Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

A and K

Names don't really matter in dating sims, so you might as well keep the name you thought up; and I want to see the next game, not more of this game after Yuina.

Edit:

vibratingsheep posted:

The second part of the poll isn't "who do you want me to beat the game with also"; it's "Who do you want to see on the side during the Yuina run"

I'm still going with K.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

BlazeEmblem posted:

A and K

Names don't really matter in dating sims, so you might as well keep the name you thought up; and I want to see the next game, not more of this game after Yuina.

The second part of the poll isn't "who do you want me to beat the game with also"; it's "Who do you want to see on the side during the Yuina run"

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
B and D, although I'd like to see the Fudou Gunpei name kept for the Yuina run.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
B, D, E, and J please.

Are you going to be touching on the Girl's Side series, or just sticking with the main series? Either way, this is really enjoyable to read.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

vibratingsheep posted:

So, #1: Should I keep the same name every run? (this will also apply when I move to Tokimeki Memorial 2, so keep that in mind)

You just answered that.

vibratingsheep posted:

All Realities, All Dimensions are Open to Goon

As for girls, E and J.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Let's go with A first because in the end almost all MCs in these games are the same person, then E and J.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

A for the name, E and whoever you think is also interesting for the other girls.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
A, and I don't think we ever actually saw Yukari or Saki during the Shiori run, so just meeting them is fine by me. (And since we need our guts up anyway...)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

CandyCrazy posted:

B). I want a list of increasingly contrived names that all happen to shorten to Goon by the time this LP is over.

I want to see Yuuko, Saki, and Yukari, because I'm pretty sure we never even saw their faces in the first run.

EDIT: Revised list of characters because of that first Christmas party.

I'll vote for this.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

CandyCrazy posted:

B). I want a list of increasingly contrived names that all happen to shorten to Goon by the time this LP is over.

That sounds good, and take your pick of whichever girls are interesting to talk about alongside Yuina.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
B, and no preference.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
B and whoever you want to pick

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Mix it up and Nozomi.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

EagerSleeper posted:

B & whichever of the girls you feel like would be interesting to talk about.

Sleeper knows what's what.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

EagerSleeper posted:

B & whichever of the girls you feel like would be interesting to talk about.

This, especially if there are any other neat scenes or if you have interesting notes for anyone. If you have no preference, then E) Ayako.

vibratingsheep, I don't personally play games like this but you've made this very interesting to read about. You're very good at presentation, and I like how you're able to combine explaining game mechanics with cultural notes. I am genuinely looking forward to another run and seeing the future games. I couldn't find anything from you in the LP Archive, have you done any other projects?

Pesnapole
Dec 8, 2013
B

If Goon is so Utterly Perfect, he should be able to flirt with all of them.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

CandyCrazy posted:

I want to see Yuuko, Saki, and Yukari, because I'm pretty sure we never even saw their faces in the first run.

EDIT: Revised list of characters because of that first Christmas party.

Sounds good to me. Voting for these.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Pesnapole posted:

B

Changing my vote to this.

Your goal should be to at least meet every single girl in this run.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Pesnapole posted:

B

Just so you know more girls means more bombs which means more micromanagement and could extend the length of the run.

Also I'd like to change my vote from B, Ayako (E), and Mira (G) to B, Ayako (E), and Nozomi (J). Nozomi seems to be gathering steam so I think I should change horses midstream in the war against the bats to back a winning cause.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Just so you know more girls means more bombs which means more micromanagement and could extend the length of the run.

I think that's the point. :)

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013
A maximum Goon

E and whoever else you think is interesting

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

CatsPajamas posted:

This, especially if there are any other neat scenes or if you have interesting notes for anyone. If you have no preference, then E) Ayako.

vibratingsheep, I don't personally play games like this but you've made this very interesting to read about. You're very good at presentation, and I like how you're able to combine explaining game mechanics with cultural notes. I am genuinely looking forward to another run and seeing the future games. I couldn't find anything from you in the LP Archive, have you done any other projects?

Thank you. This is my first LP.

I have a personal preference for Saki, but that's 'cuz I like baseball more than 'cuz I like Saki.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

B. Make this Goon's Bizarre Adventure, dammit.

Also K

nthing B for this. The more names you can think up that can have the nickname Goon, the better this megathread will be.

