Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

If only they could be converted to Dark Engine format. It'd be really awesome to get a SS1 TC for SS2, since the original's controls were just so ridiculously clunky by comparison.

I had tried to find map format specifications for the Dark engine a while back but I came up with nothing. UW/Shock are just tile-map based engines so in theory all I would need is code to implement the dozen or so tile types as Dark engine brushes to at least get the geometry ported over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
God I forgot what a pain in the rear end Rise of the Triad is if you're playing it in Hard or Crezzy difficulty. There's way too many enemies and not nearly enough weapons and health pickups to get you through a level. E1A2, the second map in the game, turns into you holding down the fire key with the MP40 and hoping that you can kill everyone in the room without taking more than two or so shots because there are like 10 health items total throughout the level and half of them are the monk meal pickups that give you 10 HP. There's four or so explosive weapons total, so you better get an MP40 or else you'll be running back and forth while plinking everyone to death with the dual pistols. I think I'll be switching back to Normal difficulty because it's clear they didn't really test Hard very well. It's fun for cheat code shenanigans, but not much else.

I'd like to try NME in Crezzy difficulty though just so I can say I took his rear end out in the hardest difficulty. :v:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I took his rear end out on the hardest difficulty.
First thing I do in any modern game is go with the highest difficulty, I've gotten to used to difficulties getting skewed over the years. I haven't actually played RotT on anything lower so I don't know about more enemies, but a lot of them can be massive bullet sponges at times.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I retried Hard as IP Freely, and it seems to be as bit more manageable. The extra health really helps and his slower speed makes things more controllable compared to flying into everything as Thi.

I don't see the point in using the speedy characters in RoTT. There's rarely enough room for you to actually take advantage of their speed to avoid enemy attacks. Plus, they have lower health compared to the other characters, so you can't take hits as well as the others can, which is really important in RoTT. I guess you could use Lorelei for speed running.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

closeted republican posted:

I don't see the point in using the speedy characters in RoTT. There's rarely enough room for you to actually take advantage of their speed to avoid enemy attacks. Plus, they have lower health compared to the other characters, so you can't take hits as well as the others can, which is really important in RoTT. I guess you could use Lorelei for speed running.

There are many secrets that are literally impossible to get unless you're using Lorelei.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

There are many secrets that are literally impossible to get unless you're using Lorelei.

IIRC, Extreme Rise of the Triad is impossible to beat legitimately without Lorelei.

She has her uses, but they're very specialized ones. In most cases, you're just fine using Tarintino, IP or Doug. Thi feels like the most useless character out of the bunch, because she's not as fast as Lorelei and doesn't have as much health as the others. If you want to zip around and grab every secret, Lorelei or bust.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hank Morgan posted:

I had tried to find map format specifications for the Dark engine a while back but I came up with nothing. UW/Shock are just tile-map based engines so in theory all I would need is code to implement the dozen or so tile types as Dark engine brushes to at least get the geometry ported over.

The Dark Engine is a nightmare of CSG construction.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished DTWID (excluding the Lost Episodes) and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Episodes 2+3 were a lot better than the actual Doom episodes 2+3, while still retaining that feel. I think I prefer Doom to Doom 2. There's just something about the simplicity of the monster set that appeals to me. I miss the SSG, but I don't miss Archviles or Pain elementals. Especially pain elementals. Next up, though, I go back to Doom 2 with No Rest for the Living.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Scythe was great, lots of fun, short, punchy levels (except there's no way I'm attempting Map30). Scythe 2 is even better. It's just as fun, but the architecture is sublimely epic. Canyon of Blood is one of many maps that blew me away.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Recently got into Doom in a big way and I'm working through Doom II currently. All I can say so far is drat you Sandy Petersen! Your levels are the worst! :argh:

apophenium fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 15, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Does anyone feel the HD remakes of Serious Sam TFE & TSE are a little off? I mean they have the same gameplay as the originals, but something feels slightly off kilter. Maybe it's an engine thing? I dunno. They sure are purdy though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 15, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Starhawk64 posted:

Does anyone feel the HD remakes of Serious Sam TFE & TSE are a little off? I mean they same the same gameplay as the originals, but something feels slightly off kilter. Maybe it's an engine thing? I dunno. They sure are purdy though.

