Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

1) DecaDriver
2) Zect Rider System
3) BlayBuckle
4) Sengoku Driver
5) Fourze Driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Elfgames posted:

Fourze's belt is terrible, ugly and clunky as hell and i can't understand half the poo poo it says. wizard's says please and thank you.

The Fourze Driver would've been so much better if it didn't have three different voices attached to it, two of which are practically indecipherable over the modulation. The WizarDriver is absolutely fantastic - you can't go wrong with a belt that outright congratulates you for picking the KICK ENEMY IN HALF button.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, that's a bunch of different ways to say the Ultra Eye.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Shaezerus posted:

The Fourze Driver would've been so much better if it didn't have three different voices attached to it, two of which are practically indecipherable over the modulation. The WizarDriver is absolutely fantastic - you can't go wrong with a belt that outright congratulates you for picking the KICK ENEMY IN HALF button.

The Wizardriver is great but it's also too much. I warmed up to it even liking Wizard but there's a few things that just make it even clunkier than the Fourze Driver.

1) That goddamn hand-swapping switch. It's not really useful and doesn't really bring with it much buildup.
2) Spamming the chants every single formchange. I can appreciate them on the initial transformation, but giving time to the chants mid-fight formchange just kills the moment. WATER, PLEASE is really all that would be needed.

These two things would make the Wizardriver so much quicker to use and help chaining the fight choreography together a lot better, in my opinion.

And say what you will about the Fourze Driver, it's quick in battle and doesn't mess with flow. Put in switch, switch it on. Two very quick movements that link into each other - pulling out the switch as a separate action maybe, but it's still better than Wizard's pace-killing transformations.

I'll at least admit the voice modulations are a little wonky on some of the switches, but Fourze's ability to hype up the transformation sequence every single time is so great. There's something about THREE, TWO, ONE that just makes me grin with glee. :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Monathin posted:

There's something about THREE, TWO, ONE that just makes me grin with glee. :allears:

It's because they use some very dramatic camera work during the countdown to let you know that things are about to really heat up.

Also, if we're gonna talk about overdoing a transforamtion sequence then I feel I have to mention Gaim's. Kouta spends too much time swinging the lock around for me. Meanwhile Bravo and Baron keep it simple and quick. I prefer it when a guy is strictly business about beating up monsters/other guys.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 14, 2014

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fourze Driver is cool because you can start shouting out switches in everyday situations.
"I need to write out a check. Let me grab my PEN! Pen On!"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Still haven't finished Fourze because the group I watch it with is falling apart, but I can't wait. It's such a fun show.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Monathin posted:

1) That goddamn hand-swapping switch. It's not really useful and doesn't really bring with it much buildup.

I always liked that little switch because it was a nice fast hand motion. Same thing I like about the Sengoku Driver's 'Mash knife for special attacks' thing.

Meteor's belt is still the best, though.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I think one of my favorite belts is the Den-O belt, especially the variant that Gaoh uses, because OMINOUS PIPE ORGAN MUSIC PLAYS WHENEVER YOU TRANSFORM. THAT'S THE COOLEST :allears:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've hardly watched any Showa-era (just Black, really; though I have gone through those henshin compilations when thinking about other Rider shows to check out), but I like the concept of "belt is just the first part of the Rider form that appears" over belt-as-transformation-widget. With that preference in mind, V3's Double Typhoon and Black's Kingstone are top-tier for me.

Fourze's countdown and reach-to-the-sky pose is really fun though, and I like the flourish for flipping open the Double Driver in W.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Which older toku show should I watch first? I was thinking Black RX because as a kid I loved the Masked Rider fights, but might as well ask you guys for a more informed opinion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monathin posted:

Top 5 Belt Rankings, with Correct Opinions:

1. OOODriver
2. DecaDriver
3. Faiz Belt
4. Fourze Driver
5. DoubleDriver

Decade and Faiz can fight over who has the better belt, and Fourze and Double can fight over who comes behind them, but OOO is king of the mountain.

