Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

what kind of mouthguard is this? the one i have makes me wanna gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Easton EQ30's suck back there. Guess what I fractured in pretty much the way you just described? :v:

(though in my case I was practicing transitions)
Your knee?

That EQ line was supposed to be quite protective and my experience with the EQ50 pants has been consistent with that. I've taken the fall described more times than I care to remember, and I usually barely even feel it. I'm surprised the EQ30's did that poorly.

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Great OP, OP.

I decided to get back into playing hockey after not being on skates for 10 years. I hope my muscles remember how to do everything! Has anybody started playing again after a long time being off skates, and if so how fast is it to pick back up (besides having lovely cardio obviously)

(I'm either in Calgary or closeish to Seattle/Bellingham depending on the week in case anybody gives a care. Finding shinny/pickup & outdoor games will be easy in Calgary, but does anybody know how often pickup hockey is scheduled in the PNW?)

I just played in my first game last night after about 8 years away. Skating felt pretty normal but I definitely forgot how sharp my edges were after being sharpened and totally struggled for two periods because they were grabbing so much. If you had good positioning when you played a while back that will be the same unless your team itself doesn't know where it be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

I thought spending $50 on a mouthguard was a little stupid but I'll be goddamned if this thing isn't just amazing. I was wearing it and talking and my girlfriend didn't even know I had it in.

Also I have my first semi competitive hockey match in 6 months tonight with a new team, gonna hog the puck and turn it over a lot.

Which one? I've been thinking about rolling visor occasionally but want a mouthguard before I do.

Played a 3v3 tournament last night. We had 5 games over a few hours. It was rad but pretty much everyone was completely gassed after the first 2 games. Brutal. The upper division didn't even play their 3rd place game because they were tired. Babies.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Which one? I've been thinking about rolling visor occasionally but want a mouthguard before I do.

This one.

Mouthguard got a full spectrum workout tonight and passed with flying colors. This mildly psycho guy who was a goon in some semi pro something for a while cross checked me in the face, I fell down, he got a minor, no big deal. For some reason, my new buddy gets upset with this outcome and spends the whole power play chirping me from the penalty box. We score, he comes out, immediately goes after another guy on our team for an unrelated matter. Gets two for a slash, then gives him a two hander as he's going to the box for his first 5 and a game.

So, the refs are taking him off the ice. I just cannot help myself, so I yell at him "are you making more than minimum wage yet?" (with the mouthguard in, works great. Incidentally, he's a spit-scrubber at the rink, so he likely does not make more than minimum wage). He absolutely lost his poo poo. He charges over and jumps into our bench to attack me. I have no interest in either fighting or getting suspended, I got one pretty solid shot on him before doing a full scale Claude Lemieux turtle while he punches my helmet for a while. Eventually gets pulled off, tries to say something through his tears of rage, gets taken off the ice. I got no penalty, we get a 9 minute power play, score twice on it, win the game. Only stupid thing was our guy who first tried to pull him off me got a "3rd man in" which seems pretty stupid.

edit - someone took a video of it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLeCoCOzIkk

(you can't see anything)

bewbies fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 13, 2014

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

^^^ :allears:

Tonight was fun. Well, for me. I played one of my best non scoring games as a center. Was in position 98% of the time and covered the rear end of our D more than enough too. Unfortunately, being a new season with a handful of new people, everyone forgot how to play! Next week, I'm "stepping up" as Captain and playing D for the first time with a full bench. I played last season twice, but didn't have any subs so it was more of an endurance trial than actually playing. Guess I need to figure out what I'm really doing back there! :haw:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I just started up playing hockey again after taking a 25 year hiatus. Non-contact co-ed league, lots of fun and I'm not dying after/during every game like I was at the start of the season. My shot is still non-existent and I make some crap plays sometimes but I'm trying to hustle and be in the right place at the right time and so far I think I'm doing ok. Looking forward to playing a lot more in coming years and improving my skills.

In short, playing hockey is hella fun

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

coldwind posted:

I'm surprised the EQ30's did that poorly.

The EQ50 is a pretty big jump over EQ30 in my experience.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We lost 6-3 tonight. Couldn't break the puck out to save our lives; all 6 were on turnovers in our own end. We were down 5-0 in the 3rd when we finally scored, and got two more, but it was just too late.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gio posted:

what kind of mouthguard is this? the one i have makes me wanna gag.

1) Have you formed it?
2) Have you cut it down?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

bewbies posted:

This one.

