Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, they were re-doing some of the approaches/departures where I was working once. The controllers there got to name pretty much every fix.

This can lead to things like an RNAV arrival rollout being delayed for months to rename fixes like SKANK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fknlo posted:

This can lead to things like an RNAV arrival rollout being delayed for months to rename fixes like SKANK.

Reminds me of flying in Atlanta via DUMBB BUNNI.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

e.pie posted:

You got to name waypoints? :stare: I am insanely jealous.

I tried to name a waypoint once but instead the good old boys club named it something else. I am still trying to gt a fix called PRANG on the edge of our boundary with ZDC

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Zochness posted:

We've got GOONI, which is the IAF for a HI-VOR/DME or TACAN approach here, I issue that all the time to the military. Not nearly as cool as GOONS, but close. Speaking of the military, the Air Force trainees have been out in force (lol) the past week. Thursday was the busiest I have ever seen it here in the 2 years I've been at AMA. I had four BE40s in holding waiting on my final controller to have room to put them in on approaches. Think we had about 5 T38s and 8 Beechjets in our airspace during an hour/hour and a half stretch, plus all our normal itinerants. Never seen all of the positions in our TRACON open at the same time, it was crazy. Hard to work that kind of traffic after we have been dead the past 2 months.

HA! Sorry about that.

The problem was that we've had a bunch of maintenance issues, plus a string of crappy weather here in Oklahoma. Because of that, scheduling had to do what we call "super out n backs" where we do three events instead of two - and the third event was a Transition student needing a bunch of patterns to learn how to land the plane.

LBB/AMA was the only place in a 300 mile range from Vance AFB that supported VFR weather, VFR patterns, and the right kind of instrument work required to knock out the student's beans. Secondly, T-38s are scared of weather and will avoid it at nearly all costs. So, we launched the fleet to AMA/LBB.

If it makes you feel any better, I kicked my Trans student off the flight and went north into intentionally lovely weather for "training." However, I'm definitely going to show some people at work this post...

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Minclark posted:

I tried to name a waypoint once but instead the good old boys club named it something else. I am still trying to gt a fix called PRANG on the edge of our boundary with ZDC

This is delightfully wonderful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some EAS markets are in danger of losing EAS status because flights are being cancelled. Because they can't find pilots to fly there. Because of the ATP Law and the fact that, when pilots hit the magic number and have the choice of a CRJ, ERJ, or Beech 1900... :downsbravo:

quote:

The airlines serving small markets in Nebraska and Iowa have had a hard time finding enough pilots since new rules took effect last year, so numerous flights have been canceled.

The canceled flights create hassles for passengers, and could make it harder for small airports to qualify for federal subsidies. Airports must serve at least 10,000 passengers a year to qualify for the subsidies.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/01/13/new-rules-make-it-hard-to-find-small-market-pilots/4450437/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Some EAS markets are in danger of losing EAS status because flights are being cancelled. Because they can't find pilots to fly there. Because of the ATP Law and the fact that, when pilots hit the magic number and have the choice of a CRJ, ERJ, or Beech 1900... :downsbravo:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/01/13/new-rules-make-it-hard-to-find-small-market-pilots/4450437/

[video type="youtube"]tKdcjJoXeEY[video]

Nobody saw this coming.

NOBODY.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'd be happy to fly a Beech 1900 for what I currently fly my much smaller 206 for: $40k a year. Oh yeah, they also need to treat me like a human and not like little pilot slaves. Available whenever they need. It's their fault they bid the contracts so low, not mine.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Great lakes can't find FO's? Gee I wonder why....

$16/hour FO pay X 75 hours a month X 10* months = $12000 your first year on the job.

The poverty line for 2013 in MSP is $11,945. So great lakes is literally paying their pilots poverty wages. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that they can't attract pilots?

*No pay during 2 months of initial training.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
How do they legally get away with not paying you for 2 months during training? I would think minimum wage laws would apply here regardless of whatever poo poo they have you sign.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

How do they legally get away with not paying you for 2 months during training? I would think minimum wage laws would apply here regardless of whatever poo poo they have you sign.

Technically you're still a perspective employee. It's like a 2 month long job interview. Most airlines don't do it like this, but then most airlines don't have a problem attracting pilots either.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

They probably get around that by not technically hiring employees until they start IOE or something.

I'm currently going through ground school at another regional, and not only are we paid during training, but there's no training contract and the first year FO pay is about what a 4th year captain at Great Lakes would make (with identical hiring minimums), so I'm baffled as to why anyone is still working at GLA.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I would imagine its the people with DUI's, without passports due to stuff like missed child support, violations, etc.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
There was a guy at ATP who had like 8 checkride busts, I wonder if that's where he's at now.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

I'm currently going through ground school at another regional

Care to say which one? I'm on the verge of bailing from my current regional and making a lateral move.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Care to say which one? I'm on the verge of bailing from my current regional and making a lateral move.