Wow, the IXA Knuckle, Birth Driver and Kaixa Belt are better than literally all of those. Those are some wrong opinions.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, it seems Toei understands who's the best Rider (warning, War movie spoilers)

In other news, if I have to make a list of belts...

1. OOO Driver (catchy as hell)
2. Meteor Driver (disco!)
3. Faiz Driver (that beautiful voice and the realistic, bulky belt with lots of stuff on it, makes me sad Faiz is a bad series)
4. Sengoku or Genesis Driver (I like both a lot, with the Sengoku's catchy tunes and the Genesis' sexy voice)
5. DecaDriver (the cards gimmick was pretty nice, made me want to get some Ganbaride cards myself, sadly it never happened)

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Are we counting the lockseeds as part of the Sengoku Driver? Because the belt itself is super boring, but the lockseeds have pretty great jingle catchphrases. And they're pretty!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I always liked Zeronos's belt over Den-O simply for the fact that Den-O's belt has the form selectors on the belt, rather than swiping different cards, memories, medals, switches, rings, locks or whathaveyou. I love the station jingles, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, it seems Toei understands who's the best Rider (warning, War movie spoilers)

Who's between Gaim and Decade? I can't tell.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpazmasterX posted:

Who's between Gaim and Decade? I can't tell.

Kamen Rider 1. I'm surprised you could see Gaim though, I had to strain my sight to realize that was (probably) him.

melodicwaffle posted:

Are we counting the lockseeds as part of the Sengoku Driver? Because the belt itself is super boring, but the lockseeds have pretty great jingle catchphrases. And they're pretty!

Yeah, I count everything (Cards, Memories, Switches, Medals, Lockseeds) as part of their Driver here, otherwise they're really boring.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

Which older toku show should I watch first? I was thinking Black RX because as a kid I loved the Masked Rider fights, but might as well ask you guys for a more informed opinion.

V3 is great if you can get into it. Just pure badassery and amazing villains.

Black is pretty good as well if you want a more episodic series with a solid storyline strung along.

Black RX I cannot recommend because I personally think it's dog poo poo-action and music are pretty good usually though.

Amazon is fantastic if you want a wild Tarzan that turns into a lizardman to fight monster people and befriend dudes.

Stronger is just a great show and should be finished soon, subbing wise. I don't think the first 7 episodes are that good, myself, but after that a switch gets flipped and it starts running.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kamen Rider 1. I'm surprised you could see Gaim though, I had to strain my sight to realize that was (probably) him.

Hard to miss the metallic orange armor. :v:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So has anyone been watching the new Blade subs from NDA? I've noticed a few glaring typos and was wondering if anyone can comment on the overall translation. I figure it's still better then TVN, but I want to know how bad before I go too deep in.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I run a Power Ranger review podcast called Podcasters with Attitude. I normally don't shill it here, but we just finished up a first impressions podcast on Tokkyuger. So if you wanna here some guys talk about TRAINZ then give it a listen.
Toot toot!

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Luckiero NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Obviously, this starts the defection of Luckiero and Candliera to the good guys.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

HKR posted:

So has anyone been watching the new Blade subs from NDA? I've noticed a few glaring typos and was wondering if anyone can comment on the overall translation. I figure it's still better then TVN, but I want to know how bad before I go too deep in.

I haven't seen anyone dissect Blade, but Magenta's cretique of his Gaim was essentially "good translation, but needs someone on QC"

If his Blade translation is at all like his Gaim, stuff's accurate.

So yeah, you can finally understand Blade and see what the show actually looks like.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
There's absolutely nothing wrong with TV-Nihon's Blade.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Hbomberguy posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is worth looking into. It has one of the greatest non-Rider protagonists in history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perigryn posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is worth looking into. It has one of the greatest non-Rider protagonists in history.

It's also fully subbed with a really good translation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And then watch V3.

I'm just going to foam at the mouth and make sure the foam hits the ground in the shape of V3. If I can get ONE person in this thread to watch V3 and love it, I will be a success.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think they mention near the start of the series when he gets the first upgrade I believe, the Dragon shows up and says something to that effect, but nothing is ever really done with it at all. It sort of looks like they might be doing something like that in the Gaim/Wizard movie, there's a scene of Haruto on the ground with cracks all over him in the preview scenes during the opening of the most recent Gaim episode.

