Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 15" rMBP arrived yesterday, and I can't see any problems with the screen. Then again I'm not a MacRumors forums sperg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 15" rMBP arrived yesterday, and I can't see any problems with the screen. Then again I'm not a MacRumors forums sperg.

I started making a list of their dumbest threads but it broke my brain.

"What do you enjoy drinking when using your Air?"

"Are most Air users male or female"

"Should I buy a Mac laptop"

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

How do you know it's a Samsung panel? Did you look at its ColorSync profile?

I looked on Google when I bought it and there was a way to tell I which I dont remember at the moment, but both the screen and SSD indicated Samsung.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, why don't we only just discuss goon issues and not import drama from a lovely external forum? That sounds reasonable to me.

So you got a brand new one instead of a refurb, right? Didja get 10.9.1 on it or just 10.9?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Bought a new 15" mbp and a new linksys AC router, but im stuck at 20mbps over wireless a room away from the router. Network monitor shows 144mbps (instead of 867mbps i get when sitting next to the monitor). Any way to fix this? Kind of a bummer that im going to have to hook this macbook up with a gigabit connection in my room to even use my 50mbps connection.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

So you got a brand new one instead of a refurb, right? Didja get 10.9.1 on it or just 10.9?
Yep, a brand new one. If the 2.6/750M/512GB refurb SKU comes back into stock I might return this one and snag that. I went with 1TB SSD, but I'd deal with the 512GB to save that much money.

Re: 10.9.1: No clue. I wiped it as soon as I got it. It Internet Restored to 10.9.1 though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I started making a list of their dumbest threads but it broke my brain.

"What do you enjoy drinking when using your Air?"

"Are most Air users male or female"

"Should I buy a Mac laptop"

Will a mac improve my sex life?

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Animal posted:

My Haswell 15" rMBP has suddenly started showing a bright white spot on the lower left part of the screen. Its about 1mm in size and only visible on light backgrounds. Its a Samsung panel. Hopefully I'll be able to get the panel replaced.

Same deal on my 2012 with a Samsung replacement screen.

It seems like it's a pixel set to full brightness compared to the others. About 600x100 in from the edge of the screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

coolskillrex remix posted:

Bought a new 15" mbp and a new linksys AC router, but im stuck at 20mbps over wireless a room away from the router. Network monitor shows 144mbps (instead of 867mbps i get when sitting next to the monitor). Any way to fix this? Kind of a bummer that im going to have to hook this macbook up with a gigabit connection in my room to even use my 50mbps connection.

Is this on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? Wall penetration maybe a factor.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Thanks. Yea, over-analyzing their base model air screens. But I can't rag on people having high standards for their high end 15" models.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My Early 2008 macbook is essentially on its last legs of viability. I'm not sure if an iPad + keyboard attachment would be all-around better than something like a used mid-2011 11.6" macbook air 1.6ghz for $600ish? I really would want a real keyboard, but the portability/ease of use aspect of something like an iPad mini is really appealing...

My primary use is just surfing, chatting on facebook, and potentially watching netflix/hulu plus/youtube in bed or something. I read on a kindle so using it as an e-reader isn't a big deal for me. Portability isn't super important, as I wouldn't carry it with me every day.

Anyone with anecdotal experience is welcome to chime in.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ShaneB posted:

My Early 2008 macbook is essentially on its last legs of viability. I'm not sure if an iPad + keyboard attachment would be all-around better than something like a used mid-2011 11.6" macbook air 1.6ghz for $600ish? I really would want a real keyboard, but the portability/ease of use aspect of something like an iPad mini is really appealing...

My primary use is just surfing, chatting on facebook, and potentially watching netflix/hulu plus/youtube in bed or something. I read on a kindle so using it as an e-reader isn't a big deal for me. Portability isn't super important, as I wouldn't carry it with me every day.

I know a keyboard is a keyboard but do you have any experience with iOS dictation? I find that once you train yourself on it, really alleviates the need for a keyboard for light (communication) tasks. You could always just do a trial run with the iPad (mini), even online has 14 day return window from when you receive it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Animal posted:

My Haswell 15" rMBP has suddenly started showing a bright white spot on the lower left part of the screen. Its about 1mm in size and only visible on light backgrounds. Its a Samsung panel. Hopefully I'll be able to get the panel replaced.

My 2012 has this problem too. It showed up a little after the applecare expired. I would get it replaced.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kenny Logins posted:

I know a keyboard is a keyboard but do you have any experience with iOS dictation? I find that once you train yourself on it, really alleviates the need for a keyboard for light (communication) tasks. You could always just do a trial run with the iPad (mini), even online has 14 day return window from when you receive it.

Well I would want it for heavy typing comm on facebook and emails. I should probably just get the Air. More flexible all around...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Likely to be environmental factors limiting speeds.

