Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Shannonmcn posted:

merlot, Glenfiddich, vodka and soda water and a sugared glass

uggghhhhhh whyyyyyyy would anybody put those things together
'don't mix your drinks' is a load of crap, but that doesn't mean you should LITERALLY mix them

anyway i just wandered in to say that i'm tentatively happy with science today which is unusual for me :)

this is the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

caught the dog lounging in the sun like a drat cat

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Spanish Manlove posted:

They'll understand you pretty well though some vocabulary is different. I know Castilian is a little more rude compared to Latin America, at least in Florida I greatly offended a guy at a Cuban diner by saying "me pone un cafesito" instead of "me puede dar un cafesito" because I was use to the former. It should be te same in Cuba proper so mind your manners.

Oh and Spain is still really sexist, but not as bad as it used to be. People no longer think of my mom as a mutant for not wanting to be locked in a kitchen 24/7 but it's still bad. I blame the moors.

oh righto, so try to keep a more formal construction until the other party in the conversation lets me know how lax to be. my pronunciation will let everyone know i'm foreign and the sheepish smile for the first week or so should help

italy wishes they could try to blame the moors for how sexist it is, hence why they are also so racist

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

bathroom sounds posted:

I don't think of cheese when I think of Spain. Have I been missing out?

Also I have read that sangria is considered the cocktail equivalent of pig slop that Spanish restaurateurs pawn off on unsuspecting tourists but jokes on them because that poo poo's delicious.

Every Spanish cheese I've had has been delicious. Spanish Manlove could probably tell you more about it, though.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Shannonmcn posted:

My friend made me the most disgusting 'wine cocktail' last week with merlot, Glenfiddich, vodka and soda water and a sugared glass then had me try and guess the ingredients. It was such a waste of all those things and she wasn't even drinking.

Gross. What a waste of scotch.

I'm black so my mom's side can only be traced back to slavery times in Louisiana. We could do a genealogy test though I guess. My dad is from Ghana and they're big shots over there so he can trace back everyone in his lineage to like 1600 which is pretty badass even though I don't find it particularly interesting. I want to have a portrait done at the family compound before I die, but I haven't made it out to Ghana quite yet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bathroom sounds posted:

I don't think of cheese when I think of Spain. Have I been missing out?

Also I have read that sangria is considered the cocktail equivalent of pig slop that Spanish restaurateurs pawn off on unsuspecting tourists but jokes on them because that poo poo's delicious.

Spanish cheese owns really hard. You can get semi-decent manchego at whole foods but the price you pay for a tiny slice there is what half a wheel costs in Spain. The older it is the drier and more pungent it tastes. Pair with aged charcuterie, olives with pits and a dry white wine.

Bar sangria is pig slop that they give to tourists so get a tinto at a bar or a beer. Home made sangria is the best and usually reserved for big parties. I can try to get my aunt's recipe for everyone but it's seriously just chopped fruit, red wine, brandy, cognac, and sugar that's been mixed and refrigerated for a few days.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fisticuffs posted:

Gross. What a waste of scotch.

I'm black so my mom's side can only be traced back to slavery times in Louisiana. We could do a genealogy test though I guess. My dad is from Ghana and they're big shots over there so he can trace back everyone in his lineage to like 1600 which is pretty badass even though I don't find it particularly interesting. I want to have a portrait done at the family compound before I die, but I haven't made it out to Ghana quite yet.

Apparently there's a town and castle in Bavaria with my family name. Definitely want to see it someday.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ohhhhhhh manchego is one of my favourite cheeses of all (and cheeses are the best things)

actually I have some in the fridge right now brb cheesetime

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I'm not Irish at all and don't pretend to be, ever, but I do love the way Gaelic sounds. A while back I had an hour+ commute and burned some shows from the language section of bbc.co.uk to MP3 and would listen to that during the commute. I now feel confident enough in my Irish speaking that I feel I could have a conversations with an average Irish 3 year old about what color their jumper is or where the milk is or yes, that cat is black. My spelling however is atrocious, and my reading of it only slightly better. Please don't judge me too harshly :shobon:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Fisticuffs posted:

My dad is from Ghana and they're big shots over there so he can trace back everyone in his lineage to like 1600 which is pretty badass even though I don't find it particularly interesting. I want to have a portrait done at the family compound before I die, but I haven't made it out to Ghana quite yet.
Every time I hear "Ghana" I'm reminded of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

I hope I never find out what's actually going on with that movie.

