Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Thought I would crosspost this from the other thread here since you guys often suggest getting premium instead of free themes for you wordpress blogs.

Gripen5 posted:

For anyone who is using Wordpress and WooCommerce, Mojo Themes is selling a 12 bundle of premium themes for $29. Which is less than each one normally go for individually. I know a lot of you probably are using Shopifiy or Volusion, but wordpress was what I ended up going with at least for the time being.

Sale ends at midnight tonight.

http://www.mojo-themes.com/bundles/cyber/

Like I said, above, its only till midnight. Don't know anything about how good any of the themes are, but there seem to be a variety that include both blog style and shop/commerce style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powers
Feb 19, 2011

by XyloJW
I've just started messing around with the Keyword Planner, but under keyword filters CPC has been changed to Suggested bid. Don't know if I'm overlooking something simple, or if they are just interchangeable terms for the same thing. Or has google changed it recently??

Keisari
May 24, 2011

So I've thought about setting up a blog as a hobby for fun, but I thought I might as well run adsense on it because why not. I read about that wordpress taking a 50% cut, so that's a nono, but then I read blogger.com's policy, and it would seem I can just immediately slap ads on it and they won't take an additional cut from the action. Am I missing something here? As far as I've gathered I'd get just as much from adsense if I set up a blogger.com blog as if I went through the hassle of setting up my own domain and poo poo.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Keisari posted:

So I've thought about setting up a blog as a hobby for fun, but I thought I might as well run adsense on it because why not. I read about that wordpress taking a 50% cut, so that's a nono, but then I read blogger.com's policy, and it would seem I can just immediately slap ads on it and they won't take an additional cut from the action. Am I missing something here? As far as I've gathered I'd get just as much from adsense if I set up a blogger.com blog as if I went through the hassle of setting up my own domain and poo poo.

http://michaelhyatt.com/ez-wordpress-setup.html

That guy recommends Bluehost. I use HostGator. Other people here use other services - they're all pretty much the same.
The short of it is that if you use Blogger/Wordpress.com, etc. you're developing an asset that someone else ultimately owns - Google makes less money on ads for a couple of quarters, changes Blogger's terms to match Wordpress.com's, and bam your bottom line is impacted.

Build something you own from stem to stern - the level of effort to do so is so minimal compared to setting up on a free site as to be effectively zero.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Setting up your own website/blog isn't too difficult these days and it ins't even expensive. You can buy cheap hosting for $10/yr and get a domain name for $12. If you start getting visitors to your site you'll probably make enough off Adsense to pay for those costs.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Zero Gravitas posted:

EDIT:Paypal issues shook themselves out. Any comments on the new look? http://www.astronomyaggregator.com

Can't comment from a optimizing making money standpoint but from an end user, looks great! Your 'our contributors' page is empty though, so I guess take it off it you don't have any or put them on before they get mad if you do?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Can't comment from a optimizing making money standpoint but from an end user, looks great! Your 'our contributors' page is empty though, so I guess take it off it you don't have any or put them on before they get mad if you do?

One of many... quirks (for want of a better word which encompasses "bloody annoying idiotic things") with the new theme is that it doesnt update "dynamically generated" pages (like the contributors page, or categories) until you make a new post. Its a bit annoying, but hey ho, otherwise it looks pretty loving sweet and thats what I'm going for.

I realise that most people aren't really looking to run a news site, but does anyone have any recommendations or experience with plugins that prompt a user to like a facebook page or follow twitter before going through to the site? At the minute my stuff only really gets looked at if I post it to reddits r/space which is a bit annoying since then various other news apps aggregate it and present it to their readers stripped of any credit to my site - I'm not too bothered about stuff I've done in the past that is a pretty straight copy of a press release, but I do get annoyed when its a breakdown of the science involved and what such a discovery actually means in easy-to-understand language. :argh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

One of many... quirks (for want of a better word which encompasses "bloody annoying idiotic things") with the new theme is that it doesnt update "dynamically generated" pages (like the contributors page, or categories) until you make a new post. Its a bit annoying, but hey ho, otherwise it looks pretty loving sweet and thats what I'm going for.

