Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The Doctor travels to a parallel universe where his adventures are serialised in the form of a popular television show! :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supernatural did this and it was loving awesome.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

docbeard posted:

Also I hope Moffat addresses the pressing unanswered question of why every incarnation of the Doctor, every single one, has borne a surprising resemblance to an actor from the 20th and 21st century on Earth.

(This is a joke. Except he will probably do this.)

While I know it's a terrible idea, a part of me is really taken with the concept that the name the Doctor took during the Time War was "John Hurt" and the actor of the same name exists as a result of the conflict. It seems a strangely appropriate name for him to have chosen in-universe, like it's an attempt to be a bit badass that has gone completely wrong.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zaggitz posted:

Supernatural did this and it was loving awesome.

I can imagine this in my head and it's great.

I hope we don't have one of the main characters stabbed in an alleyway though. :ohdear:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Alex Kingston is a very fine actress and a lovely lady.

And with that said: please Jesus, no more River Song. :cry:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Alex Kingston is a very fine actress and a lovely lady.

And with that said: please Jesus, no more River Song. :cry:

It's cool, I'm pretty sure we'll have Tasha Lem instead.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

There was no river in the recent specials celebrating the end of matt. If moffat wanted a new river plot. it hink he'd start it there somewhere.

i guess moffat knows you can't step in the same river twice.

Tasha Lem or whatever she was called was basically River Song, just with a different name and a blank backstory allowing her to be killed off in a Shocking Twist that was in no way a near-verbatim rehash of Asylum of the Daleks.

I also think there is a 100% chance that at the very least, we'll see River again in Moffat's Grand Finale Episode whenever he leaves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When Moffat departs, he is welcome to include River Song as part of his big sad goodbye for himself. Until then, I think the character has run its course. I could also use a vacation from the Angels, nursery rhyme advertising, 100s of years passing in between episodes and a host of other quirks. He has some great ideas and some great writing sometimes, I just really wish he had a second-in-command who would keep a leash on him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

vegetables posted:

While I know it's a terrible idea, a part of me is really taken with the concept that the name the Doctor took during the Time War was "John Hurt" and the actor of the same name exists as a result of the conflict. It seems a strangely appropriate name for him to have chosen in-universe, like it's an attempt to be a bit badass that has gone completely wrong.

I posted a couple times in the lead up to the 50th that I was really sad that "The Hurt Doctor" wasn't going to be his in-universe name. Its so perfect!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

When Moffat departs, he is welcome to include River Song as part of his big sad goodbye for himself. Until then, I think the character has run its course. I could also use a vacation from the Angels, nursery rhyme advertising, 100s of years passing in between episodes and a host of other quirks. He has some great ideas and some great writing sometimes, I just really wish he had a second-in-command who would keep a leash on him.

That's why he was so good under RTD. I'd love for him to continue writing for the show if he'd only give up being the show runner. It's reached the point now that I would be seriously happy if RTD just came back. At least then we'd get more Jack.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

qntm posted:

The Doctor travels to a parallel universe where his adventures are serialised in the form of a popular television show! :geno:

I think one of the New Adventures books did this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prenton posted:

I think one of the New Adventures books did this.

the last issue of IDW's Doctor Who line did this too. Complete with the 11th Doctor suggesting to Matt Smith that Peter Capaldi should play the next Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Here's Peter Capaldi riding a horse in his pajamas. :laffo:

http://io9.com/peter-capaldi-rides-a-horse-in-his-pajamas-on-the-set-o-1500629499

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seems like they're bringing back Strax, Jenny, and all that gang.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Stairs posted:

That's why he was so good under RTD. I'd love for him to continue writing for the show if he'd only give up being the show runner. It's reached the point now that I would be seriously happy if RTD just came back. At least then we'd get more Jack.

