Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a video about DSP of Arkham Asylum where you're supposed to use your newly acquired zipline to cross a gap. The video to show you how it's done is about 8 seconds long. DSP takes 30 minutes to figure out that he might want to try using Batman's new toy at the next part of the game.

He seems to have such a "unique" thought process that if he were in a field that was actually productive and not one that feeds his slovenly nature and ego, he'd probably end up inventing a bunch of vaccines or machines simply by doing things so wrong, he's found out new ways of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
There was the MGS2 montage where he couldn't figure out how to equip rations

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

theCalamity posted:

I still can't believe that whole Coolant thing wasn't staged.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

theCalamity posted:

He gets lost on MGS3's loving main menu.

He gets out the manual!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He gets out the manual!

Oh god, I forgot that he gets stuck on the "Which Metal Gear is your favourite" question. He can't even give his opinions correctly.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
How many videos did he spend on the end? I would check this myself, but gently caress that, I don't want to watch any of his poo poo...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

How many videos did he spend on the end? I would check this myself, but gently caress that, I don't want to watch any of his poo poo...

That's another crazy thing. He managed to automate the poo poo out of his process, so the videos are all just [Game Name] [Episode Number]. I wanted to see how he did against the Bell Gargoyles in Dark Souls and it's somewhere around video 24, I guess, but I can't loving find it because the individual videos aren't marked up in any way.

edit: To be clear, when I went searching I was guessing low numbers and 24 is the closest I got to "I think the Bell Gargoyles are around here..." but still couldn't find it.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 15, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

The End section in the "This is how you don't play MGS3" is at least 40 minutes, and that's edited to show the bits that are worst, there's going to be several minutes cut often with nothing much happening.

I've not watched the source videos and have no desire to either.

How difficult is it to actually automate 10 minute uploads to YouTube like he does? It seems like something above his level of general intelligence.

e: confusing typo

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 15, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUS_5ao5WEQ

Hands down the best blind Dark Souls LP. She's pretty much the only blind Dark Souls LPer I've ever seen that's not literally retarded.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Genocyber posted:

She's pretty much the only blind Dark Souls LPer I've ever seen that's not literally retarded.

That's a pretty sick burn dude.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Aurain posted:

Oh god, I forgot that he gets stuck on the "Which Metal Gear is your favourite" question. He can't even give his opinions correctly.

Incidentally, as someone who's never played MGS3, does that choice have any significance in the game?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Incidentally, as someone who's never played MGS3, does that choice have any significance in the game?

Eh, just an extra or two.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He gets out the manual!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

He got horrifically confused on Demon's Souls' naming screen. The loving enter your name field was near incomprehensible to him.

Edit:

ninjahedgehog posted:

It gives you a few bonuses depending on what you pick. I think picking MGS1 makes your stamina decrease slower, MGS2 gives you an alternate intro cutscene and also gives you a face camo slightly earlier than you'd get it and MGS3 gives you a lot of bonus face camos. Picking "This is my first" or something like that deprives you of bonuses.

Edit2: I forgot, selecting MGS3 unlocks the cutscene viewer so you can just watch them all from the get go, since you've told the game "I've beaten it and it's my favorite".

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 15, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjahedgehog posted:

Saying you like MGS2 changes Snake's name in the beginning to Jack, and MGS3 gives some sort of cutscene viewer. I don't think MGS1 does anything.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Hands down the best blind Dark Souls LP. She's pretty much the only blind Dark Souls LPer I've ever seen that's not literally retarded.

Is this the one where she takes notes? I've heard good things about that one.

... But that's a pretty bad video to show off. She takes a few minutes to even leave the cell at the beginning, and awhile to figure out not to fight the Asylum Demon. Is there something really impressive in later videos?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Genocyber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUS_5ao5WEQ

I watched only the first 3 minutes, and I would have to agree, she catches on somewhat quickly compared to others.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Why do people bother watching blind dark souls LPs? I've never understood the appeal of watching someone play a game for the first time. If I wanted that experience, I'd just go play the game for myself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

gatz posted:

Why do people bother watching blind dark souls LPs? I've never understood the appeal of watching someone play a game for the first time. If I wanted that experience, I'd just go play the game for myself.

