Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Cerebal Bore in Turok was out of whack for its time. There's also the snarks in Half Life, and the antlion pheremones in Half Life 2. I will always have a fondness for those two.

I too was thinking of the Cerebral Bore. It's such a lovely weapon. There's a lot of other weird weapons in those late 90s/early 00s shooters, but absolutely nothing will compare to the sound and visual effects of the Bore. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The energy weapons from the first Turok game are just way over-the-top. I love them. The alien weapon eats ammo like crazy, but it fires a rapid beam that explodes on impact. It's kind of fun to watch things die from the beam and then have their corpses sent flying from the explosion that follows. The Particle Accelerator is one of those weapons you can charge to release increasingly powerful shots. It freezes enemies on the spot, turns them coal-black, and causes them to explode into solid chunks for some reason. It even works on the harmless monkeys throughout the jungles. They're normally invulnerable! Then there's the Chronoscepter, the game's 'ultimate weapon' which you have to piece together by finding its parts scattered around the game. It fires a huge, extremely fast blue beam that explodes into a blinding blue cloud. The beam actually doesn't hit enemies directly, but rather homes in on the ground targets are standing on once it reaches them. It's normally only available for the final boss, which is a shame.

Then there's the Fusion Cannon. Turok's BFG, only bigger, orange, and more lethal. It fires a spark that explodes into a miniature game-lagging nuclear explosion. I hardly ever use it because there are only four fusion cells (including the two that come packaged with the cannon) in the entire game, but it's pretty handy in a few rooms in the Campaigner's Fortress and during the Tyrannosaurs battle. The final boss is a cheeky fucker and forces you to drop it if you try to use it on him, though, so don't bother saving shots for him.

RyokoTK posted:

I too was thinking of the Cerebral Bore. It's such a lovely weapon. There's a lot of other weird weapons in those late 90s/early 00s shooters, but absolutely nothing will compare to the sound and visual effects of the Bore. :black101:

The Proximity Fragmentation Mine Layer, a personal favorite, was pretty brutal too. It would cut tall enemies off at the knees, causing them to writhe around on the ground while screaming as they die from bleeding out. Any enemy shorter than knee-height was reduced to goo. There's also the Shredder that bounces shots all over the walls and rips whatever it hits apart. Unfortunately, as cool as they are, there's little entertainment in the rest of Turok 2's arsenal. I found the Scorpion and grenade launcher pretty lame in comparison to the first game's equivalents. To top it off, the Nuke (the 'ultimate weapon' that has to be pieced together in a similar manner to Turok's Chronoscepter) was a massive disappointment and worked the same as the old Particle Accelerator. If I remember right, the final boss wasn't even affected by it!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's also the snarks in Half Life.

Snarks are stupid fun. I love those little guys :3:. A lot of people I know hate it, and it's admittedly not very useful, but I'm particularly fond of the Hivehand as well. I just think it looks cool I guess.

Duke 3D's devastator is pretty rad and, as much flak Hexen gets, it still has some pretty neat weapons like that one that shoots all the screaming wraiths that just crawl around a kill things.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 15, 2014

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

AE-35 Unit posted:

My favorite part of UT was the Redeemer. I didn't give a poo poo about placing on the scoreboard as long as I could chase someone around a map with a guided nuke.
I remember there being a UT99 mod that let you ride the Redeemer missile like that guy in Dr. Strangelove. :hellyeah:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in my youth playing the PS2 port of UT (hey, it let us do splitscreen 4 player, I didn't have 4 computers at my parents house)

And all we ever did was play that one map where the redeemer spawns between those two big cardboard boxes in the middle of the map, gently caress I forget the name.

We played that map 24/7 and played our own game type: King of the Redeemer.
Here's how you play:

Everybody camps the redeemer
Somebody gets the redeemer
He shoots the redeemer, and everybody dies

Rinse, repeat.

It never gets old. Oh man, I remember once I got killed twice by the same redeemer shot. He hit me with it point blank, and then I managed to respawn in time for the blast radius to hit me a second time. Amazing. :allears:

Seems to me that you're talking about one of the PS2-exclsuive maps, but it reminds me a bit of DM-Morbias II, which was in the PC and PS2 versions. It's a small arena map with rocket launchers scattered around and a Redeemer in the center. It's awesome because you'll be playing and a random Redeemer explosion will happen, taking out several people, including the person that fired it. The map is pretty small, so a lot of people get gibbed by it. It doesn't sound like much, but getting wiped because of a sudden Redeemer explosion from nowhere while you're gibbing other people is pretty funny.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hear that if you stand perfectly still in UT3, nobody will ever know you're there.

