Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ersatz posted:

Scientists aren't human?

Just in case you're genuinely confused and not being pedantic:

In the context of a film, claiming "scientists act like scientists" mean that they should adhere to a higher order of logic than the common found-footage jackasses. By and large, these people do not. The above are examples how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

In the context of a film, claiming "scientists act like scientists" mean that they should adhere to a higher order of logic than the common found-footage jackasses. By and large, these people do not. The above are examples how.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but what they were dealing with was so outside of everything they know and are familiar with that their actions were somewhat understandable.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

oops :(

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

I work with PhD scientists and engineers and, although they're typically knowledgeable and capable, I wouldn't say that they're above petty squabbles, or having nervous breakdowns under extreme stress. I also know plenty of mathematicians and computer scientists who are great at applying logic on the job but who have as much trouble doing the same in their every day lives as anyone else. The characters in Europa seemed pretty realistic to me.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 15, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't watched the film yet, but the idea that scientists adhere to a higher form of logic is pretty ridiculous. They're just as prone to stupid biases, biotruth nonsense, and dumb fallacies as most human beings. It wasn't so long ago that phrenology was a popular theory.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ersatz posted:

I work with PhD scientists and engineers and, although they're typically knowledgeable and capable, I wouldn't say that they're above petty squabbles, or having nervous breakdowns under extreme stress. I also know plenty of mathematicians and computer scientists who are great at applying logic on the job but have trouble doing the same in their every day lives. The characters in Europa seemed pretty realistic to me.

Fair enough. But again, in the context of a film--especially a genre film--claiming that "scientists act like scientists" means that the characters should behave rationally and act first and foremost on logical conclusions. Your argument is that the scientists act like humans, and maybe they do bear some resemblance to your coworkers. My condolences if they do. My argument is that the scientists are indistinguishable from the characters in most other horror movies.

Chichevache posted:

I haven't watched the film yet, but the idea that scientists adhere to a higher form of logic is pretty ridiculous. They're just as prone to stupid biases, biotruth nonsense, and dumb fallacies as most human beings. It wasn't so long ago that phrenology was a popular theory.

Then claiming "the scientists act like scientists" has no value whatsoever. By that logic the cast of every movie ever acts like scientists.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sarchasm posted:

Fair enough. But again, in the context of a film--especially a genre film--claiming that "scientists act like scientists" means that the characters should behave rationally and act first and foremost on logical conclusions. Your argument is that the scientists act like humans, and maybe they do bear some resemblance to your coworkers. My condolences if they do. My argument is that the scientists are indistinguishable from the characters in most other horror movies.

Then claiming "the scientists act like scientists" has no value whatsoever. By that logic the cast of every movie ever acts like scientists.

What makes a person a scientist is doing, you know, science. Having a PHD in physics doesn't make a person a cold calculating robot, MBAs do that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

They do, for the most part, stay focused on their mission despite some pretty terrible circumstances, with several characters setting aside their own physical well-being in the pursuit of scientific discovery. I wouldn't expect the average person to do that, and the whole self-sacrifice for the sake of scientific knowledge thing may be what people are referring to when they say that these characters act like scientists.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

You're exaggerating to be funny, but you're wrong. The breakdown happens months into the mission, after one of the other astronauts dies saving him. And even then he keeps his poo poo together through the end of the movie, when it seems like we're going to have a psycho crew member plot as he's looking out the window. But the movie doesn't go that way. If you're hinting at the chatty scientist who gets very homesick a year into the mission, it was a plot point to give a sense of the isolation you'd feel on the ship. So again, I'd disagree.

Compare that to the jackassery on display in a movie like Prometheus, where people get into danger in order to spur the plot. Here, the opposite happens — they're constantly trying to contain danger out of their control. And they're seeking consensus in a way I found believable. For example, when the woman is possibly on the verge of discovering other signs of intelligent life during her spacewalk, and she decides to go to the more dangerous area, she asks the crew first. Who say go for it, we're already this far.

I just saw it last weekend so it's fresh in my mind. Not saying the movie is perfect, but it would be more interesting to discuss if you have any actual examples.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Well, I guess we're just going to have to disagree, though both of you make good points. Where you see a person putting themselves at risk for scientific discovery I see the babysitter wandering down into the cellar with a flashlight.

