Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

Thanks, that was me and they do look good, but I live in the UK where we uninvented guns.

We store our ammo with style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hypnolobster posted:

More expensive and you can't be tipping them all the way over, but they're the best socket trays I've ever used.
http://www.amazon.com/Hansen-Global-Socket-Tray-Pack/dp/B001C6NL52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389479895&sr=8-1&keywords=hansen+socket

The real beauty is they fit the sizes, so you can't go mixing the sockets up accidentally because they won't fit properly.

Lowe's has nearly identical socket trays in SAE and Metric. Buy both sets and you have a 6 tray set for a total of $10.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!

Viper_3000 posted:

What do you guys use for socket storage?

I'm looking at these since I think it'd be nice to carry a whole set out to where I'm working. Especially since my garage is basement level and working on the 2nd floor means 3 flights of stairs if I grab the wrong socket. I'm open to suggestions though.

I like and recommend these. They aren't cheap but work great.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cat Hatter posted:

Lowe's has nearly identical socket trays in SAE and Metric. Buy both sets and you have a 6 tray set for a total of $10.

These look cool. I'm going to try these and if they aren't to my liking I'll grab the magnetic ones I linked originally.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SouthsideSaint posted:

Can anyone recommend a compressor that can run a 3" cutoff wheel, and a small sander. Im getting rid of the rust on my wifes car and have the tools but my compressor is on its last leg and was never good to begin with.

The biggest one you can afford.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

With a large-bore air hose to the tool, not a small-diameter recoil hose.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And by that he means the one with the largest tank and highest CFM at the highest PSI.

I am in no way affiliated with this site but found it useful when purchasing my own compressor recently.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/

Don't forget you'll need a 240v hookup for pretty much any "good" air compressor.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I need some new drill bits! Can anyone recommend a specific brand (or type, material, or something) that doesn't suck rear end after 5 minutes of drilling in steel?

If anyone has a set which they swear by, it would be nice to know. Is there any value to buying a more expensive set, or am I better off using the cheapest I can find?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I need some new drill bits! Can anyone recommend a specific brand (or type, material, or something) that doesn't suck rear end after 5 minutes of drilling in steel?

If anyone has a set which they swear by, it would be nice to know. Is there any value to buying a more expensive set, or am I better off using the cheapest I can find?

Cobalt tipped. Use lube and don't let the bit get too hot.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I use a set of $30 Milwaukee HSS for general every day use. I've also been impressed by this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-high-speed-drill-bit-set-with-index-528.html

If I am drilling a exhaust stud, I will usually use a Triumph or cobalt tipped bit. Slow with lots of lube.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kmcormick9 posted:

Cobalt tipped. Use lube and don't let the bit get too hot.
Yeah, really, any not-from-a-pound-shop drill bits are usually perfectly servicable, but you've got to make sure you let the cutting edge cut rather than just rub.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've put in some use with these, and the reviews are favorable:

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-piece-135-degree-split-point-cobalt-drill-bit-set-36891.html

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Great, thanks guys :D. I'll pick up a set of reasonable cobalt bits and try to take care of them!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What type of lube should I be using with drill bits? I burned one out over the weekend, and would like to not do that again.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

What type of lube should I be using with drill bits? I burned one out over the weekend, and would like to not do that again.

3 in 1 oil works well, hell, I'm sure you could use motor oil in a pinch.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
2-stroke oil worked pretty well for drilling aluminum when I was in a pinch. Hardly any fling and it kept all my shavings gummed together.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TrueChaos posted:

Cutting oil is ideal. A good industrial supply shop is a good bet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually use GL-5 gear lube if I don't have thread cutting oil on hand (read: within reach.) Home Depot stocks large (like 1qt) squeeze bottles of cutting oil, they just keep it in the plumbing section as "pipe thread cutting oil" instead of in the tools section with the tap/die/drills area. :iiam:

It's like 7 bucks for a quart. I actually have two now because I couldn't find one, and bought another, then found the first when I got home. Oh well, it's cheap and I will never ever run out now.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
What brands should I look for or avoid when buying hex keys?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cowwan posted:

What brands should I look for or avoid when buying hex keys?