At least for Dark Souls vets, it gives us a chance to relive the first experience with the game all over again.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

ChaosArgate posted:

At least for Dark Souls vets, it gives us a chance to relive the first experience with the game all over again.

Why is that worth the time, though? Why not go play another video game, or read a book with new ideas you haven't thought about?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Picking I like MGS3, at least on the HD version, gives you the flag face paints that were EU Snake Eater exclusive(as apology for late release dates) back on PS2 before Subsistence came out and it gives you the camo from the strangely omitted Boss Rush mode. One of those camos is arguably the best all purpose camo in the game, which is great because you don't really want to keep swapping camo every two minutes.

I think those unlock after your first play-through on I like MGS1/2, though I can't confirm that.

e: I like seeing people reactions to the better parts of Dark Souls for the first time. It's usually quite funny to see someone run into the Capra Demon and get crushed.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MooCowlian posted:

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

The Skyward Sword part of that video nearly killed me. The worst part is that he never realises what he was doing wrong.

Does he ever realise that Beamoses aren't invincible?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

gatz posted:

Why is that worth the time, though? Why not go play another video game, or read a book with new ideas you haven't thought about?

Because there's nothing quite like Dark Souls (aside from Demon's Souls).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gatz posted:

People have different reactions to things, people like seeing other people's reactions to things. This is why people watch any blind LPs of any game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

gatz posted:

...This kind of applies to any thread in this entire subforum.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Slowbeef posted:

...This kind of applies to any thread in this entire subforum.

No, because, remember, we're talking about experiencing something new. Clearly, that can be done by watching/reading a let's play of a game you haven't played. If planescape: torment is considered to be one of the best written video games, there's not much of a difference between reading an LP of it compared to reading a well written fantasy novel.

On another level, you can experience something new even if you have already played the game, under the right conditions. Girgast is a game developer, and he supposedly dissects Cold Fear in his LP of it (word of mouth from Lazyfire since I haven't watched it).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aurain posted:

The End section in the "This is how you don't play MGS3" is at least 40 minutes, and that's edited to show the bits that are worst, there's going to be several minutes cut often with nothing much happening.

I've not watched the source videos and have no desire to either.

How difficult is it to actually automate 10 minute uploads to YouTube like he does? It seems like something above his level of general intelligence.

e: confusing typo

To be fair, The End is designed to be a fight you take close to an hour to beat the first time through. The only reason I managed it quicker when I played it was having watched Chip & Ironicus's LP like 3 times by that point, so I knew some of the cheesier tactics.

Not that I expect DSP to have done anything other than stomp about in the open and scream "BULLSHIT, I CANT EVEN SEE HIM!" when he gets shot.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

gatz posted:

No, because, remember,

Do you just not like to experience a thing you love in a different way with a fresh perspective? Like, I don't think watching a blind Dark Souls LP is the way to go but to each their own.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gatz posted:

No, because, remember, we're talking about experiencing something new. Clearly, that can be done by watching/reading a let's play of a game you haven't played. If planescape: torment is considered to be one of the best written video games, there's not much of a difference between reading an LP of it compared to reading a well written fantasy novel.

On another level, you can experience something new even if you have already played the game, under the right conditions. Girgast is a game developer, and he supposedly dissects Cold Fear in his LP of it (word of mouth from Lazyfire since I haven't watched it).

