Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Bisse posted:

A crucial difference is that bleach does not and never will contain tentacle rape.

We still haven't seen Shunsui's bankai...

If anyone has a tenticles rape bankai it's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't there some weirdass tentacle girlboy arrancar way back who got offed by Grimjaw?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wasn't there some weirdass tentacle girlboy arrancar way back who got offed by Grimjaw?

Luppi was his name.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure Luppi did more to Rangiku and was more explicit about it than what's happening in Fairy Tail frankly. All that's happened in Fairy Tail is someone forbid a tentacle monster from touching their captive and said monster looked lecherously at them after the captor left. And it's pretty much a dead certainty that Erza will escape and beat said monster to a pulp easily next chapter.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Bisse posted:

A crucial difference is that bleach does not and never will contain tentacle rape.

Well, gently caress everything :-(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bisse posted:

Neither does Fairy Tail.

e: Yet.

KoB fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure Luppi did more to Rangiku and was more explicit about it than what's happening in Fairy Tail frankly. All that's happened in Fairy Tail is someone forbid a tentacle monster from touching their captive and said monster looked lecherously at them after the captor left. And it's pretty much a dead certainty that Erza will escape and beat said monster to a pulp easily next chapter.

Bleach also has Yhwach keeping a half-naked Harribel chained up, Loly and Menoly tearing at Orihime's clothes while invading her personal space, one of the other Arrancars shoving his fingers down Orihime's throat, and Numb Chandelier outright threatening Tatsuki with gang rape (although the last one was changed in the anime). There's a surprising amount of implications of sexual violence in Bleach. There is a difference, though; Bleach tends to be a lot less fanservicey about it than Fairy Tail, because matching Mashima's level of shamelessness/tastelessness is hard.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 11, 2014

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Don't forget "adult" Nel

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KoB posted:

Neither does Fairy Tail.
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/365/2200/17 The amount we need to go closer is measured in inches here

As creepy as Bleach has historically gotten I've never thought to put a NWS warning on a link. On that note, did Tite ever explain the deal at all with the Harribel thing?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Is...is that a female Fresia?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

Bleach tends to be a lot less fanservicey about it than Fairy Tail, because matching Mashima's level of shamelessness/tastelessness is hard.

Honestly I'd say the Harribel thing is probably more creepy and shameless than anything Mashima has done now that you remind me of it, given how it's yet to have any actual point and seems to have been forgotten entirely. Mashima draws more of it, but Tite is worse in what he draws I think.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Spiderdrake posted:

On that note, did Tite ever explain the deal at all with the Harribel thing?

They're keeping the strongest Hollow alive as a prisoner to make the others more willing to follow Ywach's orders. Anything more is just people reading what they want to out of it.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Didn't Kubo leave Coyote Stark's death as possibly reversible? Like they had a chart of who was alive, who was dead for sure, and a few maybes as well.

Killing him was a huge disappointment.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

Didn't Kubo leave Coyote Stark's death as possibly reversible? Like they had a chart of who was alive, who was dead for sure, and a few maybes as well.

Killing him was a huge disappointment.

He was on the "Almost certainly dead" list IIRC.

I think I already ranted about my feelings on that in this thread once already.
tl;dr version, I agree

I watched the anime first, and I thought Tsukishima looked a lot like Stark at first. I was hoping that arc was going to be about him having holed up in Karakura after the war and randomly having to fight Ichigo for some reason. :smith:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Bisse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAwYRW1Cz0c&t=744s

I know it's filler

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hagie posted:

Is...is that a female Fresia?

Frieza's supposed to be a guy??

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm pretty sure that came up in the manga though too for some reason. At least I seem to recall stumbling across it in a manga read after I watched the anime and wondering why the gently caress that wasn't just filler.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think it was some goofy 4komas in the manga that got turned into a big thing in the anime because Japan Loves Beach Episodes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spiderdrake posted:

As creepy as Bleach has historically gotten I've never thought to put a NWS warning on a link.
Well, Ichigo's mom got naked.
And Rukia's butt.
Thankfully, that's about it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Then you have Rangiku commenting on her tits about to fall out, or being cumbersome.

