Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I don't understand why you're so eager to defend it. People are always saying it's ok if something is lovely because it's "for kids" but kids should be raised on high-quality fun, so they have good taste as adults. IMO, etc.
The Transformers I was raised on required two or three flips to get from car to robot and had little articulation beyond moving arms around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's not a defense. It's a fact.
It's a children's toy made for a different audience, not a personal insult. If you look at a toy of Optimus Prime and start talking about kid's "taste" and "fun levels" it's time to go outside, take a walk, maybe talk to some friends. We don't want to end up like those grown ups who talk about that other hasbro property like it's exclusively for them and not for kids.
Most people here don't even like the movies anyway at least not on their surface presentation level, not sure why anyone would care deeply about them.

Also get ready for years of toys outside CHUG looking like this, a recent interview on tfw2005 indicates the next show will be much more like rescue bots. Hasbro is seriously gunning to get the next generation on board all of a sudden. Well, good on them, at least we have third parties, chug, and idw, and all of those are things that did not exist until recent.

My only disappointment is that I like dinobots and was hoping for nice representations of them. Woe is me.
I tend to like cyberverse though, and as long as some of those are decent I'll be happy. A pocket full of dinosaurs would suit me.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Endless Mike posted:

The Transformers I was raised on required two or three flips to get from car to robot and had little articulation beyond moving arms around.

Same, and I still managed to break some of them.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Endless Mike posted:

I remember my first transformers were Red Alert, Sandstorm, Weirdwolf, Sureshot, and the later combiners like Defensor and Menasor. I remember these toys being simple to transform in a different way, the engineering style and articulation methods were more simplistic and primitive. This engineering is focused on minimizing raw materials, reducing the number of parts molded, and removing complex factory assembly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is this the one designed to be converted in eight or fifteen steps or something? The other OP they've shown looks a bit better but I don't care too much for the design anyway. I will only get figures of this line if they're really cool... uh which is what I already do with every line now that I think about it.

I don't understand why you're so eager to defend it. People are always saying it's ok if something is lovely because it's "for kids" but kids should be raised on high-quality fun, so they have good taste as adults. IMO, etc.

Like I agree that the toy is ugly but jesus, read what you just wrote.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

A four year old doesn't want a Transformer that they need a 35 panel instruction manual to get into bot mode.

By the time they are six they want video games so toys don't matter anymore.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
You can make a cheap, high-quality transforming robot toy without turning it into Panels: The Movie: The Toy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bit tricky when the movie is Panels: The Movie.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Compare that to pretty much anything in Cybertron or even Energon. Cybertron and early classics probably hit as good a balance as they can get.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

Like I agree that the toy is ugly but jesus, read what you just wrote.

Yeah, I'm some kind of a monster because I'd rather feed a kid vegetables than McDonalds.

Endless Mike posted:

There's a huge difference between simple and lovely. Speaking of McDonalds, their happy meal transformers were better engineered than that Optimus. And it's not as if I dislike it because it's new, I wouldn't be in favor of giving a kid a Cindersaur instead of that thing, because they're both equally lovely.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I'm some kind of a monster because I'd rather feed a kid vegetables than McDonalds.

You managed to make the comparison even worse.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you do not give a kid the right toys he might not buy better toys for himself when he grows up :ohdear:

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rita Repulsa posted:

If you do not give a kid the right toys he might not buy better toys for himself when he grows up :ohdear:

If you can't get into a good preschool you can't get accepted to a good kindergarten and may not get a slot at the private school.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

edit: eh, I'm done feeding the trolls. It's way too easy to get a rise out of me.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

Age of Extinction Premium Edition Optimus Prime Revealed

Well, that is certainly...um...that is to say, it's very...er...

Jesus Christ, Hasbro. :cripes:
Suddenly that Dragon Train Optimus thing doesn't seem so bad.

e:
I guess we should be happy this thing still has elbow joints.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Good, now let's get back to discussing the figure.

I'm blaming whoever approved the character design in the first place. It's an interesting looking robot, but when you decide to mix the hyper-complex movie designs (who don't even have much vehicle kibble anymore), making them into a transformable toy, AND decide to simplify them for children (which is a good goal, by itself), you end up with this. If they do decide to make simple robot designs like those in rescue bots fro the next animation series, there would be no problem with simplifying the toyline.

TheDK posted:

Suddenly that Dragon Train Optimus thing doesn't seem so bad.

e:
I guess we should be happy this thing still has elbow joints.

It's still poo poo, just of a different kind.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The part that surprises me most (and in this day and age I'm definitely in "fool me twice shame on me territory") is the lack of paint apps on that giant crazy back panel. I mean, it wouldn't've helped much, but if there was some silver on those greeblies it would've disguised just a bit that you're looking at the underside of a giant chunk of truck. I mean I own and like a lot of BW2 toys but that thing is offensively shellformery.

edit - silver lining department: I'm genuinely happy they remembered that chrome exists.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The part that surprises me most (and in this day and age I'm definitely in "fool me twice shame on me territory") is the lack of paint apps on that giant crazy back panel. I mean, it wouldn't've helped much, but if there was some silver on those greeblies it would've disguised just a bit that you're looking at the underside of a giant chunk of truck. I mean I own and like a lot of BW2 toys but that thing is offensively shellformery.

edit - silver lining department: I'm genuinely happy they remembered that chrome exists.