Well, using your own point, the appeal to watching a blind Dark Souls-LP is basically seeing how people that never played the game react to its challenges. The cool thing about the Souls series is that you can approach a certain obstacle in a myriad of ways, even some that you might not have thought about before, and watching people come to their own conclusions about the best way to handle the Bell Gargoyles or the Capra Demon (shoutouts to Geop) is pretty entertaining - and sometimes elucidating.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

gatz posted:

At this point, then, it just comes down to the fact that other people value having personally new experiences less than you happen to. There's not really anything that can be defended or explained there, and neither's better or worse, really. It's just that for some people, a personally new experience is as enjoyable as a vicariously new experience; they enjoy them both just as much.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Dias posted:

Well, using your own point, the appeal to watching a blind Dark Souls-LP is basically seeing how people that never played the game react to its challenges. The cool thing about the Souls series is that you can approach a certain obstacle in a myriad of ways, even some that you might not have thought about before, and watching people come to their own conclusions about the best way to handle the Bell Gargoyles or the Capra Demon (shoutouts to Geop) is pretty entertaining - and sometimes elucidating.

Good point. I've never actually played Dark Souls, so I didn't know about this.

Idran posted:

At this point, then, it just comes down to the fact that other people value having personally new experiences less than you happen to. There's not really anything that can be defended or explained there, and neither's better or worse, really. It's just that for some people, a personally new experience is as enjoyable as a vicariously new experience; they enjoy them both just as much.

Agreed. Ultimately it comes down to opportunity cost for me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gatz posted:

Agreed. Ultimately it comes down to opportunity cost for me.

What's interesting about Dark Souls LPs for me is that I've tried the game several times and just do not enjoy it on every level. I appreciate what it's doing, but I just can't stand it when it comes down to playing it. Watching people play it well (or going through the learning experience that I don't enjoy) allows me to get some context for why it's so acclaimed.

That said, I never watch them much anyway because they ended up solidifying that I just don't care for the game at all. :v: But it's still interesting to see why people appreciate a significant game that didn't click with me in the way it did with so many others.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Thanks to this thread, I've plunged myself into the mayhem of DSP. It's funny how I have never played MGS3 and I feel like an expert in comparison. Thank god somebody cut all the best parts for me. It's a train wreck in every sense. And I can't stop watching.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
One of the most baffling DSP things is in MGS3 every time Eva was on screen he constantly makes sex "jokes" but in MGS1 if Snake flirts with one of the female support team members he acts like Kojima is the most perverted person on the planet.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Jesus, The End will be the end of me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Slowbeef posted:

Is this the one where she takes notes? I've heard good things about that one.

... But that's a pretty bad video to show off. She takes a few minutes to even leave the cell at the beginning, and awhile to figure out not to fight the Asylum Demon. Is there something really impressive in later videos?

I think the biggest appeal in Kay's series, even more than the success she has with so little outside help, is actually exactly what you're complaining about - the way she takes her time to examine everything and read all the lore, put pieces together, and both figure out what she needs to do and how things work in ways that most people had to hear from someone else. She draws a lot of connections that are probably very interesting to people who haven't read the wiki cover to cover, and she generally puts annotations in the videos if she's spending a lot of time reading or thinking or searching for something that she ends up not finding, so people who aren't interested in that can skip those few minutes. Maybe she didn't do so in the really early videos while she was learning the controls.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Boxturret posted:

One of the most baffling DSP things is in MGS3 every time Eva was on screen he constantly makes sex "jokes" but in MGS1 if Snake flirts with one of the female support team members he acts like Kojima is the most perverted person on the planet.

It's even worse, during the scene where Eva is mortally wounded he keeps it up and even sticks his hand in front of the camera and pantomines pinching her breasts.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Idran posted:

Also, people actually do "Let's Play" books and movies. Mark Does Stuff is a blog where a super-cool dude experiences popular media he's never been exposed to, commentates on it more-or-less daily, and everyone has reaction-gif parties in the comments. I also recently read an amazing blog series where a lady who'd never seen Star Wars watched all the movies in Machete Order and wrote along in real time.

quote:

OH GOD. That’s the real reason Chewie gets angry while playing space chess with 3P0! It’s not because he’s losing: At the same time as the game is being played, Han Solo is disparaging the Jedi and the Force. Chewie knows better, and always has.

It can be fun watching someone discover something you already know and love. Ever try to introduce a friend to your favourite game?

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't really have a chance to catch it live, but AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) is always fantastic. I'm still catching up from Summer Games Done Quick 2013.