You know, playfully though.

You also have Yuroichi in some hot springs after she changes from cat form.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
That's all played for comedy though. Rukia's rear end for example is drawn and framed with a total disregard for fanservice. Bleach has more hunky dudes muscle posing than sexy cheesecake shots, I think. Whereas Fairy Tail is like two steps away from that one WSJ manga about a guy trying to bone his cousin or whatever the gently caress.

I haven't read it in forever, but I am somehow totally unsurprised Fairy Tail is doing an arc where the two awesome asskicking girls in the guild are held prisoner in a creepy BDSM castle and notLuffy has to throw Bowser into a lava moat or whatever to rescue them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, because Bleach readers of all people have a right to complain about stories where the rear end-kicking female suddenly has to be rescued from jail by the series' notLuffy. They may have not have had creepy BDSM dungeons, but Ywach does. And Aizen designed a tentacle rape monster just in case.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

tsob posted:

Yea, because Bleach readers of all people have a right to complain about stories where the rear end-kicking female suddenly has to be rescued from jail by the series' notLuffy.

Just to be clear, you're saying Rukia and Orihime were competent "rear end-kicking" female characters, right?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wrist Watch posted:

Just to be clear, you're saying Rukia and Orihime were competent "rear end-kicking" female characters, right?

I'm saying Rukia was at the time that she was suddenly captured and just decided to sit demurely in jail for god knows how many chapters at the very least, yes. Orihime might not have been, but then, Mira-Jane isn't exactly the archetype of an rear end-kicking female either considering what her normal appearance in a given chapter is likely to be.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tsob posted:

Yea, because Bleach readers of all people have a right to complain about stories where the rear end-kicking female suddenly has to be rescued from jail by the series' notLuffy. They may have not have had creepy BDSM dungeons, but Ywach does. And Aizen designed a tentacle rape monster just in case.
Eh, it's still not the same and you know it. The creepo elements of Bleach need to be highlighted and stretched out, like I don't even remember what you're talking about with a tentacle rape monster made by Aizen. Luppi? Either way, gotta agree with this:

quote:

Whereas Fairy Tail is like two steps away from that one WSJ manga about a guy trying to bone his cousin or whatever the gently caress.
I'm the sorta guy who typically gets turned off by even the slightest amount of fanservice or creepo/pandering poo poo in manga, it's a personal affront to me as a reader, with Bleach it never felt constantly overt. You'd get the occasional chapter or maybe some bikini beach manga cover you quickly flipped past but they'd be so few that'd you'd forget them. With Fairy Tail it looks like every chapter involves some sort of weird fanservice.
Even with the creepo factor aside, FT always felt like "Babby's First Shonen" to me. Not that Bleach is good or anything, but Bleach was at least fresh at some point in the distant past...Fairy Tail hits a level of "generic Shonen" that reminds me of a "So You Want to Draw Manga!!!" book in a Barnes and Noble or some poo poo. I swear I almost remember (when I was giving it a chance) there being some sort of Kid's Meal level activity/minigame for readers in one of the Fairy Tail chapters or something, but I'm probably just creating that memory.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Eh, it's still not the same and you know it.