Mouthguard got a full spectrum workout tonight and passed with flying colors. This mildly psycho guy who was a goon in some semi pro something for a while cross checked me in the face, I fell down, he got a minor, no big deal. For some reason, my new buddy gets upset with this outcome and spends the whole power play chirping me from the penalty box. We score, he comes out, immediately goes after another guy on our team for an unrelated matter. Gets two for a slash, then gives him a two hander as he's going to the box for his first 5 and a game.
This sounds interesting, and you can find it for a helluva lot cheaper at Icewarehouse for a whopping $18

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

real_scud posted:

This sounds interesting, and you can find it for a helluva lot cheaper at Icewarehouse for a whopping $18

I think those models are different, hockey monkey has the cheap one too, doesn't have "3D" in the name http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shockdoctor-hockey-mouthguard-power-gel-dna-adult.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, different model number 6401 vs 6503 and 6501A

The one bewbies linked is MAP protected

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Hockles posted:

1) Have you formed it?
2) Have you cut it down?

yes ans yes. im a sensitive soul.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gio posted:

yes ans yes. im a sensitive soul.

Just checking. I am too. I stopped wearing them after high school. Cage forever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was playing D last night, skated the puck out of my own zone, took about one stride over the red line and ripped a slapper toward the net to try to dump the puck in. It was a laser about a foot off the ice and was probably the hardest shot I've ever taken. I just started curling off for a change and saw it pop the net out of the corner of my eye.

Captain gave me the game puck for "the longest goal in history." :lol:

Today I'm getting a second round of x-rays on my wrist. Possible broken scaphoid from back in November :(

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I was playing D last night, skated the puck out of my own zone, took about one stride over the red line and ripped a slapper toward the net to try to dump the puck in. It was a laser about a foot off the ice and was probably the hardest shot I've ever taken. I just started curling off for a change and saw it pop the net out of the corner of my eye.

Captain gave me the game puck for "the longest goal in history." :lol:

I did that in the fall, except it was at the end of a penalty kill. It wasn't all that hard, though. It hit the goalie's stick, went straight up, fell behind her, and rolled in. I didn't get the game puck, though :smith:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Today I'm getting a second round of x-rays on my wrist. Possible broken scaphoid from back in November :(

Hopefully it's not. I broke mine two years ago and it sucked. I was out 10 weeks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it sucks. Original x-ray didn't show any breaks. Although I've gotten 90% of my range of motion back, twisting my hand still hurts so I had it checked out again. Of course I've been just dealing with it and playing through the pain because hockey owns and I am dumb.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Hockles posted:

Just checking. I am too. I stopped wearing them after high school. Cage forever.

Mouth guards protect from concussions primarily, so you should be wearing one even with a cage.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Hockles posted:

I did that in the fall, except it was at the end of a penalty kill. It wasn't all that hard, though. It hit the goalie's stick, went straight up, fell behind her, and rolled in. I didn't get the game puck, though :smith:

My longest goal happened on a delayed penalty. A pass back to my D man from the corner hit a rut in the ice, skipped over his stick, and slowly slid the entire length back into our empty net.

Costing us the game

In overtime

In provincials

:smithicide:

A Keg fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 14, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mouth guards protect from concussions primarily, so you should be wearing one even with a cage.

Hi, welcome to the thread, i think this was missing from your orientation packet.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/concussions-and-the-mouth-guard-myth-1.845686

E: Or if you want to get scientific about it: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81.full

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 14, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They do protect against concussions, but only if it's hanging out of your mouth.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

To really protect from concussions you shouldn't wear a cage becau

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

oh god now you've done it

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Is there any reasonable way to repair chips on the toe of my (one piece composite) hockey stick? I've seen some suggestions online but I don't want to be dropping pieces of random poo poo all over the ice.

I mean, there's always "buy another stick", but…

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
:ohdear:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hockles posted:

Cages are great and I wear one, but a cage ain't gonna be much help if you collide with someone and bite your lip. Kinda lucky I didn't need stitches.

(Note: I'm still not wearing a mouth guard.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Cages are great and I wear one, but a cage ain't gonna be much help if you collide with someone and bite your lip. Kinda lucky I didn't need stitches.

(Note: I'm still not wearing a mouth guard.)

hah, my first time on the ice as a kid I almost bit through my lip and still have a scar.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Jesus christ do I hate some teams in our league.

Played a team in the playoffs that we'll either dominate and win by a boatload, or lose by a boatload.

Tonight was the latter and we collectively as a team played like poo poo. Early in the 1st I went to block a shot and had it go off my index finger, which is now about 3x the size of a regular finger but I can still move it so nothing's broken. Later I fell trying to push a guy out of our crease at which point he cross-checked me in my armpit and then in my face. I have just a visor and thankfully nothing major happened.

We start losing and poo poo is getting chippy everywhere, the other team loves to hack and slash off the faceoff's and then chirp for no reason. Which late in the 3rd with us down 6-3 or so one of our guys start chirping back which starts some pushing and shoving and a little short skinny fucker on their team telling us we're chumps and scrubs.

We end up going down 2 men I'm guessing for the stupid 3rd man in rule, and on the insuing 5-on-3 a puck got rimmed along the back boards to the left of our zone. I follow it around and go to turn and throw the puck up ice, where I'm greeted by their shittiest player falling into my planted left leg.

It loving hurt like hell and I immediately crumpled to the ice fearing the worst. After a second or two I realize I didn't hear/feel a pop and after the whistle blows I skate to the bench and think I might be ok since there wasn't any pain after I put pressure on my left leg.

