Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Levantine posted:

Bravely Default's demo completely won me over after a bit of a rough start and it feels so much like old Final Fantasy it hurts. FFXIV has a similar feel to it as well. Square Enix games scratching that itch with no apologies? It's the 1990's all over again.

I wonder how much XIV: A Realm Reborn was tailored to Western fans of Final Fantasy, compared to the XIII series which seems to have only the Japanese in mind. I assume MMO's are much more popular in western countries and places like South Korea than in Japan, so they'd have to ensure that the gameplay and content is designed for these other cultures.

If anything, I hope SE learns from the success of A Realm Reborn around the world, and the failure of Lightning Returns in the country it was designed for, and that they shouldn't let Toriyama design games any more. Going overboard with the fetish clothing and garbage writing made it one of the worst-selling main entries in the series, while the guy who listened to everyone's feedback about XIV, and had a keen interest in other MMO's on the market, managed to make a highly successful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno, Bravely Default to me is the most FF game to come out in a while. The problem I had with the models is that the drawn art for the game looks AWESOME then the chibi poo poo models look kind of bad. Like if the whole game looked like the cover art that would be amazing.

It's good looking otherwise though.

Yeah even the game is like self-conscious about its presentation, because if you stand still in town in the demo they pull out a grandiose zoom to show off the (very pretty) city design. I only played the demo very briefly and that was probably my favorite part about the game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, I thought so too. Take this box art for instance.

Lovingly shaded butt, but a face so flat that they didn't even bother with a nose.

And then you get in the game and they're all toddlers with little stumpy feet and arms. I'm in these games because my preference for good RPG overrides my revulsion for the extreme trends of anime esthetic, but this trend lately of doing away with feet and/or hands I hope doesn't stick around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

5er posted:

I'm in these games because my preference for good RPG overrides my revulsion for the extreme trends of anime esthetic, but this trend lately of doing away with feet and/or hands I hope doesn't stick around.

They're hard to draw so I assume thats the reasoning. I too hope the reign of pig feet people ends soon because no matter how much I enjoy the game my brain keeps going "WHERE ARE YOUR FEET?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder how much XIV: A Realm Reborn was tailored to Western fans of Final Fantasy, compared to the XIII series which seems to have only the Japanese in mind. I assume MMO's are much more popular in western countries and places like South Korea than in Japan, so they'd have to ensure that the gameplay and content is designed for these other cultures.

If anything, I hope SE learns from the success of A Realm Reborn around the world, and the failure of Lightning Returns in the country it was designed for, and that they shouldn't let Toriyama design games any more. Going overboard with the fetish clothing and garbage writing made it one of the worst-selling main entries in the series, while the guy who listened to everyone's feedback about XIV, and had a keen interest in other MMO's on the market, managed to make a highly successful game.

If they were going to shitcan Toriyama I think they would have done it by now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

They're hard to draw so I assume thats the reasoning. I too hope the reign of pig feet people ends soon because no matter how much I enjoy the game my brain keeps going "WHERE ARE YOUR FEET?"

I think it was the fire emblem devs who talked about this in an interview. They tried more detailed legs and arms and found they look terrible when animated in 3D due to the resolution. The pig feet just look a lot better aesthetics wise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

There's a cheap Rob Liefeld joke in here somewhere, I'm sure of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it was the fire emblem devs who talked about this in an interview. They tried more detailed legs and arms and found they look terrible when animated in 3D due to the resolution. The pig feet just look a lot better aesthetics wise.

Ugh but they really don't. What's wrong with Fox's feet from Smash Bros 64? Those things were like 3 polys, but they still worked as feet. And the 64 rendered at poo poo x rear end resolution.

Looks about a million times better than pig feet. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I thought it had more to do with recreating the SNES sprite aesthetic.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can imagine them needing to use as few polygons as possible on the DS for Final Fantasy III, IV, and 4 Heroes of Light, but I guess they just wanted to keep the same style on the 3DS.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Eh, just throw the extra vowel anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Baron posted:

Are they consistent with that? If so it's a weird but understandable translation change. Esper/Espier are both used. I don't get why they'd go out of their way to change it but still. Otherwise, what the hell S-E.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

No, you see it's all part of the upgrade. Before they were esper, now they're espier. In the remake they'll be espiest.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 15, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

No, you see it's all part of the upgrade. Before they were esper, now they're espier. In the remake they'll be espest.
Obviously it should be esper, espara, espaga. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Obviously it should be esper, espara, espaga. :colbert:

Espr1, Espr2, Espr3. Espr2 is bugged and does nothing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Al Baron posted:

God dammit, now I'm gonna end up playing that port just to see what else the translation changed and/or hunt for more typos. Depending on whether it's an intentional change or a typo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is the port based on a later GBA release or something with extra content or is it just the HD version of the SNES cart on Android?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ImpAtom posted:

Are they consistent with that? If so it's a weird but understandable translation change. Esper/Espier are both used. I don't get why they'd go out of their way to change it but still. Otherwise, what the hell S-E.

Isn't esper supposed to be ESP-er anyways, like the monsters all had ESP powers?

Or maybe they all won ESPN awards :haw:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

Isn't esper supposed to be ESP-er anyways, like the monsters all had ESP powers?

Yeah, Esper is a word that was basically supposed to be ESPer but it's pretty rare to see it written that way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

That would ESPYer and it would be the worst party ever. Nobody should have to consider putting any member of Around the Horn into their party.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Some of the translation changes in the ports/remakes do bug me though, it takes me a second to consider the differences between Curaga and Curaja and there's no point to changing it from Cure 3 and Cure 4 other than pleasing insufferable weaboos.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Except that "Curaga" is a flavor point of the series.

"Cure 3" is just... Cure with number at the end.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

L'cie and fal'cie are also flavor points, still loving dumb though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

Some of the translation changes in the ports/remakes do bug me though, it takes me a second to consider the differences between Curaga and Curaja and there's no point to changing it from Cure 3 and Cure 4 other than pleasing insufferable weaboos.

It's more than it is the term they've been using for nearly 15 years now and they want to remain consistent. They kept the changed names instead of calling Terra Tina or whatever so it isn't like they're going crazy. Every Final Fantasy game (and spinoffs like Bravely Default) have been using roughly the same spell names for over a decade. Doing things like calling it Pearl instead of Holy is kind of meaningless when almost every other Final Fantasy game they can play will be using a different naming scheme.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 15, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No it isn't.

Like, how is it dumb? They're magic spells, not computer programs. "Cure 2" just sounds silly. It only existed because of cartridge size restrictions.

Like, you have to be really stupid to not get that the healing spell you learn much later in the game, with a higher MP cost, is stronger then the one you learned earlier.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that it doesn't particularly add anything meaningful to change the numbers to -ara/-aga/-aja, but at least it isn't Dragon Quest where the "proper translations" of the spells are things like Fizzle that don't give you the slightest loving insight into what they do unless you play a bunch of Dragon Quest and memorize them. Which of these is a single target fireball and which is multitarget? I could've sworn I had a resurrection spell, where d- oh, "Zing".

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I agree that it doesn't particularly add anything meaningful to change the numbers to -ara/-aga/-aja, but at least it isn't Dragon Quest where the "proper translations" of the spells are things like Fizzle that don't give you the slightest loving insight into what they do unless you play a bunch of Dragon Quest and memorize them. Which of these is a single target fireball and which is multitarget? I could've sworn I had a resurrection spell, where d- oh, "Zing".