Thora posted:

I'm not Irish at all and don't pretend to be, ever, but I do love the way Gaelic sounds. A while back I had an hour+ commute and burned some shows from the language section of bbc.co.uk to MP3 and would listen to that during the commute. I now feel confident enough in my Irish speaking that I feel I could have a conversations with an average Irish 3 year old about what color their jumper is or where the milk is or yes, that cat is black. My spelling however is atrocious, and my reading of it only slightly better. Please don't judge me too harshly :shobon:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 15, 2014

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My roots are Ukrainian, and Norwegian on my mom's adopted family side (7th generation Canadian) and Swedish on my mom's birth mother's side (3rd generation), while my dad and his family came from Germany during the cold war, so I'm first generation Canadian on that side.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
genealogychat had me googling 23andme and now i've been watching 'finding your roots'. the ep with samuel l jackson, condi rice and ruth simmons was all about descendants of african slaves finding out about their ancestry. all three of them were able to find out which area of africa their enslaved ancestors likely came from using that genealogy test. it also shows a program in new york where kids are able to trace their african ancestry which looks loving brilliant, a couple of them actually say on tape that it's given them a renewed sense of who they are. i think it's true, being able to point on a map to where your genes were at x point in time is something really powerful, and once i have the means i want to be able to trace my poo poo back as far as i can. i dont even know where my paternal greatgrandparents were born or where my grandfather was born and that makes me sad, but that poo poo can't scratch the surface of the intergenerational trauma chattel slavery could produce. i wish it was easier to track maternal ancestral lines, as it stands i can only track my female heritage back about four generations on one side. gonna get my genes catalogued and spied on by the government asap so i can find out more. that's super duper cool about being a big shot ghanaian, you should go over and be like HELLO FRIENDS IM A P BIG DEAL BY BLOOD LETS FUCKIN PARTY ALSO HI :shobon:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 15, 2014

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I never said I wasn't a geeky nerd. Or nerdy geek. Either works.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

Apparently there's a town and castle in Bavaria with my family name. Definitely want to see it someday.

that rules. go and post pics tia

my mum's family has this ridiculous story that we were TOTAL NOBILITY YOU GUYS in france and had to flee to italy during the revolution, whereupon we became total peasant fishermen and net-weavers. i have so far encountered zero evidence of our nobility apart from the fact that one of our family traits is that you can always tell when we're going to wake up in the morning because 1 minute before we all rip a huge fart in our sleep

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my ancestors were dirt farmers in nebulous europe zone

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

This thread moves so fast!

Copper IUD havers, I'm considering getting one this summer. How was the "installation"? Was it very painful? How is dealing with the emergency string? How is intercourse different?

FLUFFBUTTS!

I really want a DNA test, but $99 bux to satisfy my curiosity seems like a lot.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The town is well-known for their ceramics, apparently. My mom's bought a bunch of it off ebay, she gave me a little ashtray with the town name and a picture of the castle on it a few years back. I'd post a pic, but due to the name I'm ridiculously easy to google.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Suzy Munich is that you?!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

The town is well-known for their ceramics, apparently. My mom's bought a bunch of it off ebay, she gave me a little ashtray with the town name and a picture of the castle on it a few years back. I'd post a pic, but due to the name I'm ridiculously easy to google.

fair enough. i'm careful about mentioning random things ive done because i have a vanishingly uncommon first name and if i mention projects i've done you could googlestalk me off the first result :negative:

which stinks bc boasting about stuff on the internet rules

that's so cool though, it basically implies that your family were long-standing patrons of the arts

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sara Danzig is a bird?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Thora posted:

Learning languages is awesome! As a note, 'Gaelic' is a generic word that can refer to different languages in the Celtic family, such as Scotch Gaelic or Irish Gaelic. They are similar but not the same. 'Irish Gaelic' is just another term for the Irish language, which is generally just called 'Irish' or Gaeilge, which is the Irish word for 'the Irish language'

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I'm the only person with my first/last name combo in the US, probably the world. I don't have a massive web presence or anything, but I'd rather not take any chances, y'know?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

I'm the only person with my first/last name combo in the US, probably the world. I don't have a massive web presence or anything, but I'd rather not take any chances, y'know?

