Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how Darksied was actually defeated Clark flew through him and poof

You forgot to mention that Aquaman showed up for a few minutes out of the whole series. I remember him blowing up an oil rig, because that will totally stop the rape of the oceans and not spill billions of gallons of oil.

They did also have the 90s reboot verison of Starman, straight down to the piercings and grunge attire. And I honestly liked Daniel Jackson as Hawkman.

Seasons 8-10 were okay as they were Justice League the TV show. The only problem is that Superman was not Superman, and all the other stupid poo poo that Smallville was famous for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

You forgot to mention that Aquaman showed up for a few minutes out of the whole series. I remember him blowing up an oil rig, because that will totally stop the rape of the oceans and not spill billions of gallons of oil.

They did also have the 90s reboot verison of Starman, straight down to the piercings and grunge attire. And I honestly liked Daniel Jackson as Hawkman.

I was going through this list of heroes who appeared in Smallville, and I don't know what's worst = the costumes that look like the comicbook counterparts (which look so cheap and plastic) or the ones that don't look anything like the counterparts. Also I see that Black Canary had the painted on mask, something carried over to Arrow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I forgot about the Wonder Twins being on Smallville.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The character chat made me curious and I started looking on them, is it possible than pretty Waller started with Smallville? Other thing than I found odd is Adam's Knight character since I can see the comics' Talon being influenced by him (magical serum than reanimates the dead, he lived at the Talon).

Probably just :tinfoil: nonsense but I'll laugh my rear end off if Smallville elements actually wormed their way into the comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The Aquaman stuff was because they were planning a spin off and they actually made a pilot for it but it didn't get picked up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The Aquaman stuff was because they were planning a spin off and they actually made a pilot for it but it didn't get picked up.

Aquaman was also played by the actor who they got to play the Green Arrow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The character chat made me curious and I started looking on them, is it possible than pretty Waller started with Smallville? Other thing than I found odd is Adam's Knight character since I can see the comics' Talon being influenced by him (magical serum than reanimates the dead, he lived at the Talon).

Probably just :tinfoil: nonsense but I'll laugh my rear end off if Smallville elements actually wormed their way into the comics.

gently caress no, Pam Grier as Waller is pretty much the second best choice next to CCH Pounder. And she was at least 'TV' heavy (meaning she was a size 12)

And there's always been speculation that Adam started as an attempt to slip Bruce Wayne into the show, and the later craziness came when they realised they couldn't do the reveal and were stuck with a character who no longer had a payoff.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Seasons 8-10 were okay as they were Justice League the TV show. The only problem is that Superman was not Superman, and all the other stupid poo poo that Smallville was famous for.

The whiplash of the show's direction from when the original showrunners (who never really cared about Superman, they just got lucky to be able to slap the Superman license on what would've been a male Buffy show) to the other producers is really funny. Clark is suddenly written as 10X more proactive and investigative as soon as the previous guys were out the door.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

And isn't that why he disappeared from DCAU, much like a lot of things because apparently audiences are stupid

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

He was barely ever in the DCAU to be fair. But even the DCAU fell victim to the Bat Embargo, didn't it? JLU basically had Batman and no one else from his books for a while, because apparently that would confuse people who watched Batman Begins.

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern, actually.

"What the gently caress Hollywood? Why did they make him white?!"

Granted JLU was cancelled by then, but it was running on plenty of channels.

Green Lantern was a special case, because there has pretty much not been one GL character since the Golden Age version. Additionally, the cartoon went with a lesser known GL and introduced a lot of people to the GL in general through him and kind of proved that you didn't need to be put older versions of the character on a pedestal to make it successful, so suddenly seeing Ryan Reynolds play the older, white version of the character was kind of a slap in the face to a lot of newer fans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

I was going through this list of heroes who appeared in Smallville, and I don't know what's worst = the costumes that look like the comicbook counterparts (which look so cheap and plastic) or the ones that don't look anything like the counterparts. Also I see that Black Canary had the painted on mask, something carried over to Arrow.

Wow Black Canary looked awful. Its weird based on the style of costumes every else has, they couldn't have left her leather jacket?

Its kind of strange looking how some of the outfits look really good, Dr Fate and Hawkman, but the rest are that terrible superhero costume design philosophy that you see now.

Oh Zatanna.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dr. Fate did not look so good in motion. And Hawkman's wings often felt way too small when they were on screen.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Its kind of strange looking how some of the outfits look really good, Dr Fate and Hawkman

I didn't watch the show so maybe I'm talking out my rear end but from those screenshots, those two wouldn't look out of place on power rangers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wow Black Canary looked awful. Its weird based on the style of costumes every else has, they couldn't have left her leather jacket?

She did have a jacket sometimes.

It didn't help.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They did also have the 90s reboot verison of Starman, straight down to the piercings and grunge attire.

Seriously? I'm a huge Starman fan, and I would have watched Smallville if Jack Knight appeared.

This list includes Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton), and it looks like he wore a leather jacket like Jack's over his costume and might have a cosmic rod similar to Jack's. Was that who you meant?
http://www.listal.com/list/superheroes-of-smallville

That list also left off Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes), who appeared right before the series ended. I actually did watch that one, and they even included Ted Kord as a shady industrialist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And as I recall, the Kid was mainly there to lead into Stargirl's appearance.

