Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Perfect Potato posted:

Or maybe sometimes people complain about stupid poo poo. There was a massive thousand post thread on Neogaf a few weeks ago because someone couldn't handle the lack of a pause button in Dark Souls (exiting the game takes seconds and leaves you in the exact same spot as you left it, they were literally arguing about a 5-10 second difference for everytime you go take a dump or answer the door or feed a baby or whatever). I haven't played Revengeance but not every complaint is valid or worth listening to.

Funniest part about this is, if you are hollow and in a safe place it's actually beneficial just to leave the game running as you can get more estrus flasks from people lighting bonfires and no enemy will ever waltz over to attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Defending Platinum on this one seems odd. Not telling the player about the lock-on function is an oversight, likely not a deliberate one, and is only problematic until people inevitably find out about it when they first start reading about the game in depth. It's okay to acknowledge these things and still enjoy the game!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

When that game introduces every other mechanic like sprinting et c and it's buttons, except for lock on, you can't blame people for thinking you can't lock on.

Can you? Because it's literally the same button as it is in most games.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

VDay posted:

I don't remember what the reviews were like for Dark Souls, but the last game I remember that had a giant wave of negative reviews from Professional Video Games Reviewers who were simply too dumb/bad to get far or learn the game was Dragon's Dogma. It was kind of funny actually, most of the reviews were either super low or 7's, 8's, and 9's. You'd read a positive review and it'd talk about how fun the combat is and how there's hidden depth there that rewards you for dicking around and experimenting, and then read a super negative review where the reviewer couldn't get past the first or second tutorial area boss and just gave up, assuming the game was just some lovely, shallow beat-em-up.

Ugh, I'm still annoyed by how idiotic some of those reviews were. Thank god DD did well enough to get a sequel anyway.
"Dragon's Dogma? I loooved that game" - Patrick "3/5 Stars" Klepek.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hakkesshu posted:

The big difference is the type of game, though.
Yep, which is a consequence of having the Kickstarter backers bear almost all of the risk. Weird/Niche/New games are risky, and businesses don't like risk, especially the millions of dollars required to fund an entire game. If you can somehow talk tens of thousands of your customers into risking $75 each, then you've got something. That's the real shift that Kickstarter has provided. It seems like all the other pieces of the puzzle are remaining static.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mutation posted:

"Dragon's Dogma? I loooved that game" - Patrick "3/5 Stars" Klepek.

It's cool but its flawed as hell, I like games that aren't very good too

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

toasterwarrior posted:

The lightning-fast and hyper-aggressive pace of the game isn't working out for me with the camera; it's gotten me to settle for A-ranks instead of going for that S all the time since I'm a lot more used to DMC's pseudo-fighting-game style that doesn't necessarily have you charging in 24/7. It's still a fantastic game though, my preference aside.

I also with the secondary weapons weren't so goddamn clunky to use. For a game that fast they really couldn't have come up with an easier way of throwing grenades?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I also with the secondary weapons weren't so goddamn clunky to use. For a game that fast they really couldn't have come up with an easier way of throwing grenades?

You can just tap the button to quickly throw a grenade, or to quickly fire a rocket. Wish they would have mentioned that somewhere too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, just tap the button to quickly use it. Make sure you're looking in the right direction (even when locked-on, ugh) before tossing/firing though, and I think you can't cancel out of the use animation so you may actually want to take your time with the aiming if you can spare it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:pwn:

Okay yeah methinks the game needed some more direction or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jackie D posted:

It's cool but its flawed as hell, I like games that aren't very good too

Dragon's Dogma is very good, though. I'm not going to argue that it's flawed, but I still think it's one of the best RPGs made in the past decade.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If you dont know how to do something look it up in the help menu. Just because the game doesnt have a 30 minute tutorial doesnt mean it never tells you how to do poo poo.

The "Help" menu in MGR is just a move list for your current sword/secondary load out and nothing more. No mention of lock-on whatsoever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can you? Because it's literally the same button as it is in most games.

Really? What button on my keyboard locks on in a character action game because I've played MGR:R on PC and I haven't a clue.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

uPen posted:

Really? What button on my keyboard locks on in a character action game because I've played MGR:R on PC and I haven't a clue.

Why are you trying to play it with a keyboard in the first place, even on PC?

Regardless of MGR's failure to tutorialize, you're guaranteeing yourself a bad time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

uPen posted:

If you're playing with a keyboard, why haven't you checked the keymappings? This is like the first thing you do in every game where you play with a keyboard since there's rarely ever consistent mapping even between games in the same genre.

Yes, it should probably be mentioned in the tutorial that you can lock on, but it's really not a huge deal either way. I beat the game on hard without using it regularly.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 15, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009
Pretty much every thread I've seen Revengence mentioned on this forum has posted a youtube video of some guy teaching you how to parry. Now suddenly everyone in this thread says the game teaches you perfectly fine. :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Maduo posted:

You know you guys are exactly right. Next time someone tells me they don't understand how to build a wall in Dwarf Fortress I'm gonna tell them how obvious it is you need to hit b then C (not "c" CAPITAL C, ugh) then w then u 5-10 times. I mean it's in the help menu! Jeez.