I realise that most people aren't really looking to run a news site, but does anyone have any recommendations or experience with plugins that prompt a user to like a facebook page or follow twitter before going through to the site? At the minute my stuff only really gets looked at if I post it to reddits r/space which is a bit annoying since then various other news apps aggregate it and present it to their readers stripped of any credit to my site - I'm not too bothered about stuff I've done in the past that is a pretty straight copy of a press release, but I do get annoyed when its a breakdown of the science involved and what such a discovery actually means in easy-to-understand language. :argh:

One thing I've learned is that if you're writing articles, try and include some links back to any previous articles you wrote. Something like "Hot on the news of last month's announcement that we found water on mars, new evidence is pointing to the fact that we found a '94 Ford Explorer on mars!". This will help somewhat with some automatic scrapers and agreggators because they sometimes leave those links in.

Also don't be afraid to email whatever sites are reposting your content and ask for a source link. You are well within your right to request attribution or demand the content be taken down.

As far as popups, I've used ITRO popup in the past for my newsletter and been happy with it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 4, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

The main one is Flipboard, but having had a poke about on their site it seems you can apply to get your articles automatically done as theyre posted by RSS. I might look into later when I'm actually posting regularly instead of once a week or so.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
loving Wikihow.... They're ranking for my top keywords and content on the page sucks.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
Need someone willing to create and help maintain a blog for my auto sales career, are there any small companies who specialize in blog startups and optimizing?

I am working 60 hours a week and I simply don't have the free time to learn, even if it's relatively simple. Need someone who can help maintain after creation as well...

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Krono99 posted:

Need someone willing to create and help maintain a blog for my auto sales career, are there any small companies who specialize in blog startups and optimizing?

I am working 60 hours a week and I simply don't have the free time to learn, even if it's relatively simple. Need someone who can help maintain after creation as well...

PM Sent

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I am a little confused about Adsense. I signed up for it on the 3rd. I havent gotten any email saying I have been approved but the Adsense website says

quote:

Welcome aboard
Now that your AdSense account is fully activated:
stuff about setting payment
Google says that my ads are active but even though I picked the "If no ads, show a color" option, the area is just blank.

Is this normal? Have I misconfigured something?

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 8, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
So my blog about backpacking in Europe has been slowly dropping in the ranking. This summer I was bouncing between spot 3-5 for search terms like "backpack europe" and backpacking europe" but now I'm hovering around spots 9 to 11. However, the top spots are now wikihow, a crappy huffpost article, about.com articles and a few other pretty worthless articles. Any ideas what I can do?
Here is my site: http://thesavvybackpacker.com

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KetTarma posted:

I am a little confused about Adsense. I signed up for it on the 3rd. I havent gotten any email saying I have been approved but the Adsense website says

Google says that my ads are active but even though I picked the "If no ads, show blank color" option, the area is just blank.

Is this normal? Have I misconfigured something?

I ran into this problem just a few days ago. If you're using Wordpress (which is assumed) then there's a default iframe css background-color (or similar). If you're using Chrome right click the blank area and click inspect element which will give you the css selector and the color on the right side if you browse a bit.

You'll need to change the css background color to transparent or something for the desired results if this is the case.

Edit: also if it's not a color thing (judging by your edit) then it takes Google a little bit to figure out what your website is about and give you relevant ads. Give it some time.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 8, 2014

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Reposting:

How do I get my ads off of Google's lovely AdChoices network and on to something better? I blocked a bunch of domains several years ago, but haven't done anything sense. My CPC has fallen from $0.88 to about $0.40 in the last year and a half.

Pageviews have also fallen, but that's because I was too lazy to update with new content.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

So I guess Google or Wordpress or something was hiding my ads from me so I couldnt accidently click on them. I dont know how long that's been the case but it's all working now. Someone suggested I try viewing my site in Incognito mode and that worked.