Raisintowne Larva-McFlurry

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Even if you knew my name, good luck finding me as even credit companies have trouble getting that poo poo right ahahaha total anonymity owns deal with it ladies

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
gots my name on the Main Page for writing about go-fast snails made with computers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cis het white male born male wins again *slam dunks privilege*

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My Oma claims that her grandfather was a Russian count who fled the country in a hay cart to avoid going to war. He then settled in Prussia to raise horses.

I have no idea how true any of that is.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pick posted:

Raisintowne Larva-McFlurry

:tinfoil:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I'm related to the McCoys, and then on my mother's side another group of nebulous white people (the Clarks of Indiana) and German farmers.

The only one that is remotely interesting is the McCoy side of things.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
my name is basically 'blackfella crackerskip', it's p great

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My family were apparently bards to the old Kings of Ireland, the O'Neills. My housemate is an O'Neill but I don't sing for him. There's an old rock in the Ulster Museum that is called the throne of the O'Neills or something and the loser wouldn't even sit on it for a picture, I offered to distract the security guy and everything.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
wtf what a wuss. i licked blue poles on a dare and got frog marched out of the gallery for the lulz alone

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

P_T_S posted:

This thread moves so fast!

Copper IUD havers, I'm considering getting one this summer. How was the "installation"? Was it very painful? How is dealing with the emergency string? How is intercourse different?

FLUFFBUTTS!

I really want a DNA test, but $99 bux to satisfy my curiosity seems like a lot.

There's a Birth Control Megathread in Ask/Tell that has a lot of great info and cool people who will answer your questions. I've posted a lot about my experiences in there over the course of a year with the IUD, if you hunt down one of my posts and click the "?" under my name. Not to run you out of here though, I will gladly answer any questions you have because I love this IUD and so many people seem to not know about it!

- "Installation" was not very painful for me, but this can vary person to person. For me it just felt like two REALLY big menstrual cramps. Once when they measured me, once when they actually put the device in. It was over in a matter of seconds in any case.

- I don't really deal with the strings at all. Sometimes I check them just to be sure everything's still where it needs to be but otherwise I don't feel them in normal everyday life, only if I go rooting around in my vagina. They stay really far up in there so it's not like you have strings hanging out of you or anything.

- Intercourse isn't really different. If anything it's better because I'm not dealing with weird hormonal stuff anymore (constant yeast infections and the pill also dried me out down there) and my sex drive shot through the roof back to my natural state. :q: I've asked and my partner says he's never felt the strings or noticed any difference. It's also easier to be spontaneous when your body feels like a babyproof fortress. :black101:

I won't lie, the first few periods with the IUD were rough (invest in ibuprofen, heat pads and black underwear), but it gets better after a few months if you can hold on. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or in the other thread as I check it all the time!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My boyfriend's surname is Moon. He's mainly of French and Scottish ancestry, but gets a ton of junk mail that assumes he's Korean.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shannonmcn posted:

My family were apparently bards to the old Kings of Ireland, the O'Neills. My housemate is an O'Neill but I don't sing for him. There's an old rock in the Ulster Museum that is called the throne of the O'Neills or something and the loser wouldn't even sit on it for a picture, I offered to distract the security guy and everything.

Lmao lame. Abuelo franco was a stevedore (also costelero come Easter) and a truck driver. Also A cousin of my father is a renown flamenco guitarist who now teaches at the university in cordoba. He doesn't sing for some wussy king.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

My boyfriend's surname is Moon. He's mainly of French and Scottish ancestry, but gets a ton of junk mail that assumes he's Korean.

oh my god you're dating moon moon

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lmao lame. Abuelo franco was a stevedore (also costelero come Easter) and a truck driver. Also A cousin of my father is a renown flamenco guitarist who now teaches at the university in cordoba. He doesn't sing for some wussy king.

you probably have to be good to play for monarchs :owned:

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Pick posted:

gots my name on the Main Page for writing about go-fast snails made with computers

Tell me more about fast snails please

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo posted:

you probably have to be good to play for monarchs :owned:

Kill all royalty and give their land to the peasants. The duchess of alba doesn't need a fuckin farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pick posted:

oh my god you're dating moon moon

Only when he's had too much to drink. He's reasonably normal most of the time.

• Locked thread