Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What do you guys think happened here? Southern states version of Anne Frank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe it pops up like the roof of an old VW camper van??

Or maybe their roof was so hosed up they just build a big box over top rather than re-finish the existing roof?
OR maybe there's a sweet hillbilly loft up there? It seems too low to actually really give any extra space. Is there maybe like solar water heating or something up top??

I love how the house is just sort of up on blocks, like it got its foundation stolen by parking in the wrong neighbourhood.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Hard to tell from the weird angles and distortion in the picture, but it looks like there is a roof running perpendicular to that one and that the closest section of the house was actually brought there from somewhere else. I'd guess that it was broken up, trucked there, reassembled, and then there was the problem with what to do with the water running off the roof from the new structure. That extra roof keeps water from running into the valley between the two houses, and I'd imagine it was cheaper than trying to remove the trusses from the addition and doing it properly. About 1/2 the houses in my town are from the 30's-50's so the second floors on a lot of them were small, cramped, and lots of sloped ceilings (mine included) and such there were a lot of "barn dormers" added (mine included) to allow for people to stand upright near walls, and to allow for bathrooms on the second floor. That architectual abortion looks nothing like an addition, and just a quick fix.

Speaking of crappy construction (literal crappy). My uncle just sold his house that he recently renovated (third house he has flipped) and is planning to move into another one that's been vacant for about 10 years. He ripped the interior walls off the first floor and found the only thing insulating them is hundreds and hundreds of lbs of mouse crap. Seems that they took all the insulation from the exterior walls and moved it to the interior ones. So walls that were never insulated are now packed with chewed insulation, and the exterior ones are almost completely devoid of insulation. I'm going to try and get some pics before he insulated and covers it up again as it is a sight to behold.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it pops up like the roof of an old VW camper van??

Or maybe their roof was so hosed up they just build a big box over top rather than re-finish the existing roof?
OR maybe there's a sweet hillbilly loft up there? It seems too low to actually really give any extra space. Is there maybe like solar water heating or something up top??

I love how the house is just sort of up on blocks, like it got its foundation stolen by parking in the wrong neighbourhood.

I'll buy that it's a hillbilly loft seeing as it's a house that has an addition with an addition on the addition.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you follow the roof line, you'll see that the main part of the house has a double sloped roof, but the back of the house (add on room?) has a sloped roof, but one side of the main house's roof drains into.. not a flat spot, but a corner on the roof.

The black box on top or the roof changes the slope of the roof so the water has a place to go.

That's what I'm guessing, at least.

SneakyBeef
Jan 1, 2012
Some guys I work with got called in to clean up someone else's mess. From what I heard the whole job was botched. Sadly, this is the only picture they took.

http://www.imgur.com/n2SNaro

Edit: gonna have to link it; keeps showing up broken when I embed it

SneakyBeef fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 14, 2014

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the banner ads, there is one that shows an interior stairwell that is insulated on the underside, but the link goes to a game thread or something completely unrelated. I'm pretty sure that picture came from a thread in this forum. Is he being mocked for pointlessly overdoing it, or did he do it for a logical reason like he had a bunch of extra insulation and stuck it under there for sound/echo deadening?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

In the banner ads, there is one that shows an interior stairwell that is insulated on the underside, but the link goes to a game thread or something completely unrelated. I'm pretty sure that picture came from a thread in this forum. Is he being mocked for pointlessly overdoing it, or did he do it for a logical reason like he had a bunch of extra insulation and stuck it under there for sound/echo deadening?

Let me sing you the song of the Groverhaus...

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

SkunkDuster posted:

The stairway was insulated by Grover, who also coined the term "load-bearing drywall," I believe.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SneakyBeef posted:

Some guys I work with got called in to clean up someone else's mess. From what I heard the whole job was botched. Sadly, this is the only picture they took.

http://www.imgur.com/n2SNaro

Edit: gonna have to link it; keeps showing up broken when I embed it

I understand that people enjoy teasing out "so what the hell am I supposed to be looking at" responses. But come on, give a LITTLE effort explaining when you post photos.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm sort of familiar with the saga of the Groverhaus and the fallout of the thread but I don't recall much about the actual construction or what he did for his name to become synonymous with load bearing drywall. Does that thread still exist, or was it completely deleted?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm sort of familiar with the saga of the Groverhaus and the fallout of the thread but I don't recall much about the actual construction or what he did for his name to become synonymous with load bearing drywall. Does that thread still exist, or was it completely deleted?

