Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I just saw a mock draft on nfl.com that has Dallas taking Louisville FS Calvin Pryon at 17.

Suggested sources for a analysis of this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Behold, Kiper Mock 1.0. Bridgewater goes 8th to the Vikings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10283026/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-unveils-first-mock-draft

code:
1. Johnny Manziel		Houston Texans (2-14)
2. Jake Matthews		St. Louis Rams (7-9) (From WAS)
3. Jadeveon Clowney 		Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)
4. Blake Bortles		Cleveland Browns (4-12)
5. Sammy Watkins		Oakland Raiders (4-12)
6. Anthony Barr			Atlanta Falcons (4-12)
7. Khalil Mack			Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
8. Teddy Bridgewater 		Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)
9. Greg Robinson 		Buffalo Bills (6-10)
10. Justin Gilbert		Detroit Lions (7-9)
11. Taylor Lewan		Tennessee Titans (7-9)
12. C.J. Mosley			New York Giants (7-9)
13. Mike Evans			St. Louis Rams (7-9)
14. Timmy Jernigan		Chicago Bears (8-8)
15. Louis Nix III		Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
16. Eric Ebron 			Baltimore Ravens (8-8)^
17. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 		Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
18. Marqise Lee 		New York Jets (8-8)
19. Cyrus Kouandjio 		Miami Dolphins (8-8)
20. Zack Martin			Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
21. Calvin Pryor 		Green Bay Packers (8-7-1)
22. Kelvin Benjamin 		Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)
23. Stephon Tuitt 		Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)
24. Darqueze Dennard 		Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)
25. Bradley Roby 		San Diego Chargers (9-7)
26. Carlos Hyde 		Cleveland Browns (4-12) (From IND)
27. Antonio Richardson 		New Orleans Saints (11-5)
28. Brandin Cooks 		Carolina Panthers (12-4)
29. Jace Amaro 			New England Patriots (12-4)
30. Odell Beckham Jr. 		San Francisco 49ers (12-4)
31. Scott Crichton 		Denver Broncos (13-3)
32. Allen Robinson 		Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
e: Analysis broke the table.

quote:

1. Johnny Manziel Houston Texans (2-14)
Analysis: I spoke to a number of high-ranking NFL evaluators this week, and this is the one QB anyone felt certain was a top-5 pick. So consider this an early bet, with one major caveat: Bill O'Brien just arrived, is still putting his staff together, knows a good QB when he sees one, and hasn't had enough time (if any) to study the draft class. But we know quarterback is a major need here. O'Brien likes a QB with presence, a leader and a guy who will out-prepare the competition. And while Manziel has gotten his share of bad press, he's a dynamic talent, and I feel he can lead at the next level; I'm not alone in that opinion. While Manziel is currently ranked No. 11 on my Big Board, this reflects the draft.

Manziel doesn't fit the old prototypes of a QB drafted No. 1, and I have concerns about how well he can protect himself given his smaller frame, but he is a magician on the field, and is made for the current NFL. This league protects and welcomes QBs who can improvise, run and make plays beyond the playbook. It's early, but Manziel is a special player and has the draft process to prove it further.

2. Jake Matthews St. Louis Rams (7-9) (From WAS)
Analysis: Rams general manager Les Snead has already said that he'll take calls on this draft slot, which makes plenty of sense given the fact that the three teams drafting directly after St. Louis need a quarterback. So if you want a certain QB, you might be trying to work out a deal with the Rams to assure you get him. That said, I can't project a trade, and Matthews would be a tremendous fit for the Rams, who need to bring in an upgrade at left tackle this offseason given the uncertainty regarding Jake Long's health. Matthews has proved capable of dominating on both the left and right side, in fact, and comes with more assurances in that regard than the tackles drafted at the top of the board last season. At tackle, I also think Greg Robinson could compete with Matthews to be the first one taken, and I don't think it's out of the question that St. Louis takes a QB or top defensive lineman.

3. Jadeveon Clowney Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)
Analysis: There is no question that the Jags need a QB. It is questionable whether they will take one at this draft slot unless they believe that QB will make them better at that position in 2014. So consider this an early bet on a front office that will look to hit what is still a major need (the pass rush) by drafting the best available player in the draft. Clowney got questioned on his motor in his final college season, but that has more to do with stats than the tape. And any evaluator who saw a tentative player could also imagine what Clowney had on the line. Clowney is physically prepared to come in and make a major impact, and I think there's a good chance the Jags draft for upside and angle for a QB later. Don't forget: Free agency and trades can still shift the QB market in the draft. Think of Kansas City last year at this time.

