Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

E:doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Well, that was an interesting round. I guess the servers don't like having everything vanish.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Cogs or other developers: can you fix the VR bomb testing range please? :( Right now, this is what happens when you try to use it:
  • your avatar is nearly invisible
  • ... but! if you remove your uniform, you are made visible, albeit naked. Wearing the uniform again leaves your VR avatar naked except for the shoes
  • the VR bomb cannot be interacted with in any way. Can't move it, can't trigger it. Is there a switch somewhere? (and why all the different rooms if the bomb is immobile?)
  • the VR bomb doesn't do anything on its own, either, but with a research DWAINE terminal you can read some kind of test results in /mnt/mixer/Bomblog, so it does go off but without a visible blast? I have no idea
  • every time you log off and back on, your previous VR avatar is still where you left him. The effect is cumulative and I always end up with two or three VR clones
As it is right now, either it's unusable, or I'm a huge idiot for missing something really obvious :sigh:. Also: there are gas sensors in the mixing chambers, what are they for and how can I get readings from them? Analyzing the outlet pipes only works some of the time. I thought maybe there was a DWAINE tool like artlab's gptio, but /mnt/mixer is empty save for the Bomblog

Also, to be honest, I expected something a little fancier when I heard about a "VR bomb testing range". I'm not saying I want a VR fifties suburb with happy fifties nuclear families of test dummies (although that would kick all kinds of rear end), but some space station rooms of various kinds (regular walls, reinforced walls, asteroid rock, etc.) and test dummies wouldn't hurt to gauge the power of the bomb. Unless that would lag the poor servers even worse, that is

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

1. Your sprite isn't actually invisible, just his chest is rendered. This is a bug in regular VR too.
2. You've never been able to interact with the VR bomb. It has always been immobile.
3. If it's broken this is news to me, but last time I used it, the bomb takes awhile to go off. It used to go off in only a few seconds but now it takes around a minute.

Actually though I think it would be cool if it looked like a miniature suburb.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I know it's kind of weird, but what is the reason for only one scientist job, but three for medical?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hackbunny posted:

Cogs or other developers: can you fix the VR bomb testing range please? :( Right now, this is what happens when you try to use it:
  • your avatar is nearly invisible
  • ... but! if you remove your uniform, you are made visible, albeit naked. Wearing the uniform again leaves your VR avatar naked except for the shoes
  • the VR bomb cannot be interacted with in any way. Can't move it, can't trigger it. Is there a switch somewhere? (and why all the different rooms if the bomb is immobile?)
  • the VR bomb doesn't do anything on its own, either, but with a research DWAINE terminal you can read some kind of test results in /mnt/mixer/Bomblog, so it does go off but without a visible blast? I have no idea
  • every time you log off and back on, your previous VR avatar is still where you left him. The effect is cumulative and I always end up with two or three VR clones
As it is right now, either it's unusable, or I'm a huge idiot for missing something really obvious :sigh:. Also: there are gas sensors in the mixing chambers, what are they for and how can I get readings from them? Analyzing the outlet pipes only works some of the time. I thought maybe there was a DWAINE tool like artlab's gptio, but /mnt/mixer is empty save for the Bomblog

Also, to be honest, I expected something a little fancier when I heard about a "VR bomb testing range". I'm not saying I want a VR fifties suburb with happy fifties nuclear families of test dummies (although that would kick all kinds of rear end), but some space station rooms of various kinds (regular walls, reinforced walls, asteroid rock, etc.) and test dummies wouldn't hurt to gauge the power of the bomb. Unless that would lag the poor servers even worse, that is

I think it's your bomb rather than the testing range, because I used the VR range myself just two days ago to do several tests in a row and it worked fine every time. The invisible avatar thing is a loading bug that happens at the start of all rounds when your character spawns, you just don't always see it happen.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

amuayse posted:

I know it's kind of weird, but what is the reason for only one scientist job, but three for medical?

