Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a glossary for the terms I'm seeing bandied about in this thread? Specifically stuff like crabbing, whales, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Most of these do not exist outside of the storyline that's pictured -- basically, the Exiles are dimension-hopping adventurers and this is a gathering of pretty much every "what if Wolverine was _x_" out there.

Big White Hairy One looks like... well, let's try and break this down. Sasquatch (Walter Langkowski) was an orange-furred Canadian hero, who turned out to be swapping forms with an ancient Great Beast called Tanaraq. His teammate Snowbird was a demigoddess with animal-form powers, so once Tanaraq took over Sasquatch's earthly form she turned into a white version and ripped his heart out. Later, she died in battle and Sasquatch's spirit came back and reanimated her body, with the side effect of an inadvertent sex change (Walter became Wanda for a while).

So. White Sasquatch means that's the Snowbird variation, presumably with Wolverine's spirit in it instead of Langkowski's. How did the claws get into that body? Hard to say. I count at least four female Wolverines on that splash page, so that may well be the fifth if he got that body the same way Langkowski did.

The little girl on the right doesn't count. That's Elsie Dee, who was an android packed with plastic explosives who was programmed to have Wolverine save her and then detonate once he got close. However, she was given a genius-level intellect instead of the intended 5-year-old's, and thus managed to fight her own programming long enough for her and her R and L -> W speech impediment to travel the world with her even-more-genius-intellect robot duplicate of Wolverine.

:psyduck:

Shielded up at 811 - #6 in Smash Hit 2. I just don't have the heart to try to grind for those Hulk rewards and I need the Punisher covers.

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a glossary for the terms I'm seeing bandied about in this thread? Specifically stuff like crabbing, whales, etc.

Whales are the people who have no problem dropping piles of real money on a free-to-play game. It's generically used sometimes for powerful players who have tons of resources but is traditionally meant to refer to those who bought their way there.

Crabbing refers to the behavior of a pile of crabs in a bucket -- if one tries to climb up and out, the others tend to grab at him and yank him back down. This is strikingly similar to the way PvP works in this game, since having a high score makes you worth more points for those below and thus a very tempting target, making it very difficult to reach high progression rewards.

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 15, 2014

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

JGBeagle posted:

God I hate Hawkeye Modern. Nothing is worse than a character who you have to wait for their abilities to go off. I've yet to hit anyone with his red or blue because either I kill everyone before they can go off or the computer gets a lucky chain that knocks it out on the last turn. :argh:

I've also given up on getting Ares. Never can get enough points to reach that threshold.

See, this is the same argument we just had again. If you actually have the points, the blue one takes 2 whole turns. You lay it down, attack the person you DON'T want it to hit. Turn ends, they go, your turn begins- swap to the person you DO want it to hit, swipe at them, then bam- dead at the start of the next turn. In the 60's, I one-shotted a 4000+ HP Venom. I never leave home without him in this event.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

New Leaf posted:

See, this is the same argument we just had again. If you actually have the points, the blue one takes 2 whole turns. You lay it down, attack the person you DON'T want it to hit. Turn ends, they go, your turn begins- swap to the person you DO want it to hit, swipe at them, then bam- dead at the start of the next turn. In the 60's, I one-shotted a 4000+ HP Venom. I never leave home without him in this event.

It's still a little expensive at 10.

Early morning is the time to start a bracket because no one who plays then has time to grind, probably because they have jobs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

delfin posted:

Shielded up at 811 - #6 in Smash Hit 2. I just don't have the heart to try to grind for those Hulk rewards and I need the Punisher covers.

This morning my bracket exploded. I'm at #5 with 1446. I tried pushing further but matches were increasingly hard/longer now so by the time I squeaked a win I'd already lost to someone else for no gain on points.

#6 and under are at least 350 points under and shielded so I'm hoping I can stay at #5. My top 3 are 2000+ :psyduck:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This morning my bracket exploded. I'm at #5 with 1446. I tried pushing further but matches were increasingly hard/longer now so by the time I squeaked a win I'd already lost to someone else for no gain on points.

#6 and under are at least 350 points under and shielded so I'm hoping I can stay at #5. My top 3 are 2000+ :psyduck:

My bracket is insane.

1) 2322
2) 2007
3) 1943
4) 1973
5) 1801

And I'm in 19th place at 1049. Ran into the same issue of trying to push up to 1200 only to get hit for the same amount of points every time I won. At least I get a black Punisher cover and 100 coins.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, for Ares, does his green get much better at 5 points or is it better to max his red?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Lightning rounds have started.

Ares tournament with Patch Wolvie as the prize.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

What is the point of patch wolvie?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:woop: First Punisher covers! I can now maybe do some of those hunt missions that require him.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Relentless posted:

So, for Ares, does his green get much better at 5 points or is it better to max his red?

As has been noted a few times in the last few pages, the consensus Ares build is 4G / 4R / 5Y. That puts Green in two-match range, doesn't gimp Red at all and gives Yellow the 2-turn cooldown.

messagemode1 posted:

What is the point of patch wolvie?