You can google it to find most of the important text, and pics, if you are so inclined.

And yeah, hundreds of groverhaus threads have been gassed over the years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you GIS Groverhaus you'll get a lot of gems. I landed a ban for making references to construction techniques pioneered by Grover.

This is a good one...

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

all that google image search did was make me lust for more knowledge of what happened...

Grover? Let's party, man.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I am afraid the Google image search just confused me. Without context, I see a guy digging up the yard, a pretty nicely finished set of stairs (ignoring the insulation), and a patch of missing siding. ???

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

apatite posted:

all that google image search did was make me lust for more knowledge of what happened...

Grover? Let's party, man.

I found this on a very odd site Something Sensitive A site of ex-Goons devoted to stirring trouble at Something Awful.

LITERALLY A RAPIST posted:

grover built an awful, terrible house both from a structural and aesthetic point of view. his house was so terrible that he couldn't get a professional engineer (PE) to sign off on it so that everything would be kosher with the state/local municipality. Rather than actually correcting all the loving issues with his house, grover, an electrical engineer, ended up just taking the state PE exam and certifying it himself (lol ethics what ethics). there's a bunch of pictures on this

there was all kinds of stupid poo poo he did and put things in places that didn't make sense, like putting a thermostat in a position that would get hit by direct sunlight.

whether or not lowtax's house is actually lovely built I dunno but someone had pictures up of his custom mcmansion either on TNE or MPC and it was just godawful. There was no consistency with the design or decorating and it was ugly as gently caress

http://somethingsensitive.com/index.php?topic=6.25

Edit: I also found this http://pastebin.com/AtNN0E2f

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 15, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the main thing with Grover House is that at the time he was a mod, and a mod no one really respected because he was some right wing gun nut who couldn't stop giving the US military hand-jobs, that and not a very good mod. So they jumped at the chance to mock him for something very mockable. A guy like that can't laugh poo poo off and other mods got sick of the "drama" so made it bannable to even mention his house.

Also I THINK some goons in the area tried to visit the house and even alert the local authorities as to his insanely unethical (and probably illegal if investigated) "inspection" which was seen as touching the poop or what ever.

I don't know how hosed the codes are where he built his house but there's no way his place should have passed inspection in any developed country.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Rather than actually correcting all the loving issues with his house, grover, an electrical engineer, ended up just taking the state PE exam and certifying it himself.

This part is pretty funny though.

I have an EE degree, I wonder if I can do that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The main thread I remember about it did give us these Hunter Thompson-esque gems:

quote:

Well, that does it. Fire marshal came down and shouted, actually shouted at me because my awful, horrible desire to have outlets actually be conveniently placed, (that is, if I want to plug something in, I can do it no matter where in the house I'm standing, sitting, or working on a ladder) was "immediately endangering the lives" of my family - his words. So, he ordered us to do some rewiring. I slipped 2000mg of Aminorex into Old Wifey's breakfast-for-dinner, so she's out in the secondary TV room maniacally delving into the insulation and tearing out big bundles of wiring. I'm just taking a beer break and updating the thread, which I guess I shouldn't be doing, since current's still flowing in the wiring she's not supposed to remove. In some rooms, though, we're just gonna stuff in another layer of insulation and put the 'correct' wiring in over the top

quote:

Failed ANOTHER inspection - Different fire marshal - SAME wiring. Call me paranoid but I can't imagine that two completely different fire marshals, from competely different government bodies (the city and the state police), would just randomly come to the same conclusion about such a clever wiring setup. I pointed out that Id already purchased and installed over 180 outlets over the course of the project, so I probably knew what I was doing by now. And anyway, I could have every outlet-capable thing I own plugged in, on, and running, and it wouldn't even take up a quarter of them. Meanwhile, the Ol Wifenheimer, fuzzed out of her mind on black bombers and kratom, skittered by like a trembling woodcutter ant with several dozen sheets of plywood hoisted above her quietly jabbering head. I told the Marshal how much I wanted them but he shook his head sadly and said, "Grover, you need to choose a few outlets, and you need to take the rest away. You can't have them all, it's dangerous, you could burn your house down and you don't want to die in a terrible fire? Do you? That's why we need you to take the wires out, Grover, so you don't hurt yourself and your family." I swore up and down that I'd do the work, and not just try to fool him with a new fake-wiring setup like I did the other guy, but now that he's walked out the door - I kind of feel like just leaving it, and then start dodging inspections until after I get licensed up myself vv

Some of the problems I remember off the top of my head -- he laid out the foundations with one of those stretchy tapes used for soccer fields so everything was offsquare, he didn't properly compact the earth around his sewer pipe so it floated up to the surface and exploded, he set fire to the vinyl siding by barbecuing right up against the wall of the house, parts of the ceiling weren't actually connected to the building by anything other than hurricane straps, the thermostat was in direct sun beside a south-facing window and also halfway up a staircase. It's a never-ending chain of wonderful schadenfreude but I'm still a little wary about how much you're allowed to post.

e: also he worked as an EE for a military contractor that did work on Navy ships so someone posted that "someday, some poor sailor is going to go to flush the john and accidentally start WW3" and that cracked me up for like a day.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 15, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The part that keeps coming up when I google search is how he claims that it's "illegal" to secure non load bearing walls to the floor or ceiling with anything more than a slipjoint because then it can inadvertently carry some of the weight of the house and "become load bearing".

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Surely... surely that was an elaborate troll. Pretty please?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

apatite posted:

Surely... surely that was an elaborate troll. Pretty please?

There were dozens of photos. If it was a troll, he literally built a building to pull it off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He should have been banned for building the house rather than the people making fun of him.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a mod, and suddenly everything about the forums made sense.

edit for clarity: and then de-modded, sadly

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Under cabinet outlets
Over cabinet outlets
Hanging ceiling outlets
Island outlets

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Under cabinet outlets
Over cabinet outlets
Hanging ceiling outlets
Island outlets

Welcome to OUTLET MALL

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, sometimes you need an outlet wherever you happen to be sitting. What if I'm hanging out on top of the cupboards and my laptop battery is running low? PROBLEM SOLVED. :colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Why was he drugging his wife?

Also, did he put in outlets wrong, or is it just wrong to have that many outlets?

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

MisterOblivious posted:

Under cabinet outlets
Over cabinet outlets
Hanging ceiling outlets
Island outlets

Wow. I remember that thread, but stopped reading it when he was framing the place. I missed out.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Also just how insanely ugly the house looked, and the fact that nearly every window was different and weirdly spaced.

There's a thread in the gas chamber somewhere with most of the pics still intact.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The best part is seeing him giving electrical advice in the wiring thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, did he put in outlets wrong, or is it just wrong to have that many outlets?

You can (typically by most codes) have that many outlets if you install them properly and the individual circuits they are on are appropriately sized. But you have to justify that under Article 220 of the NEC (if you're exceeding the capacity of your service entrance, which one would have to assume is the case).

If I was the inspector at that site I would be running him through the ringer simply because of the general appearance of the job site. Once you've been going to sites for a while you learn what to look out for. And that thing had all the red flags that say: scrutinize everything to the absolute limit of your authority or you're gonna end up in a bad spot later on when you're sitting in court on a criminal (followed by a civil) suit that you may even be a named party in because your signature is on one of the approvals (because it either collapsed or burnt down and someone got hurt or killed in the process).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh, no, those two posts re. drugging the wife and using her as slave labor were someone else taking the piss, but like all great parodies, it's only a small jump from the truth:

quote:

Now that my wife has an adderall prescription, she'll go at it like a machine until 1 or 2am some days and get tons done. Right now, I think she's a bit upset because all I've done on the flooring all day is one tiny piece, which I finished, and then immediately took a 2-hour break, lol! Speaking of which, I should probably go put some more flooring in before she gets back from Lowes... (I've spent most of the last 8 hours composing and replying to this thread)

Yyyyeeeep.