If anyone is bored and wants to tell me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong, my site is https://www.wirebiters.com
I've installed most of the suggested plugins and have been setting up social media accounts for the page. I'm still trying to figure out this SEO stuff.

I'm doing his site as a way to re-familiarize myself with some engineering fundamentals by writing articles about non-wikipedia-sperg-level theory while hopefully making a few dollars on the side. I figured I'd do some product reviews for hobby electronics stuff off of Amazon and include an affiliate link if someone wanted to use my materials list.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

So I guess Google or Wordpress or something was hiding my ads from me so I couldnt accidently click on them. I dont know how long that's been the case but it's all working now. Someone suggested I try viewing my site in Incognito mode and that worked.

If anyone is bored and wants to tell me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong, my site is https://www.wirebiters.com
I've installed most of the suggested plugins and have been setting up social media accounts for the page. I'm still trying to figure out this SEO stuff.

I'm doing his site as a way to re-familiarize myself with some engineering fundamentals by writing articles about non-wikipedia-sperg-level theory while hopefully making a few dollars on the side. I figured I'd do some product reviews for hobby electronics stuff off of Amazon and include an affiliate link if someone wanted to use my materials list.

Do you have an ad blocker installed? I use IE to check my sites since they don't show up in Chrome with Ad Block.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I think that the WP theme I have installed automatically hides ads from me so I dont accidently click them and get kicked off of Google. Didnt show up in IE with no addons.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I whitelist my own site to make sure the ads aren't messing things up (and to occasionally spot ads from places I'd rather not be advertising on my site)

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
With social media becoming more and more important to SEO, I've been trying to get more involved with it for my business. I'm currently having an issue with Google+, though. From my understanding, pages are created for businesses while profiles are created for individuals. I created a gmail account for my business and have since created a page in Google+ for it. The issue is Google+ is constantly asking me to create a profile.

I've tried using their resources (http://www.google.com/+/business/) and it still wants me to create a profile. I already have a personal Google+ profile. Should I just go ahead and associate a person with my business's Google+ profile? Should I create the profile as the business? I'm really trying to avoid screwing up and getting blacklisted by Google somehow. I've noticed not having a profile has kept me from being able to follow other businesses and has prevented me from using other features of the website.

This is also a similar issue with facebook. Being able to only interact with facebook as a business page has limited my ability to get exposure and connect with other users/businesses in my niche.

I've been out of the social media loop for some years now and kind of feel out of my element. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 10, 2014

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

snagger posted:

How do I get my ads off of Google's lovely AdChoices network and on to something better? I blocked a bunch of domains several years ago, but haven't done anything sense. My CPC has fallen from $0.88 to about $0.40 in the last year and a half.

Pageviews have also fallen, but that's because I was too lazy to update with new content.

Update on my ad situation. Lesson: update your ad code!

I was running ad code that was easily several years old. I swapped out the code on all my ad units and I saw a very healthy spike in my CTR and CPC since users were shown interest-based targeted ads.

This may turn konnichiwhoa.com into something worth spending time on.

Dr_Fappo
Nov 8, 2009
I´ve just started a blog on cupcake recipes. I followed all the advice provided in the op of this thread. If anyone would be so generous to have a look and give me some additional tips I´d be forever in debt to them.

https://www.cupcakerecipes.eu

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I have some dumb questions:

Should I be making new "pages" or new "posts"?
I've been making posts so far and can't tell if there's a difference or not. I'm writing as an engineering-theory with hobby electronics review site if it matters.

Do I need to purchase advertising before my site starts to see any real traffic? I have all the social media sites set up with automatic reposting so almost all of my traffic comes from people checking out my site from facebook page spam. I don't get a lot of people from google. I've been trying to optimize my keywords as best I can. I've also submitted sitemaps to everyone. Right now I'm seeing about 5-10 hits per day.