To thrill the four people who fondly remember Patch. Also presumably as an alternative once they get done whatever it is they're going to do to Astonishing Wolverine.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:woop: First Punisher covers! I can now maybe do some of those hunt missions that require him.

Nice. His Green is useless but his Red and Black have immediate applications.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

So many covers from these recent events, maxed out/near maxed out Punisher, Hulk, Ares, and now Patch is here and I need so much ISO to actually level them all :negative:

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I managed to hold onto a Top 5 spot with 800 points, so now my Punisher is 3/3/5. Oh I can't wait to get more mileage out of that red instakill. I need to get him nice and strong before they need Spidey.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Count me in with the people that love using Buffed Modern Hawkeye. I have his stun down to 2 turns and it's pretty badass.

Also I just realized that (with Cap) when you pick a tile to become a countdown tile, you can choose one of the enemies countdown tiles. It's a quick way to get rid of a damaging tile that's isolated way down at the corner.

They'll probably patch that out soon

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Count me in with the people that love using Buffed Modern Hawkeye. I have his stun down to 2 turns and it's pretty badass.

Also I just realized that (with Cap) when you pick a tile to become a countdown tile, you can choose one of the enemies countdown tiles. It's a quick way to get rid of a damaging tile that's isolated way down at the corner.

They'll probably patch that out soon

Nah, that's the level 5 upgrade to his blue.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

triplexpac posted:

I love stunning whole teams in PvE with Spider-Man and then letting Hawkeye's red attack wipe them all at once.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Oh, holy poo poo. Ares red is a team attack. I thought it was single target. Yes, please!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Open a standard cover: Blue Spider–Man. :stare:
Open another standard cover: Purple Spider–Man. :catstare:

Perhaps I should go buy a lottery ticket while I'm at it!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The last Savage Land ended when I was trying to secure top 15 in the Hulk tournament so I didn't get my red Ares, and this one ended while I was at work so I didn't get my red Ares, so now he's only 1/0/3 and his tournament just popped up :argh:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Out of curiosity, what is your technique for reaching 1000+? Time of day to play, frequent shields, simple grinding?

I shielded only once (at the end) and played in bursts, and went something like 0 - 250, 200 - 500, 350 - 700, 500 - 800 and stopped.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I haven't received any log in freebies for the past week. Is this normal?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Helical Nightmares posted:

I haven't received any log in freebies for the past week. Is this normal?

You have to beat a mission (any one) now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I have completed a mission each day. No freebies for a week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its been wonky all week. Sometimes multiple a day. Sometimes none.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Sick of the uselessness of Hawkeye Modern, and convinced he'll be easier to grind than the four star guy I had in my inventory, I sold him for Ares, so I can have a shot at placing OK in the Ares tournament.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whaaaa, Hawkeye Modern is great... when he's powered up in PvE events. Seriously, in PvE he's king. Wipes out entire enemy teams with a single blast arrow, dodges all hits (pair him with Hulk so the big guy tanks and generates anger tiles) and has massive damage stuns too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can I ask the opinion of the thread? I've got almost 1100 HP saved up now, and I have no idea what to do with it. It was going straight to a level of Ragnarok red until the nerf hit, and now I don't know. I have a 2/5/3 Spiderman, a 5/1/2 Hulk, a 2/2/2 IM40, and a 2/1/2 Punisher that are all on the short list. I'd actually really like to pump it into Doom or Classic Magneto, but my Doom is only 1/0 and Mags is 1/0/1, so they are a ton of lucky drops away from being playable. :(

e: and of course levels are 1250, not sure why I was thinking 1100. Still, I'm close. Also, convince me not to spend it on my last level of Thor yellow. I've got him at 73 and he caps at 77 until I find that last yellow...and as if to tease me, two standard covers spat out Thor green today.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 16, 2014

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Wow, they have really toned down the buffs on the lightning rounds. it's gone from 200% to like 20% bonus.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Phenotype posted:

Can I ask the opinion of the thread? I've got almost 1100 HP saved up now, and I have no idea what to do with it. It was going straight to a level of Ragnarok red until the nerf hit, and now I don't know. I have a 2/5/3 Spiderman, a 5/1/2 Hulk, a 2/2/2 IM40, and a 2/1/2 Punisher that are all on the short list. I'd actually really like to pump it into Doom or Classic Magneto, but my Doom is only 1/0 and Mags is 1/0/1, so they are a ton of lucky drops away from being playable. :(

e: and of course levels are 1250, not sure why I was thinking 1100. Still, I'm close. Also, convince me not to spend it on my last level of Thor yellow. I've got him at 73 and he caps at 77 until I find that last yellow...and as if to tease me, two standard covers spat out Thor green today.