Do you have steel beams through your walls / using high interference appliances between the Mac and AP?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've got an 11" MBA and a Mac Mini - both purchased since 2012 and both on 10.9.1. For the last couple of days, the Mini has been getting inordinately slow network speeds (50Kbps on a cachefly test) whereas the Air is perfectly fine (6Mbps or so). I've reset my router, restarted, all the normal suggestions - to no avail. They are both in roughly the same area of my apartment with respect to the router (which is in a different room).

Any ideas what the hell might be going on here?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is this on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? Wall penetration maybe a factor.

Im actually sitting a floor above it if that makes a diff.

5ghz or 2.4ghz? its a dual band router if that makes any difference.. i know in the 192.168.1.1 it had both 5ghz and 2.4ghz and i changed both to like channel 9

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hold Option (I think) and click the Airport icon in the menu bar. It will give you more details like what frequency you're connected on.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 16, 2014

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Old Option (I think) and click the Airport icon in the menu bar. It will give you more details like what frequency you're connected on.

You just blew my mind. Is there anywhere this kind of stuff is documented?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Im dumb, only had my mbp for like a day and didnt upgrade to 10.9.1, that fixed everything. maxed out at 58mbps just fine in my room now. (I get 897mbps 5ghz AC pretty far away too)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ShaneB posted:

An 11" MBA isn't that much bigger than an iPad. The problem with using an iPad as a laptop replacement is you can only do one thing at a time. I have an iPad and like it a lot, but if I didn't have an iMac as well, I would have bought one a long time ago.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Im actually sitting a floor above it if that makes a diff.

5ghz or 2.4ghz? its a dual band router if that makes any difference.. i know in the 192.168.1.1 it had both 5ghz and 2.4ghz and i changed both to like channel 9

Usually it's better to name your two bands different SSIDs so that you can associate to one only on certain devices.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

~Coxy posted:

Usually it's better to name your two bands different SSIDs so that you can associate to one only on certain devices.

That's kind of a pain. 2.4 has better penetration into the basement and out on the back deck. If I had two different SSIDs I'd have to manually switch as I roamed to the edges of coverage. As is, the devices that can do both bands seem to switch back and forth pretty well on their own, preferring 5ghz.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Im dumb, only had my mbp for like a day and didnt upgrade to 10.9.1, that fixed everything. maxed out at 58mbps just fine in my room now. (I get 897mbps 5ghz AC pretty far away too)

Well, at least you verified that if you don't keep your system up to date, baaaaad things happen.

Also you mean a rMBP don't you? Apple doesn't sell non-retina MBPs anymore except maybe as refurbs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Actually they still sell one lonely 13 inch non retina MBP configuration as a budget option. It's only $100 cheaper than the low end Retina and didn't even get refreshed to Haswell, but I guess if you need cheap internal HDD storage or cheap RAM upgradability it makes sense.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it makes sense if you're apple but if you buy one you're just one of those people who doesn't "get it."

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
After using a 2009 13 inch Macbook Pro base model for the past four years or so, I finally pulled the trigger on the Refurb Macbook Air (summer 2013) on the Apple website. I got the tricked out i7/8GB/512GB SSD option because the other options did not look too enticing with the 4GB RAM. Anyhoo, I know the computer is in mid-cycle but I feel like I got a decent deal on it and the fact that everything's upgraded means its definitely future-proof for a good while.

Did I make a terrible mistake? Is it a bad idea to buy a Macbook Air at this time? Should I have gone for the 13' Retina? For background info, I'm going to be using this computer for internet browsing, Lightroom for photo editing, and general programming apps like the Github app, sublime text editor, mysqlworkbench, etc. I also plan on either using Bootcamp for windows 8 and maybe a VM for Ubuntu. The only reason I went for the Air over the Retina was because I've heard that the Intel Iris integrated GPU isn't too great at keeping away the lags on the retina screen. Of course, I still have time to return it and buy myself the retina if that sounds like a better choice, thanks!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

ReptilePicasso posted:

After using a 2009 13 inch Macbook Pro base model for the past four years or so, I finally pulled the trigger on the Refurb Macbook Air (summer 2013) on the Apple website. I got the tricked out i7/8GB/512GB SSD option because the other options did not look too enticing with the 4GB RAM. Anyhoo, I know the computer is in mid-cycle but I feel like I got a decent deal on it and the fact that everything's upgraded means its definitely future-proof for a good while.

It's not really mid-cycle, it's still before the halfway point in the cycle. Haswell didn't really even become A Thing until October.

ReptilePicasso posted:

Did I make a terrible mistake? Is it a bad idea to buy a Macbook Air at this time? Should I have gone for the 13' Retina?

It's not a terrible mistake, and the timing is fine. The Retina's a good choice if you don't value money enough.

ReptilePicasso posted:

The only reason I went for the Air over the Retina was because I've heard that the Intel Iris integrated GPU isn't too great at keeping away the lags on the retina screen.