Actually, I don't. I differentiate between fanservice and creepy fanservice and while Fairy Tail has oodles of fan-service not much of it is creepy, mostly just kind of annoying and a bit too overt for it's own good. Bleach has more genuinely creepy fanservice to me even if there's less fanservice overall by a long shot. The thing everyone's complaining about in the latest chapter of Fairy Tail for instance is actually rather tame in my view because it's only a creepy look, which plenty of manga have characters indulge in. poo poo, One Piece has had worse. Recently at that, given that Robin had gnomes walking around in her bra and commenting about her chest.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tsob posted:

Actually, I don't. I differentiate between fanservice and creepy fanservice and while Fairy Tail has oodles of fan-service not much of it is creepy, mostly just kind of annoying and a bit too overt for it's own good. Bleach has more genuinely creepy fanservice to me even if there's less fanservice overall by a long shot.
So the fanservice in Fairy Tail is...overt and obvious but not creepy? What makes fanservice "creepy"? Personally I find all fanservice creepy, but I'd say it becomes creepier the more overt it is, since fanservice is all about being gratuitous. The more overt it is, the more it's fanservice. How is the Halibel thing creepier than the actual tentacle rape that is basically happening in that chapter of Fairy Tail?
You're telling me this isn't creepy? Seriously? What page in Bleach is creepier than this (which appears to be a major plot situation)? Halibel as Slave Leia for a single page, totally forgotten from then on?
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/365/2200/17
It seems to me every other chapter of Fairy Tail features some prominent balloon tits for the kiddies. Those are regular characters from what I can tell. At least with Bleach those characters don't get much screentime. When's the last time you even remember seeing Rangiku?
I'm going to just jump into another Fairy Tail chapter to look at.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fairy-Tail/Fairy-Tail-312--Threesomes?id=151466#22
Ohhh...uhhh...huhhh...to each their own bro. :v: We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
A tentacle monster leering at a woman is rape now? That's good to know. And no, I don't find that creepy. I didn't even note the page until I came in to this and the Fairy Tail thread and saw all the bitching about "rape". Air quotes very much deliberate, because there's nothing like actual rape in the chapter. The Harribel thing might have only been one chapter, but (a) this is only, what 2? And (b) it was a lot more overt in it's implications and a lot more creepy to me. There's also several other things sprinkled throughout that others have mentioned like Luppi, which are nearly as bad in their own way.

As I said above I don't find all fanservice creepy. Most of the stuff in Fairy Tail to me is innocuous and just kind of fades in to the background, barely even noticeable. It's stupid and kind of annoying occasionally, but it's not offensive to me at all. I don't even notice it most of the time anymore. It's just tits (or rear end) after all. I find History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi more annoying than either, not because it has more or it's creepier but mostly because the female characters consistently pose in really, really awkward ways to show off their assets - which Fairy Tail at least manages to avoid most of the time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

tsob posted:

A tentacle monster leering at a woman is rape now? That's good to know. And no, I don't find that creepy. I didn't even note the page until I came in to this and the Fairy Tail thread and saw all the bitching about "rape". Air quotes very much deliberate, because there's nothing like actual rape in the chapter. The Harribel thing might have only been one chapter, but (a) this is only, what 2? And (b) it was a lot more overt in it's implications and a lot more creepy to me. There's also several other things sprinkled throughout that others have mentioned like Luppi, which are nearly as bad in their own way.
Were you even looking at the same image I was, because she was naked and the tentacle monster had its tentacles all over her body.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Flameingblack posted:

Were you even looking at the same image I was, because she was naked and the tentacle monster had its tentacles all over her body.

I wasn't actually (I didn't even click the image on this occasion since the image linked to is always the one of the slime thing leering at Erza), but that page is even more innocuous because it's probably not even the same monster given that the text specifies she's undergoing a procedure and is in an entirely different room. She's not being raped and the tentacles are unlikely to even be directly attached to any kind of sentient being. Even if they are, it's certainly not one that's raping her. It's more likely just a spell to make her a true demon or some poo poo. Is it rape when doctors touch a woman's leg/stomach while operating on them? Because that's basically what's happening here: magic surgical operation. I can see someone complaining about the fact the mangaka felt the need to draw it (don't care personally) or that it's tentacles doing it, but it's still not rape or anything close to it. The tentacles aren't even really doing anything sexual, they're just plugged in to her thighs and stomach. There's similar scenes in films like the Matrix.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 12, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

tsob posted:

