Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
You could probably afford to let the shadowy area feel a little more shadowy. Not necessarily crush the hell out of it, but allow a little more attention to be drawn to the place where the sunlight is actually reaching the valley floor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Marshmallow Blue posted:

The first 2 are pretty cool.

the 3rd one, and I find this a lot too, Probably looks awesome in person, but when you get home for post processing or uploading, you kind of see it's a no nothing photo.

Every time I'm on a cool hiking trail I take all these pictures of the trail and they almost always come out blaahh when the actually place looks so cool and photogenic.

Actually the third scenery looked bad in person but I liked the pattern of the dead shrubbery in the sidelight and thought it would make a good square composition with the tree in the middle. On the other hand I almost didn't post the second shot, but now that you've mentioned it I took another look and I actually like it, especially for the colors. As I said, I have a hard time figuring out what to shoot, and then I have an even harder time going through my exposures to sort the good from the bad, so thanks for you feedback!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

As I said, I have a hard time figuring out what to shoot, and then I have an even harder time going through my exposures to sort the good from the bad, so thanks for you feedback!

Shoot everything, you can figure out what you like and don't like when you get home. On a good day I'll take around 75 photos and like 10 of them. Some are repeats, some missed focus, some I don't like. The many people better than myself probably take even more photos.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Cameras come with continuous high speed settings for a reason, just take 100000 pics and play the law of averages. Or you could read some books and look at some good landscapes and forge ahead with growth.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Kujaroth posted:

Another from Nepal.

Thoughts on the processing? Not 100% convinced on this but it's much better than my previous attempts. This has been a very hard shot to process.

I like the composition, but I'm not sure I like the wb/colors you went with.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
When you're starting out with a particular art it's beneficial to make lots of attempts. Gradually you learn what's working and what isn't, and you slow down.

Relevant quote from Art and Fear.

quote:

The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality. His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the "quantity" group: fifty pound of pots rated an "A", forty pounds a "B", and so on. Those being graded on "quality", however, needed to produce only one pot -- albeit a perfect one -- to get an "A".

Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the "quantity" group was busily churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes -- the "quality" group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

South Waterfront, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

South Waterfront Sunrise, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Thanks again for all your advice. I'll keep shooting regularly of course. It's just that I don't really have any formal training in this field and, being new, I find it hard to tell the good photos from the bad photos when I look through them at the end of the day. So in the beginning I think I really need someone to point at my shots and say "This sucks because this rock is way too dark." Is there a good place, apart from this forum, where people give each other critiques on their photos? I think there are feedback groups on Flickr but I remember most of them to be viewsharing rackets that spam your feed with "AWESOME PHOTO MAN PLEASE FAVE MY STUFF".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Kujaroth posted:

Another from Nepal.

Thoughts on the processing? Not 100% convinced on this but it's much better than my previous attempts. This has been a very hard shot to process.

I agree the shadows need to let be shadows, otherwise it can feel a bit flat/HDR'd. But otherwise I really like the processing, especially the clouds/sky and peak in the distance.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Shiprock by wholesome_, on Flickr

Sticks by wholesome_, on Flickr

Steps by wholesome_, on Flickr

Switchbacks by wholesome_, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Entenzahn posted:

Thanks again for all your advice. I'll keep shooting regularly of course. It's just that I don't really have any formal training in this field and, being new, I find it hard to tell the good photos from the bad photos when I look through them at the end of the day. So in the beginning I think I really need someone to point at my shots and say "This sucks because this rock is way too dark." Is there a good place, apart from this forum, where people give each other critiques on their photos? I think there are feedback groups on Flickr but I remember most of them to be viewsharing rackets that spam your feed with "AWESOME PHOTO MAN PLEASE FAVE MY STUFF".

I don't think too many people in here have formal training. It comes from reading books (Understanding Exposure), practicing, and time.

I have been shooting a while now and I still end up taking shots that looked better in person, but for one reason or another (my skill) didn't turn out. It's really frustrating when it happens when you're shooting a roll of medium format film. Hanging around the forum has, I think, started to make me a better photographer.

I wouldn't really bother with the Flickr nonsense. Pretty much the only people I interact with on Flickr are from here or a website I run.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Alley, Southwest by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I love this shot, but please sort out the dodgy spotting or whatever those splotches in the sky are.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

big scary monsters posted:

I love this shot, but please sort out the dodgy spotting or whatever those splotches in the sky are.

Looks like sensor dust to me. Not really bothersome, though; I didn't even noticed until you pointed it out.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ZippySLC posted:

I don't think too many people in here have formal training. It comes from reading books (Understanding Exposure), practicing, and time.

I have been shooting a while now and I still end up taking shots that looked better in person, but for one reason or another (my skill) didn't turn out. It's really frustrating when it happens when you're shooting a roll of medium format film. Hanging around the forum has, I think, started to make me a better photographer.

I wouldn't really bother with the Flickr nonsense. Pretty much the only people I interact with on Flickr are from here or a website I run.

I mostly use flickr to look at other peoples stuff to help me improve and make me feel like a poo poo photographer even though I work for a wire. You can always get better and it's good motivation.

Take lots...and lots...and lots...of photos. That's really the only way to improve to start. Then you'll start getting more selective and self critical. That's when you really start getting better.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah those are annoying. It's sensor dust and when it's really bad or if I'm making prints, I'll spot-heal it out in photoshop, otherwise I've mostly given up on it. They mostly only show up at small apertures starting at f/8.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Speaking of taking lots of pictures, here's a dump of photos from my recent trip. Sorry about the large amount!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Entenzahn posted:

You cant do anyworse than Wario IRL, so just take pictures of stuff that looks cool to you.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DSC00108.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Owns.

Again, owns.

Also owns.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Kujaroth posted:

Another from Nepal.

This better be hanging on your wall right now

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_MG_8832 by spf3million, on Flickr

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Alright, I'll keep taking photos! Here, here are some more photos:

These didn't get much of a reaction in PAD, so I guess the first one's already OK and the second one's beyond saving. It was a really overcast evening and I tried to work with the resulting blue-grey haze around sundown but it didn't work out. I don't know how I could have salvaged this situation tbh.

The water and sky in this are amazing. All your pictures have great colors, but this one really makes me stop scrolling every time.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Åmot by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 16, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Owns.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_MG_8837 by spf3million, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Not sure if I'm done with this yet, I need to sit on it for another week I think.

Chernobyl Power Plant by TomOlson, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Always a fan of layered mountains. Well done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RangerScum posted:

Not sure if I'm done with this yet, I need to sit on it for another week I think.

Chernobyl Power Plant by TomOlson, on Flickr

Chernobyl is pretty awesome (from a photography standpoint, shame about that whole irradiating the earth part).

Though I had to scroll down before I figured out what it was.. that arch they're building had me thinking it might be decaying blimp hangar.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sunset by SomePECPhotos, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC00169.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC00198.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC00141.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC00165.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Excellent.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Grand Teton by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

vote_no posted:

Speaking of taking lots of pictures, here's a dump of photos from my recent trip. Sorry about the large amount!

All excellent but there's something about these that draws me.

Is this PNW or the Northeast?

Not sure how I feel about the lone power line up top.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

Is this PNW or the Northeast?

Neither, its in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Thats a winner.