There's a free Thor yellow at 1600 points in SHIELD training. You could probably grind up the tree fairly reasonably since nobody ever does it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Sit on it until the nerf bat is out or free respecs are in.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Stickman posted:

Sit on it until the nerf bat is out or free respecs are in.

Free respecs? HAHAHA that's not gonna happen here, they said they'd look into respecs, what will probably happen is you can pay HP to reduce the level of a skill, if your lucky they'll give you 2 free reductions on a hero after a nerf, but there is no way they'll let you level it back up without paying HP. I don't think they have said anything about respecs being free. I'm sure they'd actually make more money allowing you to pay HP to reduce a skill then the current rebuild from scratch. Or maybe a cover can also be used to do it "free", but I kinda doubt they'd do that they seem to think respecs are going to be hard to code.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

pixaal posted:

they seem to think respecs are going to be hard to code.

The easiest thing would simply be a popup when you train a new cover that says "This character already has the maximum number of covers. To train this cover, pick an existing cover to replace [buttons for other two colors]."

But I'm sure they'll figure out a way to monetize it instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JagGator posted:

The easiest thing would simply be a popup when you train a new cover that says "This character already has the maximum number of covers. To train this cover, pick an existing cover to replace [buttons for other two colors]."

But I'm sure they'll figure out a way to monetize it instead.

A few devs chipped in on the issue on the forums, stating that this is their preferred candidate for the respec system so far, but no guarantees or timeframe can be offered yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

delfin posted:

Out of curiosity, what is your technique for reaching 1000+? Time of day to play, frequent shields, simple grinding?

I shielded only once (at the end) and played in bursts, and went something like 0 - 250, 200 - 500, 350 - 700, 500 - 800 and stopped.

I generally join in the morning after the event starts (5-7am depending on when I wake up for work which is like 12 hours into the event). From there I casually fight up to the first heroic token and keep myself fighting thorough out the day / night, gauging retaliations. If I sense a break I push further. On the night before the event ends I make an actual push as high as I can or until I get too many retaliations. This hulk event was the first time I reached as high as I did the night before. I dropped an 8 hour shield then broke it early in the morning to climb to 1000 or so. From there I put a 3 hour shield which wouldn't cover me until the end do I fought a bit more and managed to get the 1200 hulk cover. Then I used one more shield to hold my spot until the event ended.

With a little better timing of when I do my pushes, I could save myself a shield but who knows. I did get lucky with my bracket where #11XX was enough for top 5.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pixaal posted:

Free respecs? HAHAHA that's not gonna happen here, they said they'd look into respecs, what will probably happen is you can pay HP to reduce the level of a skill, if your lucky they'll give you 2 free reductions on a hero after a nerf, but there is no way they'll let you level it back up without paying HP. I don't think they have said anything about respecs being free. I'm sure they'd actually make more money allowing you to pay HP to reduce a skill then the current rebuild from scratch. Or maybe a cover can also be used to do it "free", but I kinda doubt they'd do that they seem to think respecs are going to be hard to code.

By "free respec" I mean "free respec after balance changes", a la WOW, etc. With the nerf bat swinging wildly, spending HP on anything other than inventory slots or shields is an "at your own risk" investment. I'm hoping they'll realize they're tanking incentive to spend money on the game, and give people the one-time option to downgrade the abilities on recently-nerfed characters for a full HP refund (and preferably ISO too).

In the meantime, don't spend HP or real money upgrading abilities unless you really like burning money. And just burning it would at least keep you warm!

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

A big advantage of Wolverine Patch is that it looks like he may have great synergy with Loki on your team.

A big disadvantage of course is that you have Loki on your team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I really want to get these PVE event rewards but I just cannot play all of these fights every twelve hours for nine days. They need some better pacing in these events, this game feels too much like an obligation sometimes.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Stickman posted:

By "free respec" I mean "free respec after balance changes", a la WOW, etc. With the nerf bat swinging wildly, spending HP on anything other than inventory slots or shields is an "at your own risk" investment. I'm hoping they'll realize they're tanking incentive to spend money on the game, and give people the one-time option to downgrade the abilities on recently-nerfed characters for a full HP refund (and preferably ISO too).

In the meantime, don't spend HP or real money upgrading abilities unless you really like burning money. And just burning it would at least keep you warm!
I was prepared to spend like $20 on this game on the holidays, but with the Rag nerf I spent my $$$ on Final Fantasy Tactics and The World Ends With You instead.

I have a 5/5 Rag at 100. There are different ways I would have handled the nerf but I don't mind. I fully believe that he needed a nerf, but without any respec system in place I can understand how some players may feel like they've been "bait-and-switched".

Overall the lesson is: don't spend money on characters because they can and will be changed at any time, also spend HP on inventory slots only.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I respecced Rag from 5/5 to 5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I respecced Rag from 5/5 to 5/5.
I was more thinking along the lines of being able to "drain" ISO from his levels and get some of your ISO back (at the cost of a small tax or something). :v:

But now that his one and only useful power is gone maybe he does need a third?