Yeah I'm at that point now too. After Time Of The doctor finished I thought "well, at least it was better than The End Of Time." Then the horrible realisation settled in that actually, I don't think it was. Moffat has neat ideas and I absolutely think he should continue to write, he just shouldn't be where the buck stops. There needs to be at least one person going over his scripts with a critical eye and refining them so the female characters aren't awful and all the interesting bits don't happen in a 300-year-skipping narration.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

2house2fly posted:

Yeah I'm at that point now too. After Time Of The doctor finished I thought "well, at least it was better than The End Of Time." Then the horrible realisation settled in that actually, I don't think it was. Moffat has neat ideas and I absolutely think he should continue to write, he just shouldn't be where the buck stops. There needs to be at least one person going over his scripts with a critical eye and refining them so the female characters aren't awful and all the interesting bits don't happen in a 300-year-skipping narration.

RTD claims he never did that with Moffat's scripts, but given how eager Moffat has been about throwing out most everything RTD's run established, I have to wonder if RTD wasn't actually taking the piss out of Moffat in some kind of way with that statement.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Oh I love this. Capaldi on the back of a fake horse being towed by a truck stuffed with people, going "Woooah! Wargh! Bleh!" at the top of his lungs, and then a highly skilled rider just casually galloping over the same set. I'll look these up again whenever that episode airs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stairs posted:

I've been watching the Davies run again, and wow I would love this right about now. (And I think I'm less down on the Moffat era than some folks hereabouts.)

Though I'll be just as happy if/when Mark Gatiss takes the helm, I think. Hell, I'd be pleased to see him and Moffat co-produce the way they do on Sherlock; we've already got plenty of evidence that he and Moffat collaborate really well together, and in particular I think their respective strengths and weaknesses as writers shore each other up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD claims he never did that with Moffat's scripts, but given how eager Moffat has been about throwing out most everything RTD's run established, I have to wonder if RTD wasn't actually taking the piss out of Moffat in some kind of way with that statement.

I'm sure he wasn't. If you look at the RTD era Moffat stuff, it does bear striking similarity to what he's writing now in a lot of ways. Some of it is just that it's too much - with the split season format and all the specials, he wrote something like six "event" episodes really, which is just too much. Even if he'd had enough ideas to populate all of them (he didn't), that much writing by the same person writing essentially the same thing wears you out as an audience.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
People in the other thread poo poo on RTD all the time, but I really enjoyed his seasons. Even in his worst episodes, he wrote characters that would just cling to you. No way I would have stayed with the series if I'd started off with Moffat. Though maybe part of it is blissful ignorance, since I didn't start watching the classic series until after season four, so I never figured out exactly how badly he hosed up in The End of Time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When looking at his full body of work, RTD can really shine. Its easy to target the season 3 finale and the last 10th doctor special. I compare this to Moffat whom I feel a large portion of his time as show runner has been sub par. To me, and I usually always say this, Series 5 might be the best of the whole revival and then it has just been downhill from there. He hung on to Amy and River for too long and the plots with them just felt forced and he has still failed to develop Clara as anything more than quirky precious girl.

I can't blame him for dreaming big and wanting all of these interweaving storylines and such - but the payoff never feels satisfying enough. I thought series 6 was abysmal all the way through.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah series five was really good. I think the tipping point for Moffat for me was when he completely failed to resolve the cliffhanger at the start of Day of the Moon.

Which is not to take away from how amazingly terrible a lot of RTD episodes were, but at least when you don't like an RTD story it will be over in a couple of episodes at the most, rather than dragging it out for three series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
RTD wrote much stronger characters. Moffat's a great idea man, but his writing is all over the place.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Ratspeaker posted:

People in the other thread poo poo on RTD all the time, but I really enjoyed his seasons. Even in his worst episodes, he wrote characters that would just cling to you. No way I would have stayed with the series if I'd started off with Moffat. Though maybe part of it is blissful ignorance, since I didn't start watching the classic series until after season four, so I never figured out exactly how badly he hosed up in The End of Time.

With RTD you felt something for characters because those characters developed over time and had ambitions and personalities outside of whatever cute Title The Doctor gave them.

Look at Rose, whom most fans hate. She had a strong sense of family and regularly visited her mum and Mickey, tried to save her dad's life against The Doctor's wishes, and routinely showed compassion toward other beings even if they terrify her (even a loving DALEK). She was smart, brave and sassy, and we know this because it was shown to us constantly. She became the "Bad Wolf" due entirely to her own heroism.