I'd be willing to throw a few dollars at paid ads if it has a good ROI.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I have some dumb questions:

Should I be making new "pages" or new "posts"?
I've been making posts so far and can't tell if there's a difference or not. I'm writing as an engineering-theory with hobby electronics review site if it matters.

Do I need to purchase advertising before my site starts to see any real traffic? I have all the social media sites set up with automatic reposting so almost all of my traffic comes from people checking out my site from facebook page spam. I don't get a lot of people from google. I've been trying to optimize my keywords as best I can. I've also submitted sitemaps to everyone. Right now I'm seeing about 5-10 hits per day.

I'd be willing to throw a few dollars at paid ads if it has a good ROI.

Think of pages as different pages on a website and posts as an actual blog post.

So you might have pages that are labeled Contact, About Us, Book A Meeting, etc, but your posts are all individual and part of a blog.

Do you have a Google Webmaster Tools account? (not analytics) You've submitted a site map there? Are you using any SEO plugins on Wordpress?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I had a Google analytics account although I just did the page highlighting portion. Everything else is good to go.

I have the Yoast SEO plugin installed and have been trying to use it. Truthfully though, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I tried to update my .htaccess file so I could use verbose URLs instead of index numbered URLs. Other than the keyword checking part of the SEO Im not sure what else to do.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I had a Google analytics account although I just did the page highlighting portion. Everything else is good to go.

I have the Yoast SEO plugin installed and have been trying to use it. Truthfully though, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I tried to update my .htaccess file so I could use verbose URLs instead of index numbered URLs. Other than the keyword checking part of the SEO Im not sure what else to do.

You can change the settings in your Wordpress. Just change it to like... foobar.com/blog-title/post-title. It gives you directions right in the settings. What are you unsure of about Yoast? Maybe we can clear it up. Edit: also get a Google Webmaster Tools account because there is a lot of valuable information in there as well as the ability to upload your sitemap.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

WP says that it doesn't have read/write permission and I have to manually update a .htaccess file ... somewhere.
When I try to switch over to verbose URLs, it says

quote:

If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.
code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

I have no .htaccess file in any of my directories on my server so I'm a little confused.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

WP says that it doesn't have read/write permission and I have to manually update a .htaccess file ... somewhere.
When I try to switch over to verbose URLs, it says

I have no .htaccess file in any of my directories on my server so I'm a little confused.

Just create one in your public_html, www, or http folder (whatever your root folder is). Open up Notepad and paste whatever it tells you to paste and save it as .htaccess and upload it. Boom, problem solved. :)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Looks like I got the automatic URL thing working now, hooray

Does that really help all that much? I made a google analytics account and did everything on there it would let me.
Submitted a sitemap to bing, yahoo, and google.
I have automatic facebook/twitter relays set up.

I guess I just dont know if I've done everything I need to.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

DoctorJones posted:

With social media becoming more and more important to SEO, I've been trying to get more involved with it for my business. I'm currently having an issue with Google+, though. From my understanding, pages are created for businesses while profiles are created for individuals. I created a gmail account for my business and have since created a page in Google+ for it. The issue is Google+ is constantly asking me to create a profile.

I've tried using their resources (http://www.google.com/+/business/) and it still wants me to create a profile. I already have a personal Google+ profile. Should I just go ahead and associate a person with my business's Google+ profile? Should I create the profile as the business? I'm really trying to avoid screwing up and getting blacklisted by Google somehow. I've noticed not having a profile has kept me from being able to follow other businesses and has prevented me from using other features of the website.

This is also a similar issue with facebook. Being able to only interact with facebook as a business page has limited my ability to get exposure and connect with other users/businesses in my niche.