That game is literally the worst about being unable to see ANYTHING. Even if their isn't a desaturating gray color filter on the screen, you STILL can't see stuff because the character models blend in with everything! It all lights the same, why is there no priority brightness for character models?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Starhawk64 posted:

What do you guys think is the most ridiculous weapon in an FPS game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHPvT8zVXT0

Also, the Super Bootspork. It's a rotating spork that teleports enemies to a different dimension. I don't even know where to begin with that, every single part of its concept is utterly ridiculous.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I take it you've never played the first two Turok games? :chord:

Yes, I have played them and both games have some pretty nutty weapons. The Cerebral Bore is definitely the most craziest weapon ever in an FPS. I miss the good old days of 90s FPS games, where you shot cyborg dinosaurs with plasma rifles and quad-barreled rocket launchers. Now all the enemies are just variants of dudes with guns and all the weapons are boring assault rifles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

closeted republican posted:

Seems to me that you're talking about one of the PS2-exclsuive maps, but it reminds me a bit of DM-Morbias II, which was in the PC and PS2 versions. It's a small arena map with rocket launchers scattered around and a Redeemer in the center. It's awesome because you'll be playing and a random Redeemer explosion will happen, taking out several people, including the person that fired it. The map is pretty small, so a lot of people get gibbed by it. It doesn't sound like much, but getting wiped because of a sudden Redeemer explosion from nowhere while you're gibbing other people is pretty funny.

Oh yeah, it was PS2 exclusive. Wow, I didn't know they did that.

DM-Brickyard

There it is, I found that fucker. This isn't the redeemer side but the only pic I could find of the redeemer wouldn't link. But that's the map, and that's the type of wood box thing I was talking about. There's two of those with a redeemer spawn in the middle, which gives you cover for camping it which is awesome. Creates a massive tension point. Actually that pic is from a remake, not the original ps2, textures are different. But you get the idea.

Its a pretty small, mostly square map with three main hallways and the redeemer right in the middle. Some over/under action in the middle too if I remember correctly, but its been forever.

Oh hell yes somebody adapted it for the PC version, and somebody else for UT3? Gonna try em out.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 15, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

I liked the good vibes launcher from Dreamkiller that shot a miniature sun that caused grass and flowers to grow in an area and killed things by making them too happy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Technically not an FPS, or even early, but the spear-gun from Dead Space 2 was the most hilarious power-trip once fully upgraded.

Imagine the stake gun from Painkiller, only it fires about four times faster, ammo is as common as dirt, and once fully upgraded the spikes electrocute on impact (as well as pinning to walls), and the alt-fire that causes the last spear you've fired to explode like a rocket as well.

The exploding part isn't even required. The enemy are usually dead by the first or second spear anyway. It's just a glorious coup-de-grace that just happens to kill everything around it. It's complete overkill, and all in an early-game, rifle-class weapon.

If you upgrade it exclusively, the final third of the game is a tsunami of flaming electric gibs.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 15, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked the Monkey Gun in TimeSplitters Future Perfect. 64 rounds fired instantly when you pull the trigger. I also liked the Helghast assault rifle from Killzone 1 mainly due to its design. It looked cool, held a huge amount of rounds in a weird cylinder and had a shotgun secondary fire.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

You guys are a little slow on the uptake here. He put the hint in his own post.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Your favorite part about the game was a silly gimmick weapon? You didn't care about anything else? You know, it was an actual game, too.

Your favorite part about the game was a silly gimmick weapon?

silly gimmick weapon?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Your favorite part about the game was a silly gimmick weapon? You didn't care about anything else? You know, it was an actual game, too.

Yeah the rest was okay too I guess.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So, um, I went to GOG.com today for the first time in months and I seem to have drunkenly purchased the thief trilogy a few months back. Anyone mind telling me what I'm in for if I check out the first one? My computer can't run anything modern, so I don't need any fancy enhancements or anything. Is the gameplay superclunky or anything like that?

I used to be a stealth fan way back with stuff like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, but never got around to Thief.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I hope so. I only recently played through 3, and it really was at it's best when it was like TSE. Hopefully SS4 will just be an even better TSE.