Now let's look at Amy, whom a lot of people love. She had no family to start with except Rory, who she totally ignored for several episodes, and once she got her parents back SHE NEVER MENTIONS THEM AGAIN. When confronted with beings she finds scary she usually defaults to being mean (Ganger Doctor) or indifferent. She was smart, brave and sassy, and we know this because Moffat never.stops.talking about it. Showing it, however, is another story. She's not special because of any of her own actions, but because she's "the Girl who Waited." whoopty doo.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
RTD wrote Midnight. That excuses virtually any sin of his.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think they both have their strengths as writers and both of them have weaknesses for over-indulgence with big, "event" moments like companions departing or regenerations. RTD could also become over-sentimental and Moffat gets altogether too smug.

Plus, Moffat's opinions regarding women probably colors the way he writes him, which is why they often end up feeling like props for the Doctor's development. We did get to grow with Amy and Rory but yeah, Clara seems either underwritten or Bernice Summerfieldy, depending on what week it is.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Some new shots of the new Doctor in action:

More pictures here

Confirms Strax and Vastra in one episode. I'm excited.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I wish they wouldn't go to Victorian England so bloody often.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Noxville posted:

At least it isn't current day Cardiff. For all we know it will just be one episode where they tie everything else with them and then we never see them again. Do what the Fourth Doctor did with UNIT.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

As he is wearing Victorian PJs I'd guess we're going to get a re-run of The Christmas Invasion, with the doctor being out of commission in bed for at least part of the episode.

twoot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 14, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you're wondering how come there are so many photographs of this floating around online (there seem to be about a million):

quote:

He waved to us all like a proper hero, then hopped off the horse and came to say hello to everyone. He kept doing it after every take, making sure everyone got a photo if they wanted one. He's charming and very nice to the fans.

What a nice guy. :unsmith:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-gallops-6505733

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

Show or Series. No one really uses program these days.

I do :mad:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I reckon this this some sort of smoke screen. They pretend to film an episode with characters we've seen before and a generic new costume in order to throw people off the scent for actual spoilers of what's really going to happen in the new series.

What? Let me live in hope!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I wonder just how many times in this thread people are going to "confirm" that Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are back. That's basically the only thing we've known for sure about this season for the longest time.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I wonder just how many times in this thread people are going to "confirm" that Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are back. That's basically the only thing we've known for sure about this season for the longest time.

I mean, can we be totally 100% sure they are actually in the episode? What if those are Zygons in that picture?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Umbra Dubium posted:

I reckon this this some sort of smoke screen. They pretend to film an episode with characters we've seen before and a generic new costume in order to throw people off the scent for actual spoilers of what's really going to happen in the new series.

What? Let me live in hope!

Why would they use pajamas as the decoy costume? There's no way he's wearing that fulltime. The only other shot of him is in Eleven's costume (sans Bow Tie). Just goes to show how it ties the whole ensemble together.

edit:

qntm posted:

I just assume in the Whoniverse Inspector Spacetime fills the gap in the BBC's programming.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 15, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Noxville posted:

I prefer it to present day England, and its probably cheap for the BBC because they can film at night, get a few fog machines, and dig some costumes out of their vast clothing archive.

Still it would be nice to get other planets, I don't care if we don't see the surface for budgetary reasons, just give me something weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

keep punching joe posted:

Still it would be nice to get other planets, I don't care if we don't see the surface for budgetary reasons, just give me something weird.

It's one of the reasons I liked Rings of Akhaten last season. Perfectly alien world, visually very different, lots of creatures, etc. More of that!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It's one of the reasons I liked Rings of Akhaten last season. Perfectly alien world, visually very different, lots of creatures, etc. More of that!

No, no, no, you see Moffat needs to bring back more of his Very Clever Pet Characters because they're Very Clever, you see. And that means going back to Victorian England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd take a dozen quarries over Victorian England any day.

• Locked thread