Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Getsuya posted:

Wait are you asking about the system in 4 Heroes of Light or Bravely Default?
The system in the two is almost completely different. Bravely Default is only a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes, not a direct continuation of the same thing.
You buy magic in shops but all magic is assigned a level, so in order to use high level magic you need to have a high level in that type of mage.
Everyone can use every job. You are completely free to make your characters whatever job is available, including making everyone in your team the same job.
The only two times you should feel like you absolutely need to change up jobs is 1. When what you're doing now isn't working against the enemies or bosses you're fighting or 2. You're sick and tired of using the same skills for the last few hours and you want to try something new. Other than that feel free to keep your guys in their jobs for as long or as short a time period as you want.

4 Heroes had a problem with making it very hard to beat the bosses without using very specific combinations of jobs. Bravely Default does not have this problem. There are tons of ways to fight each boss and just about any job combo you come up with will work out. Obviously some will make the bosses easier than others, but BD is all about making your own special party tweaked just the way you want it.

Pretty much. The party I'm using is probably not the most optimal party around, but I managed to beat the majority of the game with it, so I'm not complaining.

AnotherGamer posted:

Using Valkyries with Time Mage's Hasten World which increases the BP you get every turn to 2 for both you and the enemy is one of the easiest ways to break the game in half: as long as you are faster than the enemy and they're not immune to physical attacks, you can just have everyone use High Jump and set the game on autobattle.

Very true yes, though I find that Valkyries don't really mix well if you have a team full of different jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I just realized how well Aspir sword magic meshes with Pirate. Hello practically endless SP :allears:

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I think it's more fun to limit yourself to only having a max of one of each job in your party, FFV-FJF style. For me right now I'm using Spell fencer/pirate, pirate/spell fencer, thief/spell fencer, salv maker/red mage. Still almost feels like cheating. drat I love spell fencer. Think I need to try and get down to just one subjob too.
Didn't like valkyrie at all, jump feels inconvenient in this game's turn system and I dislike BP as an ability resource. The only good thing they have going for them in my eyes is crescent whatever, the attack all ability. The MP damage shield is ok too I guess.

I really want there to be a new four job fiesta for this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When you level a job, does that level apply to all of your characters, or just the character that you leveled it on?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Just the character who leveled it up, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point not mastering jobs right when you get them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just cleared the demo but didn't see any secret boss. should I reload to before I killed the last guy and look for him or can I save the cleared demo and go back?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Awesome! posted:

I just cleared the demo but didn't see any secret boss. should I reload to before I killed the last guy and look for him or can I save the cleared demo and go back?

The latter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Thanks. This demo is pretty drat impressive. I've already got like 8 hours into it and there's more :psyduck:

At first I didn't really like the game but after I unlocked some skills and got the hang of the brave/default system it became really enjoyable.

e: just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, I got 20 villagers and the town fully done, the four main bosses and the one after.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 13, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just got spoiled big time. Avoid places like 4chan because there's a new "Aeris Dies" for this game.

If you are curious:
The title screen changes to 'Airy Lies' after Chapter 6. I have yet to play it, but there goes one of the plot twists.(Story spoiler)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dehry posted:

Well, I just got spoiled big time. Avoid places like 4chan because there's a new "Aeris Dies" for this game.

If you are curious:
spoilery stuff.

It's too bad you got spoiled. At least that's not everything, but it IS a pretty big spoiler.

Awesome! posted:

Thanks. This demo is pretty drat impressive. I've already got like 8 hours into it and there's more :psyduck:

At first I didn't really like the game but after I unlocked some skills and got the hang of the brave/default system it became really enjoyable.

e: just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, I got 20 villagers and the town fully done, the four main bosses and the one after.

That should be all. Note that job abilities are obtained on different levels than in the demo and that certain jobs aren't gotten until much later in the full game.

Biffi
Sep 15, 2011
Are people still actively adding FC's, mine is 2191-7635-4499, added everyone from first 2-3 pages until my hand got sore :<

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Awesome! posted:

How did you get 20 villagers? Within the time I beat all the bosses in the demo and the game exited (4 hours), I hadn't streetpassed anyone :(

e: vvvv Whelp, too late, already beat the demo. Anything like that in the full version?