As well, I recall when the Texans took Mario Williams at a time when QB was a question, and their GM told us it wasn't just about needing a QB, it was about the QBs they had to beat. Peyton Manning was in the division. Indy still has a good QB the Jags have to face.

4. Blake Bortles Cleveland Browns (4-12)
Analysis: While there's plenty of debate in NFL circles regarding which QB in this class has the most upside in terms of overall ability, from a physical standpoint Bortles is at the top of the list. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, with not elite but good arm strength, and the ability to move both in the pocket and to make plays down the field as a runner, he has a chance to add value and eliminate negative plays with his mobility as he develops as a passer. It goes without saying that Cleveland will look to address its QB situation through the draft or via a trade, and this is potentially a good fit for Bortles. He's still somewhat limited as a progression passer and struggles with ball placement, and can also be rigid with his mechanics, but the presence of Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron gives any new QB here matchup threats to exploit. Cleveland is, for the first time in a while, a really attractive environment for a young QB to grow and succeed.

5. Sammy Watkins Oakland Raiders (4-12)
Analysis: I count Oakland among the teams that could use a talent upgrade at QB, but the Raiders need to take really good football players who can help the team right away -- and I believe their front office knows it. Watkins qualifies as an experienced and explosive combination of a pass-catcher and dynamic runner after the catch. And while he lacks elite size for the position, Watkins brings an elite level of explosiveness before and after the catch and is a significant threat and can beat defenses over the top. Unless you count a healthy Darren McFadden (who is an unrestricted free agent this offseason), Oakland has lacked a player who is a constant threat to create big plays. Watkins can fill that void.

6. Anthony Barr Atlanta Falcons (4-12)
Analysis: Three years ago the Broncos drafted Von Miller, a move that caused many to ask whether Miller would fit in John Fox's scheme. Fox was known as a 4-3 guy, and Miller seemed well-equipped physically to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. I could hear some saying the same about this pick, but (A) great players make great systems more often than the other way around, so don't get too caught up in the whole 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing, and (B) the Falcons really need a pass-rusher. Barr gives them that, as an explosive matchup problem on the edge who does more than disrupt the passing game. And he can certainly add weight.

7. Khalil Mack Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
Analysis: The Bucs are another team that must create more pressure to take advantage of the fact that they have a good defensive core in place to stop the run and make plays in the secondary. Mack gives Tampa a three-down linebacker who can rush the quarterback and drop and make plays in space. He could be plugged in across the formation from Lavonte David and won't need to come off the field. This could be a really good defense in 2014 for Lovie Smith.

8. Teddy Bridgewater Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)
Analysis: In terms of his ability as a passer, Bridgewater could go higher. But while I currently have him rated as the top QB on my Big Board, Bridgewater will need to prove to teams that he can command an NFL huddle and be the face of a franchise. I think he has the necessary physical tools to succeed, and shows an advanced approach with his footwork, anticipation, pre-snap command and ability to improvise. He's a very good value here for a team with a huge need at the position. Whether he can start right away is a question we'll need more time to answer.

9. Greg Robinson Buffalo Bills (6-10)
Analysis: Cordy Glenn has been an adequate and at times above-average NFL left tackle, but the Bills definitely need a right tackle. That could be Robinson as a rookie, or he could come in and Glenn could move to the right side. Robinson has the physical tools and proven level of performance against SEC competition of a potential star at the next level, and the Bills must protect the investment they have in EJ Manuel, who has had issues staying healthy.

10. Justin Gilbert Detroit Lions (7-9)
Analysis: With continued improvement from Ezekiel Ansah to go with the dominance of the interior of that defensive line, the Lions could create a ton of pressure on opposing QBs next season. The problem is if they can't do a better job of covering, it might not make a difference. Gilbert would help the cause coming off a season where you could argue that no cornerback in college football performed better. He has the size to compete with bigger wide receivers and the agility and speed to run with anybody. He also brings strong return skills.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well that certainly broke the tables

e: ah you fixed it

quote:

In terms of his ability as a passer, Bridgewater could go higher. But while I currently have him rated as the top QB on my Big Board, Bridgewater will need to prove to teams that he can command an NFL huddle and be the face of a franchise.

What?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DangerKat posted:

Allen took a big step back this year and is not on the level of Watt. He's also 31 years old to Watt's 24 and a free agent.

Yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if Allen is back. Vikings should find someone to take Peterson and just start the full rebuild they need

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I have no idea who Timmy Jernigan is so yeah that sounds like an Emery 1st rounder.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Another DE for KC! gently caress you Kiper.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

I just saw a mock draft on nfl.com that has Dallas taking Louisville FS Calvin Pryon at 17.

I don't like Pryor at all. I really don't. Someone's going to take the poison pill on him while all these analysts will be talking him up into the top 15. It'd be a real boneheaded decision to take him before the third but it looks like he's already well aboard the hype train.

Total head hunter, total work out warrior, little to no game sense, constant wrong angles, definitely had his play bolstered by Louisville's d-line.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DupaDupa posted:

I have no idea who Timmy Jernigan is so yeah that sounds like an Emery 1st rounder.

He was arguably the best player for the National Championship winner's defense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seriously, someone explain to me what this even means

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

He's saying that Teddy is an aspy who can't get players to listen to him because no one respects him or something stupid like that because Kiper is a hack

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Ozu posted:

Behold, Kiper Mock 1.0. Bridgewater goes 8th to the Vikings.

Bridgewater going to the Vikings at 8 would be an absolute best case scenario. I don't think it will happen, but I would be ecstatic if it did. For guys familiar with Zimmer and the Bengals, what kind of players does he target in terms of physical attributes or personality?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

He's saying that Teddy is an aspy who can't get players to listen to him because no one respects him or something stupid like that because Kiper is a hack

My favorite part of that mock is him saying that BOB values guys who put a lot of work into preparation... which is why he goes Manziel over Bridgewater

Svelte Godzilla
Mar 9, 2013

Intruder posted:

My guess is that shot of Manziel flipping out at Evans on the sideline in their bowl game made draft guys go all starry-eyed about his ~LEADERSHIP~ and Teddy hasn't done that?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

My favorite part of that mock is him saying that BOB values guys who put a lot of work into preparation... which is why he goes Manziel over Bridgewater

Yeah having a wrong mock doesn't bother me because this is still way too early in the game but Kiper just says bold faced lies with little to no logical backup or reasoning in his player evaluations.

Btw this is my annual rant towards Kiper and I'm due 6 more before the draft happens.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
One time I was close enough to Kiper that I could have yelled something very rude but he already looked depressed so I was quiet. I'm benevolent like that.

Also Primebutt took a picture of me with Kiper right behind me but the oil sheen of his hair reflected the flash and the picture turned out like poo poo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Some WR metrics courtesy of Rotoworld. I really like Marqise Lee and that drop rate loving terrifies me.

Peshek: Top 4 WR Metrics
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

That'd be a great pick if the theme of the draft was "let's make Rasczak angry"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

Bridgewater going to the Vikings at 8 would be an absolute best case scenario. I don't think it will happen, but I would be ecstatic if it did. For guys familiar with Zimmer and the Bengals, what kind of players does he target in terms of physical attributes or personality?

I don't know if there is a general book on the Bengals for defensive personnel or not. I think they have favored big tall secondary players over smaller, more agile guys. Like George IIoka, Reggie Nelson, and Dre Kirkpatrick are all big dudes. They traded for Taylor Mays is that is any indication, who was pretty good this year before he got hurt.

Some of that could be Marvin picking players as well.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Goetta posted:

I don't know if there is a general book on the Bengals for defensive personnel or not. I think they have favored big tall secondary players over smaller, more agile guys. Like George IIoka, Reggie Nelson, and Dre Kirkpatrick are all big dudes. They traded for Taylor Mays is that is any indication, who was pretty good this year before he got hurt.

Some of that could be Marvin picking players as well.

Xavier Rhodes and Chris Cook would fit that mold, though I think that Cook is gone regardless due to health and previous off the field issues. Given that he has a reputation for getting the most of DBs, I'm hoping that he'll be able to get the secondary back into shape.

What about linebackers? It seems like he likes bigger who may like ideal 40 times that you'd expect to be plugged into a 3-4, but they seem to do well in his scheme. I was really surprised to see James Harrison playing in a 4-3, though based on his stats it doesn't look like he played much.

It is true that there could be disconnect between what Zimmer chooses to run in Minnesota and what Lewis wanted to run in Cincy. I do like that he seems to get the most of players on defense, especially in the secondary, which has been a longstanding problem in Minnesota.

Edit: Are there any defensive players towards the top of the draft like Barr or Mack that you think would be good fits for Zimmer?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Oh hey Kiper's first mock.
Here is his first mock for 2013 for comparison.

Mocks r dumb

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

Xavier Rhodes and Chris Cook would fit that mold, though I think that Cook is gone regardless due to health and previous off the field issues. Given that he has a reputation for getting the most of DBs, I'm hoping that he'll be able to get the secondary back into shape.

What about linebackers? It seems like he likes bigger who may like ideal 40 times that you'd expect to be plugged into a 3-4, but they seem to do well in his scheme. I was really surprised to see James Harrison playing in a 4-3, though based on his stats it doesn't look like he played much.

It is true that there could be disconnect between what Zimmer chooses to run in Minnesota and what Lewis wanted to run in Cincy. I do like that he seems to get the most of players on defense, especially in the secondary, which has been a longstanding problem in Minnesota.

Edit: Are there any defensive players towards the top of the draft like Barr or Mack that you think would be good fits for Zimmer?

Zimmer likes to play more in a Nickel defense than a straight 4-3 most times, which is why the third CB (Pacman) usually had a lot more snaps than James Harrison. Some of that might be personnel in that the Bengals have a D-Line full of players who can both pass rush and defend the run, especially Atkins and Dunlap. Having big safeties plays into this as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It dawns on me that while most people would find the story of Bridgewater trying to quit football so he could work to help pay for his mother's cancer treatments touching, many in the sporting community will turn it into "DOES TEDDY BRIDGEWATER LOVE FOOTBALL ENOUGH?!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

It honestly reeks of "I don't think they have a genuine smile" or some poo poo. Just vague poo poo that only gets attributed to non-white QBs. Like, why doesn't Manziel have to prove that? He's the one I'd be concerned about interviewing poorly.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Manziel having more leadership than Bridgewater sort of reeks of Black Quarterback but I don't think Kiper is one of those guys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Goetta posted:

Manziel having more leadership than Bridgewater sort of reeks of Black Quarterback but I don't think Kiper is one of those guys.

Black QBs aren't good leaders? I didn't know that was an active football stereotype. I thought it was more Kiper having the memory span of a gnat because Manziel's last game was him hopping around cheering everyone on during the bowl game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Black QBs aren't good leaders? I didn't know that was an active football stereotype.
I think it's more that white QBs are just assumed to be natural leaders and black QBs have to somehow prove it. See: any discussion about McNabb vs his backup QB in Philadelphia over his entire career.

And there were definitely questions about Cam being a leader when he was drafted. And those questions still exist because people are dumb.

But all Kiper does is parrot the dumb poo poo that's fed to him, including obvious smokescreens. Plus we haven't even been through the all-star practices and combine and pro days and etc. So I don't think that's what's happening here.

I still think Manziel's history and personality are going to get talked about over the length of this process. We're just in the glow of the aftermath of that bowl game still, and it hasn't faded yet.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 15, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Goetta posted:

Yes, let's attribute a bad mock draft to racism because that's a productive thing to do.

Quest For Glory II posted:

And there were definitely questions about Cam being a leader when he was drafted. And those questions still exist because people are dumb.

Cam Newton was expelled from Florida for robbing someone's dormitory and was embroiled in pre-draft allegations about his father receiving money for his recruitment. It's not racist for teams to look into that.

Now, that poo poo that Jerry Richardson said about Cam after he was drafted, that was racist.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 15, 2014

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Manziel won't be Ryan Leaf, but he's not going to be Peyton Manning either. Why does ESPN still pretend there's a science to whether or not these guys are going to be failures?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Cam Newton was expelled from Florida for robbing someone's dormitory and was embroiled in pre-draft allegations about his father receiving money for his recruitment. It's not racist for teams to look into that.
But I'm talking about mock drafts and the 'genuine smile' crack was in reference to one writer who said this about Cam Newton in his scouting report:

quote:

"Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.
But nobody is saying that about Manziel right now because wow did you see that bowl game he jumped into a pile of people stupidly for no reason before throwing a touchdown!! He's a magician! How does magician translate to the NFL?? I don't know did you see that touchdown! Wow!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 15, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

But we are talking about mock drafts and the 'genuine smile' crack was in reference to one writer who said this about Cam Newton in his scouting report:

Wasn't the guy that did that mock draft basically immediately disregarded as a professional troll who had a reputation for that kind of poo poo? That's hardly the kind of ingrained racism people here seem to project with regard to black QB prospects.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Has tiny ears, might not listen to coaching.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if Allen is back. Vikings should find someone to take Peterson and just start the full rebuild they need

You are a crazy person. The Vikings are not going to get any kind of reasonable return necessary to jump start a full rebuild trading Peterson with his contract. Not to mention that his presence would be a benefit to developing a QB and the cap is in a good place to allow for that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Professor Funk posted:

Wasn't the guy that did that mock draft basically immediately disregarded as a professional troll who had a reputation for that kind of poo poo? That's hardly the kind of ingrained racism people here seem to project with regard to black QB prospects.

That was actually the first Nolan Nawrocki black quarterback hit piece, he's since run similar hits on RG3 and Geno Smith.

Kiper generally does not fall into that particular trap but his Bridgewater blurb is generic garbage to begin with. His ranking of Bridgewater third is starting to look consensusish, though consensus four months out means little.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

That was actually the first Nolan Nawrocki black quarterback hit piece, he's since run similar hits on RG3 and Geno Smith.

Kiper generally does not fall into that particular trap but his Bridgewater blurb is generic garbage to begin with. His ranking of Bridgewater third is starting to look consensusish, though.

Ah ok, so I had the order reversed. In any case, I still think it's silly to cry racism when a popular draft "expert" ranks a highly touted black QB five slots below where some people think he should be. It's just typical Mel Kiper hackery and he's been peddling it about prospects of all races for longer than I can remember.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elotana posted:

I meant Boyd's not a running QB, genius. He's a scrambling QB who sometimes runs. There's literally no reason to bring up Cam in a discussion about Boyd's merits as a QB, and Cam-level athleticism isn't required to be "elusive" at the pro level. People also keep bringing up accuracy as an issue without backing it up; based on what I've seen (which admittedly is only a few games) Boyd is probably second to Manziel when it comes to throwing downfield while scrambling.

Boyd had a 48 yard read option TD in the orange bowl. Clemson most definitely used him on designed runs and he was pretty effective at it. He doesn't have Cam's size, but he's pretty drat athletic.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DangerKat posted:

You are a crazy person. The Vikings are not going to get any kind of reasonable return necessary to jump start a full rebuild trading Peterson with his contract. Not to mention that his presence would be a benefit to developing a QB and the cap is in a good place to allow for that.

Peterson isn't going anywhere. Way too important to the team, both on the field and in terms of marketing and the return on him wouldn't be what you'd expect due to contract, age, and position.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Aniki posted:

He likes his defensive players strong as poo poo. This often means they aren't particularly rangy/athletic, but they're a fuckton of strength. He was gifted a player in the draft last year and he took Margus Hunt. He also wanted James Harrison (who as you mentioned, very rarely used). Our linebackers aren't bad but outside of Emmanuel Lamur (IR'd last year, ex-safety) none are particularly strong in coverage.

Personality wise, he likes them like Marvin did: quiet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Butt Stuff posted:

Manziel won't be Ryan Leaf, but he's not going to be Peyton Manning either. Why does ESPN still pretend there's a science to whether or not these guys are going to be failures?

Because viewers expect them to not treat it like a crap shoot. You can't knock guys like Kiper for getting predictions wrong, but you can't praise them when they get it right either. I think anyone with a little bit of football experience and some time on their hands can successfully evaluate a prospect. It's not rocket science. I just don't think anything Kiper or McShay does is extraordinary compared to the hundreds of draft websites out there, and I certainly don't think they deserve the spotlight or their pay scale either.

But, that's sports media. Kiper and McShay are faces that fill a niche.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

He likes his defensive players strong as poo poo. This often means they aren't particularly rangy/athletic, but they're a fuckton of strength. He was gifted a player in the draft last year and he took Margus Hunt. He also wanted James Harrison (who as you mentioned, very rarely used). Our linebackers aren't bad but outside of Emmanuel Lamur (IR'd last year, ex-safety) none are particularly strong in coverage.

Hunt barely saw any snaps this year from what I can tell and I haven't really read much about him outside of what I saw pre-draft. Did he not show much of anything during the season or did he sit a lot because he's still raw as all hell? I was really enamored with the idea of the Jets taking him should he fall to them at 39 (the Geno pick) last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Professor Funk posted:

Hunt barely saw any snaps this year from what I can tell and I haven't really read much about him outside of what I saw pre-draft. Did he not show much of anything during the season or did he sit a lot because he's still raw as all hell? I was really enamored with the idea of the Jets taking him should he fall to them at 39 (the Geno pick) last year.

They had Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap, that's probably why. Also Hard Knocks made it very clear that Hunt was talented but still a work in progress.

It's really freaking hard to get significant playing time as a DE if there are two legitimate starters ahead of you, no matter how talented you are.

• Locked thread