In my opinion, the only thing that's really changed is that the improved graphics kinda make them easier to compare to more recent games. It'd be the same if like someone went back and actually upgraded the original Quake to something like mid-2000s models and enviroments (as opposed to the usual fan made "upgrades" that consist of running a 4x filter against some textures and maybe smoothing a few brushes out)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Starhawk64 posted:

Does anyone feel the HD remakes of Serious Sam TFE & TSE are a little off? I mean they same the same gameplay as the originals, but something feels slightly off kilter. Maybe it's an engine thing? I dunno. They sure are purdy though.

The most significant disparity between the two versions (original and HD) is the absence of gravity-bending arenas in the HD version, such as the circular room where you can run on the walls and the ceiling. Other than that, I haven't noticed any pronounced differences between the two.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The most significant disparity between the two versions (original and HD) is the absence of gravity-bending arenas in the HD version, such as the circular room where you can run on the walls and the ceiling. Other than that, I haven't noticed any pronounced differences between the two.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I found out they took those rooms out, they were trippy as gently caress, and I wished there were more rooms like that in the original version. The only other FPS game that comes to mind to take advantage o gravity fuckery was Prey, which I personally liked but it was one of those "meh" kind of games according to the gaming public.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

I took his rear end out on the hardest difficulty.
First thing I do in any modern game is go with the highest difficulty, I've gotten to used to difficulties getting skewed over the years. I haven't actually played RotT on anything lower so I don't know about more enemies, but a lot of them can be massive bullet sponges at times.

I actually find many modern FPS games harder than classic ones (the original maps; with mods all bets are off). Even with Spear of Destiny on Death Incarnate, I've had fewer "HOW THE gently caress DO I SURVIVE THIS BULLSHIT?!" moments than I had playing Crysis on Easy. Hell, even Call of Duty 2 on Easy gives me more trouble than Spear of Destiny on Medium.

But then I only played Call of Duty 2 for about nine hours, and the total number of hours I've sunk into Wolfenstein could probably be measured in thousands. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The main difficulty in Wolf 3D came from the fact that you had to remember your way around very samey rooms and corridors with no distinguishing floors/ceilings and your weapons were all just different speeds of dealing the same bullets out for most of the game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Also, there was ABSOLUTELY no rhyme or reason to where secrets were placed. I don't mean that there were no visual indicators, I mean that there were no rules besides "press on every single wall"

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I actually find many modern FPS games harder than classic ones (the original maps; with mods all bets are off). Even with Spear of Destiny on Death Incarnate, I've had fewer "HOW THE gently caress DO I SURVIVE THIS BULLSHIT?!" moments than I had playing Crysis on Easy. Hell, even Call of Duty 2 on Easy gives me more trouble than Spear of Destiny on Medium.

But then I only played Call of Duty 2 for about nine hours, and the total number of hours I've sunk into Wolfenstein could probably be measured in thousands. :v:

I think it's because there's a lot more you need to take into account when playing a modern game than with classics. Games like Doom, Wolf3D, Serious Sam, and Quake look intimidating at first, but they're not that hard because the only thing you need to worry about are taking out the enemy horde and making sure you have enough ammo to take them out. There are a few environmental hazards to mix things up, but they're usually really easy to avoid. With something like Call of Duty, you not only need to keep the amount of enemies coming in check, you also need to plan a route, find a safe spot, be ready to defend the safe spot if someone tries to rush you, make sure you're have a decent automatic gun that has a fresh magazine, and check that your two weapons combined can deal with enemies at any range in case of something like an RPG guy suddenly appearing from a distance. There are a lot of non-enemy-related factors that can gently caress you up, which means you have more chances to die. With the classics, the only non-enemy factors you have to deal with in combat is "do I have enough ammo to deal with the enemies" and "I should avoid the environmental hazards nearby".

In Crysis, you have a shitload of things like where enemies are, their patrol routes, what power you want to use, how to use the power, a plan B in case things go south, where items are, and where the objective is. If you misjudge one of them, your plan falls into pieces and usually ends up with you either rushing as a last stand or huddling somewhere with cloak on until the enemies pass.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LvK posted:

Also, there was ABSOLUTELY no rhyme or reason to where secrets were placed. I don't mean that there were no visual indicators, I mean that there were no rules besides "press on every single wall"

It helps to be aware of where the walls are located in space and how much volume rooms and architectural features occupy. A secret can only exist where there is space for one.

closeted republican posted:

I think it's because there's a lot more you need to take into account when playing a modern game than with classics. Games like Doom, Wolf3D, Serious Sam, and Quake look intimidating at first, but they're not that hard because the only thing you need to worry about are taking out the enemy horde and making sure you have enough ammo to take them out. There are a few environmental hazards to mix things up, but they're usually really easy to avoid. With something like Call of Duty, you not only need to keep the amount of enemies coming in check, you also need to plan a route, find a safe spot, be ready to defend the safe spot if someone tries to rush you, make sure you're have a decent automatic gun that has a fresh magazine, and check that your two weapons combined can deal with enemies at any range in case of something like an RPG guy suddenly appearing from a distance. There are a lot of non-enemy-related factors that can gently caress you up, which means you have more chances to die. With the classics, the only non-enemy factors you have to deal with in combat is "do I have enough ammo to deal with the enemies" and "I should avoid the environmental hazards nearby".

In Crysis, you have a shitload of things like where enemies are, their patrol routes, what power you want to use, how to use the power, a plan B in case things go south, where items are, and where the objective is. If you misjudge one of them, your plan falls into pieces and usually ends up with you either rushing as a last stand or huddling somewhere with cloak on until the enemies pass.

True, and I think the graphics also help. Paradoxically, as graphical fidelity improves it seems to get harder and harder to actually see anything. If an SS in Wolfenstein is preparing to fire I can spot his attack animation instantly and take cover before he opens up. The Norks in Crysis might be extravagantly modeled and detailed but in the heat of combat they're vaguely humanoid blobs barely distinguishable from the cluttered, busy scenery that I have to track and carefully put a rear aperture over (or in the case of the SCAR, the absolute worst open sights ever).

And speaking of Wolfenstein, I recently ported Brian Rowan's amazing Wolfenstein 3D TC Project Totengraeber to ECWolf so you don't have to put up with lovely controls anymore!
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=6763&sid=bf7263800a04f9840346a30a4ec0f517

You should play Project Totengraeber because it is awesome. It's 13 years old and still as fresh as the day it came out. With 48 levels and no episode breaks, though, it can get a bit repetitive towards the end due to its sheer length.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 15, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

True, and I think the graphics also help. Paradoxically, as graphical fidelity improves it seems to get harder and harder to actually see anything. If an SS in Wolfenstein is preparing to fire I can spot his attack animation instantly and take cover before he opens up. The Norks in Crysis might be extravagantly modeled and detailed but in the heat of combat they're vaguely humanoid blobs barely distinguishable from the cluttered, busy scenery that I have to track and carefully put a rear aperture over (or in the case of the SCAR, the absolute worst open sights ever).

I think this has to do with putting too much effort into making the game look pretty versus making the game look readable. While it's an old example, the graphics in Team Fortress 2 are carefully and methodically designed to inform the player where they are, where they're heading, what team that person in front of them is, what class they are, what weapon they're using, and what status effects (fire/peejar/bleeding/milk/whatever) they're under. The Left 4 Dead games also do this quite well, while maintaining a realistic style. An even older example is Half-Life 2, where the game's realistic art direction doesn't stop the enemies from being distinct from both the environments and their peers.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Not oldschool, but I've been playing a lot of Borderlands 2 lately after getting it as a Steam gift, and half of the times I get shot are because I didn't notice the neat-looking gunman blending in with the fantastically rendered pile of industrial ruin, so I kind of have to agree on the graphics point.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I hear that if you stand perfectly still in UT3, nobody will ever know you're there.

And not just because nobody else is playing the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Counterpoint: Why the gently caress are you standing still in an Unreal Tournament game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just played a mod for Half-Life called Half-Life: Before.

Apparently this mod is supposed to be a fanmade prequel. So I guess that explains why a somewhat small white Nihilanth with a Barnacle for a mouth ate an orange crystal and chased me around a cargo hold until it exploded when I shot it with a revolver. I can totally see how this got through greenlight, we couldn't possibly not have it on Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Counterpoint: Why the gently caress are you standing still in an Unreal Tournament game?

I ought to slap you right in the mouth for suggesting I'd play UT3.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

It helps to be aware of where the walls are located in space and how much volume rooms and architectural features occupy. A secret can only exist where there is space for one.

I agree. You can find a good amount of secrets just by doing that and checking any walls that are either between objects or something like the only image of Hitler in a room. You won't find all of the secrets just by doing them, but you'll have a few good-sized ammo and health reserves just in case things go to hell. That's a major help, especially in harder difficulties.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I miss how gloriously overpowered UT's sniper rifle was (that and it's pretty much the same gun that Duke Togo uses :golgo:) UT2k4's was horribly limp in comparison, and I never used UT3's much so it looked beefy enough but probably didn't match that look.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

I miss how gloriously overpowered UT's sniper rifle was (that and it's pretty much the same gun that Duke Togo uses :golgo:) UT2k4's was horribly limp in comparison, and I never used UT3's much so it looked beefy enough but probably didn't match that look.