Edit: Don't even get me started on Prometheus.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Where you see a person putting themselves at risk for scientific discovery I see the babysitter wandering down into the cellar with a flashlight.
Fair enough.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Well, I guess we're just going to have to disagree, though both of you make good points. Where you see a person putting themselves at risk for scientific discovery I see the babysitter wandering down into the cellar with a flashlight.

Edit: Don't even get me started on Prometheus.

Yes, agree to disagree. But just to reiterate, because I liked this point a lot — when they decide to go for it at the end of the movie, we're reminded that they've been on this mission for two years, had two crew members die, and have been cut off from earth for a YEAR. With all the time ellipses it might be easy to forget that. It also sets up over and over again the existential crisis of "What's the point unless we find ANYTHING? Is a non-discovery really enough for people who are dedicating their lives to this?" Anyways thanks for the movie chat, I wanted to talk with someone about this movie immediately after I saw it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The majority of the horror films I seen I often come out of it thinking "yeah people are dumb enough to behave that way."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

mr.capps posted:

The majority of the horror films I seen I often come out of it thinking "yeah people are dumb enough to behave that way."

For a group of people known for being thoroughly cynical about the intelligence and reasoning of their fellow man, nerds have an astonishingly high faith in the intelligence of people in movies.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

I'm looking for movies with gorgeous, stylize cinematography, particularly if thy are surreal, dreamlike, etc. . I realize this is incredibly broad request. I like action movies, spy movies & thrillers, but I am open to any genre of films as long as they are visually beautiful - so please suggest to me the films with your favorite cinematography.

For reference, I like the movies of Lynch, Parajanov, Jodorowsky, Kenneth Anger ... I recently watch Only God Forgives, which I thought was sort of boring & pretentious but I enjoy it thoroughly because it was very stylish & dreamlike.

afgrunden fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 15, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

afgrunden posted:

I'm looking for movies with gorgeous, stylize cinematography, particularly if thy are surreal, dreamlike, etc. . I realize this is incredibly broad request. I like action movies, spy movies & thrillers, but I am open to any genre of films as long as they are visually beautiful - so please suggest to me the films with your favorite cinematography.

For reference, I like the movies of Lynch, Parajanov, Jodorowsky... I recently watch Only God Forgives, which I thought was sort of boring & pretentious but I enjoy it thoroughly because it was very stylish & dreamlike.

If you're purely interested in visuals you could check out Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

afgrunden posted:

For reference, I like the movies of Lynch, Parajanov, Jodorowsky... I recently watch Only God Forgives, which I thought was sort of boring & pretentious but I enjoy it thoroughly because it was very stylish & dreamlike.

Melancholia definitely fits the bill here. Dredd seems like a go-to for you, it's the most stylish action movie in recent memory.

Others that spring to mind:

To the Wonder
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Punch Drunk Love
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Lost in Translation
Upstream Color

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

General Battuta posted:

If you're purely interested in visuals you could check out Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Criminal Minded posted:

Melancholia definitely fits the bill here. Dredd seems like a go-to for you, it's the most stylish action movie in recent memory.

Others that spring to mind . . .

Thank you both for the suggestions. I am going to watch Beyond the Black Rainbow tonight !

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
I finally got around to watching The Hunt and wooow, what a gigantic punch in the gut. Hard to watch but impossible to turn away; I wanna go curl up in a little ball. One of the most emotionally draining movies I've seen, but I thought it was really fantastic. Highly recommend it if you can get yourself in the mood.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

afgrunden posted:

For reference, I like the movies of Lynch, Parajanov, Jodorowsky, Kenneth Anger ... I recently watch Only God Forgives, which I thought was sort of boring & pretentious but I enjoy it thoroughly because it was very stylish & dreamlike.

Refn, the director of Only God Forgives, has several other movies up. You'd probably enjoy Valhalla Rising. Also Drive, which is absolutely amazing.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
I can't believe I have put off Hanna for so long, but goddamn, that movie is so good.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

blood_dot_biz posted:

I finally got around to watching The Hunt and wooow, what a gigantic punch in the gut. Hard to watch but impossible to turn away; I wanna go curl up in a little ball. One of the most emotionally draining movies I've seen, but I thought it was really fantastic. Highly recommend it if you can get yourself in the mood.