Actually, 'Fizzle' isn't the proper translation either. (According to the DQ wiki it's "Mahotoon") And the only gripe I had is 'Fizzle' and 'Frizzle' sound too much a like, the spells are pretty easy to remember. 'Sizz?' 'Evac?' 'Midheal?' I think we all know what those do.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Esperagus.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

No thanks, I already ate. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

Actually, 'Fizzle' isn't the proper translation either. (According to the DQ wiki it's "Mahotoon") And the only gripe I had is 'Fizzle' and 'Frizzle' sound too much a like, the spells are pretty easy to remember. 'Sizz?' 'Evac?' 'Midheal?' I think we all know what those do.

Well, it is and isn't a translation. The Dragon Quest spell names are all onomatopoeia but those obviously don't translate 1-for-1 to English so they chose to convey the intent instead of the literal translation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

At least it ain't Atlus spells. It took me many game before getting used to the Kaja spells alone.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Camel Pimp posted:

"Sizz"? I assume that's short for "sizzle," as in a fire spell? So they can fit "fizzle" and "frizzle," but they just called this other spell "sizz"? This sounds like a terribly annoying naming scheme here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

"Sizz"? I assume that's short for "sizzle," as in a fire spell? So they can fit "fizzle" and "frizzle," but they just called this other spell "sizz"? This sounds like a terribly annoying naming scheme here.

Sizzle is the tier 2 fire spell. It goes Sizz -> Sizzle -> Kasizz -> Kasizzle. Frizzle is also a tier 2 spell. So you get Frizz -> Frizzle -> Kafrizz -> Kafrizzle. Most if not all offensive spells follow the (spell)-> (spell)le -> Ka(spell) -> Ka(spell)le naming scheme. Same as Fire -> Fira -> Firaga -> Firaja

Fizzle is a debuff spell and all have fairly easy to remember names. Fizzle, Sap, Snooze, Blunt, Fuddle, ect. You can probably guess that most do just by the name.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 15, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Espergers

Dr Pepper posted:

No it isn't.

Like, how is it dumb? They're magic spells, not computer programs. "Cure 2" just sounds silly. It only existed because of cartridge size restrictions.

Like, you have to be really stupid to not get that the healing spell you learn much later in the game, with a higher MP cost, is stronger then the one you learned earlier.

"Curaga" just sounds silly. What does that even mean?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 15, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Clearly they need to go back to Dragon Warrior I's HURT and HEAL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sizzle is the tier 2 fire spell. It goes Sizz -> Sizzle -> Kasizzle. Frizzle is also a tier 2 spell.
This is my favorite informative post ever.

But yeah, as far as JRPG spell names go, Final Fantasy is far and away the most intuitive. Regular Spell Name, -ra, -ga, -ja. Super easy to remember. Then there's Shin Megami Tensei, where there's sort of a pattern but not really, then there's Dragon Quest, where the spell names are onomatopoeia that may or may not have anything to do with the spell (is 'zing' really the sound of someone coming back to life?)

And then there's The World Ends With You, where there's legitimately a series of spells called Gimme Dat Sheep, Gimme Dat Hippo, and Gimme Dat Elephant.

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

The word "Curaga" distinctly means "to take charge" or "to take responsibility" or "manage" in Latin.

In several Eastern European languages, including Russian, Ukrainian, and Lithuanian, the word curaga can be translated as "dried apricots."

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 15, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't matter what it means, aga's just there to denote a certain tier of spells. It's cure + (3rd tier).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

And then there's The World Ends With You, where there's legitimately a series of spells called Gimme Dat Sheep, Gimme Dat Hippo, and Gimme Dat Elephant.

And once again we arrive at the Golden Truth; TWEWY is the best jRPG.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

It doesn't matter what it means, aga's just there to denote a certain tier of spells. It's cure + (3rd tier).

So why not just Cure 3? Why does Cure 3 sound silly but Curaga doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

So why not just Cure 3? Why does Cure 3 sound silly but Curaga doesn't?

They both sound silly, but Curaga at least sounds silly in a Fantasy kind of silly. Cure 3 sounds like a terrible named function or some computer program.

Honestly since FF started off as some weird D&D homage obviously they should be Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Severe Wounds and Cure Critical Wounds.