This crazy looking thing is marked as the premium edition, won't the regular release be all beige-grey plastic and Silver-esq (TM) paint apps?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
That Optimus makes armada Sideswipe look like a masterpiece.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Keldroc posted:

Age of Extinction Premium Edition Optimus Prime Revealed

Well, that is certainly...um...that is to say, it's very...er...

Jesus Christ, Hasbro. :cripes:

At this point I can't even say that it's Optimus Prime anymore. The classic imagery isn't there anymore. No mouth guard, no chest windows, and he's more silver then red or blue. You take the truck plating off of him and you could sell him as an Ultraman and people would buy that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Blackheart posted:

Good, now let's get back to discussing the figure.

I'm blaming whoever approved the character design in the first place. It's an interesting looking robot, but when you decide to mix the hyper-complex movie designs (who don't even have much vehicle kibble anymore), making them into a transformable toy, AND decide to simplify them for children (which is a good goal, by itself), you end up with this. If they do decide to make simple robot designs like those in rescue bots fro the next animation series, there would be no problem with simplifying the toyline.

Silhouette commented that it looks like one of those movie character shampoo bottles, and I can't disagree with that.

The chrome also kind of makes it look like if you peeled it off there would be chocolate underneath.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 15, 2014

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Keldroc posted:

Silhouette commented that it looks like one of those movie character shampoo bottles, and I can't disagree with that.

The chrome also kind of makes it look like if you peeled it off there would be chocolate underneath.

The factory boss saw this figure and lost face.
http://www.tygerpipes.com/product.html?pid=1108

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:lol:

This has to be a loving joke post.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

You know what are some awesome transforming toys? Those goddamn Switch N' Go Dinos by Vtech. Target is clearancing out the $13 set, and I picked up two last night and goddamn, so much fun for being simple. They talk, they light up, they turn into vehicles and dinosaurs and Torr the green one, sounds like Grimlock.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

You know what are some awesome transforming toys? Those goddamn Switch N' Go Dinos by Vtech. Target is clearancing out the $13 set, and I picked up two last night and goddamn, so much fun for being simple. They talk, they light up, they turn into vehicles and dinosaurs and Torr the green one, sounds like Grimlock.

AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH ahghdsfjsdfkl

Look at this magnificent bastard for $30
http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Switch-...tch+and+go+dino

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
It's pretty incredible what those things can do given how inexpensive they are

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Rage posted:

I totally snagged that black/silver/orange gigantosaur for my kid even though he's only a year old because in a year or so that'll be baby's first Trypticon.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's pretty incredible what those things can do given how inexpensive they are

And the plastic, locking, ratcheting, etc. is like an absolute dream.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I totally snagged that black/silver/orange gigantosaur for my kid even though he's only a year old because in a year or so that'll be baby's first Trypticon.

And the plastic, locking, ratcheting, etc. is like an absolute dream.

The one green guy I've got reminds me of a Cybertron-era ultra-class toy.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH ahghdsfjsdfkl

Look at this magnificent bastard for $30
http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Switch-...tch+and+go+dino

And those eyes on his little windshield? Yeah, they change expression when it talks and transforms and poo poo.

$30

And if you've got a Fred Meyer/Kroger near by, they're clearancing out the huge gently caress-off Tyrannosaur:

http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Switch-Go-Dinos-Dinosaur/dp/B00CMNX2IA/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_y

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUCKER

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I bought the velociraptor helicopter and the allosaurus jet fighter for my 4 1/2 year old niece for Christmas and she loves them. The helicopter is a bit too complex for her to transform easily, but the jet is just right. They're pretty cool "my first Transformer" style toys. I especially like that, when they're in dino mode, most of their speech is funfacts about the dinosaur they turn into.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

I especially like that, when they're in dino mode, most of their speech is funfacts about the dinosaur they turn into.

I can tell you've never heard the voice of that baby Trypticon. He makes Jazz sound like Benedict Cumberpatch and makes my white guilt flare up like crazy.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I can tell you've never heard the voice of that baby Trypticon. He makes Jazz sound like Benedict Cumberpatch and makes my white guilt flare up like crazy.

Good job buying the racist version

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Is that the opposite of "Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X"?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SpikeMcclane posted:

That's not a transformer. That's a robot inside a completely separable, truck-shaped pretender shell.

Are you calling Big Convoy/Nemesis Prime a non-transformer? :colbert:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rita Repulsa posted:

Also get ready for years of toys outside CHUG looking like this, a recent interview on tfw2005 indicates the next show will be much more like rescue bots.

From the phrasing in the interview itself, it sounds like they're aiming to recapture the spirit of Animated, which i'm all for.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

No, I have. He still fires off giganotosaurus factoids once he's out of in-box demo mode.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Beast Wars Neo figures kibble was so absurd that it wrapped all the way around into being awesome.

Peter Bazooka fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

No, I have. He still fires off giganotosaurus factoids once he's out of in-box demo mode.

Huh, maybe I'll give it a shot, I was so horrified I yanked the batteries.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

The Taint Reaper posted:

1) Big Convoy has a lot of shell, but he also has a lot more of the beast mode integrated into his robot mode, than that Optimus. If you removed the mammoth bits, you'd have a really lame looking, incomplete robot. On that Optimus, the only thing you'd lose are the smokestacks.
2) BC's shell bits are shaggy hair, so it makes sense for that to be hanging off the mechanical bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a vtech Dino stegosaurus? And if so, is it cool? :ohdear:

Stegosaurus best saurus.