Gentle back-and-forth in design according to what's seen as good or bad or pointless. There used to be department-specific assistants, atmospheric engineers, chemists, elite security corps standing in for a Chief and so on.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

hackbunny posted:

Strangely enough, the sensors are in the /mnt/artlab gptio list as gas_top and gas_bottom (at least I think that's what they are called). You will know if you see them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

amuayse posted:

Because having chemists as their own job lead to a horrible cult of secrecy where absolutely nothing got done, and no one wants to be stuck doing nothing but artifacts all round.

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011
Ugh, why do people get angry when you deal with them for being such a blatantly obvious rude dude?
Having fun times as security when I notice some doctordork running around with all access and a phaser, decide to follow him to see what hes up to, he proceeds to act like literally the most shifty individual out of any traitor I have ever seen on SS13. Time passes by and the janitor starts yelling over the radio that he was sleepypenned by said doctordork, I confirm the janitor is infact dead from getting penned and I see senior doctorjerk run by, I proceed to start the wrasslin and manage to get him down with the captains help. I end up taking him back to security and emptying his pockets to find a beaker full of -nasty- poison and an empty sleepypen. I proceed to apply said pen to him which causes him to get extremely irate and he immediately suicides. Fast forward to the end of the round and whadda you know, he was in fact a traitor. Next round I get blasted with this :

:(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Ugh, why do people get angry when you deal with them for being such a blatantly obvious rude dude?
Having fun times as security when I notice some doctordork running around with all access and a phaser, decide to follow him to see what hes up to, he proceeds to act like literally the most shifty individual out of any traitor I have ever seen on SS13. Time passes by and the janitor starts yelling over the radio that he was sleepypenned by said doctordork, I confirm the janitor is infact dead from getting penned and I see senior doctorjerk run by, I proceed to start the wrasslin and manage to get him down with the captains help. I end up taking him back to security and emptying his pockets to find a beaker full of -nasty- poison and an empty sleepypen. I proceed to apply said pen to him which causes him to get extremely irate and he immediately suicides. Fast forward to the end of the round and whadda you know, he was in fact a traitor. Next round I get blasted with this :

It should also be noted that you hit him with his own pen. Seriously, that's what you call a taste of your own medicine right there. Hell, that's a really good thing to sentence a traitor to in my opinion - if you can survive the contents of your own pen, you're free to go.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Because people are bitter, pissy manchildren about losing games.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I broke into the jail and smuggled in drugs and weapons as a traitor. The officer who came in to break up a fight got clonked over the head and his stuff taken and put in a maintenance tunnel. With the fake name "Heisenbee" I got 250U of meth, ten blunts, 250 in cash, something with high neurotoxicity and a flashbang into the genpop. That was the most fun I've ever had in SS13. I died in a shootout and got blown out an airlock.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Someone ban THAT guy.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 15, 2014

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Haha he was literally the only person I stabbed and he was right at medbay, easily cloned, and the sleepypen was the only piece of traitor equipment I had. I had got the HoS earlier who wasn't even at the computer and hid him down in pathology and took his egun and card. You went supercop on me and the other two traitors with a wrassling belt, gibbing everyone. It should also be noted the captain was a traitor that round and you were hanging around him killing people without a trial or anything, not mindslaved. But yeah everything is clearly one-sided. Love the insults too, by the way.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Justin Credible posted:

Haha he was literally the only person I stabbed and he was right at medbay, easily cloned, and the sleepypen was the only piece of traitor equipment I had. I had got the HoS earlier who wasn't even at the computer and hid him down in pathology and took his egun and card. You went supercop on me and the other two traitors with a wrassling belt, gibbing everyone. It should also be noted the captain was a traitor that round and you were hanging around him killing people without a trial or anything, not mindslaved. But yeah everything is clearly one-sided. Love the insults too, by the way.

Who cares, you were a traitor. While it's encouraged to brig traitors, you don't have to. Yes, it's frustrating, but you should really stop whining like a baby about getting caught.