Normal people can learn to play MGR just by actually playing it. You need to be a special kind of nerd to get into Dwarf Fortress.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

thefncrow posted:

The "Help" menu in MGR is just a move list for your current sword/secondary load out and nothing more. No mention of lock-on whatsoever.

There's a second screen if you press E or RB on a gamepad.

They could/should have made a separate pause menu option for the move list and the controls, but the controls screen does exist.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

They showed the in game tutorial in the QL. That's how I learned to do it!

And yeah, parrying is in the tutorial that they *ask if you want to do before the actual game even starts*. And in said tutorial, you have to parry over and over again before it'll let you finish.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 15, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

KoB posted:

Pretty much every thread I've seen Revengence mentioned on this forum has posted a youtube video of some guy teaching you how to parry. Now suddenly everyone in this thread says the game teaches you perfectly fine. :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Why did they not put a tutorial in the pause screen to say that 'switch screen' means switching screens???

KoB
May 1, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I've never played the game, so I have no idea. Its just funny that this seems to be the only thread that thinks its ok!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Why did they not put a tutorial in the pause screen to say that 'switch screen' means switching screens???

Uh, because then it would be too hand-holdy instead of incomprehensibly impossible. They had to pick an extreme, man.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think everyone here just needs to calm down and watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5OQrdlq2c

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Design elements that frustrate a professional game reviewer(whatever you think of their gaming ability) might be experience hampering for normal people buying the game.

(I don't want to spark an argument about 'plebs' ruining 'real' gaming)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

KoB posted:

I've never played the game, so I have no idea. Its just funny that this seems to be the only thread that thinks its ok!

I don't know that everyone thinks it's okay, just that you will learn everything you need to know by playing the game and experimenting.

The tutorial could be better, and it's optional to begin with, so I don't think anyone would have complained if it were, but let's be real, MGR isn't loving Dwarf Fortress. Playing it on normal it's much easier than Bayonetta or Vanquish.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Premium ??????????? video is today at 3:30 and Brad refuses to say what it is.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That is a Demon's Souls image in the "Coming Soon" window, but that doesn't really have to mean anything.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder if the people behind games like Candy Crush Saga or Clash of Clans feel like they're making actual valuable contributions to gaming culture or are just fine with the fact that their games are lovely games that manipulate stupid people.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if the people behind games like Candy Crush Saga or Clash of Clans feel like they're making actual valuable contributions to gaming culture or are just fine with the fact that their games are lovely games that manipulate stupid people.

I think they're too busy sleeping on the actual literal piles of money they get to care about this anymore.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

For what it's worth, Bejeweled isn't a lovely game, even if the payment structure around it is really rude.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The end of today's Spelunking was pretty great.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Honestly the biggest problem I have with the way MGR teaches controls is the the upgrade menu tells you nothing about how to do the moves you buy. No other character action game does that.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Mordiceius posted:

"Gaming culture" is a loving laugh riot.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Hakkesshu posted:

Dragon's Dogma is very good, though. I'm not going to argue that it's flawed, but I still think it's one of the best RPGs made in the past decade.

I totally agree with you. I can't wait for the next one.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

cronox2 posted:

Honestly the biggest problem I have with the way MGR teaches controls is the the upgrade menu tells you nothing about how to do the moves you buy. No other character action game does that.

As soon as you buy them they show up in the standard movelist under "help."

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Mordiceius posted:

They are making a contribution. Listen to Paul Barnett's golden age interview dumptruck.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mr. Bill posted:

As soon as you buy them they show up in the standard movelist under "help."

I think his point is that that's information it should be giving you before buying the skill, as it is in most other similar games.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
My biggest beef with Rising is the lack of proofreading in the codec subtitles. Sometimes they mix up words (not trying to kill vs. trying not to kill), skip lines entirely, or have text literally run off the screen because they forgot to use line breaks. Tell me they at least fix those for the PC port if not anything else.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

VDay posted:

You'd read a positive review and it'd talk about how fun the combat is and how there's hidden depth there that rewards you for dicking around and experimenting, and then read a super negative review where the reviewer couldn't get past the first or second tutorial area boss and just gave up, assuming the game was just some lovely, shallow beat-em-up.

It kind of was though, unless I was missing something completely. Fighting the bosses in that game is like it's strongest and weakest point. They're super fun but after about 2/3rds of a life bar you start feeling like you've jumped on a Mario bosses head a couple of times too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Strange Quark posted:

My biggest beef with Rising is the lack of proofreading in the codec subtitles. Sometimes they mix up words (not trying to kill vs. trying not to kill), skip lines entirely, or have text literally run off the screen because they forgot to use line breaks. Tell me they at least fix those for the PC port if not anything else.

I hadn't seen anything like this in my playthrough.

• Locked thread