SneakyBeef
Jan 1, 2012

Devor posted:

I understand that people enjoy teasing out "so what the hell am I supposed to be looking at" responses. But come on, give a LITTLE effort explaining when you post photos.

Those two conductors wouldn't fit in the breaker. So these guys stuck some lugs in the breaker and used a ball of tape to stop them from bucking phase.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man in my apartment all the outlets are at one end of it where I can't actually put any electronics. I had to buy some power strips with ridiculously long cables. Whatever his other faults are, I can get behind the outlets everywhere. You never realize all the places you need them unless there isn't one.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, no, those two posts re. drugging the wife and using her as slave labor were someone else taking the piss, but like all great parodies, it's only a small jump from the truth:

Yyyyeeeep.

In complete fairness, when you finally get medicated for ADD doing things like a real grownup is seriously fun and awesome. I was a dish washing MACHINE when I started my pills.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pile of Kittens posted:

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a mod, and suddenly everything about the forums made sense.

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a licensed inspector, and suddenly the crappy constructions in this thread made sense.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pile of Kittens posted:

FogHelmut posted:

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a licensed inspector, and suddenly the crappy constructions in this thread made sense.

Umm...I'm not sure either of you know what "schadenfreude" means.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man in my apartment all the outlets are at one end of it where I can't actually put any electronics. I had to buy some power strips with ridiculously long cables. Whatever his other faults are, I can get behind the outlets everywhere. You never realize all the places you need them unless there isn't one.

I think there's a happy middle ground between having like one outlet per room and having an outlet every 6 feet on every surface of the house including ceiling and floor. That picture is insane. He loves to tell people in the wiring thread that the NEC has no limit for the number of outlets per breaker in residential construction, so it's probably safe to assume that the 4 dozen outlets in that picture are on way fewer circuits than they should be.

FogHelmut posted:

He didn't become an inspector, he got his engineering license which lets him approve construction drawings and take on some of the criminal/civil responsibility that Motronic mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I have some non-Grover related news . . . which coincidentally involves insulation. . but not stairs!

I have a "junk room" at the back of the house. It's an approx 8x16' room that used to be an open porch, but was enclosed when the upstairs addition was added to the house sometime during its 85 years. It's freaking cold, and before the furnace was installed, this room managed to get cold enough to freeze the pipes in the bathroom above it. Now that there is a furnace it is much better, but still hovering around 5 degrees (Celsius) when the furnace is idling and it's below 20 outside. I figured it was just really poorly insulated and decided that I'd finally do something about it today. My mother wasn't busy and decided to bring her truck into town so we could make some dump runs and get rid of the trash we ripped out.

We were about to start when my mom noticed that the west-facing wall was quite cold. We decided to start on that one. I got the skill saw and made a few cuts and then ripped the boards off. I was greeted by a blast of cold air!

Not a spec of insulation in the bloody thing!

I mean not even a shred of anything! The only thing we could find was newspaper (flat) sandwiched between the wood siding on the outside of the house and the boards they were hammed to.

I ripped a few boards off the wall next to this one (right side, blueish-grey patch). And was relieved to be greeted with vapour barrier and fiberglass insulation.

Next, we set about putting in some vapour barrier, then filling the spaces with R12 insulation (only a 2x4" wall).

I also ripped the first panel off the ceiling and was glad to see stripping and styrofoam insulation.

I forgot to take more pictures, but currently the wall has been covered in vapour barrier and the wall to the righ has been stripped of the wood paneling. I'm going to replace the ceiling and the other two walls with drywall. Eventually (when I get some money) I'm going to rip the wood paneling off the outsides of the house and put on some 1" foil-covered styrofoam insulation and then some nice vinyl siding, so I'm not worried about there only being 4" of R12 in the walls here. For the life of me I can't understand why the previous owners would go to the trouble of insulating the other two walls, but leaving this one completely devoid of insulation. There used to be a wood stove in this room, so they obviously wanted it to be warm, so why not take the 10 minutes (before they put on the paneling) and insulate the drat thing?