I've been out of the social media loop for some years now and kind of feel out of my element. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
I did this, and...welp. You hosed it up. (as did I)

The *correct* way to do this is to:
Create your personal account - the one that's 'DoctorJonesTheGoon@gmail.com' or whatever.
Create a page for your business from this personal account FIRST.
Switch to the Page.
Select Page Settings from the profile link in the upper right.
Under Third Party Tools select Set Up a Password. It will assign you a username that's long and complicated and useless.
Once you've entered a password and -->on the confirmation page<-- there is a link.

quote:

If you want to pick your own username for this page, upgrade to Gmail.
At that point, you can pick a username (and you can't reuse the one you just used, even if you've deleted it - nor can you link the two...), and confirm your details.

After that, you'll probably want to google up how to Delegate your email to your personal account, so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing to the page admin account, then checking email for it - you'll have the account available as a dropdown from your primary/personal profile on the upper right in your personal Gmail account.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Going back to what somebody said about social media, is it worth spending 5bux to get a bunch of fake followers to generate interest? My social follower count has stayed pretty stubbornly at the same numbers even after adding a "click to follow one of our social sites" popup.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

What exactly is the point of fake followers? Do they do something for you?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So the logic goes, people see the increased number of followers (even if they are just cardboard cutouts) and think the site is worth following instead of seeing only ~25 people following the site now and thinking "its too small to bother with".

Alternatively, it might be worth paying for advertising or paying a very popular twitter user for some sponsored tweets.

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 13, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Zero Gravitas posted:

So the logic goes, people see the increased number of followers (even if they are just cardboard cutouts) and think the site is worth following instead of seeing only ~25 people following the site now and thinking "its too small to bother with".

Alternatively, it might be worth paying for advertising or paying a very popular twitter user for some sponsored tweets.

I tried buying FB fans. I got something like 3000 fans for $5. They were all gone about a month or two later. I'm not sure if it helped raise my street cred but it could have.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Watching my view counts tick up from trackers, bots and whatnot is both exciting and annoying. The numbers are going up!.... but they don't mean anything!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Does it help me in any way if people visit my site, read articles, but do not click anything? If so, how?

Wondering if that tenbux for a facebook ad was a total waste or not.
(At least I got a dozen Likes out of it, heh)

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Does it help me in any way if people visit my site, read articles, but do not click anything? If so, how?

Likes are good because now you can reach out to those people at any time.

Also people reading your content is good because that means they are reading it. When more discover it, they will probably read it too. Once there are a ton of people reading, there will be people clicking.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

KetTarma posted:

Work on your conversions. Every article, every page should have several calls to action, typically the best of these is to get an email subscription. You may need bait. Look into something like OptinSkin for easy CTA creation. Mailchimp is free for a low subscriber amount.

Also work on giving new visitors opportunities to engage further with your content. On blogs I really think a sidebar with a Start Here or New Here? section with your best articles linked works well, as does an "About the Author" section with a headshot, brief bio, social links. Humanize the site, people like people (also author bio under article along with CTA). And of course, related posts under every article. You can even get fancy using Hellobar and other such engagement tools to drive those visitors to sub to email or social or to a landing page about the site, with links to best articles, etc.

Do not, however, cover your site with display ads unless they're really profitable. Not only will it drop your quality score, it turns new visitors off. You can slowly ramp up display ads as the site ages and the audience/traffic solidifies.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I've made about $7 from display ads and $0.24 from affiliate links this month. I guess that covers my maintenance fees.

Someone told me last night "Your front end is horrible and your site takes too long to load from all the poo poo you have running"

I rearranged things a little and removed some widgets. I'm kind of clueless on styles and just picked what I thought was a pretty premium wordpress theme.

Every post has a short bio of the author (I am the only one though) so I have that covered. I switched to my personal twitter account for linking per someone's advice.

I'll look into the OptinSkin and try to get that set up the next time I go to make major changes. I think I know how to set up a featured articles scrollbar on the side. Should I change the theme or layout or anything while I'm at it?
Here's my site: https://www.wirebiters.com

I'm a little worried that I wasted money on a bad theme based on what that guy said.

• Locked thread