QX.

They're hiring like crazy right now, and there are people in my class from Piedmont, ExJet and Frontier, so they have no problems hiring people from other regionals. Since QX is owned by Alaska and has abilities most regionals don't (CAT III, RNP .1, etc...), there's not the constant threat of "we'll find someone to do it cheaper" that's present at many other regionals, and everyone I've met so far seems to really enjoy working here.

The upgrade time is pretty long (about 12 years right now), but QX is losing pilots to the majors and age 65 rule at a pretty good clip, so that's expected to come down a bit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

QX.

They're hiring like crazy right now, and there are people in my class from Piedmont, ExJet and Frontier, so they have no problems hiring people from other regionals. Since QX is owned by Alaska and has abilities most regionals don't (CAT III, RNP .1, etc...), there's not the constant threat of "we'll find someone to do it cheaper" that's present at many other regionals, and everyone I've met so far seems to really enjoy working here.

The upgrade time is pretty long (about 12 years right now), but QX is losing pilots to the majors and age 65 rule at a pretty good clip, so that's expected to come down a bit.

Holy poo poo. And I thought PSA's upgrade time (5 years) sounded bad. What's an average upgrade time at this point?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Depends on where you look. The bottom of the barrel places (Great Lakes, etc...) are around a year, but other places range from 4-12 years. I don't mind the upgrade time since the pay is decent and the benefits are excellent, and since most of the majors have dropped TIPC requirements, it's possible to move up without ever getting left seat at a regional.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Good news for all you following a baby pilot's progress. I figured out why all my approaches have been super loving poo poo. Turns out, I was a dumbass and taking the throttle to idle... When I was about 100m from the threshold, not at my flare.

Now that I got that poo poo fixed, I should be great at landing now!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Taking the throttle out that far in advance is pretty common for me. As long as you have enough altitude to take the throttle out and pitch the nose down to keep the airspeed the same I see no problems for that. Pitch for airspeed power for altitude :pilot:

When I want my flare to be buttery soft and I'm in a new airport environment, I keep a touch of power in and let me landing distance suffer.

Anyway - Keep it up. Every pilot has a different technique. I'm glad you've found something that will help you stay consistent.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's power for airspeed pitch for altitude until the throttle goes idle FYI.
(Longest running debate in aviation?)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Slaughter posted:

It's power for airspeed pitch for altitude until the throttle goes idle FYI.
(Longest running debate in aviation?)

Try flying something faster than a 172 and get back to me.
edit: I'm talking final approaches etc here.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 14, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ExpressJet TA voted down by 83%

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Nice to see to the pilots at ExpressJet trying to take a stand against the latest attempts to drive wages down even more in this industry. I was taking with a guy who worked at ExJet, and there's rumors that the pilots may launch a recall against the union leadership for cheerleading the contract so hard.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 14, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

"If we don't pass this TA united won't give us any of the new RJ's and as they transition away fro 50 seaters we'll stagnate and shrink! If we don't pass it we're all DOOOMED!"

This TA will pass. Over the next few weeks well hear a lot of people talking about voting no, yet it'll still pass with 60-70% voting yes.
Sorry to quote this Kodiak :)

For some reason I have seen some hate from PSA and Endeavor over XJT voting this down. In fact, I learned about the TA getting voted down by a friend at PSA who called me to make fun and to tell me PSA is hiring. In the crew shuttle some Endeavor guys seemed happy that it was shut down, but on a friend's facebook one was expressing how dumb the XJT pilot group is for not sitting down and taking concessions.

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 15, 2014

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Good for them, gently caress those goddamn concessionary contracts.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Captain Apollo posted:

Try flying something faster than a 172 and get back to me.
edit: I'm talking final approaches etc here.

I would say the same to you. Try power for altitude and pitch for airspeed while on final in a Jet. That's the reason we teach pitch for altitude and power for airspeed. It also goes back to instrument training - when you're 1 dot low on an ILS, are you going to increase power? No, you're going to change your pitch.

Are we really going to hash out this forever-argued thing in the thread? Really. For GA people your way is fine, for anybody with future commercial ambitions, they should be following my way, because primacy. Also, the two big disclaimers are "this assumes power is a variable" and "there is a relationship between pitch, power, altitude, and airspeed and you're basically doing the same thing regardless of how you think about it". So.. don't do it backwards. :)

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

SCOTLAND posted:

Good for them, gently caress those goddamn concessionary contracts.

Yeah, no kidding. Somebody from PSA giving XJT folks poo poo is a hoot. They bent over for a brutally concessionary contract WITHOUT any guarantee of getting anything in return... and it's not the first time the PSA pilots have done this - see: jets for jobs. gently caress me, that cutesy slogan still fills me with rage more than 10 years after the fact.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

From the amount of times I've personally seen this happen, and the few times I've been flying around with pilot buddies, this doesn't seem all that unlikely to me, but others seem shocked when it does happen. Should I be shocked?