I don't think the complaints about lag are really credible. It sounds like people whining about some edge case. It's merely a 2560x1600 screen and Apple's had over a year to optimize things. Or maybe it's specific to particular browsers.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

shrughes posted:

It's not really mid-cycle, it's still before the halfway point in the cycle. Haswell didn't really even become A Thing until October.

It's not a terrible mistake, and the timing is fine. The Retina's a good choice if you don't value money enough.

I don't think the complaints about lag are really credible. It sounds like people whining about some edge case. It's merely a 2560x1600 screen and Apple's had over a year to optimize things. Or maybe it's specific to particular browsers.

Thanks for the reply, I did look at my friends new 13 inch retina and it didn't really seem like it had too much lag issues. A lot of people did complain about the screen on the Macbook Air but it looks completely fine to me.

Also, what do you mean that the retina's a good choice if you don't value money enough? Just wondering, because the 13 inch retina seems very comparable. The one I was looking at was a i5/8GB RAM/512GB SSD for maybe $30 cheaper than the air.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

ReptilePicasso posted:

Thanks for the reply, I did look at my friends new 13 inch retina and it didn't really seem like it had too much lag issues. A lot of people did complain about the screen on the Macbook Air but it looks completely fine to me.

Also, what do you mean that the retina's a good choice if you don't value money enough? Just wondering, because the 13 inch retina seems very comparable. The one I was looking at was a i5/8GB RAM/512GB SSD for maybe $30 cheaper than the air.

I mean that the 13" rMBP is generally more expensive than the 13" MBA. It starts $200 higher. Between what you list there and the i7/8GB/512GB MBA you got I'd definitely prefer the rMBP. The CPU performance on the rMBP's i5 is probably not really worse overall, too (except maybe for short bursts of computation, where it could be 10-20% slower in practice).

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I want to buy a Macbook Air, but I absolutely have to put Windows 7 or 8 on it. What's the cheapest and easiest way to do it through Boot Camp? I can only find upgrade versions of Windows to buy.

the the
Oct 3, 2004
I can't use my apple id properly! It seems someone else tried to register with my address.

My gmail address is frequently mistakenly entered when other people with similar names sign up for stuff. Unfortunatly one of these people seems to have signed up for an Apple ID with my address and setup security questions without ever having verfied their (read my)email. I've reset the password, verified my email and logged in but there is some stuff I can't change.

I don't know their security questions and I can't remove their alternative email (which is not displayed in full) which leaves me open to them taking control of my apple ID in the future!

I really want to use my current email as I use it for everything but I can't change the security questions or alternative email!

Any ideas?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

the the posted:

Any ideas?

Call them. My sister forgot her security answers and they fixed it in a minute or two; and this was done on Christmas day. Should be an easy fix since you have access to the original email address.

the the
Oct 3, 2004

Athletic Footjob posted:

Call them. My sister forgot her security answers and they fixed it in a minute or two; and this was done on Christmas day. Should be an easy fix since you have access to the original email address.

Yep, 20 minute phone call and I got it sorted. Cheers!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Actually they still sell one lonely 13 inch non retina MBP configuration as a budget option. It's only $100 cheaper than the low end Retina and didn't even get refreshed to Haswell, but I guess if you need cheap internal HDD storage or cheap RAM upgradability it makes sense.

Bought a new 15" mbp and a new linksys AC router,

He said he bought a new 15-inch, so it has to be a rMBP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Euphoriaphone posted:

I want to buy a Macbook Air, but I absolutely have to put Windows 7 or 8 on it. What's the cheapest and easiest way to do it through Boot Camp? I can only find upgrade versions of Windows to buy.

If you're a student, you can get a full Windows 8.1 Pro for $70, the educational price at http://www.academicsuperstore.com.

If not, then you could pick up an OEM version from Newegg for about $140. OEM means no support from Microsoft and you can't move it to another machine once installed.

I'd also get an SSD bigger than 128 GB if you plan on running VMs, just IMHO.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Which key is the Option Key on a normal keyboard?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Alt

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I've got a 2012 rMBP 15" which I'm otherwise really happy with, but I grimaced a bit when I saw this earlier: (incoming lovely cameraphone image, sorry!)

There's textual and tweetbot showing through on the 1password grey lock screen. Tweetbot especially noticeable on the right side of the image, and textual's white window borders / scrollbars. I realise I hardly ever see it because it's just not that visible until something 50% grey pops up (so basically the 1PWD lock screen, and twitch.tv flash streams loading up before the video data comes through).

Is this considered 'bad' retention? If so, is it worth taking it to a fruit stand or is this just one of the risks of the first-gen retina screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

andyf posted:

Is this considered 'bad' retention? If so, is it worth taking it to a fruit stand or is this just one of the risks of the first-gen retina screens?
If you can see it, it's bad. If it bothers you take it back.