It's a speedrunning charity marathon that runs 24/7 for over a week with 100's of games and 100's of runners, and the best part is that they're always commentated, often by a bunch of the best people at speedrunning that game in the world. I'm a huge fan of speedruns and LPs so when they add commentary to speedrunning I go nuts.

My favorite commentated speedruns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZKJZ9oBFo Halo 1 legendary no death single segment.

Single segment means he sat down and played the game start to finish in 1 sitting. 0 death is significant because firstly it's very difficult to do fast in halo 1, but also, often dying can be used to save time, or simply you can use much riskier strategies where the risk is worth the possible reward, so a 0 death run adds additional restraints to the typical speed run, making massive changes to the route. The reason I love this video particularly is because the runner has very informative and intelligent commentary while still (maybe especially) being interesting to people that are not so much into speedrunning. A great first taste of speedrunning for a newcomer, I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGn9sxCUgY Yoshi's Island any% with warps. Single segment.

Any% simply means "get to the 'You win' screen ASAP" rather than a 100% which would involve collecting all the things and completing side quests and such. Warps means you can use glitches to go out of bounds and skip past things. I love this run for similar reasons I love ADDQ, it's a few of the best speedrunners for this game chatting together and explaining some tricks, some of them even being new tricks invented by the runner shown to the other speedrun guys for the first time, and flooring them with the surprises and cocky show off skills that Yoshi's Island speedrunning is so open to (So often you can do something insanely high risk to save a minute amount of time, or side scroll so there is no reward, but no lost time, so risks are taken simply for bragging rights.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGd9N69Wl4Q Diablo 2 100% speedrun using sorceress, segmented.

Segmented means that he split the game into many parts, and then was allowed an infinite amount of resets on each of those small parts to make them as fast as possible, though he does have to do them in order as to keep the same items and such at the start of the next segment. With a RNG reliant game like this, segmented becomes a lot about luck manipulation rather than raw skill. The fact he uses sorceress is significant because often games with big choices like characters have different categories for each character, so a very skilled run with a slower character isn't totally ignored. This run is slightly different though because Diablo 2 isn't really a popular speedrun game and I think at the time of recording (5 years ago) this guy was the only one to ever do it. I love this run because he and his friend are just very entertaining to listen to, there's plenty of informative parts about the run, and the gameplay is great, but they're almost always joking with each other and talking about whatever during more tedious parts, like a lot of LPs tend to do.

At this point I'm feeling like I'm typing a little bit too much for what this thread is, so I'll leave you with what are probably my favorite 3, but I highly recommend you check out AGDQ. None of these have been AGDQ and that's probably because while the runners are always great there, both their gameplay and commentary is rarely at their best when they're forced to do 1 run live with 0 resets, surrounded by people, and the guy reads out donations constantly which breaks up the commentary somewhat (Hey, it encourages more donations, and that's what matters most.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sorites posted:

Also, people actually do "Let's Play" books and movies. Mark Does Stuff is a blog where a super-cool dude experiences popular media he's never been exposed to, commentates on it more-or-less daily, and everyone has reaction-gif parties in the comments. I also recently read an amazing blog series where a lady who'd never seen Star Wars watched all the movies in Machete Order and wrote along in real time.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Powerfrog posted:

I didn't really have a chance to catch it live, but AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) is always fantastic. I'm still catching up from Summer Games Done Quick 2013.

It's a speedrunning charity marathon that runs 24/7 for over a week with 100's of games and 100's of runners, and the best part is that they're always commentated, often by a bunch of the best people at speedrunning that game in the world. I'm a huge fan of speedruns and LPs so when they add commentary to speedrunning I go nuts.

It's been brought up when it was still running, though I feel bad for you since this marathon also broke a couple of world records IIRC. There was a TAS run of Super Mario World that was demoed live for the first time that does something you'd never expect even with any other TAS. Here's a youtube of the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqp9-tWBVnY start at 43:55.
And the TAS itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxgEXDnXD6M

• Locked thread