The one with Mads from 2012 that is currently streaming, right? Not the one that looks like poo poo from 2006?

I'm still kind of scarred from getting Trick Or Treat instead of Trick 'R Treat and thus need clarification.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

Skywalker OG posted:

The one with Mads from 2012 that is currently streaming, right? Not the one that looks like poo poo from 2006?

I'm still kind of scarred from getting Trick Or Treat instead of Trick 'R Treat and thus need clarification.

Yeah, I'm talking about the 2012 film directed by Thomas Vinterberg, but I haven't seen that 2006 supernatural reboot of The Most Dangerous Game, so I don't really have a good reason to deter anyone from watching it if that's the movie of the two that draws their eye.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Act of Killing is now streaming

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

gently caress yes. I've been waiting for months to see that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wilhelm Scream posted:

:stare:

Everybody watch this if you haven't already. It's incredibly powerful, so just make sure you're ready to see a movie like that before you watch it.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend movies that don't fit the Hollywood mold? Such as depressing or obscure endings/climaxes, the bad guy winning, or anything else that goes against the grain of traditional movies (resolved/happy endings, protagonist winning etc). Movies like a Requiem for a Dream I guess, one that will leave you depressed by the end of the film.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wilhelm Scream posted:

OH gently caress YES. I missed this in the theater because I was out of town throughout its entire run at the Alamo because I'm awful.

im gay posted:

Can anyone recommend movies that don't fit the Hollywood mold? Such as depressing or obscure endings/climaxes, the bad guy winning, or anything else that goes against the grain of traditional movies (resolved/happy endings, protagonist winning etc). Movies like a Requiem for a Dream I guess, one that will leave you depressed by the end of the film.

South Korean movies for sure. Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Chaser, The Host, among others. Also Stoker (from director of Vengeance trilogy) is pretty good too, although its Hollywood. I hear Pieta was very good as well.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 15, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

afgrunden posted:

If you want a movie that is almost nothing but stylized cinematography and is a dream like trip you might try Daft Punk's Electroma; it's pretty drat odd, yet enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktedEO8joU

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 15, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

im gay posted:

The Comedy
Punch-Drunk Love
There Will Be Blood
Antichrist (warning, it's very depressing and :stonk:)
Dead Man (or any Jarmusch movie)
World's Greatest Dad
Dogtooth (especially this!)

By the way, when did Dogtooth get added again? It's been long enough for me to watch it and get depressed all over again. Seriously, everyone should watch this once.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Franchescanado posted:

By the way, when did Dogtooth get added again? It's been long enough for me to watch it and get depressed all over again. Seriously, everyone should watch this once.

Its been quite a while actually. Several months. Everyone should watch it though. Its one of my all time favorites.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

afgrunden posted:

Most of the stuff I've seen by Tarsem has been great: The Fall, The Cell, Mirror Mirror, Immortals. Of those, I enjoyed the story and the visuals the most in The Fall, but they're all visually impressive. This is a pretty far cry from the directors and the movies you've listed, but the Wachowski's Speed Racer movie is full of gorgeous colorful visuals. You'll know after the first 15 minutes if it's what you're looking for.

Looks like Mirror, Mirror is on Netflix USA. Immortals and Speed Racer are availabe in other regions. You should totally track down a copy of The Fall though. It's fantastic.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MeaningOfLife posted:

I can't believe I have put off Hanna for so long, but goddamn, that movie is so good.

This made me think it was on Netflix. :(

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jolo posted:

Most of the stuff I've seen by Tarsem has been great: The Fall, The Cell, Mirror Mirror, Immortals. Of those, I enjoyed the story and the visuals the most in The Fall, but they're all visually impressive. This is a pretty far cry from the directors and the movies you've listed, but the Wachowski's Speed Racer movie is full of gorgeous colorful visuals. You'll know after the first 15 minutes if it's what you're looking for.

Looks like Mirror, Mirror is on Netflix USA. Immortals and Speed Racer are availabe in other regions. You should totally track down a copy of The Fall though. It's fantastic.