A set from Lowes or Home Depot should do just fine until you open up a shop of your own.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This set is what I have in my toolbox, it's more than adequate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just be drat careful about metric vs SAE. If it feels even slightly loose, it's the wrong key and you're going to round out the bolt as well as the hex key. Protip: budget (I recommend the Husky set from Home Depot, for hassle free warranty) Torx bits can be hammered into a crummy/rounded out allen bolt and used as an extractor.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Is there a good write up on how to sharpen drill bits? Do you need a drill doctor?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blindjoe posted:

Is there a good write up on how to sharpen drill bits? Do you need a drill doctor?

Drill doctors are awesome. Especially when it belongs to someone else and you get to use it for free.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Watch this guy's videos, he knows everything about drills and machining in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJItj_ISurY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqn2VPGYA9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUMTJ9GZIC8

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, really, any not-from-a-pound-shop drill bits are usually perfectly servicable, but you've got to make sure you let the cutting edge cut rather than just rub.

I bulk buy the cheap ones from screwfix. They blunt quickly and break easily but when a pack of 10 is £1 you can just chuck it and move on to another new one!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Due to a logistics cock-up. I had no metal drill bits when I needed to put up a metal cabinet.

I bought a £1 pack of wood bits thinking that even if I destroyed the bit I was using, it was the easier/cheaper option. And as it was only 1mm mild steel and I only needed to make one screwhole, I thought I'd get through it eventually.

Nope...

A lot of dust and I didn't actually manage to bore a hole through something I could have punched a hole with my penknife in.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can anyone identify this? I assume it is for vehicles since it came out of my Opas tool collection that I inherited.

And my wrenches laying in my second tool box that is moving with me while the big one goes to my dads ranch. I got so much stuff from my Opa that I am splitting it in to multiple tool boxes and each of them still has at least a full set of open end/box end wrenches, crescent wrenches, a socket set and screw drivers plus miscellaneous stuff.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Valve spring compressor.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Deal alert: Home Depot has 20% select Dewalt, Makita, Bosch and more tools right now- combine with giftcards from cardpool for 28% off total! I bought a Makita track saw and sander.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I got a 3/4" drive socket set. I don't need a 3/4" drive socket set, but gently caress it, big shiny tools!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I got a 3/4" drive socket set. I don't need a 3/4" drive socket set, but gently caress it, big shiny tools!

Got a link? I don't need a 3/4 set either, but tools!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Got a link? I don't need a 3/4 set either, but tools!
Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_525173_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Power tools: I can see me needing a new battery drill soon and this might be the time I do it properly, any brand recommendations? Anyone use the ryobi one plus system?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I have a gift voucher for Halfords. But I don't need this. But it's half price. Argh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cakefool posted:

Power tools: I can see me needing a new battery drill soon and this might be the time I do it properly, any brand recommendations? Anyone use the ryobi one plus system?

Can't speak for ryobi, but I am fitting out a Bosch 12V lion setup and I'm very happy with it. The impact is bees knees, batteries hold the charge very well and recharge very fast, <30 min.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS31-2A

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I have a gift voucher for Halfords. But I don't need this. But it's half price. Argh.
Do you need anything more?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I checked out the £100 tool cabinet combo halfords have, the same as the sealey 2020 kit.

I wouldn't put real tools in it. I might give it to a kid, or the wife for her craft tools.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

That's really nice but I'm surprised that they're all 12-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

revmoo posted:

That's really nice but I'm surprised that they're all 12-point.
They're a wall-drive design, so it shouldn't be a major issue - and with it being a breaker and tommy bar rather than a ratchet, the smaller angle between potential fits does have an advantage.