It won't be as bad as Serious Sam 2.

Old, but aren't they still going to try for an HD remake of SS2?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Narcissus1916 posted:

So, um, I went to GOG.com today for the first time in months and I seem to have drunkenly purchased the thief trilogy a few months back. Anyone mind telling me what I'm in for if I check out the first one? My computer can't run anything modern, so I don't need any fancy enhancements or anything. Is the gameplay superclunky or anything like that?

I used to be a stealth fan way back with stuff like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, but never got around to Thief.

Gameplay is pretty much identical between Thief 1 and 2, but Thief 1 has more non-human enemies that you have to avoid/stab/blow the gently caress up. If anything Thief 3 is clunkier due to engine problems and the weird "you have an actual body" implementation.

There's a new HD mod for Thief 1. I'm never totally convinced by the low-poly-with-nice-textures look, to be honest.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BZEFurZ8tI

I almost forgot about the hilariously absurd weapons from the Iguana shitpile known as South Park for the N64. The arsenal includes:
  • Snowballs you can piss on for extra damage.
  • A toilet plunger launcher with a triple-plunger alt-fire.
  • The Warpo Ray: some kind of weird rear end toy gun with three fire modes, one of which shoots piranhas at enemies and another that turns hostiles into harmless woodland creatures (featured in the video above). I can't remember what the third alt-fire does. I think it's a shrink ray?
  • Terrance and Phillip dolls that function as grenades and proxy mines that explode in a cloud of fart gas.
  • The Alien Dancing Gizmo: a device that makes people stop dead in their tracks and sing (also featured in the video above). Unfortunately it makes them sing a song written for the game instead of Tex Avery's I Love to Singa as in the television pilot.
  • A sniper rifle in the form of a chicken that you held rear end-out so it can fire eggs at bullet speed over several hundred meters.
  • The Cow Launcher, South Park's own BFG of sorts. It fired cows that exploded into a cloud of gas, but it also functioned like the Cerebral Bore in that it can lock on to the heads of your enemies and one-hit kill them by making the cow fall on them rear end-first, forcing their head into its anus and suffocating them.

It's a shame the game turned out so bad, but my friends had a blast playing deathmatches.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Snarks made HLDM too much fun because people would freak the gently caress out when they got a snark on them, all running and spraying ammo everywhere. Great for chasing people into tripmines.

Speaking of, if you haven't spent a lazy afternoon covering an entire HLDM level in tripmines, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Starhawk64 posted:

Russian Overkill, a mod for Doom, has absolutely bonkers weapons. My favorite is the secondary fire for the quad-shotgun--it makes 16 shotguns show up and fills the whole screen with shotguns. The recoil will blast you across the level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3eN9HR-XA

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's nothing compared to the shotgun whose altfire causes a rain of shell casing confetti to the tune of the 1812 Overture.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

I was actually looking into this recently and it doesn't look like it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Russian Overkill, a mod for Doom, has absolutely bonkers weapons. My favorite is the secondary fire for the quad-shotgun--it makes 16 shotguns show up and fills the whole screen with shotguns. The recoil will blast you across the level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3eN9HR-XA

Russian Overkill also has a grenade item that plays audio from the "Pickle Surprise" video and explodes into pickles that bounce around and kill everything. :allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

JackMackerel posted:

I doubt it. Serious Sam 2 is widely regarded as the worst one, even when it comes to the console Serious Sam games, and they're busy making Serious Sam 4 anyway. Even after SS4 releases, I really just can't see them remaking the most hated entry in the series.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

They plan on doing it, but right now they're focusing development time on Serious Sam 4 and tying up SS3's loose ends.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone here used the level editor that comes with Duke3D Megaton Edition? I've had issues with it. The Duke3D assets aren't available, and for whatever reason, I can't exit out of 3D mode. I've read here that it's because of a bug, and that Mapster32 works better.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 16, 2014

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

It holds up surprisingly well in my opinion, though I would recommend to skip Thief 1 and go straight to Thief 2. Same basic gameplay, but the mission design is a lot better. If you like it a lot you can still go back to Thief 1 and see how the story played out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would at least play Thief first, you will probably enjoy it. It's one of the seminal stealth games and it's closer to Splinter Cell in that you're given a few robust tools to deal with the environment but interacting with enemies is never efficient. These are games that you can really enjoy ghosting.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here used the level editor that comes with Duke3D Megaton Edition? I've had issues with it. The Duke3D assets aren't available, and for whatever reason, I can't exit out of 3D mode. I've read here that it's because of a bug, and that Mapster32 works better.
Just use Mapster32, there's literally no reason to stick to the old build editor. What you make will still be compatible with Megaton unless you start using Eduke32 things like coloured fog or true room over room.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know if Serious Sam 3 gets better after the second level? I got it in a humble bundle or something and the first level was a blast but then the game put me into a dingy museum filled with one type of monster and I got bored really quick. Its a shame because I remember really enjoying the first game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Anyone know if Serious Sam 3 gets better after the second level? I got it in a humble bundle or something and the first level was a blast but then the game put me into a dingy museum filled with one type of monster and I got bored really quick. Its a shame because I remember really enjoying the first game.

Towards mid-game, it gets better but then on the last third it shits itself and makes it a chore (again). TFE and TSE are the best SS games so far. SS3 is far more fun in coop with infinite ammo and respawns, but still way worse than the others (SS2 never happened).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Brasseye posted:

It gets a lot better when you reach the level where you fight the Harpies at the start. Feel free to skip to that level via cheats; you're not missing out on much.

I thought the last third part was as great as the middle part. :shobon:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Play Thief 1 first. It's has a superior story than 2 and some cut-scenes in Metal Age will spoil some of the cooler story events in 1. Don't be scared off by the concept of non-human enemies. They still follow the same rules of detection as the human ones. People talk about the sheer game-play purity of Doom in this thread but I think Thief is the stealth game equivalent of that purity.

For the first time through play the game on normal difficulty as expert requires you to know what you are doing in a few places. Just be prepared to get lost in some of the larger levels though but that is part of the charm of the experience.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Matter of taste I guess but the whole "Guardian of time" zone was bullshit and boring. I did a second play through with goons some time ago with infinite ammo and respawns and was funny because we kept a stream of rockets, cannonballs, devastator shots and so that we only died because of the splash damage :v:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Cool, I guess I will cheat and skip ahead a bit on Serious Sam 3. The second level just struck me as a really terrible fit for that game, after the first where you fight some of the classic enemies in wide open spaces you're immediately dropped into dark corridors full of 2 new types of enemy that are extremely boring to fight. I don't know what they were trying to do there but it sucked.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Brasseye posted:

Cool, I guess I will cheat and skip ahead a bit on Serious Sam 3. The second level just struck me as a really terrible fit for that game, after the first where you fight some of the classic enemies in wide open spaces you're immediately dropped into dark corridors full of 2 new types of enemy that are extremely boring to fight. I don't know what they were trying to do there but it sucked.

I'd do this:

*Skip until you reach the level with the Harpy (topless bird woman) at the start.
*As soon as you reach the level, exit and go back to the main menu.
*Go into the single player mode menu, go into level select, and find the level "Under the Iron Cloud". Select it, and you'll be back at the Harpy level without the "CHEATS ENABLED" message.

That way, you can play without the obnoxious "CHEATS ENABLED" message on your screen for the rest of the game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why was Serious Sam 2 considered awful? I played and had a fun time. Granted, it was dumbed down and not as awesome as TFE and TSE, and way much more goofier.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Why was Serious Sam 2 considered awful? I played and had a fun time. Granted, it was dumbed down and not as awesome as TFE and TSE, and way much more goofier.

Maybe "awful" isn't the correct word considering there are a lot worse games, but at the same there are a lot better games. It's certainly mediocre and served as an argument for the "consolization" of PC titles. Even if you don't believe in that it's undoubtedly inferior to the first game and not even a great shooter in its own right.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I must be the only one who liked the second level in SS3. It didn't have huge hordes of enemies, but being set in-doors and shooting zombie soldiers with the shotgun was the closest thing to a modern version of Doom that I've ever played.
Then again I considered the first half of the game set in the city to be excellent. The deserts were good too, but that setting was run to the ground in the first title already, and those monkey enemies can eat poo poo if you're the type who has to kill absolutely everything before moving on.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can you dance with revenants indefinitely in Doom? I keep getting a rocket in the face from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bouchacha posted:

Can you dance with revenants indefinitely in Doom? I keep getting a rocket in the face from time to time.

The distance threshold for receiving a revenant punch is pretty tiny, if I remember right. You have to basically be touching them at the time they try to attack.