Picture quality is a big deal with all of those movies too. I'd get blu ray rentals before I'd stream, if possible.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

afgrunden posted:

Those are four of my favorite directors, especially Anger. Movies of their type come on and off the service, so I'll recommend you some that are on right now and some that you should look out for if they're put back on (or if you find them through other means).

FORMERLY ON NETFLIX
The Paul Morrissey trilogy will remind you of Anger, both in the real, unscripted nature of the acting, and its overt sexual themes. Joe Dallesandro is absolutely amazing in all three of these movies, but an utterly garbage actor in anything else. Holly Woodlawn deserved recognition for her excellent work in Trash, which is the best of the three. All produced by Andy Warhol, I also wouldn't recommend any of his other major releases, except Women in Revolt, starring the always lovely Candy Darling.
Flesh
Trash
Heat

Santa Sangre by Jodorowsky is not as good as Holy Mountain, El Topo or Fando y Lis, but still watchable.
Elephant Man by Lynch is excellent, though quite unlike Eraserhead.
Fellini Satyricon was removed recently. Surreal pictures tend to be poorly funded, this one was not and is as hedonistic as it should be.
Un Chien Andalou is so OG surreal, a young Dali himself is in it.

CURRENTLY ON NETFLIX
L'Age d'Or - You're to far removed from the time this was made to fully enjoy it, but its by Luis Buñuel and Dali
Passion of Anna - Anything by Ingmar Bergman starring Max von Sydow deserves a look.
Dogtooth - won the Academy Award for Best Foreign film and deserved it. This is not a good date movie.
Human Centipede - This is even less a good date film than Dogtooth. I feel they're similar in a way. Look past the hype of the gimmick, the cinematography is beautiful and the man actor well chosen
Holy Motors - Basically the definition of a dreamlike movie you're looking for.
Antichrist - Lars von Trier
Melancholia - Lars von Trier
Sleeping Beauty - feels like a Lars von Trier
Upstream Color
Death Watch - Half early 80s grindhouse, half excellent Harvey Keitel. If you like this, watch Bad Lieutenant.
Twin Peaks - TV series by Lynch. Personally I think its just ok and the second season is not worth the time.
Frozen - Imagine if Anger had been born in China during the 80s
Telephone Book - hyper sexualized late 60s art film. Very good.
Enter the Void - A modern "trip" that I could compare to Anger's Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome

Honorable Mention: watch Easy Rider on Amazon Prime. Before they decided to make a bunch of money in action films, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholas were well respected artists in cinema. This is not the macho biker movie most in our generation assume it is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ChineseConnection posted:

:words:
Human Centipede
:words:

I need to check out a few of those movies, awesome post. I do want to mention that I think Human Centipede 2 improves on the first in every single way, to the point of being nauseatingly unsettling. It's a hard movie to watch, but is very well filmed, has excellent cinematography, and well-executed sound design. It's fantastic in execution, but just so hard to watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Criminal Minded posted:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

Be careful recommending this to someone, because it's a HELL of a movie. The sets and cinematography are gorgeous, and it's a very majestic movie, all of which only heightens how hosed-up the movie is. Within the first couple minutes of the movie, Albus Dumbledore forces a man to literally eat poo poo, and it only gets more depraved from there. It's fantastic, but don't watch it unless you have some recovery time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

afgrunden posted:

I'm looking for movies with gorgeous, stylize cinematography

Bertolucci's The Last Emperor has beautiful cinematography. It's slow, languid and meditative in its pacing. I don't know about dreamlike and certainly not surreal but just a feast for the eyes.

Edit: 12 Years a Slave also has incredible stylized cinematography if you are up for a trip to the theater. As does "Shame", one of McQueen's other films.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

im gay posted:

Aw I was going to recommend Spoorlos ("The Vanishing", original Dutch version) but it's not on streaming right now. If you can get the DVD, watch that.

It's already kind of spoiled by showing up as a recommendation here but... I don't think you'd expect the ending that you get in any event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

im gay posted:

House Of Sand And Fog immediately comes to mind as being tragic and depressing but full of outstanding performances and beautiful cinematography.

Edit: poo poo, I thought it was on Netflix but it isn't. I must have seen it listed on Amazon Prime. I switch between the two so often I forget which is which.

Edit2: Well gently caress. It isn't on Amazon Prime either.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 15, 2014

• Locked thread