I wasn't actually (I didn't even click the image on this occasion since the image linked to is always the one of the slime thing leering at Erza), but that page is even more innocuous because it's probably not even the same monster given that the text specifies she's undergoing a procedure and is in an entirely different room. She's not being raped and the tentacles are unlikely to even be directly attached to any kind of sentient being. Even if they are, it's certainly not one that's raping her. It's more likely just a spell to make her a true demon or some poo poo. Is it rape when doctors touch a woman's leg/stomach while operating on them? Because that's basically what's happening here: magic surgical operation.
On the next page Freeza-thing says "Don't squeal" and I don't know why you think that giving someone surgery against their consent while being covered in tentacle monsters, naked in front a group of people ok.

This is a really dumb discussion though, I hope it goes away when the new chapter is out so we can go back to admiring our favorite super star :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Flameingblack posted:

On the next page Freeza-thing says "Don't squeal" and I don't know why you think that giving someone surgery against their consent while being covered in tentacle monsters, naked in front a group of people ok.

Edit: Just gonna edit this, because you're probably right in that it's a silly argument and not worth derailing the thread further over.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 12, 2014

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I'm really glad we have some cis-white men to clear up what is and isn't considered rape or creepy.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

seizure later posted:

I'm really glad we have some cis-white men to clear up what is and isn't considered rape or creepy.

Thanks for the complimentary privilege check.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So with the high possibility that we'll be getting a chapter tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a flashback to when Renji was getting his sword reforged up in the Phoenix palace.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm the sorta guy who typically gets turned off by even the slightest amount of fanservice or creepo/pandering poo poo in manga, it's a personal affront to me as a reader.

Are you aware the dude in your avatar is a violent rapist from a creepo fanservice comic? Seemed odd given your posts.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dipple posted:

Are you aware the dude in your avatar is a violent rapist from a creepo fanservice comic? Seemed odd given your posts.
Not a fan of AIKI? I figured someone would bring this up, yeah. Keep in mind it's a humor series. That's an important thing to keep in mind. I dunno, it's sort of the exception to the rule for me, I find AIKI so hilarious and Joukyuu works well as a smug douchey bastard that it's entertaining enough to get past the early fanservice-y bits. I am the sort of guy immediately turned off by gratuitous stuff and fanservice in series enough that I'll immediately dump a series or take the presence of fanservice as a sort of personal insult (because then you gotta contemplate who the audience for this is and how insulting it is that the manga-ka thinks you're one of them) but with AIKI it sort of feels like the central conceit, not something jammed in there for the sake of being there. It's seinen comedy. Joukyuu's a misogynistic scumbag in the order of Lupin the Third, that's never denied even within the universe of the series. With Fairy Tail it's just sorta...there.
Besides I think AIKI's gotten better with that sort of thing compared to the earlier chapters. I think you're definitely not giving AIKI enough credit though, it's a pretty hilarious entertaining series. I'd say it's a credit to the humor that I can tolerate it despite the creepo elements, like it's that funny, which is something I don't think I can say about "Baby's First Shonen" in the form of Fairy Tail.
But yeah, it's definitely the exception to the rule when it comes to what I can generally tolerate. And it's true that even when delving through manga while consciously trying to avoid that stuff, you still sometimes get quality entertaining series with creepo poo poo in it, like I enjoy Berserk and Kentaro Miura but there's no denying he's got some really creepy stuff in his series (especially his new little six chapter thing he's doing now).

Either way I was simply arguing the fact that Bleach has way less creepy fanservice-y stuff than Fairy Tail.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 15, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I am going to jettison y'all into the sun if this conversation continues.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh hey the new Bleach chapter is already out- Oh wait no it's not. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

Genocyber posted:

Oh hey the new Bleach chapter is already out- Oh wait no it's not. :(

Yeah,I clicked on this thread when I saw it had like 81 new posts thinking, "Hey man! New Bleach!"

Sadly disappointed. :/

• Locked thread