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
And since I addressed where goodness entered into this nonsense, I might as well address this too.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except that YOU were the one saying that the drug prohibition is just as bad or worse than racism.

Go back and re-read the context. KingEup's original statement wasn't equating drug prohibition and slavery, but using slavery in place of drug prohibition to illustrate what a lovely argument goodness had made.

Goodness said, basically, "You can't say weed prohibition is immoral! A lot of people disagree!" KingEup replaced weed prohibition with slavery not as a way of comparing the two, but as a way of illustrating how lovely an argument "You can't say x is immoral! A lot of people disagree!" is.

You guys want to keep going at this, go ahead, as he does seem to have some views in that direction, but I thought it was clear that discussion began with your comment, not his.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 15, 2014

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

goodness posted:

Why don't you? I'm actually trying to discuss things without calling people idiots and using my ULTIMATE legal knowledge to berate others.

It's funny to read you complaining about being picked on by the cops for weed or whatever. Guess what, you are committing a crime. It literally has nothing to do with whether you think is right or wrong, morally acceptable or whatever else you want to call it.

It is not the cop's job to interpret laws the way he wants, it's his job to follow the law and let the other systems work it out.
go gently caress yourself with this racist apologist poo poo

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
Hey listen guys, you shouldn't sit in at whites only establishments if you don't want to get arrested, duh. Everything should be cool now, glad we had this talk.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

goodness posted:

Sure I never said the courts weren't biased. I know they gently caress the black male population, I know they treat them unfairly. I am not talking about the court bias though, so why keep bringing that up? My point has nothing to do with that.

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

So what about the crime of "driving while black"?

Also the crime is stupid.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

thefncrow posted:

And since I addressed where goodness entered into this nonsense, I might as well address this too.

Go back and re-read the context. KingEup's original statement wasn't equating drug prohibition and slavery, but using slavery in place of drug prohibition to illustrate what a lovely argument goodness had made.

Goodness said, basically, "You can't say weed prohibition is immoral! A lot of people disagree!" KingEup replaced weed prohibition with slavery not as a way of comparing the two, but as a way of illustrating how lovely an argument "You can't say x is immoral! A lot of people disagree!" is.

You guys want to keep going at this, go ahead, as he does seem to have some views in that direction, but I thought it was clear that discussion began with your comment, not his.

If that's what he meant he should have said so, as it is it just comes off as: "My getting legal weed is more important than some silly problem with racism."

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

MaxxBot posted:

Trying to get people to stop committing victimless crimes is a fool's errand, the law is unjust and everyone knows it, nothing you can possibly do can stop people from breaking it.

Trying to get people to stop being racist is a fool's errand as well. Changing drug laws will not really change the situation that much. But this really is enough of a derail, more of an overall topic for another thread.

Thanks for the Avatar! I was waiting to get rid of that duck gif :smuggo:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

goodness posted:

Trying to get people to stop being racist is a fool's errand as well. Changing drug laws will not really change the situation that much. But this really is enough of a derail, more of an overall topic for another thread.

Thanks for the Avatar! I was waiting to get rid of that duck gif :smuggo:
yeah, just stop criming, black people!! it isn't our fault we can't not be racist.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, just stop criming, black people!! it isn't our fault we can't not be racist.

You really are an ignorant person. I guess you thought I was saying black people can't stop "criming"?

Yeah, maybe I was saying that even if you change the drug laws, the system will still be biased and black males will still be profiled and put in jail.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

goodness posted:

You really are an ignorant person. I guess you thought I was saying black people can't stop "criming"?

Yeah, maybe I was saying that even if you change the drug laws, the system will still be biased and black males will still be profiled and put in jail.
yeah that is exactly what you said. you said it! probably because you're a shithead!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

TenementFunster posted:

yeah that is exactly what you said. you said it! probably because you're a shithead!

edit: nvm, looked at your rap sheet. I'm done.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

goodness posted:

The systemic racism will still exist but this is taking away one of the major tools it uses to profile and incarcerate. It's also taking away some of the most profitable methods for crooked police and private jails to get money.

It's like taking the baton off a violent riot cop. He still has his shield and body. He still exists. But he cant use his baton anymore.

The legalization of drugs and unilaterally ending the 'war on drugs' will do vast amounts of good to society. Seeing as most sane people stigmatize drugs due to their illegality with a small but not insignificant amount stigmatize it due to race connotations.

goodness posted:

edit: nvm, looked at your rap sheet. I'm done.

Good loving riddance you utter child.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

goodness posted:

rear end in a top hat cops will continue to harass blacks I am sure, but whatever BS charges are brought up will be dropped in court, this happened to me even though I'm white.

The difference is unlike cops, judges actually have some accountability and it's a lot harder for them to gently caress someone over if they didn't actually commit a crime. If the war on drugs is ended it will be a LOT harder for the criminal justice system to send minorities to jail for BS reasons.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The systemic racism will still exist but this is taking away one of the major tools it uses to profile and incarcerate. It's also taking away some of the most profitable methods for crooked police and private jails to get money.

It's like taking the baton off a violent riot cop. He still has his shield and body. He still exists. But he cant use his baton anymore.

The legalization of drugs and unilaterally ending the 'war on drugs' will do vast amounts of good to society. Seeing as most sane people stigmatize drugs due to their illegality with a small but not insignificant amount stigmatize it due to race connotations.

I agree with all that and want the drug laws to change. I am glad we agree.

Also, lots of people stigmatize drugs based on their moral, religious, etc. beliefs.

MaxxBot posted:

but whatever BS charges are brought up will be dropped in court, this happened to me even though I'm white.

If only this had happened to me :( But that is the deep south for you, no drugs allowed!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except that YOU were the one saying that the drug prohibition is just as bad or worse than racism. I'm saying that comparing the two as if they are equal is disgusting, racism has caused far more suffering through history than the drug prohibition in america has!
I don't agree with this at all. And even if Racism has caused much more suffering "throughout history," I'm not concerned about history, I'm concerned about now. And NOW, the drug war is the most destructive tool racists have left.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

goodness posted:

You know that it if you don't commit the crimes, then you won't be in front of a judge being hosed?

I don't see any other way to interpret this, besides "no innocent person has ever been unfairly incarcerated". Which makes me worry for your mental health.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

mdemone posted:

I don't see any other way to interpret this, besides "no innocent person has ever been unfairly incarcerated". Which makes me worry for your mental health.

If that is the way you interpret it, then I worry for you too. Maybe when people make a statement, its a generalization. Of course there are people who are innocent but get arrested/incarcerated.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

goodness posted:

You know that it if you don't commit the crimes, then you won't be in front of a judge being hosed?

goodness posted:

Of course there are people who are innocent but get arrested/incarcerated.

I'm really confused on what your exact position is.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Salt Fish posted:

I'm really confused on what your exact position is.

I was talking about black males getting harsher sentences, so my comment is talking about getting hosed by the judge...

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

goodness posted:

I was talking about black males getting harsher sentences, so my comment is talking about getting hosed by the judge...

Do you think judges have some sort of extrasensory perception where they don't gently caress up people's lives with extra harsh sentencing after being convicted because the judge can sense that this person is actually innocent?

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
Sure, sometimes innocent people get incarcerated, but don't do the crime if ya can't do the time, right?!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hey guys, let's chill out and check out a reporter getting high and reporting! :2bong::

CNN Reporter Gets Stoned During Story On Colorado Legalization

(Skip to 4:27, she's clearly stoned out of her gourd :lol:)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Hey guys, let's chill out and check out a reporter getting high and reporting! :2bong::

CNN Reporter Gets Stoned During Story On Colorado Legalization

(Skip to 4:27, she's clearly stoned out of her gourd :lol:)

"Now, just to be clear Randi, this was just a contact high, right?"

"(hesitation) Yeeess, Anderson. There was just so much smoke! You saw it in the video!"

brokowski
May 13, 2013

goodness posted:

Yeah but at least it's one less victimless crime in the arsenal of institutionalized racism. Why is it fair that i as a white male can smoke as much weed as I want wherever and whenever I want here in california when anyone who is not white does not enjoy that freedom? Its a victimless crime dude, and it's one of the main reasons that black people are being put in jail to begin with. The only reason to keep it around is to support institutionalized racism. What is your point? Are you one of those trolls or something?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
one should always do what the.government tells them to do.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

one should always do what the.government tells them to do.

Clearly! After all, Rules is Rules!

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

mdemone posted:

Which is outrageous because it is literally the best medicine for severe anxiety & major depressive disorder that I have ever known, by a tremendous margin. And I've been on more different SSRI/SNRI regimens than any ten of you guys put together, over a span of decades. Nothing even comes close; it's like penicillin vs. leeching.

Can you tell me more about this? For most people I know, including myself, it increases our anxiety. I find that I tend to not get my work done when on it or if I've used it in the previous 48 hours. In turn this fuels my anxiety. Additionally, when I am high I don't like to be in public or around other people who aren't high, so it increases my avoidant tendencies.

Could you elaborate on how you use it to combat your anxiety and depression, as well as how it affects you? You can PM me if you prefer to reply privately!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

thefncrow posted:

Exactly, it was a lovely appeal to popularity.

Also the drug war is quite racist so perhaps you guys should calm down on that argument anyway.

forgot my pants posted:

Can you tell me more about this? For most people I know, including myself, it increases our anxiety. I find that I tend to not get my work done when on it or if I've used it in the previous 48 hours. In turn this fuels my anxiety. Additionally, when I am high I don't like to be in public or around other people who aren't high, so it increases my avoidant tendencies.

Could you elaborate on how you use it to combat your anxiety and depression, as well as how it affects you? You can PM me if you prefer to reply privately!

You do know there are different strains that can have different effects, right? This is another good thing about legalization: full knowledge of what you're actually getting.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 15, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

forgot my pants posted:

I feel like part of the anxiety/paranoia of weed is related to its legality (or lack thereof.)

As someone who never started smoking until I was in CA where I got a medical card, I've never felt paranoid or anxious smoking (vaping, technically :v:). I think that a major part of the reason for that is that I have literally nothing to fear. I only smoke it at home and my company doesn't drug test, so I can't get in any sort of major trouble for smoking. The biggest repercussion I have to fear is my roommate walking into my room and saying "Oh my god it reeks of weed in here, open a window."

I bet if we surveyed weed users in CO they would report less feelings of paranoia/anxiety than people in states where it's still illegal, but this is just my pet theory, I haven't seen any actual data on this.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 15, 2014

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

forgot my pants posted:

My advice for you would be this: don't think of pot as something that will necessarily hurt/help your anxiety, think of it as something that will enhance other things you do to relieve stress. If you don't want to be in public or don't think you'll accomplish things while stoned, those probably aren't things you should do after you smoke. Instead, try inviting some friends whose company you enjoy, get stoned, and spend the night doing fun, low-risk things (listen to music, watch TV or a movie, take a walk outside, and definitely order/cook food you really like). It sounds like right now you're associating being high with being anxious, when if done right it should generally be a fun experience. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

forgot my pants posted:

Different strains, differing results and...

WampaLord posted:

I feel like part of the anxiety/paranoia of weed is related to its legality (or lack thereof.)

As someone who never started smoking until I was in CA where I got a medical card, I've never felt paranoid or anxious smoking (vaping, technically :v:). I think that a major part of the reason for that is that I have literally nothing to fear. I only smoke it at home and my company doesn't drug test, so I can't get in any sort of major trouble for smoking. The biggest repercussion I have to fear is my roommate walking into my room and saying "Oh my god it reeks of weed in here, open a window."

I bet if we surveyed weed users in CO they would report less feelings of paranoia/anxiety than people in states where it's still illegal, but this is just my pet theory, I haven't seen any actual data on this.

This is a good theory, but some weed strains are particularly stimulating, and seeing as some of the most popular strains in some places have strong Sativa lineage/genetics/whatever in them I'd say that's not a major part of it.

So generally get ye the indicas for a less stressful high.

• Locked thread