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 13, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
There's a glitch with that one NPC in the city who gives you a villager. If you save before getting him to give you the villager, you can talk to him, get the villager, then return to title without saving and repeat. The village has its own saving system, apparently, and you keep getting him to give you more villagers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nahxela posted:

There's a glitch with that one NPC in the city who gives you a villager. If you save before getting him to give you the villager, you can talk to him, get the villager, then return to title without saving and repeat. The village has its own saving system, apparently, and you keep getting him to give you more villagers.

I only just downloaded the demo, who is this?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I only just downloaded the demo, who is this?

I think it's a dude you talk to after the second boss (on the left side of town south of the magic shop). Basically, once you beat a boss, go back to town, turn in the quest, and save before talking to anyone. Now go through and talk to everyone in the town - if someone gives you a villager, go to the save menu and select to go back to the title screen, then reload and repeat until you have the desired number of villagers. If nobody gives you a villager, go beat another boss.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He should be between the magic shop and the weapon shop, on the left-ish part of that path.

You might need to disable auto-save, I don't know, though. I just had it off because someone said to do so.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dehry posted:

I'm kinda surprised that it took a year and a quarter for that to start popping up. Those of us who played the original Japanese release have been dancing around it in the general 3DS thread for a long, long time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm kinda surprised that it took a year and a quarter for that to start popping up. Those of us who played the original Japanese release have been dancing around it in the general 3DS thread for a long, long time.

You can avoid spoilers, but when someone posts a screenshot without a spoiler tag it's a little hard to avoid.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Nahxela posted:

He should be between the magic shop and the weapon shop, on the left-ish part of that path.

You might need to disable auto-save, I don't know, though. I just had it off because someone said to do so.

I had my auto-save on and it worked. It auto-saved when I came into the town, and after that I just never left until I was done. The game normally doesn't auto-save when you talk to someone, just when you change areas, so you should be fine.

If you want to be extra sure you might as well disable auto-save, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What's the deal with the Special Edition? Is it worth the extra money ? What do the AR cards do?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Enjoyed it but man, those "dungeons" are really bigger in the full game right? I assume these were just snippets for the demo because they were tiny and finished in about a minute or two each. I liked the job system and the combat was pretty interesting so looking forward to this.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

The Gunslinger posted:

Enjoyed it but man, those "dungeons" are really bigger in the full game right? I assume these were just snippets for the demo because they were tiny and finished in about a minute or two each. I liked the job system and the combat was pretty interesting so looking forward to this.

Dungeons in the full version are always 2 or more floors, even the small side-quest ones. Some dungeons are pretty big.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's one dungeon that is really long and will kick your rear end when you first unlock it.

Look forward to it. :unsmigghh:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
After having the game on my desk for a month, I finally started to play and I'm really loving the soundtrack (and the towns in 3D)! I cranked the music up to 10 and play with headphones. So awesome! Does anybody know where to get the soundtrack legally as a download? I only found it for 38€ as a CD, which I would convert to mp3s anyway.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Apparently, the Innkeep on Caldisla has the voice of Xemnas. To think that voice can sound so... friendly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Urgh I find myself doing the same with summon attacks as I do with consumables in other FFs; hoard them incessantly Just In Case(TM). I'm at chapter four facing off against an annoying pair of bosses and I could oneshot them with an insanely powerful Streetpass dude, but what if I need that dude later?

But seriously, should I be saving my insane (10k+) summons for anything later on? Or can I let rip on V and V?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Pierson posted:

Urgh I find myself doing the same with summon attacks as I do with consumables in other FFs; hoard them incessantly Just In Case(TM). I'm at chapter four facing off against an annoying pair of bosses and I could oneshot them with an insanely powerful Streetpass dude, but what if I need that dude later?

But seriously, should I be saving my insane (10k+) summons for anything later on? Or can I let rip on V and V?

Those bosses get much easier if you start off with Poison Immunity on your party. (Specifically so that Victoria can't hit you with Exterminate). Also, if you have Dispel, use that whenever Victor decides to amp up elemental attacks. Their spells aren't nearly as dangerous when their biggest source is cut.