When I was a commercial student on a night solo XC I was doing a vfr gps approach that had me lined up and when I was 3 miles or so out I was wrong in guessing which cluster of lights was the runway. That was a big eye opener for me.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

I would say the same to you. Try power for altitude and pitch for airspeed while on final in a Jet. That's the reason we teach pitch for altitude and power for airspeed. It also goes back to instrument training - when you're 1 dot low on an ILS, are you going to increase power? No, you're going to change your pitch.

FYI the USAF teaches power for altitude, pitch/trim for speed.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So I got ramp checked today. Figures it'd be on the last day of rotation. Our stuff is all in order and he was nice though so it was no big deal...

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Slaughter posted:

And practice approaches.
I've asked for a practice approach that goes through bravo just to quickly get through bravo before...
Most controllers are decent with giving bravo clearance to VFR airplanes, though, if you can be flexible on altitude or routing a little. But some areas it's just not gonna happen period. Flying around washington DC was the most difficult I've had to work with, and they have the most ridiculously designed bravo. Try to get from KHEF to KGAI without going through bravo.

Easy. Direct TAPPA.V16.PXT.V93.GRACO direct. Duh.
Say hi to me.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

Sorry to quote this Kodiak :)

Yeah, I got that one waaaay wrong. Pretty happy about it too.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Good news for all you following a baby pilot's progress. I figured out why all my approaches have been super loving poo poo. Turns out, I was a dumbass and taking the throttle to idle... When I was about 100m from the threshold, not at my flare.

Now that I got that poo poo fixed, I should be great at landing now!

YAY progress! It sounds like your approaches are actually OK but you were just having issues with the timing of the power reduction and flare.

Captain Apollo posted:

Taking the throttle out that far in advance is pretty common for me. As long as you have enough altitude to take the throttle out and pitch the nose down to keep the airspeed the same I see no problems for that. Pitch for airspeed power for altitude :pilot:

/rant
So you consistently fly excessively high approaches? Chopping power and diving for the runway is a GREAT way to bend airplanes. If you flare even a little bit too late your going to hit hard and bounce because of your high descent rate, you're going to carry excessive airspeed which opens the door to proposing, and it removes power as one of your "tools" for use during the flare.

It's one thing if you're practicing engine out procedures but transitioning from a "normal" approach to a "chop and dive" approach is just bad technique.

Also, you Really don't want to try if you ever transition to a jet
/rant

xaarman posted:

FYI the USAF teaches power for altitude, pitch/trim for speed.

I think the best technique is to understand that power/speed/pitch/aoa/altitude are all related and that adjusting one will affect the others and you should coordinate their use to achieve a stabilized approach.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No I don't consistently fly high approaches.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Decided to celebrate two of my best students passing their Instrument checkrides by taking a long sight seeing trip across northern Arizona. Route of flight was PRC-T03-PGA-U96-0V7-FLG-PRC. Took a bunch of pictures as well as some GoPro footage, though I haven't taken a look at the video yet. It felt great to get away from the Prescott area for a while!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

No I don't consistently fly high approaches.

Then why are you intentionally pulling the power early? If you're going for a specific point why not just set up the approach so that you can land on target using a normal flare? or if you're not spot landing and going with a "somewhere in the first third" type of technique why not just use a normal flare and touch down wherever you happen to?

CraZy GrinGo posted:

Awesome helicopter photos

Stop making me homesick you bastard! Almost makes me want to take out another loan and get my rotocraft rating....almost.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
How are you flying so low over the grand canyon? or is that not the grand canyon. :o:

or or, are the rules different for helicopters.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

KodiakRS posted:

Stop making me homesick you bastard! Almost makes me want to take out another loan and get my rotocraft rating....almost.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with being in debt forever! At least that's what I keep telling myself...

e.pie posted:

How are you flying so low over the grand canyon? or is that not the grand canyon.

or or, are the rules different for helicopters.

We flew just east of the Grand Canyon SFRA on our way up to Page. There's a spot where the Little Colorado River sticks out near Tuba city that we went over.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

KodiakRS posted:

Then why are you intentionally pulling the power early? If you're going for a specific point why not just set up the approach so that you can land on target using a normal flare? or if you're not spot landing and going with a "somewhere in the first third" type of technique why not just use a normal flare and touch down wherever you happen to land.

Where exactly is an appropriate place to pull power exactly?

I fly a very efficient airplane onto a 2900 foot runway. I gingerly reduce power before crossing the threshold.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pie posted:

or, are the rules different for helicopters.

Bingo. And helicopter tour companies have special authorization to be in certain areas around the Grand Canyon.

• Locked thread