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

No idea what you're babbling about me and the captain working together (which turned out not to matter anyways, as his only traitor objective was beneficial to security), as I was mostly walking around the station with thermals the entire round, infact the only person that the captain and I handled together was you when you ran into that maintenance tunnel. Also I -did- clone him, after I dealt with you ; did you really expect me to just let you run off after the janitor yelled that you sillypenned him and I find him dead like less than six seconds later?

quote:

You went supercop on me and the other two traitors with a wrassling belt
Pfft, the only traitor I went supernerd on was you, the first traitor I bodied was the original dork with the belt, whom couldn't be left alive for obvious reasons (powers staying after losing belt etc.), the second traitorpal I flexed on was some dork assistant who ran up to me, pulled out a revolver and tried to point blank me but ended up pistol-whipping me and getting dropkicked. That leaves you, the sleepy-penning fiend, the buttnasty chemicalblaster, and all in all rude dude.

quote:

Love the insults too, by the way
If by insults you mean me calling you a loser after you immediately committing suicide after being given the ol sleepypennero, then yes, I hope that insult really burned.

i still lov u tho

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

We should seriously make a section on the unban forums called "player complaints" where any threads that are made can only be seen and posted in by the OP.

e: that or have the original post replaced with a stock photo of a crying baby while only the OP can see what they wrote.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 15, 2014

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Swiddlefiddler posted:

No idea what you're babbling about me and the captain working together (which turned out not to matter anyways, as his only traitor objective was beneficial to security), as I was mostly walking around the station with thermals the entire round, infact the only person that the captain and I handled together was you when you ran into that maintenance tunnel. Also I -did- clone him, after I dealt with you ; did you really expect me to just let you run off after the janitor yelled that you sillypenned him and I find him dead like less than six seconds later?

Pfft, the only traitor I went supernerd on was you, the first traitor I bodied was the original dork with the belt, whom couldn't be left alive for obvious reasons (powers staying after losing belt etc.), the second traitorpal I flexed on was some dork assistant who ran up to me, pulled out a revolver and tried to point blank me but ended up pistol-whipping me and getting dropkicked. That leaves you, the sleepy-penning fiend, the buttnasty chemicalblaster, and all in all rude dude.

If by insults you mean me calling you a loser after you immediately committing suicide after being given the ol sleepypennero, then yes, I hope that insult really burned.

i still lov u tho

Hey no worries man I understand it from your perspective, ain't gonna grudge you over it or anything. I'll just be more sneaky next time and make sure you don't have a chance to robust me. :)

e- it was init wasn't going to live through that anyway.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

We should seriously make a section on the unban forums called "player complaints" where any threads that are made can only be seen and posted in by the OP.

e: that or have the original post replaced with a stock photo of a crying baby while only the OP can see what they wrote.

Aptly titled "Missed Connections".

Love to see it formatted like little newspaper thingies, then have that synced to like noticeboards ingame.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I don't think you understand what supercop means in this game. If you want supercop imagine the station having a bunch of robust fucks that all have a hard on for being antag busters. Their standard equipment is some sound gun that home in on you and they all have thermals just to make sure no crime gets unnoticed. On a bad day youll get 3 of these fuckers plus an admin that has a shotgun to boot stalking all around the station. Now imagine you're a captain changeling and one of the admins has decided to check whose an antag and is now following you through maintenance with thermals so he can enact his super cop fantasy. As soon as you do ANYTHING he will call his super cop buddies to murder you.

Edit: Oh right and you're a changeling with no acid spit or horror form. Your only tools are space immunity, a sting that takes 10 seconds to actually knock anyone out and LSD sting.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 15, 2014

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

Hey no worries man I understand it from your perspective, ain't gonna grudge you over it or anything. I'll just be more sneaky next time and make sure you don't have a chance to robust me. :)

e- it was init wasn't going to live through that anyway.

Yeah no hard feelings pal, that was just the first time someone blew up over ooc over something I did ingame haha

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Odobenidae posted:

I'd rather poo poo a knife. Can you even IMAGINE the dumb drama it would create.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Iretep posted:

I don't think you understand what supercop means in this game. If you want supercop imagine the station having a bunch of robust fucks that all have a hard on for being antag busters. Their standard equipment is some sound gun that home in on you and they all have thermals just to make sure no crime gets unnoticed. On a bad day youll get 3 of these fuckers plus an admin that has a shotgun to boot stalking all around the station. Now imagine you're a captain changeling and one of the admins has decided to check whose an antag and is now following you through maintenance with thermals so he can enact his super cop fantasy. As soon as you do ANYTHING he will call his super cop buddies to murder you.

Edit: Oh right and you're a changeling with no acid spit or horror form. Your only tools are space immunity, a sting that takes 10 seconds to actually knock anyone out and LSD sting.

Good lord.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened on our servers since the Mport days though??

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened on our servers since the Mport days though??

Unless multiple nanotransen officers have been allowed since then and the admins brought back the super cop admin im thinking about then no.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Given the occasional posts in this thread about it I'd imagine it's probably standard procedure on some of the other servers out there.

Along with rape-play. :stonk:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A better example of the modern common-or-garden supercop: the Captain the other day who ordered a crate of lasers and did nothing all round but stalk maintenance hunting changelings and boasted in OOC that he personally killed them all because he was cool + the best Captain while nobody responded because everyone else was asleep due to him being the only person who had fun all round

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm too young to remember the T.U.R.D.S.

What did that stand for, anyway?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pretty sure it never stood for anything :ssh:

It was during the darkest days of SS13 when being a traitor was basically a sentence to be griefed to death by the admins.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I remember both the birth and death of the T.U.R.D.S. That was indeed a very dark time. There was one time I walking around and a T.U.R.D. saw me with the magnetic boots, back when they were a traitor objective, and he filled me full of lead, took me the the prison station and permabrigged my corpse, all without saying a word.

Still bitter about HoS still being whitelist only though! :corsair:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
The adminbus had a more frequent route back then, some of those hijinks were terribly insane, as were some of the admins. Can't believe I played both hellmoo and ss13 almost at the same time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I personally miss the insane hijinks, realising a second too late that I was about to be collided with the adminbus.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
I had a person impersonating lovely Bill try to flip over my QM counter today. I was amused at his failure. Mainly because I was doing my standard 'barricade QM because admins were playing with ice spiders' and proceeded to let noone in in case of spider attack.

In short, I enjoyed that my lack of robustness kept me alive because PARANOIA ALWAYS WINS.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Rynoto posted:

Pretty sure it never stood for anything :ssh:

It was during the darkest days of SS13 when being a traitor was basically a sentence to be griefed to death by the admins.

It was pretty much just Mport doing that, to my knowledge. He was doing crap like that before TURDS ever came along, they just ended up kind of setting it in stone. He would actually put caches of guns on the map only he knew about, then go retrieve them, check the traitor list and then go mow them down so he could be the hero for the round. Really didn't help he named himself Iji, who I believe is the protagonist of some run and gun game.

TURDS is pretty much the worst thing that ever happened to goonstation that was visible to the playerbase. I still think the Meadow was the outright worst but I doubt many players actually ended up seeing it.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
What was the Meadow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I Said No posted:

Really didn't help he named himself Iji, who I believe is the protagonist of some run and gun game.

I was wondering why there were dessicated clown remains of a guy named Iji on the brig satellite in the mining field. :ms:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I sometimes wish that the brig satellite could/would be used as an actual brig. Make a teleporter in the station brig that only goes between said brig and said satellite. Said teleporter obviously doesn't work going from the satellite to the station by default. Send confirmed traitors, 'lings, and vamps there. If they can make it back to the station, they are free.

It's obviously more isolated, which makes it safer for the station in the case of very destructive prisoners, but it's also easier to have a rogue miner come by and let the prisoners run free, since it's harder to police properly.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Could there be a roulette game that dispenses random items instead of money? And could some of those items be traitor-only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

Bahumat posted:

I had a person impersonating lovely Bill try to flip over my QM counter today. I was amused at his failure. Mainly because I was doing my standard 'barricade QM because admins were playing with ice spiders' and proceeded to let noone in in case of spider attack.

In short, I enjoyed that my lack of robustness kept me alive because PARANOIA ALWAYS WINS.

Was that the round that everyone was lovely Bill and there was an assistant running around with a chainsaw arm?

• Locked thread