As far as the part about Haruto worrying how effective he is and if he can become the "last hope," that might have worked better if Haruto hadn't been supremely effective in stopping the villains during the series and the only times he failed ending up not mattering at all because the victim saved themselves.

Haruto had a lot of emotion and drive, he just didn't spend a lot of time explicitly pointing it out or going over it, unlike Gentaro or Shotaro who sort of embodied their main personality traits. (Gentaro's being friendliness and Shotaro's being mawkish tryhardness) Anyone in the show who knew him saw how much he pushed himself to be a hero, even past the point of all reason. His sarcastic distance, strong desire to be cool in the face of all the weird bullshit he has to deal with, and his inability to show any strong emotions is quite obviously his characterization. They even have an arc dedicated to that later in the series, even as a kid he hid his emotions, even when adults like his teacher tried to reach out to him. It's only after he becomes a wizard that he realizes how much he's damaged himself by pulling away from everyone around him and hiding his negative emotions. (Mostly his inability to ever give himself a break) In that way he's a lot like Eiji, who seemed really bland and boring when you set aside the parts of him that aren't often outwardly expressed: his ptsd, his self-sacrificing (to the point of ridiculousness) nature, and his inability to let himself feel feelings if he's worried other people will react badly.

The writers sort of painted themselves into a corner by the very fact that yes, Haruto can still turn into Dragon if he despairs now, even though he's already overcome him. They never out and out say that in the series, but it's a common theme and Dragon does vaguely refer to it. That's part of the reason why the Phantoms never succeeded in making more Phantoms: That failure would bring Haruto to the brink of despair and neither the writers nor White Wizard wanted that. And crossover movie spoilers: The plot of that side of the movie is that there is a Phantom who becomes stronger by eating other Phantoms, and since Dragon has been developed within a wizard, he's now the strongest Phantom extant. He revives Koyomi so that fighting her will drive Haruto to despair.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Burkion posted:

And then watch V3.

I'm just going to foam at the mouth and make sure the foam hits the ground in the shape of V3. If I can get ONE person in this thread to watch V3 and love it, I will be a success.

I've started watching V3! I'm really slow at getting through shows, so I'm still working through a bunch of stuff and like to watch a chunk of something and then rotate through the list to something else for a while (still working through W, Fourze, and Kaiketsu Zubat), but it's good so far (not that I had much doubt after seeing some Zubat and that "drat YOU, V3!" image above).

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Up to Kyoryuger ep 10.

this really is the best sentai has been in a long, long time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Race Realists posted:

Up to Kyoryuger ep 10.

this really is the best sentai has been in a long, long time.

Since Shinkenger at least.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i love how the warring states era in kyoryuger is basically sengoku basara

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My gaburevolver showed up yesterday. My only regret is that there are so few episodes left with which to dance along.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?...40cb83e64b5ed71

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pinwiz11 posted:

Luckiero NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Obviously, this starts the defection of Luckiero and Candliera to the good guys.

It might have just been me, but that hat Deboss was wearing in the preview looked pretty familiar.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm on Amazon 7. God damnit Tobei.

EDIT: "I'm gonna scare Amazon with amusement park rides!" Wow snake monster you sure are as fierce as your reputation makes you to be.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 15, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

But where's the quarry?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"Teacher, the janitor got eaten by a crocodile!"

Masahiko is going to have such PTSD when he's older. So many people getting murdered by monsters in front of him like every other day.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Perigryn posted:

There's also the first season of Garo (and two other seasons, some movies, more stuff still under production, etc.) Its modern and sort of KResque without being tied down by tradition which means you don't have to deal with every episode being a two parter or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Justin_Brett posted:

It might have just been me, but that hat Deboss was wearing in the preview looked pretty familiar.

Nope. Nothing to worry about there. It's something completely different.

I am being serious in-case this comes off a sarcastic.

• Locked thread