The UT3 one has a really wimpy firing sound, which takes away part of the fun of using it. Even UT2k4's weird sound is better than it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think this has to do with putting too much effort into making the game look pretty versus making the game look readable. While it's an old example, the graphics in Team Fortress 2 are carefully and methodically designed to inform the player where they are, where they're heading, what team that person in front of them is, what class they are, what weapon they're using, and what status effects (fire/peejar/bleeding/milk/whatever) they're under. The Left 4 Dead games also do this quite well, while maintaining a realistic style. An even older example is Half-Life 2, where the game's realistic art direction doesn't stop the enemies from being distinct from both the environments and their peers.

There's also that a lot of the enemies in Crysis in particular are supposed to be wearing things that blend into the background/surroundings, and this is meant to be part of the gameplay.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

My favorite part of UT was the Redeemer. I didn't give a poo poo about placing on the scoreboard as long as I could chase someone around a map with a guided nuke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AE-35 Unit posted:

My favorite part of UT was the Redeemer. I didn't give a poo poo about placing on the scoreboard as long as I could chase someone around a map with a guided nuke.

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in my youth playing the PS2 port of UT (hey, it let us do splitscreen 4 player, I didn't have 4 computers at my parents house)

And all we ever did was play that one map where the redeemer spawns between those two big cardboard boxes in the middle of the map, gently caress I forget the name.

We played that map 24/7 and played our own game type: King of the Redeemer.
Here's how you play:

Everybody camps the redeemer
Somebody gets the redeemer
He shoots the redeemer, and everybody dies

Rinse, repeat.

It never gets old. Oh man, I remember once I got killed twice by the same redeemer shot. He hit me with it point blank, and then I managed to respawn in time for the blast radius to hit me a second time. Amazing. :allears:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

AE-35 Unit posted:

Your favorite part about the game was a silly gimmick weapon? You didn't care about anything else? You know, it was an actual game, too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
I know it's only somewhat tangentially related to the theme of this thread, but I'm watching the old Doom movie again, and it surprisingly isn't as terrible as I thought it was.

It's certainly better than DooM 3.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

It's called "Doom" not "DooM"

If you really wanted to write Doom in a strange way, write it DOOM like they did in the release docs.

http://www.rome.ro/lee_killough/history/doompr3.shtml

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

superh posted:

It's called "Doom" not "DooM"

If you really wanted to write Doom in a strange way, write it DOOM like they did in the release docs.

http://www.rome.ro/lee_killough/history/doompr3.shtml

quote:

An Open Game

When our last hit, WOLFENSTEIN 3D was released the public
responded with an almost immediate deluge of home-brewed
utilities; map editors, sound editors, trainers, etc. All
without any help on file formats or game layout from Id
Software. DOOM will be release as an OPEN GAME. We will
provide file formats and technical notes for anyone who wants
them. People will be able to easily write and share anything
from their own map editors to communications and network
drivers.

DOOM will be available in the third quarter of 1993.

This is one of the biggest changes in modern gaming.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What do you guys think is the most ridiculous weapon in an FPS game? The cannon from Serious Sam is pretty crazy. It's a literal cannon, like the ones on old pirate ships, and it fires uranium filled cannonballs. You pretty much can go bowling with this weapon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An Enormous Boner posted:

Your favorite part about the game was a silly gimmick weapon? You didn't care about anything else? You know, it was an actual game, too.

Were you never young?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Starhawk64 posted:

What do you guys think is the most ridiculous weapon in an FPS game? The cannon from Serious Sam is pretty crazy. It's a literal cannon, like the ones on old pirate ships, and it fires uranium filled cannonballs. You pretty much can go bowling with this weapon.

Sam shouts "Let's go bowling!" at one point upon discovering one.

The most ridiculous weapon bar none is the Killstar from Blood Dragon, but I don't know what I'd pick for most ridiculous weapon in a game meant to be taken seriously.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Starhawk64 posted:

Cerebal Bore in Turok was out of whack for its time. There's also the snarks in Half Life, and the antlion pheremones in Half Life 2. I will always have a fondness for those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Starhawk64 posted:

I take it you've never played the first two Turok games? :chord: