Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was just thinking that a "species" mod that lets you play a horrible, deranged, traumatized clown with a "ship" that is actually a twisted chunk of space station wreckage with a rocket bolted to one end would be perfect.

It's the pax. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

RickVoid posted:

Played with your re-balance patch last night for about an hour. etc
Awesome! Yeah that sounds more-or-less intended (damage and energy are tied, so a really low-damage weapon has almost no energy drain); Ranged is supposed to be safer but slow, or as a weak opening salvo, and melee is a higher-risk higher-reward affair that puts you in the danger zone in return for meaty damage.

Keep the feedback coming, guys :buddy:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was just thinking that a "species" mod that lets you play a horrible, deranged, traumatized clown with a "ship" that is actually a twisted chunk of space station wreckage with a rocket bolted to one end would be perfect. Even better if literally all of the examine dialogue is just variations on "HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK," the tortured laughter of a madman, or eternal horrible screaming.

Instead of a weapon you start with a vuvuzela and a banana.

Only if you put in a mod that adds butt-bots as well

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dog kisser posted:

- A race of clowns with multicolored wigs and customizable noses (with a really, really tiny ship)

So basically, the best movie ever?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was just thinking that a "species" mod that lets you play a horrible, deranged, traumatized clown with a "ship" that is actually a twisted chunk of space station wreckage with a rocket bolted to one end would be perfect. Even better if literally all of the examine dialogue is just variations on "HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK," the tortured laughter of a madman, or eternal horrible screaming.

Instead of a weapon you start with a vuvuzela and a banana.

Instead of? A vuvuzela is a deadly sonic weapon and a banana is as dangerous as any landmine.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Can diamond tools be repaired? I tired diamond and titanium ore on the pick/drill, but no dice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just use copper. Copper can repair anything.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Zarathustra, all parts on vuvuzela. :allears:

Tin Tim posted:

Can diamond tools be repaired? I tired diamond and titanium ore on the pick/drill, but no dice.

Made sure you're using refined diamond?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, wtf? Both ideas work. Of course, I'm going to use copper. It's really weird that you have to refine diamonds, when everything else just works with the ore.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Ha, I thought only diamond could repair stuff (because diamond's description is the only time in the game repair's even mentioned :v:). Sweet, a use for all this copper I keep piling up besides running a 24/7 copper refinery.

Hey, has anyone made smelters and refineries with multiple stacks? A smelter that did multistage loading (ie load stage 1 with cerulium and stage 2 with coal to put out ferozium) would be cool too.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Splizwarf posted:

Ha, I thought only diamond could repair stuff (because diamond's description is the only time in the game repair's even mentioned :v:). Sweet, a use for all this copper I keep piling up besides running a 24/7 copper refinery.

Hey, has anyone made smelters and refineries with multiple stacks? A smelter that did multistage loading (ie load stage 1 with cerulium and stage 2 with coal to put out ferozium) would be cool too.

I love that idea. At first it seemed that with 2 inventory pages and selective sorting for block types, that Starbound would vastly improve over Terraria's extremely sparse inventory size. But the fact is, each item type and color of stone takes up 1 inventory slot for up to 1000 of that item and the game has a diverse lot of crap. Eventually we got to a point where we had 3000-5000 of every ore and hundreds of bars and tens of thousands of pixels sitting in every refinery and began looking at copper nuggets as vermin looking to waste space in our fortress. I'd love if the refinery was a 16-slot box that could be filled with loads of ore and would just gradually eat through it all. I'd also love if there were some awesome things to make using ore\metal (such as Copper\Gold\Silver blocks like Terraria had). 1-stage Ferozium would be nice, as would some additional uses for Plutonium, Uranium, Solarium.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If I didn't already have a ton of poo poo to do, I'd go full-bore into creating a race of Lumberjacks.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

spacemanspliff posted:

...additional uses for Plutonium, Uranium, Solarium.

I have a distinct notion these could be tied, in some way, to energy-recharge items.
Even a consumable crafted using the above to let you recharge your energy, be it faster or instantaneously - perhaps even to augment it temporarily by increasing your cap. Battery packs, etc.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Duro posted:

Ok, someone needs to make a Ninja Turtles/Krang+suit mod

New race idea! Someone make it so

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there any special trick to finding given ores/coal?

I've not really ventured too far from my starting point, but coal seems a lot more scare than my copper/iron piles.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

I've not really ventured too far from my starting point, but coal seems a lot more scare than my copper/iron piles.

I found it to be very random. I know I was coal starved and couldn't travel to another system until I dug deep enough to find 200 fuels worth. Then next planet I found a motherload.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hav posted:

Ore dispersal is mostly random, but a tip to remember is that as you advance through the upgrade tiers and start going to different star sectors, ores from the previous tiers will stop being as common, so you may have to go back to the Alpha/Beta sectors every now and then to get iron and whatever else if need be.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't forget you can toss wood in your furnaces to convert it into coal if need be. The conversion rate sucks, but you have an effectively unlimited supply of wood as long as you replant trees.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CJacobs posted:

Ore dispersal is mostly random, but a tip to remember is that as you advance through the upgrade tiers and start going to different star sectors, ores from the previous tiers will stop being as common, so you may have to go back to the Alpha/Beta sectors every now and then to get iron and whatever else if need be.

I don't really find this to be the case. Higher tier planets have tons of silver/copper.

