Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kiper's skills aren't in talent evaluation, they're that he's been doing this forever and has the contacts of a guy who has been around forever, so he can give you a pretty solid industry consensus. If you want the best in depth talent evaluations, that's probably Dane Brugler at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Man you're fuckin hostile. Mettenberger is a statue who does make bad decisions and forces it into coverage no matter how many times you try to shout that idea down and playing in a "pro" offense isn't that much more important since lots of past first offenses (Saints, Pats, etc.) revolve around taking snaps from the shotgun much more than under center, and most teams relying on a traditional under center offense rely on play action to set up deep passes, which Boyd is pretty good at.

Dick.

I would take any of this seriously if not for your obvious UF fandom, sorry.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This was Kiper's first mock last year. Actual draft pick in parenthesis.

quote:

1. Luke Joeckel (2)
2. Damontre Moore (81)
3. Star Lotuleilei (14)
4. Dee Milliner (9)
5. Jarvis Jones (17)
6. Bjoern Warner (24)
7. Chance Warmack (10)
8. Manti Te'o (38)
9. Barkevious Mingo (6)
10. Dion Jordan (3)
11. Eric Fisher (1)
12. Cordarrelle Patterson (29)
13. Alec Ogletree (30)
14. Sheldon Richardson (13)
15. Jonathan Hankins (49)
16. Kenny Vaccaro (15)
17. Ezekial Ansah (5)
18. Jonathan Cooper (7)
19. Sam Montgomery (95)
20. Tyler Eifert (21)
21. Montee Ball (58)
22. DJ Fluker (11)
23. Terrance Williams (74)
24. Menelik Watson (42)
25. John Jenkins (82)
26. Zach Ertz (35)
27. Keenen Allen (76)
28. Xavier Rhodes (25)
29. Kevin Minter (45)
30. Sharrif Floyd (23)
31. DeAndre Hopkins (27)
32. Margus Hunt (53)

So yeah. It's uh. Extremely fluid. I mean I guess at least he was able to guess at least 20 first round picks?? None to any team that he predicted, though. Not one correct guess of team fit.

You just can't take the early mocks seriously.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 15, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

Hunt barely saw any snaps this year from what I can tell and I haven't really read much about him outside of what I saw pre-draft. Did he not show much of anything during the season or did he sit a lot because he's still raw as all hell? I was really enamored with the idea of the Jets taking him should he fall to them at 39 (the Geno pick) last year.
He's very raw. He was never supposed to dress this year, but injures forced their hand. He wasn't particularly good but got better with time, even if all he knew how to do is bullrush everyone in sight.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

jeffersonlives posted:

Kiper's skills aren't in talent evaluation, they're that he's been doing this forever and has the contacts of a guy who has been around forever, so he can give you a pretty solid industry consensus. If you want the best in depth talent evaluations, that's probably Dane Brugler at this point.

Does he though? I see almost nothing that indicates that he has any inside track on the industry, even with his old connections and his present day ESPN connections. I'm not sure how much that's him keeping quiet on purpose but he's absolutely nothing compared to McGinn who gets direct quotes straight from the source.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Doltos posted:

They had Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap, that's probably why. Also Hard Knocks made it very clear that Hunt was talented but still a work in progress.

It's really freaking hard to get significant playing time as a DE if there are two legitimate starters ahead of you, no matter how talented you are.

That makes sense. For some reason I always forget about Carlos Dunlap, even though I obviously shouldn't. I guess starting defensive linemen play such a huge percentage of overall defensive snap counts (at least guys like Johnson, Dunlap, Atkins, etc.) that it's naturally tough for a guy as raw as Hunt to see the field.

Edit: Regarding that mock, I don't see any way Amaro falls to the Patriots. Assuming he performs well leading up to the draft, I feel like the Jets would take him at 18 if Evans/Lee/Ebron are off the board (which doesn't seem out of the question).

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

John Brown posted:

I just saw a mock draft on nfl.com that has Dallas taking Louisville FS Calvin Pryon at 17.

Suggested sources for a analysis of this guy?

Almost all of the draft guys I follow on Twitter have been talking up Pryor relentlessly for the last couple weeks, fwiw.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

In contrast with the Kiper mock, Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks over on NFL.com put out their first mocks today too:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts

Both have Clowney going 1st overall.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If the draft happened tomorrow I'm comfortable with Clowney first overall.

By the way, if you guys want to create your own mocks within that spreadsheet we made yesterday, feel free to make a new tab and enter in data.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
There's part of me that feels like the Rams should just take Clowney. They could rotate Long heavily between the two end spots and then let him line up at DT in obvious pass rushing situations. Granted, they have big needs at OT, WR, and maybe even QB depending on what people think of Bradford, but if Clowney really is a head above anyone else, then you figure it out. It kind of reminds me of people who advocated that the Vikings should pass on Peterson, because they already had Chester Taylor, though I realize that Long is better and younger than Taylor was.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

No Safe Word posted:

In contrast with the Kiper mock, Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks over on NFL.com put out their first mocks today too:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts

Both have Clowney going 1st overall.

Eesh, if Kony Ealy is available at #23 I would take a good hard look at him as a replacement to Tamba Hali. Hali could be cut for 5.5mil in cap savings, or hopefully traded to get some valuable return. I would hate to lose Hali but he's one of those bigger contracts that might have to bite the bullet here soon since we're looking fairly tight against the cap.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Speaking of TFF mocks, when are we going to start up the TFF GM draft, after the combine? I want to get through all four rounds this year, we've got all these drat picks to use!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mind you all that this is a nutso deep draft and a lot of your second round picks are going to be first round quality.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Speaking of TFF mocks, when are we going to start up the TFF GM draft, after the combine? I want to get through all four rounds this year, we've got all these drat picks to use!

Let's start it up in February. That'll give us two months which should be long enough for one round.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
You'll get through the first 50 picks or so before petering out and you'll like it damnit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doltos posted:

If the draft happened tomorrow I'm comfortable with Clowney first overall.

By the way, if you guys want to create your own mocks within that spreadsheet we made yesterday, feel free to make a new tab and enter in data.

If you're really gung-ho about your mock drafting and want to win a championship ring for being good at it, keep an eye on ourlads.com

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft-challenge/

They don't have the 2014 challenge up yet, but you can see the 2013 pile of mocks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

bhsman posted:

I would take any of this seriously if not for your obvious UF fandom, sorry.

You're trying a bit too hard

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

Eesh, if Kony Ealy is available at #23 I would take a good hard look at him as a replacement to Tamba Hali. Hali could be cut for 5.5mil in cap savings, or hopefully traded to get some valuable return. I would hate to lose Hali but he's one of those bigger contracts that might have to bite the bullet here soon since we're looking fairly tight against the cap.

WR is pretty deep this year anyway. If we can get a good FA then there's no reason to draft one in the first. Clinton-Dix should be the main target but he won't fall and we don't have much ammo to trade up with, so it'll probably end up being a DE like Early or Tuitt.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AAA DOLFAN posted:

You're trying a bit too hard

I felt my effort should only be equal to Declan's~

EDIT: I'm not even trying to insult Gator fans, so you don't have to feel obligated to defend him.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Declan isn't a UF fan in the slightest man

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well at least Kiper says he doesn't have Manziel as the top QB but thinks the Texans will take him for (dumb) reasons. Gil Brandt thinks Manziel is the #1 overall prospect for any position

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

:psypop:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^I like Manziel but...the #1 prospect? Seriously? Half of that is just the position he plays.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Declan isn't a UF fan in the slightest man

Ohshi-! Well sorry Declan I'll just ignore your post on principle then.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Azhais posted:

If you're really gung-ho about your mock drafting and want to win a championship ring for being good at it, keep an eye on ourlads.com

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft-challenge/

They don't have the 2014 challenge up yet, but you can see the 2013 pile of mocks.

I did this last year and I got at least nine picks correct :smaug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
added a positional rankings sheet to the google doc. Current rankings are based on the order listed (and very incomplete). I expect this to be a shitshow down the road.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Well at least Kiper says he doesn't have Manziel as the top QB but thinks the Texans will take him for (dumb) reasons. Gil Brandt thinks Manziel is the #1 overall prospect for any position

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

yes and Jerry Jones will take every player from Arkansas IT HAS TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Isn't there some contest where you get $1m if you get all 32 first round picks right? Not that I'd be worried if I were running said contest

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Parmesan Basil posted:

WR is pretty deep this year anyway. If we can get a good FA then there's no reason to draft one in the first. Clinton-Dix should be the main target but he won't fall and we don't have much ammo to trade up with, so it'll probably end up being a DE like Early or Tuitt.

Ealy would be an OLB in the 3-4.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

I don't like to use this word as I find it to be lazy and insulting to people with mental conditions but Gil Brandt is a retard.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Gil Brandt's top 10's for 2012 and 2013. He might slightly overvalue the QB position but QBs are still really goddamn important so probably not.

quote:

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (1)
2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor (2)
3. Matt Kalil, OT, USC (3)
4. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M (6)
5. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (5)
6. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU (7)
7. Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE, South Carolina (8)
8. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (4)
9. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (10)
10. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State (20)

1) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M (1)
2) Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU (2)
3) Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon (3)
4) Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida (4)
5) Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (5)
6) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (6)
7) Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (7)
8) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (11)
9) Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU (10)
10) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State (9)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There's no way that 2012 one is pre combine is there? I could swear RG3 wasn't a top 10 pick yet at this time of year

Also what are the numbers in the parentheses? They're certainly not draft order

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

bhsman posted:

Ohshi-! Well sorry Declan I'll just ignore your post on principle then.

Dude, I have no dog in this race but you really need to chill out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Grozz Nuy posted:

Dude, I have no dog in this race but you really need to chill out.

Last post on it: Maybe he shouldn't have gotten in a huff for being told to gently caress off for a flippant post, then. I've only even brought up Mett as a potential 2nd-round pick, and even then I've mostly talked about Manziel, Teddy, or even Boyd, but bring up the guy from LSU and oh man I'm such a homer. His response wasn't necessarily calm and measured, either, so I was equally flippant.

I'll stop being dumb and argumentive about it, but it wasn't unprovoked.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I absolutely love the JFF hype. Please God, let Bridgewater fall to the Raiders.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

There's no way that 2012 one is pre combine is there? I could swear RG3 wasn't a top 10 pick yet at this time of year

2013 looks pre-combine/post senior-bowl. Eric Fisher wasn't out of the second round until his awesome senior bowl practices and Mingo fell behind Jordan around that time. 2012 looks like it was made during the combine right before Coples started to fall.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Intruder posted:

I think they might be previous rankings. He does multiple iterations of these lists.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

2013 looks pre-combine/post senior-bowl. Eric Fisher wasn't out of the second round until his awesome senior bowl practices and Mingo fell behind Jordan around that time. 2012 looks like it was made during the combine right before Coples started to fall.

Fisher seemed like a late-first/early second dude until he stonewalled everyone aside from Alex Okafor at the Senior Bowl, and even then Okafor had to use his bull rip-club super move or whatever to beat him.

EDIT: And if that sounds like a joke regarding Okafor's move, it's not.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Isn't there some contest where you get $1m if you get all 32 first round picks right? Not that I'd be worried if I were running said contest

You're almost more likely to win those whole "pick all 64 games of March Madness" bracket buster deals because at least there you are limited to a 50/50 chance with each matchup. Here you have hundreds of guys that could go in any of the 32 slots.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Safe Word posted:

You're almost more likely to win those whole "pick all 64 games of March Madness" bracket buster deals because at least there you are limited to a 50/50 chance with each matchup. Here you have hundreds of guys that could go in any of the 32 slots.

They hand those out at the draft and you could win like 10k and an all expenses paid trip to somewhere. If I was lucky enough to land all 32 spots in a draft I'd be expecting some sort of massive powerball winning instead.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

They hand those out at the draft and you could win like 10k and an all expenses paid trip to somewhere. If I was lucky enough to land all 32 spots in a draft I'd be expecting some sort of massive powerball winning instead.

I haven't seen those recently, but I did win a Fred Taylor-autographed mini helmet at Day 3 last year.

In retrospect, doing Day 1, watching day 2 at home with wings and beer, and then casually heading in for day 3 was a strong play that I may replicate this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bhsman posted:

I'll stop being dumb and argumentive about it, but it wasn't unprovoked.

I will never provoke you again, promise. Not even if it means defending my beloved Gators.

Intruder posted:

RG3 was a top ten pick somewhere around the fourth game of the season when that hype train was running full steam and I think he cemented himself as the #2 guy overall around the time he won the Heisman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Declan MacManus posted:

I will never provoke you again, promise. Not even if it means defending my beloved Gators.

RG3 was a top ten pick somewhere around the fourth game of the season when that hype train was running full steam and I think he cemented himself as the #2 guy overall around the time he won the Heisman.

Not just the #2 but there were a few people saying he might go over Luck. It was a minority, but it was there.

• Locked thread