Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Aphrodite posted:

Are we certain they don't want Depp to play Brother Voodoo?

No, it's cool, he's 1/48th Haitian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ben Kingsley for Dr. Strange. Other dimensional being saw him on TV and believed that the Mandarin was powerful enough to become the next Sorceror Supreme!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

Ben Kingsley for Dr. Strange. Other dimensional being saw him on TV and believed that the Mandarin was powerful enough to become the next Sorceror Supreme!

I hope this movie will just be a reworked version of that Jack Black Green Lantern script.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I hope this movie will just be a reworked version of that Jack Black Green Lantern script.

At the end of the movie he's chilling on the couch watching a magic Thor sim take care of everything on CNN? Yeah, I'd watch it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

lomzus posted:

Latino Review is reporting that Marvel Studios has been talking to Johnny Depp about being Doctor Strange.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/13/marvel-supposedly-talking-to-johnny-depp-for-doctor-strange/

I know he's real popular to hate right now but I still like him. He'd be a great Doctor Strange.

Question is, is he gonna learn Kung Fu for the role?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Kingsley would be spot on for the Ancient One.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

lomzus posted:

Latino Review is reporting that Marvel Studios has been talking to Johnny Depp about being Doctor Strange.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/13/marvel-supposedly-talking-to-johnny-depp-for-doctor-strange/

I'd be ok with that, but honestly I'm still in the Jeffery Combs camp on this one.

Or Vincent Price if they can bring him back from the dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The last thing I want is a roguish, offbeat, wacky Dr. Strange. I know they're going to Tony Stark him up, but god drat it, Depp is taking it too far.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want Will Ferrell (in alcoholic "Everything Must Go" form, or alternatively gong a completely different direction Mugatu from "Zoolander" form) as Dr. Strange

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Depp seems like an odd choice because he's probably pretty expensive and Marvel is notoriously cheap about paying people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

Depp seems like an odd choice because he's probably pretty expensive and Marvel is notoriously cheap about paying people.

You think Robert Redford and Michael Douglas are cheap?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look I enjoy the movies as much as anyone else but if Marvel doesn't cast Nicolas Cage as Doctor Strange I'll just stop watching them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

You think Robert Redford and Michael Douglas are cheap?

Both of them are most likely going to do one movie each while Dr Strange is a character that would be expected to be around for subsequent films.

Also I doubt either of them is as expensive as they used to be.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Depp does have some deep Disney connections through so I could see them pushing Marvel to get him.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I'd hate Depp as Dr. Strange. I want a doctor strange who is an uptight rear end in a top hat who gets his mind opened in mystical arts, but is still uptight and a bit of a dick.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Look I enjoy the movies as much as anyone else but if Marvel doesn't cast Nicolas Cage as Doctor Strange I'll just stop watching them.

Unironically fantastic idea.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Plus I bet Cage would work for cheap too, not like he has a choice, though couldn't he be seen as box office poison?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When was the last time Cage was a big moneymaker? National Treasure 2?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think after the Avengers and Disney taking over they've loosened up the wallets. And it seems to be more that they're using directors who are less expensive and using the actors to keep people coming.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! The man hosed up ghost rider bad enough, now you want him to have access to MORE marvel property?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus I bet Cage would work for cheap too, not like he has a choice, though couldn't he be seen as box office poison?

Honestly, Sam Jackson was seen as poison when they cast him as Fury. I could see them grabbing Cage as a big name draw for Doctor Strange.

Hell, with his whacky persona the internet would market the poo poo out of that for them. "So apparently Nick Cage is going to be playing himself in Doctor Strange!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roydrowsy posted:

I'd hate Depp as Dr. Strange. I want a doctor strange who is an uptight rear end in a top hat who gets his mind opened in mystical arts, but is still uptight and a bit of a dick.

Walternate-mode John Noble shifting to Walter Bishop-mode John Noble.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! The man hosed up ghost rider bad enough, now you want him to have access to MORE marvel property?

Time for Ryan Reynolds to get another go at portraying a comic book character! This time it'll work, for sure!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly, Sam Jackson was seen as poison when they cast him as Fury. I could see them grabbing Cage as a big name draw for Doctor Strange.

Can you elaborate on this because Sam Jackson was Fury seems exactly like what people would have wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DangerKat posted:

Can you elaborate on this because Sam Jackson was Fury seems exactly like what people would have wanted.

He means that Jackson had been in very, very bad movies that did horribly up until his Iron Man cameo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lurdiak posted:

He means that Jackson had been in very, very bad movies that did horribly up until his Iron Man cameo.