I'll give you 3 guesses who wrote that episode.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Wasn't there going to be a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series at some point? What happened there?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There was definitely supposed to be a Starman series, perhaps produced by some of the Smallville people, but it went into development hell because Birds of Prey was such a failure. I remember all of James Robinson and Tony Harris' casting suggestions that would have been incredible, like Justin Theroux as Jack Knight and Jonathan Pryce as the Shade.

I'm still looking forward to the rumored Booster Gold series, honestly. In this celebrity-obsessed age, a superhero obsessed with fame and fortune who still manages to do the right thing would be an interesting counterpoint to pretty much every other DC and Marvel hero.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mimir posted:

Wasn't there going to be a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series at some point? What happened there?

A live action Blue Beetle series would probably be too expensive since it would require quite a bit of CG.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

He was barely ever in the DCAU to be fair. But even the DCAU fell victim to the Bat Embargo, didn't it? JLU basically had Batman and no one else from his books for a while, because apparently that would confuse people who watched Batman Begins.

Green Lantern was a special case, because there has pretty much not been one GL character since the Golden Age version. Additionally, the cartoon went with a lesser known GL and introduced a lot of people to the GL in general through him and kind of proved that you didn't need to be put older versions of the character on a pedestal to make it successful, so suddenly seeing Ryan Reynolds play the older, white version of the character was kind of a slap in the face to a lot of newer fans.

No, JLU had a ton of Batman, just no supporting characters or villains of Batman.

Also, as far as GL goes, even before John was the GL on JLU, Kyle Rayner was the first Lantern that got introduced on Superman:TAS. They were all about not using Hal Jordan in the DCAU. Y'know, aside from that one fantastic gag in the time travel episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kyle was still a GL in the DCAU but he mostly stayed in space.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seriously? I'm a huge Starman fan, and I would have watched Smallville if Jack Knight appeared.

This list includes Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton), and it looks like he wore a leather jacket like Jack's over his costume and might have a cosmic rod similar to Jack's. Was that who you meant?
http://www.listal.com/list/superheroes-of-smallville

Yea, I mean it wasn't exact, but it was pretty close. It was a pretty obscure character to use.

ToastyPotato posted:

Dr. Fate did not look so good in motion. And Hawkman's wings often felt way too small when they were on screen.

I think hawkmans wings were a more manageable size for real life.

Aphrodite posted:

She did have a jacket sometimes.

It didn't help.

Ugh. its crazy because the outfit she wears is pretty basic; bodysuit, fishnets, combat boots and a black leather jacket. She sounds like an extra from a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video, but its not as out there as pretty much everyone else is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A live action Blue Beetle series would probably be too expensive since it would require quite a bit of CG.

No way, just have him be a regular teen with a blue plastic wristband that emits terrible-looking blue lens flares occasionally whenever he needs to use his "powers", and make sure he never says the word "beetle" ever no matter what. He can fight really poorly thought out metaphors for drug addiction and get sage advice from his physics teacher, Mr. Kord.

And then it can be on the air or 10 loving years and never be any good even for a single moment dear God someone help me forget about Smallville's existence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh. its crazy because the outfit she wears is pretty basic; bodysuit, fishnets, combat boots and a black leather jacket. She sounds like an extra from a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video, but its not as out there as pretty much everyone else is.

I'm curious how Arrow will go, especially when they already have one Canary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I'm curious how Arrow will go, especially when they already have one Canary.

80's Justice League headband outfit, so no-one's happy.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Mimir posted:

It was in development, but I don't think it ever got further than producing some test footage.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Batman '66 is officially coming to DVD.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seriously, so jazzed about that, even if the cameos are hacked to pieces.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Okay that is the only TV show release that matters now. :allears:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yay, best telly-related news in ages.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Yay, best telly-related news in ages.

This and Miracleman in one year! Whats next?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

This and Miracleman in one year! Whats next?
Definitely not Wonder Woman:

quote:

"It all depends on the script. We were very careful with Arrow and we’re being very careful with Flash," Pedowitz said of the Stephen Amell series and Grant Gustin Flash pilot in the works at the network. "These are iconic characters so we’re going to be very careful with Wonder Woman. You only get one shot before you get bit."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So at this point it would take an even bigger rear end-pull than usual for them to beat Jessica Jones to production/air. Bravo, DC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

So at this point it would take an even bigger rear end-pull than usual for them to beat Jessica Jones to production/air. Bravo, DC.

Depends how the Netflix shows are going to be produced. If it's simultaneously, yes. But it's more likely to be one at a time over the course of 2015 and into 2016, and it seems pretty clear that Daredevil's up first, so they could conceivably get a Wonder Woman show on in the '15 fall season if the Flash series goes well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Two Agents of SHIELD shows. Jesus wept.

I do trust the team behind Reaper slightly more though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?

Invaders?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Does anyone on this planet care about Peggy Carter? I mean really?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Invaders?

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, after SHIELD I should be cautious, but this actually sounds really cool. Since the MCU isn't using a much of Marvel's WWII stuff, maybe that means they are at greater liberty to actually use the already established lore instead of making up their, less interesting version.

Give me Agent Carter, leading the Howling Commandos and the Invaders.