I and K. Because of this lady here I have a weakness for sporty-types in these games. Nozomi was eccentric enough when we met here, even though she got Bite the Dusted, and I can only imagine a Baseball lady will be even more insane.

Ayako is good too, I like Engrish, but I'll reserve my votes for the sportsers.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
B unless you run into a writer's block, at which point C'd be better.

Also, E'd be nice if we can progress far enough to learn why Ayako was skipping swimming lessons. Otherwise, D and J.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Yeah I gotta go with B, I like the idea of a long line of Goons.

As for the girls I'd just say whatever you feel like.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimeki Memorial: Yuina run

Table of Contents
Yuina, Chapter 1: A Goon of a Different Color
Yuina, Chapter 2: Enter the Archnemesis
Yuina, Chapter 3: One Crazy Summer
Yuina, Chapter 4: It's Only Cheating If You're Caught
Yuina, Chapter 5: Wizardry
Yuina, Chapter 6: I'm So Into You, But I'm Way Too Smart For You

Chapter 1: A Goon of a Different Color

Hello! It has been a while. I would like to introduce to you a new friend.

His name is Fudou Gundayu, which is a name I stole from a 20th century physicist named Aida Gundayu. Gundayu wrote such fascinating-sounding books as "The Tale of the Universe: From Fire to Atomic Energy" and "The Simple Universe: From Atoms to Man-Made Satellites". I figure it'd be a fitting tribute to our :science: run... and totally not just a coincidence stemming from my Googling of real names that include "goon".

This new Goon's goal in life is to explore other aspects of high school life, and as such, he will be joining the computer club! This will not only catch Yuina's attention early, but also neatly avoid most people who aren't Yuina or Saki. For reference, these are the stats that Yuina demands before she finds this new Goon to be worthy:

Stamina: N/A | Lit: N/A | Science: 120+
Art: N/A | Sports: N/A | General Knowledge: 100+
Looks: 60+ | Guts: N/A | Stress: N/A

How easy is this compared to Shiori? Well, it took over two full years to build stats to Shiori's standards, and it attracted a ton of unwanted attention. Meanwhile, you can fulfill Yuina's stat requirements within 9 months of the beginning of the game, with no particular difficulty.

First order of business: Join the computer club.

Easy! The computer club builds Science, Guts, and General Knowledge (in that order), while eating way at Looks, Sports, and generating tons of Stress. It's just like being a real engineer! But weirdly, since the computer club is so good at building Guts (and because I spent some Sundays exercising), the first girl we meet is actually Saki. I swear that this was not planned!

I was planning to meet her after Yuina, she just beat my schedule by a week.

5/8: Meet Saki

Goon: Whew, it's finally recess...
Saki: Fudou-kun.

Goon: Y, yes, that's me. And you are...?
Saki: Oh! I'm the manager of the baseball club, Nijino Saki...
Goon: So, why're you talking to me...?
Saki: You have guts. Together, we can make it to Koushien!

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a high school baseball story. Sue me!

Goon: Sorry, but I'm not very interested in baseball.
Saki: Is that so... if you joined us, our team would be so much stronger...
Goon: Sorry. But I think you're really overestimating me.
Saki: Not at all! But... I can't force you.
Goon: Maybe if I feel like it, I'll go check it out?
Saki: Okay! I'll be waiting for you. See you then!

Dammit, Alternate Universe Goon... when a girl asks you to play high school baseball, manga says YOU SAY YES!

Yoshio: Whoa! Wasn't that Nijino Saki?
Goon: Seems like it.
Yoshio: What did the idol of the sports clubs want to talk to you about?
Goon: She was trying to invite me to join the club.
Yoshio: Hmmm? Whoops, class is about to start.

As a note, "sports club" is a blanket term for all high school sports, and it is the opposite of "literary club" which covers pretty much anything else.

5/14:

Nijino Saki
Birthday: January 13th
Sign: Capricorn
Blood Type: A
Measurements: 81-59-82 (32-23-32)
Club: Baseball
Notes: The idol of the sports clubs. Her hobby is cooking.
She's the kind of person who likes watching sports more than playing them.

Some day, I will go back and Goon will be a baseball star so I can live my sports dreams through him. However, today is not that day, because the point of this run is to...

5/16: Meet Yuina

Goon: Hmm... what does ICE mean?

Yuina: It stands for "In-circuit Emulator." It's a device that lets you test your development targets in conditions very close to the real environment, in real time.