Yeah, this. Sorry I was a bit vague with that. Prior to being cast in Iron Man Jackson was largely considered box office poison. He'd been in some very terrible movies, at least a couple of which had leaned heavily on his name and still failed. From what I understand, that's part of why he was so willing to sign a lengthy contract with Marvel (something like nine movies), it was steady work at a point in his career when people were starting to shy away from him as a major draw.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If Marvel is throwing around money, George Cloony for creepy Fraction Defender's Doctor Strange.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, this. Sorry I was a bit vague with that. Prior to being cast in Iron Man Jackson was largely considered box office poison. He'd been in some very terrible movies, at least a couple of which had leaned heavily on his name and still failed. From what I understand, that's part of why he was so willing to sign a lengthy contract with Marvel (something like nine movies), it was steady work at a point in his career when people were starting to shy away from him as a major draw.

The Man is like, the only movie that didn't make money that he was in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

The Man is like, the only movie that didn't make money that he was in.
According to Box Office Mojo, there's also:
  • Black Snake Moan - Worldwide gross: $11 million. Budget: $15 million
  • In My Country - Worldwide gross: $160,000. Budget I can't find, but still, $160,000.
  • Twisted - Worldwide gross: $41 million. Budget: $50 million
  • No Good Deed - Worldwide gross: $181,000. Budget: $12 million.
  • Formula 51 - Worldwide gross: $14 million. Budget: $27 million.
  • The Caveman's Valentine - Worldwide gross: $687,000. Budget: $15.5 million.

Dude had a bunch of stinkers to his name. Obviously not necessarily (or probably) his fault, but still.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
With Johnny Depp for Strange...isn't this what Marvel does every time? Float a big name actor for the starring role on all the rumour sites and then use that to get their real pick at a lower salary?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Professor Dog posted:

With Johnny Depp for Strange...isn't this what Marvel does every time? Float a big name actor for the starring role on all the rumour sites and then use that to get their real pick at a lower salary?

Except they're in a pretty different financial position now and the last time they did that it was 'we want Gordon-Levitt or Rudd' and we ended up with Rudd and Michael Douglas to boot.

I don't think Depp will happen, though.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yes, but Jackson wasn't cast as the lead of Iron man. Hell, he doesn't even show up in the movie until after the credits. There was absolutely no risk whatsoever casting Jackson as Fury.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Strange will be hard enough to make interesting without getting stupid so they may as well go nuts on casting and have John Cho as Strange with Michael Chiklis as Wong.

quote:

<Jackson> had a bunch of stinkers to his name. Obviously not necessarily (or probably) his fault, but still.
Jackson has been in so many movies that his filmography has its own page on wiki. In the same year as In My Country he was Frozone in Incredibles, and he had already been "cast" as Fury since The Ultimates in 2002.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zachack posted:

Jackson has been in so many movies that his filmography has its own page on wiki. In the same year as In My Country he was Frozone in Incredibles, and he had already been "cast" as Fury since The Ultimates in 2002.

Not to mention at least 3 of those are small indie films.

I really cannot see a perfect Dr Strange. It needs to be someone who can deliver lines "By the Hoary Hoasts of Hoggoth!" and "Shield of the Serephim!" with complete seriousness

At least his modern costume is not silly looking. His classic always made him look like he was either awoken from sleep or entertaining at the playboy mansion.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

twistedmentat posted:

I really cannot see a perfect Dr Strange. It needs to be someone who can deliver lines "By the Hoary Hoasts of Hoggoth!" and "Shield of the Serephim!" with complete seriousness.

Idris Elba. Shame he's already in the Thor movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jude Law or Jonny Lee Miller would make a good Stephen Strange.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Roydrowsy posted:

I'm not sure what makes you think Depp is incapable of this.

Either way I think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a pretty awesome Strange, plus he's totally hot right now.
Too bad he'll never look good in a mustache.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm not sure what makes you think Depp is incapable of this.

Either way I think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a pretty awesome Strange, plus he's totally hot right now.
Too bad he'll never look good in a mustache.

If we're nominating Sherlock actors then I'd rather have Andrew Scott as Strange, although I don't think Cumberbatch is a bad pick. I don't know if either can do American accents though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone invent a time machine so we can get Gene Wilder to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

I really cannot see a perfect Dr Strange. It needs to be someone who can deliver lines "By the Hoary Hoasts of Hoggoth!" and "Shield of the Serephim!" with complete seriousness

To be fair I probably would have said this twenty years ago about Lord of The Rings, too.

• Locked thread