Rather, the iron-equivalent ore is entirely replaced every two tiers. You'll only find iron in alpha/beta sectors, and titanium in gamma/delta, and so on.

KoB
May 1, 2009
May as well just cut to the chase and make a race of butt-bots.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

If I knew the first thing about modding I would make a Hylotl ship that was just filled with water. Call it the Fishbowl or something.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Count Mippipopolous posted:

If I knew the first thing about modding I would make a Hylotl ship that was just filled with water. Call it the Fishbowl or something.

Minor problem with this is that you would probably drown, you could maybe get around it by getting items that spread an air bubble (a goon mod has crystals that give air breathing but im unsure if they work underwater)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kea posted:

Minor problem with this is that you would probably drown, you could maybe get around it by getting items that spread an air bubble (a goon mod has crystals that give air breathing but im unsure if they work underwater)

They sure do! Both outer space as well as under water.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blhue posted:

Don't forget you can toss wood in your furnaces to convert it into coal if need be. The conversion rate sucks, but you have an effectively unlimited supply of wood as long as you replant trees.

:aaaaa:

I thought there was a bug because I was putting the wood directly into the fuel depot and it wasn't registering. I had no idea you had to convert it to coal first (Let alone be able to convert it.)

KoB
May 1, 2009

m.hache posted:

I thought there was a bug because I was putting the wood directly into the fuel depot and it wasn't registering. I had no idea you had to convert it to coal first (Let alone be able to convert it.)

You used to be able to throw wood straight in there. They updated it to not work, then updated turning wood to coal.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

m.hache posted:

Yeah 10 wood to one coal, its not great but you can easily chop down quite a few trees on a jungle world, you WILL need coal all the way up to tier 10 mind so once you can find uranium I suggest using that as fuel.

That or download one of the many mods giving you the option of using a different source of fuel such as biofuel.

Seriously there are some fantastic mods out there, theres one that adds the option to purify ore like one of the minecraft mods which can really help if you arent having much luck!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kea posted:

Yeah 10 wood to one coal, its not great but you can easily chop down quite a few trees on a jungle world, you WILL need coal all the way up to tier 10 mind so once you can find uranium I suggest using that as fuel.

That or download one of the many mods giving you the option of using a different source of fuel such as biofuel.

Seriously there are some fantastic mods out there, theres one that adds the option to purify ore like one of the minecraft mods which can really help if you arent having much luck!

Well thus far I'm enjoying the game and I know there is a looming reset on the horizon. I just may install the biofuel mod next play through to make exploring easier.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blhue posted:

The problem is finding enough coal for a furnace at the moment, but thanks for the tip.

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013

KoB posted:

This is the ultimate goal to which the SA Starbound modding community must aspire. There is no greater purpose in this world or the next.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I've never looked into mods before, but a while back somebody mentioned that there is a mod which makes crops grow even if you're not on your chosen home planet. Anybody remember that one, by chance? Kinda don't know what to search for :)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Possibly A Ghost posted:

This is the ultimate goal to which the SA Starbound modding community must aspire. There is no greater purpose in this world or the next.

Even better if the on-screen text chat replaces random words with butt.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I've never looked into mods before, but a while back somebody mentioned that there is a mod which makes crops grow even if you're not on your chosen home planet. Anybody remember that one, by chance? Kinda don't know what to search for :)

Probably this one http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/persistent-farmables.640/
Havent tested it myself however.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Had a thought about some high tier craftables that might be fun and had the idea of an orbital mining laser you can call down from your ship, what do people think of this idea and are there any other cool ideas? (i also thought about being able to call down a bombing run)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Hrrrrmmm...

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the modding help guys! I followed Pilchenstein and EvilDrWong's advice and just had the players.config point straight to the vanilla object and added renamed recipe files to the mod folder. These changes made the drills show up at the tier 1 crafting table without a problem.

I'm working on a refinery + stone furnace that gives you a 1:1 ore to ingot ratio, then I'll upload it to dropbox for goons to have at it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

KoB posted:

Is there a dickbutt race yet?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If people are modding in dumb SS13 stuff, space bees and space honey would be good.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kea posted:

Had a thought about some high tier craftables that might be fun and had the idea of an orbital mining laser you can call down from your ship, what do people think of this idea and are there any other cool ideas? (i also thought about being able to call down a bombing run)

Well I suppose it would all depend on how Fast it was, How Deep it mined and how wide. It would be pretty sweet to be able to call down a Meteor like size hole every 15 seconds or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

m.hache posted:

Well I suppose it would all depend on how Fast it was, How Deep it mined and how wide. It would be pretty sweet to be able to call down a Meteor like size hole every 15 seconds or something.

I rather like this idea!

Also sweet would be to just have your ship drill downwards - like the crazy Romulan mining rig from Star Trek - just a matter of you telling it where to start digging, and telling it to stop when (if) you want to.
On that note.. if you don't stop, have the laser shoot through the entire planet? This would involve destroying blocks from the core upwards on the 'opposite' side of the scrolling map.. and oh god... silly. Glorious. I want this to happen!
I picture massive vertical shafts into the planet core. Possibly where Floran and Avian villages used to be. Drillbores through those silly Avian tower buildings, anyone? Pyramids cored out?
Something like a 20-block-wide pillar of annihilation that just vaporizes downwards at a a dozen blocks a second. Just be sure to get out of the way...

Then someone can make 'red matter' ... and yea. I took off with the Star Trek idea.

• Locked thread