Also, since you don't have a certain skill yet, focus on Victoria. Since you're under no threat of Exterminate, the thing you need to watch for is Corpse, and focusing on that boss will cut both attacks off altogether.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Does anyone have recommended class combos/support skills (by chapter, preferably)? I've been discovering stuff on my own but as the game marches on I don't think I'm touching on the truly broken pairings yet and it feels like the game is almost expecting me to.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The game really isn't expecting you to use any broken combos. Sure, they make your life easier when fighting certain bosses but they are by no means a requirement.

What's the latest job you've gotten?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just got Salve Maker. Really glad I had dispel for that fight, suspect it might have been unmanageable otherwise.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Finally finished the demo, I sunk 10 hours into it. :psyduck: I was going to get the full game yesterday, but everywhere seems sold out of it. I think Amazon have it through resellers, but I'll see can I find it locally. If worst comes to worst I guess I'll just get a digital copy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

When you level a job, does that level apply to all of your characters, or just the character that you leveled it on?
Just that one character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Finally finished the demo, I sunk 10 hours into it. :psyduck: I was going to get the full game yesterday, but everywhere seems sold out of it. I think Amazon have it through resellers, but I'll see can I find it locally. If worst comes to worst I guess I'll just get a digital copy.

If you go digital just make sure you have the memory for it. Its a almost 4gb download.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

If you go digital just make sure you have the memory for it. Its a almost 4gb download.
Yeah I know... I ended up ordering a 32gb card instead of the game. I should have just bought it at release, but at that point I hadn't even had time to play the demo, and I was kinda holding off in case I got it for Christmas (which didn't happen).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nintendo just released a new trailer for the game about the different job classes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are you meant to take on the (chapter four job spoilers) six dragons for the Vampire job as soon as it becomes available? Because for me that's around level 52 and they are wrecking my poo poo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pierson posted:

Are you meant to take on the (chapter four job spoilers) six dragons for the Vampire job as soon as it becomes available? Because for me that's around level 52 and they are wrecking my poo poo.

Not really. You can easily do it with ninjas though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I haven't really experimented with Ninja much, my other classes are too useful/leveled right now to switch out, although I guess since the next dungeon is the point of no return I may as well give them a shot. How does it work, a combo of evasion and counter abilities?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ninjas are good.

You ought to do that quest as a matter of priority though. The difference is completing your ability log in Chapter 5 if you do and get all of the Genome skills you can asap, or the last chapter if not and there are a LOT of good skills available instantly.

Ninja strat: What you need is Utsusemi and Transience in your abilities. Have them use Utsusemi every turn and you should never be hit and you'll counter the dragon every time, slowly but surely killing it. It's long and dull though.

How I did it on Hard in Chapter 4 for all but the Dark dragon was:
Note: This is not fool proof, but it's quicker and more involved so more fun arguably.

1 x Performer with One more for you (Level 3)
1 x Arcanist, with a Poison Rod and exterminate (Level 3)
1x Ninja with Templar subjob with Rampart (Level 7 spoilered job). This is so you go first.
1x Anything as long as it can top you off with heals.

The dragons do Attack - Attack - Elemental weakness patterns.

Every turn, have your Ninja put up Rampart and have your Performer give it 2 BP when it can. This protects you from Breath, and hopefully the dragon bites instead. You can be more lax on the second turn because it won't do an attack next time out.
Your arcanist should physically attack with the poison rod until the dragon is poisoned, and once it is, should use exterminate however you like the best (Defaulting to 4, Brave'ing 4 times and then again to -4, etc etc). This should be hitting for close to 9999 every attack and on normal should only take around three rounds of attacks to kill it.

You'll be good enough at the game to just use that as a frame work and play around though, so don't stick rigidly to it. As long as you can maintain your Rampart reasonably well, you should be able to win.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I'm in N America, so don't have the full game, but I think I figured out that Ninjas have the best single-turn damage ability with the right set up. Spoilers:

Round 1: Have a performer sing the song that increases attack power. The Ninja Defaults. Round 2: The Ninja Braves 3 times and uses it's ability to double hits per attack and then attacks three times.

Once I figured out this combo, it was pretty easy to cheese the rest of the demo. I'm wondering if there's an even better way to break the demo aside from the really boring option (4 black mages).

• Locked thread