As soon as the game is over I'm in the dressing room and changing and I twist my knee to put my gear down and immediately feel some pain. I've still got it now whenever I twist my knee so I guess I get to put a call in to the Dr. tomorrow if it's still there.

tl;dr My knee almost blew up because of an idiot

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Hooray I guess. Went to the Dr this morning and he thinks it's just a sprained MCL that'll heal in a few weeks. Sucks that it means I can't play for a few weeks but at least it didn't require surgery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gave up a 2-0 lead in the third and lost in a shootout last night. Balls. But hey, I scored in the shootout!

In other news, I finally bought a new bag with Hockey Monkey's 20% off sale. I am no longer a part of the wheelie bag crew :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Hooray I guess. Went to the Dr this morning and he thinks it's just a sprained MCL that'll heal in a few weeks. Sucks that it means I can't play for a few weeks but at least it didn't require surgery.

Did he mention if it's a Grade 1 or Grade 2 MCL sprain? Hopefully, it's just a grade 1 sprain. At this stage, you can start riding an exercise bike for 5-10 minutes per day with no resistance, which will aide recovery. MCL injuries suck, but that ligament can normally heal well on its own.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

Did he mention if it's a Grade 1 or Grade 2 MCL sprain? Hopefully, it's just a grade 1 sprain. At this stage, you can start riding an exercise bike for 5-10 minutes per day with no resistance, which will aide recovery. MCL injuries suck, but that ligament can normally heal well on its own.
No, he didn't do an MRI because he thought it wouldn't really be worth it to have the insurance cost when he saw no major damage. Because of that I'm going to guess it was a grad 1 sprain.

He gave me a knee brace with a frame and said to wear it when I could, he didn't mention any exercise stuff and said to try to keep off it 6-8 weeks and it'll be good but he realized because I play sports he'll be lucky if I actually stay off it 2 whole weeks.

I'm not scheduled to play in net until the 24th and I'll look at how I feel closer to that day but realize it'd probably be best if I stayed off it an additional week to get almost 3 full weeks of healing in before I really try to go crazy.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just got back from my own orthopedic appointment, basically told I have patellofemoral pain syndrome, and its overuse that causes it. Glad its not something that needs surgery, my knew has been bothering me for so long I was starting to get worried.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

No, he didn't do an MRI because he thought it wouldn't really be worth it to have the insurance cost when he saw no major damage. Because of that I'm going to guess it was a grad 1 sprain.

He gave me a knee brace with a frame and said to wear it when I could, he didn't mention any exercise stuff and said to try to keep off it 6-8 weeks and it'll be good but he realized because I play sports he'll be lucky if I actually stay off it 2 whole weeks.

I'm not scheduled to play in net until the 24th and I'll look at how I feel closer to that day but realize it'd probably be best if I stayed off it an additional week to get almost 3 full weeks of healing in before I really try to go crazy.

I had 2 Grade 2 MCL tears in 2012. Both injuries took between 8-12 weeks for me to recover and the longer time frame was due to the increased stress that playing goal puts on my knees. Hopefully, your injury is only a Grade 1 tear, but 6-8 weeks is the usual time frame that they'll give you for a Grade 2 tear. I would highly recommend seeing a Physical Therapist. Make sure to find one who is covered by your insurance, but they'll teach you how to build up strength to support your knees and make sure that your injury heals properly. You want to be careful and make sure that you don't rush back too quickly aggravate the injury. Do you have a follow up appointment schedule with the Orthopedist or did he not think it was necessary?

Hopefully, it is only a Grade 1 tear and you recover quickly, but I really recommend being careful. If you skate out, then you should be able to return to that quicker, but playing goalie puts a lot of stress on your knees and leaves you stretched out in vulnerable positions that it is really easy to aggravate your injury if you rush back too quickly.

Edit: You'll want to wear the knee brace for at least two months after you return to the ice. You can add a little padding (~1/8" to 1/4" of foam) to the point where the your MCL hits the brace, that way it won't hurt when you butterfly and it won't impact the function of the brace.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

Do you have a follow up appointment schedule with the Orthopedist or did he not think it was necessary?

Edit: You'll want to wear the knee brace for at least two months after you return to the ice. You can add a little padding (~1/8" to 1/4" of foam) to the point where the your MCL hits the brace, that way it won't hurt when you butterfly and it won't impact the function of the brace.
I have an appointment in 2 weeks and maybe I'll call the office tomorrow to see if he wrote down if it was a Grade 1 or 2 sprain. However from the tone I got he was simply saying to stay off it 6-8 weeks in order to let it fully heal so that I didn't have any permanent damage since I'm not a professional athlete who really needs to be doing things to strain my knee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well this seems like a handy way to get your quads bitching at you in a hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEj4xZuaH-0

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Any suggestions or good videos for a center moving to defense? What about NHL'ers to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

watch andreas lilja, then do the opposite of what he does.