I cannot begin to tell you how hard this line was for me to translate. Goddammit, I should've just let her kidnap Goon for knowing too much about science.

Goon: Oh. Thanks, um....
Yuina: Himoo Yuina. You should at least learn the names of your fellow club members when you join.
Goon: S, sorry, Himoo-san...
Yuina: That is the kind of thing that keeps you from learning these rudimentary concepts.
Goon: (This counts as rudimentary?)
Yuina: You need to focus more on your studies. Now, I must excuse myself.
Goon: Sigh... what a stern woman.

If you want to read Yuina's profile, you can find it in Chapter 3. It's exactly the same. For now, we skip ahead to...

6/3:

By spending a lot of early-game time exercising, Goon has earned second place in the Scavenger Hunt Race! Unlike the last playthrough, the strong finish plus actually knowing three girls means that there's a folk dance after the sports festival in year one!

Goon: Okay, time for the folk dance. Let's do this right!

Yuina: You really like this kind of thing?

Goon: Alright, next is Nijino-san.

Saki: Oh! Lead on!

Goon: Alright, next is Shiori.

Shiori: Lead on.

Goon: The folk dance wasn't that bad.

7/7:

And now, we fast-forward to Yuina's birthday on 7/7... which is exactly the same event that it was in Chapter 3 of the Shiori playthrough. No whip this time - just the book on the theory of 6th generation computing.

7/15:

Thankfully, our focus on Science and only Science mean that it's easy to lie low and not draw Megumi's attention. However, it is recommended for Yuina playthroughs to be able to at least match her scores, so we'll need to tack a little over a hundred points onto Goon's test scores before it's all said and done.

8/14: Computer Club Summer Camp

I am including this screenshot because it's cute.

8/15:

Yuina: Have you compiled your program yet?
Goon: No, I can't think of a good algorithm.
Yuina: You should focus more on learning your math and physics.
Goon: Y, you think so?
Yuina: If you have no pride, why not try referencing another person's program?
Goon: Analyse another program... could you let me study yours, Himoo-san?
Yuina: If you can parse it, I do not mind. If you can parse it.
Goon: "If I can parse it"...?
Yuina: Well, try and do your best.

Welp.

I am including this screenshot because it's funny.

So as of 8/20/1995, Goon's stats are:

Stamina 137 | Lit 45 | Science 104
Art 62 | Sports 98 | General Knowledge 60
Looks 74 | Guts 38 | Stress 1

Basically, he's about 5-6 weeks away from fulfilling all of the stat conditions we need. See how easy this is compared to Shiori?! It's ridiculous!

Next time: Attack of the Killer Koala

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 3, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Welcome back!

This actually looks like a wholly different game, somehow, when not trying to pursue the platinum prize.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
I just want you to know this playthrough inspired me to try Girl's Side: First Love which in turn led me to showing my brother's girlfriend who then apparently went on to play it all day Monday.

Three words: gently caress making chocolate.

Are you planning to play those games too, eventually? No pressure, of course! I'll eat up whichever you play, I'm sure.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Green Jacket posted:

I just want you to know this playthrough inspired me to try Girl's Side: First Love which in turn led me to showing my brother's girlfriend who then apparently went on to play it all day Monday.

Three words: gently caress making chocolate.

Are you planning to play those games too, eventually? No pressure, of course! I'll eat up whichever you play, I'm sure.

Hahaha, is making chocolate some kind of awful mini-game in the GS games? And I'm halfway willing to play the Girl's Side games, but largely unwilling to buy them for the purposes of LPing.

Thanks for reading!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The main thing I know about GS is that one of them has a route where you date the principal.

He is a full 20 years your senior.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Hahaha, is making chocolate some kind of awful mini-game in the GS games? And I'm halfway willing to play the Girl's Side games, but largely unwilling to buy them for the purposes of LPing.

Thanks for reading!

Yes. Yes it is.

Especially if you emulate them, since it doesn't show up properly in...Gs3, I think.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I like Yuina's gym uniform. The other girls are using those red bands to keep their hair back, but not only is Yuina keeping her hair right in her eyes as per usual, she's using it as a neck tie because she don't give a gently caress about sports.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

This actually looks like a wholly different game, somehow, when not trying to pursue the platinum prize.

It's like playing Contra with 30 lives instead of 3.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!

quote:

Well that's understandable. What if someone gifted one to you? Not making any solid plans but I think it'd be worth it to get to see your reactions to playing from the other side of the gender barrier.

As mentioned the chocolate is indeed an awful mini-game for Valentine's Day. It doesn't seem to be be something you absolutely need to master to snag the dude you want, just gives a huuuuge affection boost. You can buy them expensive chocolate and do pretty okay.

Also your little brother is the one who keeps the info on guys in 'First Love' which is... slightly more unsettling compared to a classmate.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Alopex posted:

I like Yuina's gym uniform. The other girls are using those red bands to keep their hair back, but not only is Yuina keeping her hair right in her eyes as per usual, she's using it as a neck tie because she don't give a gently caress about sports.

The blazer is also artistic shorthand for "I sat in the shade the whole time".

Actually, in a TokiMemo side game named "Tokimeki After School: Let's Quiz", Yuina has a special scene for the sports festival.

(screenshot to be added once I can screen cap it at home)
Goon: (The sports festival has been cancelled by rain...)
Goon: (Oh, hey, that's Himoo-san over there.)
Goon: Hey, Himoo-san!
Goon: They say the sports festival is being called due to rain.
Yuina: Muhahaha... (TL note: The actual laugh is "fufufu", which is a very self-satisfied way of laughing in Japanese)
Goon: Wh, what's with that laugh?
Yuina: It is nothing. I am simply happy that the worthless sports festival has been cancelled.
Goon: Y, yeah?
Yuina: Muhahaha... what a splendid storm.
Goon: W, wait, did you have something to do with this, Himoo-san...?
Yuina: Wouldn't you like to know? Muhahaha...
Goon: (It... it can't be... that Himoo-san made it rain... can it?)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2014

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Somehow the Computer Club Yuina interactions of this playthrough seem a lot kinder to Goon. Benefits of being a fellow programmer and not just part of the great unwashed maybe?

vibratingsheep posted:

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a high school baseball story. Sue me!

I'd heartily recommend the one I'm reading right now (Last Inning), if only for the chance that means you might someday translate the raws so they aren't just picture books to me :v:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I just lost about 3 hours of gameplay footage in an Xsplit crash, and that means that I can't render the .mp4 output file because it crashed during recording. :/

Does anyone know a good way to repair/recover the footage in such a situation? My friend says that a lot of the mp4 repair programs he found via Google don't work, and the Xsplit support forums have been shut down for months due to their security breach. It'd really suck to have to go back and recapture everything for screenshot purposes, but if nothing works...

:(

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
Oh man I've played Tokimeki Girl's Side games years ago. They can be a kind of interesting look at social expectations/attitudes towards women crossed with myopic stat-counting. The dating a teacher thing is loving weird though. The principal guy is gross as all get out. I think I dated a cool guy with a motorcycle. I'm not very good at these sort of games :saddowns: Reloading 100 times is out of this world-- I'd rather be a dropout at a gas station.

Green Jacket posted:

Well that's understandable. What if someone gifted one to you?

What if more than one person conspired to gift it to you?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

I might consider a brief playthrough but nothing super thorough like this Shiori run. I am only one man, after all. And I don't have months to burn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Green Jacket posted:

Also your little brother is the one who keeps the info on guys in 'First Love' which is... slightly more unsettling compared to a classmate.

I'd like to top that - in Second Season, it's your next door neighbor (who is still only maybe 12), and there is also an ending for him.

In Third Story, it is one of your two best friends, who in random events can be found essentially stalking the male options for her purposes - she's obsessed with fortune telling and just has to know their blood type and birthdays and such.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Oh man I've played Tokimeki Girl's Side games years ago. They can be a kind of interesting look at social expectations/attitudes towards women crossed with myopic stat-counting. The dating a teacher thing is loving weird though. The principal guy is gross as all get out. I think I dated a cool guy with a motorcycle. I'm not very good at these sort of games :saddowns: Reloading 100 times is out of this world-- I'd rather be a dropout at a gas station.

To be fair, the teacher doesn't want to date you, so you do have to chase after him. (Also, the only present he accepts is homework.) On the other hand, the principal is ridiculous creepy.

Count me in on wanting to subject vibratingsheep to Tokimemo Girl's Side and reveling in the resulting reactions. Hell, I'll even be taking a trip to Japan soon, so I can help with procuring them.

• Locked thread